Start by marking “Instant Chef Starter” as Want to Read:
Instant Chef Starter

Instant Chef Starter

Published February 2013 by Packt Publishing (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Instant Chef Starter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Instant Chef Starter

Start your review of Instant Chef Starter
Josh Miller
Apr 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Instant Chef Starter is an introductory book about Chef, an open-source configuration management and automation platform. John Ewart and Packt Publishing have published a book that will allow a system administrator with no prior Chef experience to get Chef up and running within a day, if not a few hours, by using this guide. If one has already decided that buying a book is the best way to learn Chef basics, I can easily recommend this one.

The book opens with a clear introduction of Chef, along
Jeremy Koerber
May 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book is a great crash course on the basic principles of Chef. Very quick read. I should mention the version is outdated (10.x vs 11.x) and there are other, quicker ways of performing some of the tasks outlined in the book. But as someone who has some Chef experience, I appreciated the fact that it didn't go into a ton of detail about ALL the various ways you could accomplish something with Chef, and instead focused on the core principles: cookbooks, recipes, roles, attributes, templates, ...more
Ron
Oct 29, 2013 rated it it was ok
This was a pretty good book on how to get Chef installed, and the couple of pages in the back on where to get other information were OK, but it's chapters on how to actually use Chef were disappointing. They have a pretty good intro of how to find recipes, but the coverage of writing your own was very poor and left a lot (in my opinion) of work on me to figure out where to go to find out what I really needed to know.
Codfather
Jul 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a great introduction into using the Chef system to manage and maintain your server estate. Having come from a puppet background , there are a lot of similarities, so it probably got me up to speed faster than someone with no experience in this area.

I'm sure there are much more in-depth books on the topic, but thats not the audience this book is for.

I can highly recommend it , if you want to get up and running with chef quickly.

Peter Sellars
Sep 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Really just looking for a starter - practical introduction to Chef and some of the concepts. Having used Puppet for a few years the time had come to investigate Chef. It illustrated some of the concepts I had heard about and outlined Chef use cases that I liked.
Ben Cordero
Aug 27, 2013
Kevin Powe
Aug 19, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: computer-geekery
A good introduction to the concepts of Chef, but very overpriced for what it is.
Richard Slater
Sep 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
great introduction to Chef, covers the basics.
Vel