Start by marking “Ember X (Death Collectors, #1)” as Want to Read:
Ember X (Death Collectors, #1)

Ember X

(Death Collectors #1)

(New adult paranormal version of my young adult book, Ember (Death Collectors, #1). It contains more violence and more sexual content.)

**Mature Content Advisory**
Recommended for readers 17+ due to sexual situations and language.

For nineteen-year-old Ember, life has always been about death. With a simple touch, she can see when someone will die. It’s her curse and the rea
Published April 19th 2013 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform (first published August 28th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Ember X, please sign up.
Praneesha 'X' denotes the adult version of the book recommended for 17+ readers. The ones without the "X" are the YA versions.

Michelle
Mar 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
2 stars
I've had this one on my kindle for a while and now I know why. lol
This book just didn't work for me. Maybe I should of read the YA version instead. But I can't make myself try that version or even try to go any further. I didn't care for or connect to any of the characters in the book.
Tess
wow. This book is Terrible.
Hate the main character. Are all teens ADD now? Her life is too messed up to believe, she sees people's deaths, and yet she is mainly concerned with whether or not she should go on a date with either of the two new boys in her class. Oh, not to mention her car gets run off the road into a lake and she doesn't even seem to mind. Plus her best friend seems to be losing her mind recently, but yeah sure let's go to another party. or wait, let me write terrible poetry on my
Ashleyjo
Jul 04, 2016 rated it it was ok
I promise that I'm not being dramatic or trying to be mean, but this is what I imagine would happen if an author were to trip on a shit ton of pharmaceutical substances while watching something like...

description

That said, I did keep reading. While the plot twists are glaringly obvious, there's still this WTF element to it that's hard to look away from.

What's What

The blurb doesn't really tell you what you're getting here.

Girl sees people's deaths through touch. It's a burden, a curse. She has one fr
Michelle's Paranormal Vault of Books
This review is also at my blog, with added pictures too Michelle's Paranormal Vault of Books

WOW, this book was amazing; Jessica has done it again, created a great story, which puts you on the edge of your seat! I stayed up half the night to finish this, I could not stop. I had to know what happened next. This book has a broken family, betrayal, impossible love triangle, (but not really in the way you think) and trying to guess who or what anyone is, is hard, you will be wrong!

In this book, Ember
Jaye
Couldn't finish this one. I thought it was badly written almost as if the author had rushed through it. It had a very overdone, melodramatic, and juvenile feel to it. Not something I was looking for.

A lot of the language and dialogue was extremely fanciful. Not to mention, it was all about the raven. Ravens abounded. They were everywhere. Not only as a reference to the actual bird, but as the name of Ember's friend; it was also used as a descriptor. There were a lot of raven feathers, too.

Moreov
Amanda
I see a lot of 3-5 star reviews for this book...and I'm confused. Did we all read the same book, here?
This was awful. Shockingly bad. I hate to abandon any book so I forced myself to finish it. I'm surprised my eyes didn't bleed out of my skull.
Everything felt ridiculously contrived and a lot of the supposed angst was just laughable. I love a depressing or 'angsty' read, but the image of a teenage girl wandering around a graveyard and spouting really bad poetry made me chuckle. And not in a go
Kandice Dover
Sep 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this on amazon for free and said "Hey! Another book by Jessica!" So I got it.

I really don't know what to say because I am just soooo mind blown.

I really liked Ember. Although there were a few times where I thought she could give Raven a piece of her mind. She's quiet, and sometimes her quietness got a little annoying. At certain parts of the book I was screaming at her to say something. She's way too nice for her own good, something I can relate to.

Raven was a little on the wild side.
Zuleeza
Actual rating 2.5 stars.

Blegh. Meh.

This was really, really average. Like, precisely average.

I remember liking Sorensen's earlier work, The Fallen Star. I thought it was entertaining albeit the writing sounded like a paranormal chick lit.

So, of course, a year later, I expected more from Sorensen. Much more. She wrote a bunch of other books in between The Fallen Star and Ember.

*sigh*

Very well, it came to this anyway. I don't think I'll ever finish The Fallen Star series.

Ember. At first glance, it
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)

I think I'm in the minority when I say I didn't really like this book. It was okay, but it certainly didn't blow me out of the water. One big red flag is that I had to push myself to finish each chapter. I really wanted to stop reading after the first 10% but I hate DNF books, and I wanted to give it an honest shot.

And it honestly underwhelmed me.

I thought the concept was so fresh and interesting but I didn't love the execution. It felt garbled and very YA-y in a bad way. It picked up
Slavena
Mar 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone who likes YA
Recommended to Slavena by: Angelika
When I picked this book up on a recommendation I was not sure I will like it, because it involves elements I am not drawn to in a book: it is YA, which means it is light on the romance and it is about a girl who is in high-school. Those 2 things usually are a no for me, because since I left high-school I do not think I want to revisit all the messed up adolescent drama.

Another drawback was the cover - it looks very amateurish and it looks like a porcelain doll some high school students drew with
Michelle Bolanger
I wanted to really like this book because I loved the premise of it.

Right off the bat, I had trouble connecting with Ember's character. Maybe it was the POV the book was written in. I'm not a fan of the tense this was written in.

Quote:
The window is open and a black feather is ruffled on my bed. I pick it up and my gaze lands on the wall, where the ink of a fresh poem is drying.

What I liked:
I liked Asher and honestly kept reading because I wanted to know for sure who (or what) he really was. I t
Jacqueline's Reads
A Jessica Sorensen book! Yes please!

What if you knew when someone was going to die?

For seventeen-year-old Ember, life is death. With a simple touch, she knows when someone will die. It’s her curse and the reason she secludes herself from the world. The only person who knows her secret is her best friend Raven.

Then she meets Asher Morgan. He’s gorgeous, mysterious, and is the only person Ember can't sense death from. So when he pushes into her life, she doesn’t mind.

But when unexplained deaths s
Kristin Campbell
Much like the original story with the review... but, the "hot" scenes... oh wow!

I really enjoyed re-reading this book with its minor changes. Everyone is more grown up in this story, but not much else has changed. I will say that it has grown the flame that makes me desperate for the next book! When? When is it coming out!?!
Brooke (The Cover Contessa)
I received an ARC ecopy of this book for participating in the blog tour this month. I will give an honest review which is in now way influenced by receiving a free copy of this book. I want to than Jessica and SupaGurl Tours for providing me with a copy.

I will be honest and say that I actually read the blurb for this one when I first added it to my TBR (which was way before I was asked to participate in the blog tour). I rarely read the blurb, but the cover just looked to good to pass up and I n
Marie
OH DEAR, MY MINDS SCREWED AGAIN.
MY BRAINS INCOHERENT. THOUGHTS SWIRLING ROUND MY HEAD. SO MANY I CAN BARELY THINK.

IM TOO MIND BOGGLED TO WRITE A DECENT REVIEW RIGHT NOW... BUT THIS WAS NUTS! ABSOLOUTLEY CRAZY. EVERYONE WAS CRAZY. SOMEONE SAID 'HANGING OUT WITH REAPERS MAKE ANY HUMANS CLOSE TO THEM GO CRAZY, WHAT THEY FAILED TO MENTION WAS ANY READERS READING THIS BOOK ALSO GO CRAZY,

WHAT A BOOK THOUGH. DAMN JESSICA YOU OUTDID YOURSELF WITH THIS ONE GIRL

I'VE LOVED EVERY BOOK YOU'VE WRITTEN. THE
Paula
Sep 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-5-stars
I am confused, dumbfounded and breathless.
This was one hell of a story. Creative, dark, emotional.

Ember, a girl that can see people's death by touching them has her life thrown upside down when two boys come into her life, Asher and Cameron. Things get confusing and dangerous as she realizes that things are not what they seem.

This was a gripping tale. Absolutely addictive. There was just no way of knowing what will happen next. Jessica Sorenson kept the suspense level on life-threatening high
Booknut
Aug 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With enough raven's-wing feathers to keep even Edgar Allen Poe content, Ember will have you seeing death like never before.
Charisse
Oct 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Ah, what can I say about Ember X.

Well, for starters, it was bloody amazing; even though technically this is my second time to read the first book in the death collectors series. I'm not usually a "re-reader" because there are so many different books out there yet to be discovered, but I needed to read book two and three finally, and since I was buddy reading this with a friend and she had not read book one, I choose to give the adult version a go.

Let me start by saying I equally love "Ember" t
D.
Aug 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Holy Biscuits and gravy!!!!!!

This book was fantastic! I certainly would give it the maximin stars!!! I will not go into the story, because truly I feel as though, I would not be able to explain the full depth of it. Plus, you need to read it. I am certain you would love this book! I personally Loved IT!!!!!!

Have you ever had your toes press to the ground making your knee jump up and down. But not realizing it, until you happen to look down and see it! Well that is what was happening to me, thr
Rose
WARNING: an annoying amount of use of the word "ridiculous".

Great concept, awful execution. The result: ridiculous characters, ridiculous plot (with plot holes and all), ridiculous execution of a great concept, ridiculous romance, ridiculous EVERYTHING.

This book didn't make me angry and hate it with a fiery passion but it annoyed me. I do have to say that it entertained me with its ridiculousness for a while but there's only so much of it you can laugh about until it annoys you.

Ridiculous. The o
Amanda
Aug 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was captivated by the dark undercurrent of the book. It literally had me hanging off the edge of my seat (and possibly a little talking...erm...I mean screaming at my Kindle) I'm a HUGE fan of Jessica's other series (Fallen Star, Fallen Souls, Darkness Falls; Let's face it I'm a JESSICA JUNKIE) however, this series takes the cake. (and the ice cream- yeah, it's THAT GOOD) 'Ember' had me so twisted, I couldn't decide who to trust or who the 'bad or good guy' was because well, Asher and Cameron ...more
LiarLiar
i didn't expect this to be short >.<
but yeah I LOVE iT
i am So looking forward to the next one .

i love this poem in the book :)
" The ember dies slowly in a mound of ash .
darkness and mourning, it longs to burn fire . but the
smoke and sorrow let it die .
the need for a spark asserts fiercely. but
a spark won't surrender. So the ember continues
to smother. Into ash,into dust, into nothing.
And that's how it will stay forever. "

for me it sounds like a prophecy
directing to ember herself :)
1-Click Addict Support Group
Jul 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Another winner from Jessica Sorenson! This book is deep, dark and smoldering. I've never read a more original plot that had me on the edge of my seat. I simply could not put this book down, nor could I put the rest of the series down!

It's titled Ember-X for a reason; it's deliciously X rated! Jessica took this paranormal to a whole new level that hasn't been done before, and added a whole new type of smokin' to the book. I loved every minute! ~ Kelly, 4.5 stars
Journal
May 20, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was so bad! Just horrible, horrible, horrible. This is what you shouldn't do when you write a book. And the character's habit of not taking a shower was disgusting! Did anyone else notice? Gah!!!!
Coco.V
Apr 13, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebies
🎁 FREE on Amazon today (4/13/2019)! 🎁
Corina
Sep 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ember

It’s finally happened; prepare yourself for the end of the world…

I’m Team Asher!

How I Met Your Mother Gif

Can you believe it? Because I can’t. Typically I am totally the bad boy type, but for some reason despite Cameron’s allure I’m madly infatuated with Asher. As per usual I have to open my review whilst declaring my love for my favorite male in the book. It’s just how I do things.

Ember, by Jessica Sorensen is amazing. The story revolves around 17-year-old Ember who with a simple touch knows when someone will
Jodie
Finished reading Ember by Jessica Sorensen. Being confused is an understatement

I do not dare to rate this one.
I will just say 'I read it'

Synopsis from goodreads *not sure if I have the ‘right’ synopsis version?*

**Mature Content Advisory**
Recommended for readers 17+ due to sexual situations and language.

For nineteen-year-old Ember, life has always been about dea
Dragana
Ember X is a new adult version of young adult paranormal novel Ember by Jessica Sorensen. Ember, our narrator, has an unorthodox ability. Whenever she touches or is touched someone, Ember has a death omen: premonition how and when that person is going to die. Tortured by these painful and horrific visions (since in her town obviously no one never dies peacefully or from old age) Ember shuns away from human contact. With dead father, alcoholic mother and crazy-artistic brother, Ember's only confi ...more
Joan{missing the vampire bunny slippers!}

This books gets extra points just for making me doubt myself more than once! I thought I had everyone figured out pretty soon, but I was always reserved, afraid that someone might surprise me. Especially when it came to Cameron I hadn't made up my mind completely until the very end.

Honestly this wasn't the best book I read this year, or the most original one, but it flowed easily and with a little more work it could go somewhere.

As far as main characters go Ember wasn't half bad. She
Shaheen
Apr 24, 2013 rated it it was ok
This version the book is an extended new adult edition of the YA release Ember, but I found the new parts clumsy and ultimately unnecessary. Which is not to say that I think I would have enjoyed the original YA version much better - this book has a premise that has been executed better elsewhere.

Ember can see your death just by touching you. So she doesn't have many friends and has a hard time going out in public. Parties, in particular, are hard for her, and forget about a boyfriend! The she me

• Dark Seraphine (Seraphine Trilogy, #1)
  • Witch (The Devil's Roses, #4)
  • Valor (Greystone, #1)
  • Shattered Grace (Fallen from Grace, #1)
  • Inhale (Just Breathe, #1)
  • Witch Way Bends (Bend-Bite-Shift Trilogy, #1)
  • Drip Drop Teardrop
  • The Space Between (Space, #1)
  • Stained (Stained, #1)
  • Blood Like Poison: The Trilogy (Blood Like Poison, #1-3)
  • Strength (Mark of Nexus, #1)
  • Descension (Mystic, #1)
  • Jaguar Sun (Jaguar Sun, #1)
  • Reckoning (Dark Prophecy, #1)
  • The Seven Devils
  • Lash (Broken Angel, #1)
  • Masquerade (Heven and Hell, #1)
  • Wicked Fate (Wicked, #1)
Jessica Sorensen is a New York Times and USA Today bestselling author from the snowy mountains of Wyoming. When she's not writing, she spends her time reading and hanging out with her family.

Death Collectors (3 books)
  • Cinder X (Death Collectors, #2)
  • Spark X (Death Collectors, #3)
“Four wings, two hearts, but only one soul. They connect in the middle, but are separated by a thin line of ash. Its what brings them together, yet rips their feathers apart. They can never truly be together as light and dark. Unless one makes the ultimate sacrifice. Blows out their candle, and joins the other in the dark. Or if the other dares to fly across the line and steals the others light And force them to cross over the line and join the darkness of life. Im not gone, princess. I will come back for you until you give in.” 37 likes
“The cemetery is my sense of comfort, my sanctuary in a world of darkness, the one piece of light that i have in my life.” 26 likes