Start by marking “Son of Truth (Follower of the Word #2)” as Want to Read:
Son of Truth (Follower of the Word #2)

Son of Truth

(Follower of the Word #2)

The war in the north is over, but the war for all the Lands has just begun. As the Shadonae solidify their hold on the city of Thyra, Rowen Mar, the last Eldaran and savior of the White City, awakens to find herself hunted by those she has saved.

Meanwhile, the assassin Caleb Tala finds himself in the presence of the Word. The time of reckoning has come, and he must pay the
Published April 1st 2013 by Marcher Lord Press (first published March 29th 2013)

R.J. Rodda
Nov 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian, fantasy
Bad boy Caleb has been thoroughly converted into a son of truth! When Nierne is captured (again!) and she is given to him (again!) for the night, you really get to see how he has changed. It is rare that I give the middle book in a trilogy five stars but this one deserves it. This has sacrificial true love, a touching developing romance, a dramatic battle against evil with spiritual overtones and strong Christian themes. This is such a powerful book. Can't wait to read the next one!
April
4.5 Stars!
Son of Truth, Book 2 in this series, is one fast paced, on the edge of your seat ride - for the most part! Busse brought all the wonderful elements of Book 1 to life again, but with more action, suspense and a dose of romance too. Our main characters face trials of varying sorts. And like us, they can falter, loose their focus and question why - a lot! This at times can be frustrating, but so true to life.

I enjoyed seeing the character transformations; like Caleb's, as he navigates wha
MC
Feb 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For almost the past year now, I have eagerly looked forward to Son of Truth sequel to Daughter of Light. The trilogy by author Morgan L. Busse consists of these two aforementioned novels, and the third book soon to come. The series is called Follower of the Word, after the group of heroes who worship and, well, “follow” the One, True God, called in-universe, the Word.

This story begins right where the previous book left off. The Temanin forces have been defeated, and the White City is saved. More
Janeen Ippolito
Oct 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
((minor spoilers below, especially if you haven’t read Daughter of Light))

Middle books in a trilogy often bear the brunt of criticism. They don’t have the spark of introducing a new world and new concepts, nor the satisfaction of bring a story line to a resolution. However, I actually enjoy this open-ended quality. There are no long origin stories to muddle through and no sadness about leaving a favorite world. Plus, a well-written middle book is filled to the brim with action and intrigue, brin
David Bergsland
Dec 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
I almost didn't read it because of the ghastly cover. In a thumbnail, it is unreadable and looks like grade school stuff—especially the type. But I'm glad I did.

This is another of the offerings from Marcher Lord Press. They often have excellent books, but the graphic design and book formatting are commonly puzzling, at best.

This is the second book of the Follower of the Word series. I have not read the first book, and I probably won't.

This is epic fantasy

However, the story is quite tight, small,
Laura A. Grace
Sep 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Son of Truth picks right up where Daughter of Light ended and with it a new favorite character for me: Caleb Tala.

I was at first disappointed that his story doesn’t really become a huge part of the plot until almost the second half of the book, but the transformation he goes through was worth the wait. His life is a testament of second chances that God gives and how He can literally use anyone for His glory.

I also enjoyed hearing more of Rowen’s story even though hers was a lot more heart-wr
Cindy
Apr 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
After reading the first book in this series, Daughter of Light, I was really looking forward to the second. I wasn't disappointed even though the book did go in a direction that I was not expecting it to and because of that I kept putting off reading it. Writers have a direction in mind for their story and readers get a direction that they want the story to go in. The two don't always jive and that is what happened in this case. The story was still great and you learned even more about your favo ...more
Gretchen
Apr 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed Caleb and Nierne's story arcs. Rowan in many ways seemed to take the back seat in this story, and I hated having Lore left behind. I was fascinated by Caleb in the first book and even more so when the bad boy assassin turns good. And isn't sure what to do. I was intrigued by Nierne and wanted to learn more about her life and purpose. She came to life in Son of Truth. However, I'd hoped with her in the library that we'd get more Elderan history. I am fascinated by these not-quite ...more
Emerald Barnes
Jan 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014-reads
Son of Truth is a great follow up to the Daughter of Light. We're taken on an even wilder journey as Rowen discovers the truth about Thyra and what she must do in order to save the Lands, and when Caleb awakens after meeting the Word, we see just how much he has changed - and for the better.

This book kept me on my toes as the journey to Thyra didn't go as well as planned. There were kidnaps, slavery, and pure torture involved, and since I was attached to these characters, I felt everything for t
A.C. Williams
Jan 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Son of Truth is an engaging read from cover to cover. It's rare that I like a sequel better than the first book in a trilogy, but as much as I enjoyed Daughter of Light, I loved Son of Truth more!

It's a little slow in the beginning, but the story picks up speed quickly. Then you won't be able to stop.

I love the sweet, genuine romance between Rowan and Lore, but I especially love the story of redemption for Caleb. It's a touching, gripping read that makes me glad I waited to read it, because no
Jason C.
May 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Very good continuation of the Daughter of Light book. The assassin Caleb Tala has been confronted by the Word, and he gives up his former life to become a servant of the Word. Specifically a Son of Truth and a Guardian, but he has no idea what that means. To find out will cost him everything.

Morgan Busse has a very good feel for the heart condition of her characters. There is action and peril, but the real treat is seeing them fight through the internal conflict underneath it all.

This is a very
Ralene Burke
Apr 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Morgan Busse did it again! She spun a tale that kept me away from my daily duties. Her characters and plot twists pull the reader in and then won't let them go. Her storytelling excels as she weaves the lives of four totally different people together--even while they are apart. Just when the reader thinks that everything is going to be okay...well, I won't give anything away. You'll just have to pick up the book and read it yourself!
Jill
Apr 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, i-own, nook
I'm so pleased with this series! A delightful find.

Like: Son of Truth offers fresh scenarios, appealing characters, meaningful spiritual themes, and plenty of action and adventure. I particularly enjoy the main characters from various cultures, all of whom have actual character flaws to keep them believable. The writing is straightforward, descriptive, and fun.

I recommend this series to any lover of epic fantasy. But now I have to wait an entire year for Book 3? Waaaah!
R.M. Lutz
Jul 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you've read "Daughter of Light", be sure to pick up this excellent sequel. I would highly recommend this series to teens and up who love Christian allegorical fantasy. The characters are well-fleshed out and the allegory is stunning. (Like Christian sci-fi and fantasy? Check out thebookhoundchristianspecfic.blogspot.com for full length reviews and more.)
C.J. Darlington
Sep 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Son of Truth picks up right where Daughter of Light left off (so much so that I highly recommend reading Book 1 first). I was enthralled through ever chapter. A wonderful balance of fantasy, adventure, romance, and spirituality. I loved the new way it allows readers to see God and Jesus. I can't wait for Book 3, due in 2014.
Janet Sketchley
Son of Truth is Book 2 in the Follower of the Word series. It’s been far too long since I read book 1, Daughter of Light, but I was able to follow, and enjoy, the story. My only complaint is that the ending merely puts everyone in position for the next book, without any sense of closure for this one. On the plus side, Book 3, Heir of Hope, has already been released.
Jennifer Jungling
Apr 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Just as good as the first book. The characters continue to grow and mature. They still struggle and aren't perfect but they keep trying. The plot is getting more tense and relationships are forming and changing. I am very impatient for the next book.
Lauren
Absolutely loved this book. So fascinating and I could NOT put it down. I highly recommend this.
John Otte
Apr 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A great sequel! I was admittedly a little lost at the beginning (since it's been a while since I read the first book), but it was fun to get lost in Morgan's world once again.
Emileigh Latham
Wow! This was a great continuation of the story. It kept me entertained and away from my daily duties. It was SO good! I can't wait to read the next book.
Brooke
Dec 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These books are amazing!
Phyllis Wheeler
Apr 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Terrific book! Now I have to wait for the next one!!
Linda Yezak
Sep 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really wish I'd caught this series at the beginning. Morgan certainly knows how to tell an exciting tale!
Steven
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Caleb Tala is an assassin, a very good one. His cousin, ruler of the Temanin Empire, has sent him north to oversee the invasion of the northern lands and the attack on the White City. With a blinding flash of intense light the war is over. In the middle of this blazing, glorious light, Caleb encounters the Word. Caleb’s time of reckoning has come for all the lives he has snuffed out in his young career. Can there be forgiveness for an assassin, a hired killer? The Word not only forgives Caleb, b ...more
Aristae Henricus
No words

Words can't explain how awesome this book is. Truth, love and compassion war against hate, lies and disregard. In this book, Morgan L. Busse shows that following God isn't always glamorous. God is the one who deserves glory and though we might not understand why we go through trials, we must trust in the One who holds all life in His hands.
Shirley McClay
Jun 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Better even than the first book

Although many of the main characters spend most of the book separated, it's fun to see their personalities flesh out and new relationships form. You get the sense that everything is being woven together and things are building to a huge crescendo in the third book.
Maureen Koeppel
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Riveting

An excellent sophomore book. The Follower of the Word book two does not disappoint. A must read.

The character development is great, the action keeps you on your toes and I couldn't put it down.
LaShunda
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
I like it. It is an engaging story filled with so many twists and turns and a beautiful story of a redemptive heart. I think Caleb is my favorite character in the whole series. a good read.
Caryl
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-challenge
Son of Truth is EPIC! Once you begin reading, you won't be able to stop until the end.

I purchased this book directly from the author. All views expressed are my honest opinion.
Lori Twichell
Dec 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
In this fast moving sequel to Daughter of Light, Morgan Busse builds and expands her universe even further and she does it with class and style. In this outing, we learn more about the mythology behind Eldarans and Shadonae as well as the politics that run throughout the region.

I loved seeing how The Word changed Caleb Tala’s very existence. Everything that he’d been before is now seen through fresh eyes and it enlightens not only Caleb, but the reader. When he’s with his family or remembering h
  • Broken (ShadowLight Saga, #2)
  • Conquering Fate (Order of the Krigers, #3)
  • Caprion's Wings (The Cat's Eye Chronicles, #3.5)
  • Vulture (The Ferryman + The Flame #3)
  • Dragonwitch (Tales of Goldstone Wood, #5)
  • Anomaly of Blaze (The Fireblade Array, #3)
  • To Darkness Fled (Blood of Kings, #2)
  • Broken Stone (Souls of the Stones, #3)
  • The Underground Witch (Incenaga, #2)
  • Empyreal Fate
  • Beyond the Iron Gate: Zara's Journey (The Lost Kingdom of Fallada #0.5)
  • Midwinter
  • Fragile Destiny (The Aether Chronicles, #3)
  • The Theft of Sunlight (The Theft of Sunlight, #1)
  • Stardust (Of Dust and Darkness, #2)
  • The Reluctant Godfather (The Tales of Ambia, #1)
  • The Legend of the Firefish (Trophy Chase Trilogy, #1)
  • Blood of the King (Khirro's Journey, #1)
Morgan L. Busse is a writer by day and a mother by night. She is the author of the Follower of the Word series and the award-winning steampunk series, The Soul Chronicles. Her debut novel, Daughter of Light, was a Christy and Carol Award finalist. During her spare time she enjoys playing games, taking long walks, and dreaming about her next novel.

Follower of the Word (3 books)
  • Daughter of Light (Follower of the Word, #1)
  • Heir of Hope (Follower of the Word, #3)
“Love gives, despite the cost.” 6 likes