Start by marking “Give and Take” as Want to Read:
Give and Take

Give and Take

3.13  ·  Rating Details  ·  277 Ratings  ·  56 Reviews
A clever story of greed and goodness, and the art of finding the in-between, from two-time Caldecott Medalist Chris Raschka, creator of the New York Times bestselling A Ball for Daisy.

Watch the farmer’s ear.

Now watch the two small, clever fellows in pointy hats whispering into it, first one, then the other.

Give and Take. They cannot agree.

Listen now to the farmer talk back
Published August 26th 2014 by Atheneum/Richard Jackson Books (first published August 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Give and Take, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Give and Take

Linda
Sep 05, 2014 Linda rated it really liked it
I’m planning to read a picture book with a class who is studying world views, point of view, and how people learn to compromise for the good of everyone. This is the book I’ll read, a book that will inspire good discussion. What fun Chris Raschka has offered in a good story of a farmer who is persuaded by one side—Give, and the other side—Take, and ends up in quite a muddle of confusion. The ending is a satisfactory surprise, and Raschka’s illustrations are lively and entertaining as always.
Vincent Desjardins
Aug 15, 2015 Vincent Desjardins rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I loved Chris Raschka's Caldecott Award winning, "A Ball for Daisy," so I was really looking forward to "Give and Take," his latest picture book. Unfortunately, as far as the illustrations go in this new book, I have to admit I was disappointed. The design of the farmer, as well as the other characters, is so abstract and expressionistic in style, that at first glance it can be hard to make out what the characters are doing. In some of the illustrations, the characters are shoved to the margins ...more
Tasha
Nov 11, 2014 Tasha rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A farmer who grows apples discovers a strange little man out in his orchard just as his apples are ready to pick. The little man is named Take and he encourages the farmer to listen to him so that he can have a fine life. Though the farmer already has a fine life, Take promises to make it better. So the farmer goes through his day taking everything. He takes all of his neighbors pumpkins when she offers him some. He takes her advice to make pumpkin soup, and he takes a long hike. Left wishing he ...more
Barb Middleton
Apr 06, 2016 Barb Middleton rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book, fable
This fable of a farmer learning to give as well as take is written well. The line work and composition are interesting but perhaps it gets too cluttered in spots. The kindergarten students had problems figuring out the illustrations. They kept asking why the duck (farmer kind of looks like a duck) was there. It did not hold the grade 2 students attention. I like that it is different but it doesn't quite come together.
Lynn
I like the use of rule of three as the farmer picks apples first from his oldest tree, then his highest tree, and last, his greenest tree. An important message, but the illustrations are distracting to me. They seem rough and hurried.
Sara Grochowski
This newest offering from Raschka hit shelves in this August, so I can't believe I've just now read it for the first time. What a wonderful story, perfect for at reading at home or lessons in the classroom. I could see this one being a great fit for a lesson on writing parables and fables. Also, this apple-picking farmer's story has a very autumnal feel and focuses on the balance between give and take, which fits well with Thanksgiving and thankfulness. The illustrations might be overwhelming fo ...more
Margie
Sep 06, 2014 Margie rated it really liked it
Reminiscent of a classic folktale, Give and Take written and illustrated by Chris Raschka is a charming story of finding middle ground; to do so might supply a fine and sweet conclusion. Listeners will be eager to join in when phrases are repeated. I think this would be a great book to use for reader's theater. It's as fresh, fun and delicious as a newly picked apple.

My full recommendation: http://bit.ly/1xieFtr
Mary
Apr 06, 2016 Mary rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
This is a picture book fable about an apple farmer and two elves named Give and Take. It's a simple story with bold illustrations and a common sense message that will be easily understood by young readers. However, the farmer has an odd shape that may be distracting and is a bit out of sync with the other drawings.
Thomas
Oct 29, 2014 Thomas rated it did not like it
Woof. This one was torturous to read and my kids were begging we never pick it up again.

Sloppy too-busy illustrations cluttered around a tale that was just too long and drawn out and not very interesting.
poppy
Sep 05, 2014 poppy rated it it was ok
Meh. This wasn't my book. The illustrations detracted from an already wanting story. I gave it 2 stars because I still see the value in sharing it with children, but I would never use this book as a storytime selection.
Andrea Scherer
An apple farmer meets two clever little men - one named Take and one named Give. From them he learns that all things need to be held in balance.

I liked the story that Raschka lays out - it's reminiscent of a folktale, with nameless characters, lessons to learn. The problem I had with this is Raschka's illustrations. I like his style, especially in A Ball for Daisy, but this work borders on the nearly abstract. I think the coloring and the outlines make the illustrations hard to read - especiall
Nick
Sep 24, 2014 Nick rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
I'm not a huge fan of Raschka's illustration style, and in this case some of the pages were way too busy for young children. The story, on the other hand, was a good one, and a way to show children how taking any form of advice to extremes can be bad. The front cover seems to suggest a parallel with the traditional image of having an angel on one shoulder and a devil on the other, giving you advice at the same time, but in fact the story isn't quite that.
Of course, a second moral of the story co
Deborah
Oct 31, 2014 Deborah rated it really liked it
One day an apple farmer is encouraged by a little guy to take, take, take, which leads to problems. The next day he is encouraged by Give to give, give, give, which also leads to problems. The following day, hearing Give and Take arguing over what they think the farmer should do gives the farmer the bright idea to both give and take. This story offers an important lesson for all ages: to find an appropriate balance of give in take in all relationships. Raschka's messy, childlike drawings work in ...more
paula
Any book that ends with pie is A-OK with me!
Becky B
Aug 16, 2015 Becky B rated it liked it
An apple farmer learns to balance listening to the two little men Give and Take.

This tale's moral didn't quite turn out the way I had predicted because not only do the little men prompt the farmer to give/take things but also advice. The moral is thus to balance listening and advising, as well as generosity vs selfishness that most would guess this is about. I like Raschka's illustrations of his dog stories, but the broad strokes and such can make some of these pages hard to understand illustrat
Stephanie Croaning
Sep 16, 2015 Stephanie Croaning rated it did not like it
Shelves: picture-books, 2015
This is a rather long fable with a message that didn't seem entirely clear to me. I think we are supposed to learn that life must contain "give" and "take" moments, but I believe a lot of discussion will need to occur for children to understand the moral of this story.

I also am not a fan of the illustrations. Raschka has evolved his abstract style more to the grotesque, and I did not feel that the colors were engaging. I am not sure children will find this to be a high-interest book.
Ann Williams
Jan 17, 2015 Ann Williams rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! The message is so powerful that it will be a great addition to upper elementary classrooms and MS/HS classrooms. I can see how this book will also find a place in my yoga classes. Readers of all ages will be able to connect to this book and will leave you with some talk worthy discussions. Mrs. Richards is going to have to get this one too!
June
Nov 17, 2014 June rated it liked it
Recommends it for: finding balance and decision-making requests
Recommended to June by: capitolchoices.org
A farmer follows the advice of a little man called Take, with unhappy consequences. The next day is just as bad, when he follows Give's advice. However, when he listens to both a happy balance is reached.

The pictures don't do much for me, but I enjoyed the story, maybe 3.5 and I will try and remember to see how this works with some of my classes.
Kelsey
Sep 13, 2014 Kelsey rated it liked it
Age: Preschool-2nd grade

Written like a fable, Raschka approaches the idea of balance in one's life, in particular with giving and taking. The illustrations are very complimentary in this book and read similar to a comic book (multiple illustrations on one page). Enjoyable and a unique addition to the picture book collection.
Amy
Sep 26, 2014 Amy rated it liked it
I like the idea of this book, but something was a little off for me. Maybe it was too long? It was a little preachy, but I get that was the point. His illustrations are the same as always. I liked the ending. This might be a good book for older storytimes and something along the lines of either Manners or Fall/Apples, etc.
Amy
Dec 04, 2014 Amy rated it really liked it
Give and Take are two elves who advise a farmer. One says, "Take! Take all you can!", while the other wants the farmer to give all he can. The farmer learns that the best advice is moderation. Great read-aloud for fall, because the farmer is harvesting apples, trades them for pumpkins and ends up baking an apple pie.
Jana
This is an interesting story about a farmer who learns about decision-making from Give and Take. The apple farmer meets Take on the first day that he goes to pick apples. He listens to Take and follows his advice and winds up exhausted with gallons and gallons of pumpkin soup that nobody likes. The next day he meets Give and takes his advice. That doesn't work out so well either, as he winds up with an empty basket and an empty head. When he listens to both Give and Take, he learns the benefits ...more
Paula Hollohan
Mar 13, 2015 Paula Hollohan rated it it was ok
Interesting story - sounds like a fable but the illustrations are not my cup of tea. Hard to figure out what is in the illustration. I would read it to a class without showing the illustrations and get them to do an illustration. It would be great to see how they view Give and Take. Grades 1-3
Erin
Jan 05, 2015 Erin rated it liked it
I like the story in this book, but not the illustrations. You have to really look hard at some of the pictures to tell what they are. The moral of the story is just fine--giving and taking equally.

Because the illustrations are so confusing, I would not use this in storytimes.
Sassy
Nov 10, 2014 Sassy rated it really liked it
I don't usually like Chris Raschka's illustrations (I still don't actually), but I do enjoy the stories he creeates for children. Give and take is a modern-day fable, it is well told and the moral is not spelled out, so it would work well with grades k-3.
kim
Nov 30, 2014 kim rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014, kids, picture
insta-classic. not totally in love with the illustrations, but they have their own certain sort of charm. while not the most interesting story, I think kids would appreciate it if it was read out-loud in a fun way

eta: the preschooler enjoyed the story and the 21 month old was able to ID the dog, apples, pumpkins, etc even though the illustrations are a bit abstract
Paula
In his apple orchard, a farmer meets a little man named Take and follows his advice, which does not turn out well, and the next day meets a little man named Give, whose advice is just as bad.
Jazz
Jan 03, 2015 Jazz rated it liked it
Classic Chris Raschka humor accompanied by a lesson in balancing generosity and indulgence. The downfall is that the art is too busy to follow the action easily. Still an enjoyable book.
Mary
This book has the feel of a fable or fairy tale and leaves the reader with the moral that it is good to have a balance between give and take- it's not enough to only have one or the other.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
fable-esque in style - the message of this book is a good one to remember - Should I give or should I take? Great ending. Fans of Raschka's illustrations will love this too.
  • The Chickens Build a Wall
  • If Kids Ruled the World
  • Drop It, Rocket!
  • Chengdu Could Not, Would Not, Fall Asleep
  • I Spy on the Farm
  • Hippos Can't Swim and Other Fun Facts (Did You Know?, #1)
  • Bring Me a Rock!
  • The Highway Rat
  • Buddy and the Bunnies: In Don't Play with Your Food
  • Don't Throw It to Mo!
  • Little Red
"I always try to treat the book itself as the artwork," Chris Raschka says. "I don't want you to stop while you're reading one of my books and say, 'Oh! What a gorgeous illustration!' I want you to stop at the end of the book and say, 'This is a good book.' "

Chris Raschka is one of those people who knew from an early age what he wanted to be when he grew up. "It was never a question in my mind,"
More about Chris Raschka...