Start by marking “The Fingerprint (Miss Silver, #30)” as Want to Read:
The Fingerprint (Miss Silver, #30)

The Fingerprint

(Miss Silver #30)

When she found the body of her beloved Uncle Jonathan, Georgina's mind went blank. Instinctively, she stooped to pick up the revolver, thus becoming the prime suspect. For Georgina stood to inherit a large fortune when her uncle died. But Uncle Jonathan had a second secret will and the beneficiary is the wide-eyed, seemingly innocent Mirrie Fields.

But there was also the
Published 2005 by Hodder and Stoughton (first published 1956)

To ask other readers questions about The Fingerprint, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fingerprint

Start your review of The Fingerprint (Miss Silver, #30)
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Fingerprint (Miss Silver #30), Patricia Wentworth
But there was also the puzzle of the missing fingerprint. It was the showpiece of Uncle
Marchpane
Jun 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 19-20-19
On the one hand, a very readable cozy mystery with solid writing and engaging characters. On the other hand, this would have to be the most repetitious book I've ever read. Every scene and conversation is recounted, recapped and rehashed a half a dozen times.

Really, this book could have been half the length that it is without all that padding, but then it would have been obvious that the plot is rather underdeveloped.

This is the 30th Miss Silver mystery, and the first one I've read. I imagine
Leslie
Jun 14, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries, kindle
3.5*

Very typical of the Miss Silver series, which I happen to enjoy.
Mo
Feb 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Another enjoyable book in the series. Miss Silver has become a very dear friend.
Learnin Curve
Jan 06, 2018 rated it did not like it
I love miss silver but this is the scrapings off of the bottom of the pan. luckily I’ve learned a harsh lesson from Christie and am reading the later ones before the ones in the middle.
Eric
Dec 14, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is a late Miss Silver, originally published in 1956, and is not of the best.It has a lot of the standard ingredients, a large country house, wills, beautiful heroine and tight-lipped hero, murder and secrets.

However, it is about as exciting and interesting as tepid ditchwater, full of unnecessary repetition, and depicting one of the most irritating female characters you will ever come across.

Frank Abbott could and should have solved this one pretty quickly without the late help of Miss
Kailey (BooksforMKs)
Jan 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned-books
I liked the story, and the mystery was quite good. The characters are great too!
But the writing is terribly repetitive. They repeat every single thing over and again as if assuming that the reader can't pay attention long enough to remember that, for instance, the heroine called the villain on the phone at half past eight on Tuesday night. I remember. I read it already. You don't have to remind me twenty times that she called him on Tuesday night.
Katrina
May 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this although it took ages to get to the murder. The more I read books involving Miss Silver the better I like her.
Jack Heath
Sep 27, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: category-mystery
Synopsis: uncle Jonathan has been murdered and Maud Silver is determined to find out why a fingerprint is missing.
Robyn
Dec 17, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, kindle
Free | Trying too hard to be modern, and one truly awful female character | My biggest complaint is actually that Frank Abbott doesn't act in character. He isn't normally so insistent on the guilt of any one person based on circumstantial evidence, or so jaded and suspicious. For him to still say he's nurturing suspicions long after that character's motive had been washed out is not in tune with the Frank of the other books. There's also an astonishing amount of repetition. The series does tend ...more
Julie
A collector of fingerprints is killed not long after again showing his collection and telling his favorite story of a criminal's fingerprint being among them. Frank Abbott calls in Miss Silver to see what she can figure out. There are many suspects.

Interesting story and mystery.
Cate
Apr 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Fun murder mystery read
Peggy
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
I liked this book. It is very much like other Miss Silver episodes. I thought the killer was someone else. Patricia Wentworth is very tricky.
Chelle
Jan 10, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very busy book.
Sara Eames
Oct 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I do enjoy audio books and Patricia Wentworth's Miss Silver lends itself superbly to this medium. Her characters are well-written and the plot moves at a steady pace. All-in-all, a good read.
Sherry
Nov 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Not a favorite! I found several main characters annoying and Miss Silvers role seemed less essential!
Jeanette
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed the book.....it was a treat to read. Think I am hooked on Patricia Wentworth and Miss Silver. Will be reading more very soon.
Nanosynergy
A personal hobby of collecting fingerprints. Don't think that would fly today.
Book Reader
Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
There was no need to make the story so long.
Jessi
Oh... my... gosh. It took me four times of starting and stopping this book to finish it. It's worth the read, but it did start off so... slow.
Frank Abbott has been invited to a a party. There, he meets Georgina and Mirrie, both relatives living with their rich uncle Jonathon. Georgina has always been assumed to be the heir but Mirrie is new in the house and is quickly winning Jonathon's love.

In true "I'm about to be murdered" fashion, Jonathon announces that he is changing his will. After he's
Rachel Piper
Started out strong, but got very repetitive, and the villain is no surprise, though I held out hope for a twist (view spoiler).

Also came with its fair share of usual Wentworth eye-rolling characterizations, and a weird number of instances of snappy young men blowing kisses at their mothers when
Rebecca
Nov 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical, mystery
Jonathan Fields collects fingerprints, and loves to show them off to visitors and tell their stories. His best story is that he has the prints of a murderer who was never caught. When he is later found shot, that page of his album is torn out. Is there a connection? Or is the murderer his ward, Georgina Grey, who found him and picked up the gun? Fields had just disinherited her--or has he?--in favor of a new-found impoverished relative, Mirrie Fields, who has secrets of her own. Inspector Frank ...more
Susan
Oct 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommended to Susan by: Oyster
Shelves: mysteries
A man with a hobby of collecting fingerprints from people he meets shows off his collection to guests at a dinner party and tells a dramatic story about collecting a murderer’s fingerprints. When he’s later found dead, something doesn’t look right to guest Frank Abbott, a Scotland Yard detective, so Frank gets the woman he irreverently calls his dear Maudie (aka Miss Silver) to help with the case.
Wendy Gumera
Dec 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
just like reading one of miss marple or hercule poirot mysteries!
Kate
Jan 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: crime-fiction
For my full review click on the link below:
Denise
Dec 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Denise by: Deidre
Shelves: mystery
Miss Silver #30 -- another great read!
Jean
May 05, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016, before-1999
Heavy on the romance and damsel in distress, but the mystery is pretty good.
Liselotte
Jun 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: detectives, owned
This one was HIGHLY frustrating, you know how things were going but the people in the book would just not cooperate!! It was a fun Patricia Wentworth, but just like the other ones.
Katherine Rowland
Jun 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Not nearly as Silver-centric as some. I enjoyed the beginning especially, and the slow revealing of some of the characters; however, by two-thirds of the way through the book, the culprit was obvious and it felt like the last big climax was added just to pad out the story and add some excitement to the thing.

• The Night of Fear
  • A Shot in the Dark (Mydworth Mysteries  #1)
  • With a Bare Bodkin (Francis Pettigrew, #2)
  • The Body in the Road
  • An English Murder
  • The Billiard Room Mystery
  • A Treasury of Sayers Stories
  • The Long Divorce (Gervase Fen, #8)
  • Campion at Christmas: 4 Holiday Stories
  • Murder at Melrose Court: A Country House Christmas Murder (Heathcliff Lennox Book 1)
  • Tenant for Death
  • The Case of the Black Twenty-Two: An Anthony Bathurst Mystery
  • One by One They Disappeared
  • Striding Folly (Lord Peter Wimsey, #15)
  • Pay Dirt (Mrs. Murphy, #4)
  • Half-Mast for the Deemster (Chief Inspector Littlejohn #20)
  • Wrack and Rune (Peter Shandy, #3)
  • The Luck Runs Out (Peter Shandy, #2)
Patricia Wentworth--born Dora Amy Elles--was a British crime fiction writer.

She was educated privately and at Blackheath High School in London. After the death of her first husband, George F. Dillon, in 1906, she settled in Camberley, Surrey. She married George Oliver Turnbull in 1920 and they had one daughter.

She wrote a series of 32 classic-style whodunnits featuring Miss Silver, the first of

Miss Silver (1 - 10 of 32 books)
  • Grey Mask (Miss Silver, #1)
  • The Case Is Closed (Miss Silver, #2)
  • Lonesome Road (Miss Silver, #3)
  • Danger Point (Miss Silver, #4)
  • The Chinese Shawl (Miss Silver, #5)
  • Miss Silver Deals With Death (Miss Silver, #6)
  • The Clock Strikes Twelve (Miss Silver, #7)
  • The Key (Miss Silver, #8)
  • She Came Back (Miss Silver, #9)
  • Pilgrim's Rest (Miss Silver, #10)
“Old, beautiful words – ‘From envy, hatred, malice and all uncharitableness – Good Lord deliver us.’ How many of the people who make a glib response have really turned away from the evil in their thoughts before it breaks into word or open deed?” 0 likes