Start by marking “Great Work: How to Make a Difference People Love” as Want to Read:
Great Work: How to Make a Difference People Love

Great Work: How to Make a Difference People Love

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  331 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
THE NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER Great work lives inside all of us.

The question is: Do we make the contributions we're capable of? Is our best work getting out there? Breaking through? Creating a difference the world loves?

We've long been told our ability to succeed depends on our IQ, talent, education level, gender, job title, or when and where we were born. Great Work turns
Published September 2nd 2013 by McGraw-Hill Education (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Great Work, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Great Work

Илья Сидоренко
Oct 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
«Есть только один способ проделать великую работу — это полюбить ее». Эти слова Стива Джобса вошли в историю. Вспомнил я о них, когда увидел в магазине книгу с яркой обложкой на которой было написано: Great work. Пролистав несколько страниц, я понял, что время, выделенное на чтение этой книги будет потеряно не зря. И я не ошибся.

«Мы часто попадаем в ловушку и думаем о своих профессиях как о списке дел, которые нужно сделать, и списке обязанностей, – говорит Эми. – Но что будет, если вы выйдете з
Cindy
Jul 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anyone can do good work, but it takes stepping out of your comfort zone and asking the right questions to do great work. Great work sometimes takes a little addition (like adding heat to seats in cars) and sometimes a little subtraction (taking the developing time out of picture taking). It is about always going that extra step to make it unexpected or just a little better. There were lots of real life examples - from the guy who developed the prototype for the snowboard (snurfing - I kid you no ...more
Karen
Mar 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Wow, what a great book! It emphasizes how small actions can lead to a dramatically different perspective, enabling one to add value to their work in a way that is both uniquely satisfying personally and differentiating for their company. Each chapter includes a series of anecdotes along with a list of actionable items at chapter end. This format works well because it not only tells the story about how the action can be applied, but then also presents the cogent points as an easy to apply "recipe ...more
Alaeddin Hallak
Feb 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A must have book to learn the recipe of how create your next innovation.
Molly
Mar 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-group
I really enjoyed this book. It isn’t the type of book i would normally read, as i would feel like it “doesn’t apply to me” but I found the stories fascinating. I loved learning about normal, everyday people coming up with great ideas and innovations to make their world better. A great read (and having the author share his story about writing the book was really interesting too)!
Becca
Jan 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Definitely geared to the business world, as the name implies. Has small sections at the end to review and further experiment. I enjoyed the sections on asking the right questions, reframing your role and talking to your outer circle, all of which had relevant ideas for my life.
Ivy
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: book-club
Not a book I would have chosen. I felt like it had some ideas on how to be a better employee, but nothing earth shattering. It was very reminiscent of the 7 Habits books. It just wasn't well written. It has a purpose, but it just wasn't for me.
Mydeen Yussouf
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Lot of research has gone into writing this book and the author has put in a lot of thought in presenting the findings of those research. Love the graphical representations of those ideas.

Fav quote: "How do you prepare an apple pie from scratch? You start by creating the universe"
Natalia Rox
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great stories to illustrate the ideas within these chapters. I found it really helpful as someone working on honing their business skills.
Ekaterina Pushkareva
Nov 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
In this book, there are so many good examples how an ordinary employee can change his job and change his attitude to work.
Kasandra
Sep 09, 2013 rated it liked it
I won this book in a Goodreads First Reads giveaway, looked forward to reading it, and found it interesting and intriguing. I may go back and up my stars later, to 4 or even 5, but first I want to try this out and see what happens in my particular workplace over time once I start asking the right questions. Inspiring, but could also prove to be a bit too broad and/or vague (it never tackles issues in severely dysfunctional workplaces, which I'd argue are numerous, yet not covered here -- you see ...more
Naomi Blackburn
Jun 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Read my full review:http://bit.ly/138pfSV

My opinion: Gotta say that this book should be a "No Duh" book. Unfortunately, we see in corporations worldwide...it isn't.

The book's focus was on what we do as individuals to do the best work that we can do? Do we demand the best from ourselves in creativity in our work lives?

I have to admit that I did take it that way, but my questions were also targeted towards organizations:

1) Do we, as an organization foster our employees to do the best that they c
Georgia Roybal
Dec 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
I won this book as a First Reads prize. It gives a lot of great suggestions as to how to make things better no matter what your situation is. The suggestions include asking questions, observing what others are doing, asking for input from people outside your field of interest, etc. It also give great real-world examples of people who have followed the principles outlined and how it turned out for them.

I always ask how this book applies to me. For 20 years, I worked for myself and used many of t
Rebecca
Dec 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a good book that not only gives entertaining stories about "winners" who do great work, but also gives tips that anyone can use to make their work better. I found it interesting, though a bit short and superficial in places.

I liked that the book was based off an organization's own research into what makes work great vs. good or just ok. The book's basic structure is to give a particular aspect of their findings and then illustrate it with a story, which kept things moving and kept the
Diana Nagy
Mar 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
What is most of your life spent doing? Work! (For most of us, Anywhoo) So what is something that you might want to consider while considering this fact? Simply this: Great Work! How to Make a Difference People Love. This book includes all the different ways people are making a difference in their work. It includes advice to the reader on what they can do to ensure that they get to great work in their own lives. Its essential to live life happy and the one thing that will affect our happiness is ...more
Tiffany
Aug 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I won this book in a Goodreads First Reads giveaway and I think this book came along at the right time. I work in a CPA firm and it's easy to get lost in the work and the constantly changing teams that you work with. I thought this was a book with a lot of good, but obvious, advice. I think it's always a good reminder that you always have the ability to affect change, even if it's just your outlook and perspective. I enjoyed this book and I am sure I will refer back to it again and again, as nec ...more
Harley
Jul 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
We all have the capacity to do great work. This book contains a fair number of inspirational stories about people who have done great work in the world of business. The book also provides 5 strategies for achieving great work. Sturt and others at his company have done considerable research and study into what behaviors create great work. I recommend this to people in business and people who want to achieve great work.
Cynthia
Jan 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
The theme of the book as stated in its subtitle is "How to make a difference people love." What a great idea! Presented as a sort of annotated list of steps for achieving that goal, the author also shares ample stories of individuals who in small and grand ways made just such a difference. Inspiring and informative, I recommend this quick read to all who would like to bring delight, enjoyment and improvement to others, to do "Great Work".
Brendan
Mar 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
So far, Great Work has been truly inspiring. It speaks directly to me at a time when I needed to remember to think outside the status quo. In my work environment such thinking often goes unrewarded and criticized as creating more work. I needed to see stories of people who made differences by doing great work their own way and to see the impacts they made.
Samuel Lilly
Jul 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
"Love this book. I love the stories about regular people who, one person at a time, make a difference. Love and believe in the concepts; but most of all, I love and believe in people who have good hearts, bright minds, and actively take action to make things better for others. Great work O.C. Tanner Institute!"
Paul Young
Mar 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Quick, story-filled read laying out an approach to analyzing your product/service for ways to modify it to delight your customer. Simple to understand model that can work in any situation. Well worth your time.
Shauna
Oct 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book inspired me to notice what things I do, why I do them, and how I can improve. Even though I haven't worked outside the home for twenty-five years, the basic principles of success outlined in the book can be applied in many situations.
Jesse
Jan 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This was a fast paced, easy to read book about how to how to make yourself stand out and be a leader in your organization. As I read more books on this topic, I'm finding that they are somewhat repetitive; same concepts with new lingo.

Overall, it was good.
Jarond Suman
May 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Excellent read. Anyone looking to add a spark to their career needs to read this. This book not only shows you the importance of making a difference, it backs it up with data and experiences that illustrate it's brilliance.
Kristina Gonzales
Oct 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great Work is a quick and engaging read. Through multiple stories and examples David Sturt illustrates the different principles anyone can utilize to achieve great work. Great Work teaches us that no matter your profession or skill level, you too can make a difference people love.
Victor Corniel
Mar 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Lo escuche en audio-libro por audible de amazon y es un excelente ejemplar
Mido
Jan 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
ok
Odalys Diaz
Spare me from the unimaginative, banal stories.
Bill
Jul 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a really enjoyable read and inspiring. I actually enjoyed the anecdotes more than the principles.
Yasheve
Jan 12, 2014 rated it did not like it
Although the book was just released, it has "New York Times Bestseller" on the cover. It's getting annoying being manipulated by marketing tactics.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Leading the Starbucks Way: 5 Principles for Connecting with Your Customers, Your Products and Your People
  • Leaders Open Doors: A Radically Simple Leadership Approach to Lift People, Profits, and Performance
  • Own the Room: Discover Your Signature Voice to Master Your Leadership Presence
  • Can't Buy Me Like
  • Generations at Work: Managing the Clash of Veterans, Boomers, Xers, Nexters in Your Workplace
  • Extreme Trust: Honesty as a Competitive Advantage
  • How to Change Minds: The Art of Influence without Manipulation
  • Disney U: How Disney University Develops the World's Most Engaged, Loyal, and Customer-Centric Employees
  • Likeable Business: Why Today's Consumers Demand More and How Leaders Can Deliver
  • How Did That Happen?: Holding People Accountable for Results the Positive, Principled Way
  • Left Brain, Right Stuff: How Leaders Make Winning Decisions
  • It's Not What You Sell, It's What You Stand For: Why Every Extraordinary Business is Driven by Purpose
  • Game-Changer: Game Theory and the Art of Transforming Strategic Situations
  • Redesigning Leadership
  • Overcoming Fake Talk: How to Hold Real Conversations That Create Respect, Build Relationships, and Get Results
  • Collaborate or Perish!: Reaching Across Boundaries in a Networked World
  • The Art of Negotiation: How to Improvise Agreement in a Chaotic World
  • Red Thread Thinking: Weaving Together Connections for Brilliant Ideas and Profitable Innovations
David Sturt is an Executive Vice President of the O.C. Tanner Company. His career began in market research, where he studied and analyzed the effects of people being recognized for great work. In the two decades since, he has researched and developed several multi-million dollar services that engage employees, inspire above and beyond contribution, and reward outstanding results in organizations a ...more
More about David Sturt
“Call it what you will, it’s about getting up off your chair, going where the action is, and seeing things firsthand. Because when we see things for ourselves, with our own two eyes, it changes us.” 3 likes
“You know things; you understand things. You have a history and a work life unlike anyone else’s. Respect it. Pay attention to it. Let it inspire curious ponderings and original thinking.” 2 likes