Start by marking “Blue Dragon (Dark Heavens, #3)” as Want to Read:
Blue Dragon (Dark Heavens, #3)

Blue Dragon (Dark Heavens #3)

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  1,933 ratings  ·  78 reviews

Martial arts, magic, demons and science

The forces of Hell are poised to strike . . .

When Emmas relatives come to visit her, they are totally freaked out by what they learn . . . Emmas beloved, John Chen, is a 3,000-year-old Chinese god. Not only that, John is becoming weaker by the day. Demons pursue him relentlessly, hoping to use Emma and his child, Simone, as bargain

Published August 1st 2007 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Blue Dragon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blue Dragon

Bridge of Birds by Barry HughartThe Tales of the Otori Trilogy by Lian HearnThe Twelve Kingdoms by Fuyumi OnoEon by Alison GoodmanThe Sandman by Neil Gaiman
Chinese and Japanese Fantasy
138th out of 160 books — 299 voters
Alanna by Tamora PierceThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsGraceling by Kristin CashoreFirst Test by Tamora PierceMoon Called by Patricia Briggs
Amazons, Female Warriors, and Wonder Women
273rd out of 396 books — 348 voters

More lists with this book...

Blue dragon continues in the vein of Red phoenix. Emma learns more energy work, there are attacks by weird demons, and we see some more of the Chinese gods, stones, and dragons. I was disappointed about the ending, though. Way too much to-do about destroying Simon Wong, with no explanation of how it was done. A bit deus-ex-machina-like, with skills coming to the fore that we hadn't seen before. Quite frankly, with skills that could have been used to better effect beforehand if they had been ther ...more
Celia Powell
There was so much happening in this book - so many demon attacks, so many revelations about Emma's powers, that sometimes I felt quite lost. Chan's writing is sometimes a little stiff, and this is very much a grand romance novel with a good dollop of fantasy. I quite like the romance, and the Chinese mythology she uses as a basis for the fantasy element is unfamiliar and interesting enough to keep me reading. I'll be keeping an eye out for book 4 in 2009, but thankfully this book ended on a rela ...more
This is the last book in the trilogy, a great way to end part of the plot.
The writing is still great, although there are some issues when it comes to characters.
Leo, for example, who is tasked to guard Simone throughout the trilogy has his limits by being a human. When the eventual happens, and he fails, he says the following:
‘While we were at the playground, he appeared. He said hello, she ran to him, he took her hand and they both disappeared.’ He dropped his head. ‘I didn’t think fast enough.
Cat Sheely
I initially thought "more of the same". However, I found myself continuing to turn pages because I found the characters interesting. I am not sure I always thought the writing was brilliant but that didn't really matter because I had invested in Emma, Simone, John and Leo. I wanted to know what happened to them. Thus the author achieved her goal, and mine.

And at times I found myself very touched, usually in unexpected places. I wanted the best for these characters who had enemies everywhere. The
ms bookjunkie
OMG damn damn damn damn damn! Take my advice, do not read this book before you have access to Journey to Wudang! Because you'll want to know what happens next…

Absofreakinglutely a crackalicious read, in the best sense of the word. As in, all the addictive deliciousness without any of the WTFery. Exciting, satisfying and OMG so addictive. Love.

Is it September 25th yet?
Y'know, much as I try to come up with some other way to describe it, really this series continues to read like Mortal Kombat fanfic. With a little romance thrown in.

And yet I keep reading. Something in me evidently enjoys something about the books, but I honestly can't tell you what. I just *DO*, 'k? Call them guilty pleasures, and then let's just move on!
Dark Matter
This and more reviews, interviews etc are on Dark Matter Zine, an online magazine. This review was written by Nalini Haynes for Dark Matter Zine.

Dark Heavens book 3

Blue Dragon is the third in the Dark Heavens trilogy, preceded by White Tiger and Red Phoenix (books one and two respectively), as well as the more recent prequel Small Shen. My reviews are at the novel links.

All tell the story of John Chen, Dark Lord and Chinese god of martial arts, his daughter Simone
I love all three of these books, they are so well written and easy to read, I literally read this book in about a day.

Kylie Chan is awesome, and I look forward to reading more of her books!
This review is pasted for all of the following:
White Tiger (Dark Heavens, #1) by Kylie ChanRed Phoenix (Dark Heavens, #2) by Kylie ChanBlue Dragon (Dark Heavens, #3) by Kylie ChanEarth to Hell (Journey to Wudang, #1) by Kylie ChanHell to Heaven (Journey to Wudang #2) by Kylie ChanHeaven to Wudang (Journey to Wudang #3) by Kylie Chan

4 1/2 STARS

Reasons I bloody LOVE! Kylie Chan's "Dark Heavens" & "Journey to Wudang" (& soon to be "Celestial Battle") trilogies. . .

#1. You do not need to read the "Dark Heavens" trilogy before reading the "Journey to Wudang" trilogy. It wouldn't hurt, because you'll want to know what happened, but essentially, you can just jump right in at book 4 of the complete series or book 1 of "Journey to Wudang".

#2. These books are written with a lo
Blue Dragon: Dark Heavens Book Three (Angry Robot) Chan, Kylie
Let me just say this-—I have gone from really disliking this series, to admiring some of it and at least being curious to see more. I eagerly finished “Blue Dragon” pondered all of the unanswered questions and immediately went to search for the author’s web site to see when the next book comes out. After all we do need the Turtles book since we’ve had books about the other winds haven’t we?
Well I searched the author’s web site high a
Kylie Chan's final-ish volume in her Dark Heavens trilogy is great fun and, unlike Red Phoenix, draws to a real conclusion, even if not everything is resolved.

Picking up almost immediately after the previous volume, Emma's family must be protected from a foe who has no honor and John's time on Earth is running out. What will Emma sacrifice to ensure Simone's safety?

This book features plenty of surprising and entertaining twists and turns but, after reading the full series one after the other, I
Jenny Delandro
Toni Yan
Technically three and a half stars, but difficult to implement with the system.

The last book of the Dark Heavens trilogy, it concludes with a clash among demons, gods and other mythological creatures. While it may not be truly satisfactory, leaving many questions still open, it does leave room for Chan's second trilogy, Journey to Wudang quite open.

If there is something to gripe about, it would be the characterisation of Emma Donahoe (what with the whole serpent/ am I a demon thing? Do I deserve
Kaye Draper
This book was bit of a let down, simply because this is marketed as a "trilogy" and this book, supposedly the last of the three, was not the end of the story. It didn't even wrap things up and was clearly NOT the last book in a "trilogy". The story continues with the "Journey to Wudang" series. I have no idea why they are marketed as two different sets of stories... makes no sense. Regardless they are all good reads, great detailed mythology, but can drag a little at times.
I read through the books of this series rather like popcorn, just chewed on through. One thing I have noticed is that each of them focusing on one of the three remaining winds. Blue Dragon works with Ah Qing, the blue dragon of the east. I came into reading this book with the assumption that the story would come to some kind of an end only to find out the story continues along for six more books. Not exactly the most heartening as the prose is sometimes a lot to get through and all of these book ...more
Barbara ★
I was disconcerted to learn that in fact this wasn't the series conclusion. The series is actually a trio of trilogies with this being book three of the first trilogy so it ended with tons of things up in the air. Now I have to find a copy of Earth to Hell to continue the series - which is unfortunately not available at my library.

In this installment we finally get a demon showdown and unfortunately for our hero and heroine, the demons are stronger and more vicious than they are. John Chen is ba
The third book in Ms Chan’s rip-roaring yarn of gods and demons, magic and science and martial arts, lives up to the promise of its predecessors and more. Our heroine Emma battles to discover her true nature and protect the daughter of the man she loves from the demons who would get at him through her death, while he, a 3,000-year-old God, struggles to retain enough energy to remain on the mortal plane and protect them both. Chan has a wonderful way about her writing where it just pulls you in a ...more
how is it that this author can finish the book at the exact right point and tie off all loose plot threads, but still make me almost scream in frustration because the next book is not sitting next to me waiting to be read?
kinda glad there's no book 4. i like these enough to keep reading. but the author does enough repetition of the same goddamn phrase to irk me.
Sarah Clifton
Yes! Finally finished my reading challenge for 2014! Loved the Dark Heavens trilogy and can't wait to read the sequel Journey to Wudang - Earth to Hell book 1
Tahlia Newland
Another great one in this series, more of the same, but more surprises too as the heroine increases her powers and new demons are unleashed. Fascinating stuff. I was a little disappointed with the end though, not quite enough of a conclusion for me. I didn't expect happily ever after, but I would have liked to have left our heroine in a healthier state.

It looks like I'll have to read 3 more books to get a satisfactory conclusion and I'm not sure I want more very nasty demons and martial arts en
Why didn't I find this series earlier? Seriously! I can't put this book down. GIANT PLOT TWIST!
loved all 3 books, staring on the next 3, Kylie is an awesome writer, couldnt put the books down once i started, that hasnt happened to me in a long time.
So far, this has been a very fun series that is as eclectic as the author's background. She is an Australian born Caucasian whose husband is Chinese. She incorporates Chinese myth to make a very strong, fun story with fairly likable characters.

As with many new authors, there are a few structural problems, and the books could use a bit of editorial help, but for me, the story carried me along and I didn't really notice the flaws.

As a side note, this series is made up of a trio of trilogies, and
Heather Rohrer
This book was enjoyable to read and had an interesting ending.
This is really involved series. You have to be able to process a lot of info with very little hand holding. I like that. Also, the story reads in an extremely blunt, to the point, fashion. We are shopping, bam someone is dead, wtf, bummer dude, and we are over it. I think that highlights the Tao theme, the cold blooded ideology of lead characters, etc. it's fun, good times. But not For everyone. Some pre-existing knowledge of some eastern traditions, culture, geography, etc is helpful for some s ...more
If you've started on the White Tiger Series, you'll know how good this is. Unfortunately, it doesn't all come to a nice neat conclusion, and I've now moved on to the next series to keep following the tale. Seriously good read, though, and I'm so glad to have come across Kylie's work. I hope she can write fast, because I'm catching up...
I am glad its over
  • The Dark Age (The Ancient Future, #1)
  • Gilfeather (Isles of Glory, #2)
  • The Better To See You (Transplanted Tales, #2)
  • The Chaos Crystal (Tide Lords, #4)
  • Dark Space (Sentients of Orion, #1)
  • The Sending (The Obernewtyn Chronicles, #6)
  • A Little Moonlight (The Best of Betty Neels)
  • The Shattered City (Creature Court, #2)
  • Wounded (Little Goddess, #2)
  • 1/2 王子 8 (1/2 Prince, #8)
Kylie doesn't participate in the Goodreads network. You can find her fanpage on Facebook or visit her website at

Kylie Chan married a Hong Kong national in a traditional Chinese wedding ceremony in Eastern China, lived in Australia for ten years, then moved to Hong Kong for ten years and during that time learnt a great deal about Chinese culture and came to appreciate the custom
More about Kylie Chan...

Dark Heavens (3 books)
  • White Tiger (Dark Heavens, #1)
  • Red Phoenix (Dark Heavens, #2)
White Tiger (Dark Heavens, #1) Red Phoenix (Dark Heavens, #2) Earth to Hell (Journey to Wudang, #1) Hell to Heaven (Journey to Wudang #2) Heaven to Wudang (Journey to Wudang #3)

“I'm not miserable. Right now, if I had the choice, I would not be anywhere else doing anything else. Here and now, I'm happy. The future can take care of itself.” 2 likes
“The water brightened. The Serpent drifted upwards. The sunlight made streaks of vivid blue in the water. The Serpent reached the surface and lay, unmoving, just beneath. It raised its head slightly above the water. It cried. There was no answer.” 0 likes