Start by marking “Blue Dragon (Dark Heavens #3)” as Want to Read:
Blue Dragon (Dark Heavens #3)

Blue Dragon (Dark Heavens #3)

4.15  ·  Rating Details ·  2,372 Ratings  ·  93 Reviews
A fabulous fantasy adventure, this trilogy is based on Chinese mythology, and is set in modern-day Hong Kong, where an ancient god falls in love with a young Australian woman ...

Martial arts, magic, demons and science - the forces of Hell are poised to strike ...

When Emma's relatives come to visit her, they are totally freaked out by what they learn Emma's beloved, John
Published August 1st 2007 by Voyager - AU (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Blue Dragon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blue Dragon

Crystal Oros
Dec 23, 2015 Crystal Oros rated it it was amazing
An amazing book that effortlessly takes you to another reality. A friend recommended these Kylie Chan books to me and to be honest I didn't think it would be to my taste... But here I am at book 3 and I'm still completely immersed by this series and hanging on to see what's coming next
zjakkelien
Blue dragon continues in the vein of Red phoenix. Emma learns more energy work, there are attacks by weird demons, and we see some more of the Chinese gods, stones, and dragons. I was disappointed about the ending, though. Way too much to-do about destroying Simon Wong, with no explanation of how it was done. A bit deus-ex-machina-like, with skills coming to the fore that we hadn't seen before. Quite frankly, with skills that could have been used to better effect beforehand if they had been ther ...more
Celia
Aug 25, 2007 Celia rated it liked it
There was so much happening in this book - so many demon attacks, so many revelations about Emma's powers, that sometimes I felt quite lost. Chan's writing is sometimes a little stiff, and this is very much a grand romance novel with a good dollop of fantasy. I quite like the romance, and the Chinese mythology she uses as a basis for the fantasy element is unfamiliar and interesting enough to keep me reading. I'll be keeping an eye out for book 4 in 2009, but thankfully this book ended on a rela ...more
Starfire
Y'know, much as I try to come up with some other way to describe it, really this series continues to read like Mortal Kombat fanfic. With a little romance thrown in.

And yet I keep reading. Something in me evidently enjoys something about the books, but I honestly can't tell you what. I just *DO*, 'k? Call them guilty pleasures, and then let's just move on!
ms bookjunkie
OMG damn damn damn damn damn! Take my advice, do not read this book before you have access to Journey to Wudang! Because you'll want to know what happens next…

Absofreakinglutely a crackalicious read, in the best sense of the word. As in, all the addictive deliciousness without any of the WTFery. Exciting, satisfying and OMG so addictive. Love.

Is it September 25th yet?
Belinda
Apr 28, 2012 Belinda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, 2012
I love all three of these books, they are so well written and easy to read, I literally read this book in about a day.

Kylie Chan is awesome, and I look forward to reading more of her books!
Madison
Jul 31, 2013 Madison rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
1st reread- 26/9/16
Bridget
I am not sure how to categorize this series, but it keeps me coming back. Emma was a normal Australian girl who is hired to care for a little girl whose mother has died, but all is not as it seems. By this book, Emma is contending with loving a man she can rarely touch, who happens to be a god in human form, she herself is revealing a snake in her inner self, and constant attacks and betrayals by a son of the demon god. Actually, this is very complicated but Emma's love for Johan/Xuan Wu is deep ...more
Csw
Jun 09, 2017 Csw rated it it was amazing
A word of warning: Even though this is the end of the Dark Heavens Trilogy, it definitely leaves many issues in the air to be addressed in the following books. I did not appreciate that while reading it, so was initially disappointed in the lack of resolution, but loved the book nonetheless.
Robin
This review is pasted for all of the following:
White Tiger (Dark Heavens, #1) by Kylie ChanRed Phoenix (Dark Heavens, #2) by Kylie ChanBlue Dragon (Dark Heavens, #3) by Kylie ChanEarth to Hell (Journey to Wudang, #1) by Kylie ChanHell to Heaven (Journey to Wudang #2) by Kylie ChanHeaven to Wudang (Journey to Wudang #3) by Kylie Chan

4 1/2 STARS

Reasons I bloody LOVE! Kylie Chan's "Dark Heavens" & "Journey to Wudang" (& soon to be "Celestial Battle") trilogies. . .

#1. You do not need to read the "Dark Heavens" trilogy before reading the "Journey to Wudang" trilogy. It wouldn't hurt, because you'll want to know what happened, but essentially, you can just jump right in at book 4 of the complete series or book 1 of "Journey to Wudang".

#2. These books are written with a lo
Jenny Delandro
Aug 09, 2010 Jenny Delandro rated it really liked it
Dark Matter
Jan 12, 2014 Dark Matter rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This and more reviews, interviews etc are on Dark Matter Zine, an online magazine. http://www.darkmatterzine.com. This review was written by Nalini Haynes for Dark Matter Zine.

Dark Heavens book 3

Blue Dragon is the third in the Dark Heavens trilogy, preceded by White Tiger and Red Phoenix (books one and two respectively), as well as the more recent prequel Small Shen. My reviews are at the novel links.

All tell the story of John Chen, Dark Lord and Chinese god of martial arts, his daughter Simone
Dianne
Nov 02, 2011 Dianne rated it liked it
Blue Dragon: Dark Heavens Book Three (Angry Robot) Chan, Kylie
Let me just say this-—I have gone from really disliking this series, to admiring some of it and at least being curious to see more. I eagerly finished “Blue Dragon” pondered all of the unanswered questions and immediately went to search for the author’s web site to see when the next book comes out. After all we do need the Turtles book since we’ve had books about the other winds haven’t we?
Well I searched the author’s web site high a
Robert
Apr 07, 2014 Robert rated it really liked it
This is the last book in the trilogy, a great way to end part of the plot.
The writing is still great, although there are some issues when it comes to characters.
Leo, for example, who is tasked to guard Simone throughout the trilogy has his limits by being a human. When the eventual happens, and he fails, he says the following:
‘While we were at the playground, he appeared. He said hello, she ran to him, he took her hand and they both disappeared.’ He dropped his head. ‘I didn’t think fast enough.
Nicole
Toni Yan
Nov 16, 2013 Toni Yan rated it really liked it
Technically three and a half stars, but difficult to implement with the system.

The last book of the Dark Heavens trilogy, it concludes with a clash among demons, gods and other mythological creatures. While it may not be truly satisfactory, leaving many questions still open, it does leave room for Chan's second trilogy, Journey to Wudang quite open.

If there is something to gripe about, it would be the characterisation of Emma Donahoe (what with the whole serpent/ am I a demon thing? Do I deserve
Jeffrey
Feb 13, 2012 Jeffrey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, read-in-2012
Kylie Chan's final-ish volume in her Dark Heavens trilogy is great fun and, unlike Red Phoenix, draws to a real conclusion, even if not everything is resolved.

Picking up almost immediately after the previous volume, Emma's family must be protected from a foe who has no honor and John's time on Earth is running out. What will Emma sacrifice to ensure Simone's safety?

This book features plenty of surprising and entertaining twists and turns but, after reading the full series one after the other, I
Cat Sheely
Apr 22, 2014 Cat Sheely rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I initially thought "more of the same". However, I found myself continuing to turn pages because I found the characters interesting. I am not sure I always thought the writing was brilliant but that didn't really matter because I had invested in Emma, Simone, John and Leo. I wanted to know what happened to them. Thus the author achieved her goal, and mine.

And at times I found myself very touched, usually in unexpected places. I wanted the best for these characters who had enemies everywhere. The
Barbara ★
I was disconcerted to learn that in fact this wasn't the series conclusion. The series is actually a trio of trilogies with this being book three of the first trilogy so it ended with tons of things up in the air. Now I have to find a copy of Earth to Hell to continue the series - which is unfortunately not available at my library.

In this installment we finally get a demon showdown and unfortunately for our hero and heroine, the demons are stronger and more vicious than they are. John Chen is ba
Greymalkin
Apr 12, 2012 Greymalkin rated it liked it
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
Mark
Jan 18, 2012 Mark rated it liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
The third book in Ms Chan’s rip-roaring yarn of gods and demons, magic and science and martial arts, lives up to the promise of its predecessors and more. Our heroine Emma battles to discover her true nature and protect the daughter of the man she loves from the demons who would get at him through her death, while he, a 3,000-year-old God, struggles to retain enough energy to remain on the mortal plane and protect them both. Chan has a wonderful way about her writing where it just pulls you in a ...more
Tahlia Newland
Feb 17, 2011 Tahlia Newland rated it really liked it
Another great one in this series, more of the same, but more surprises too as the heroine increases her powers and new demons are unleashed. Fascinating stuff. I was a little disappointed with the end though, not quite enough of a conclusion for me. I didn't expect happily ever after, but I would have liked to have left our heroine in a healthier state.

It looks like I'll have to read 3 more books to get a satisfactory conclusion and I'm not sure I want more very nasty demons and martial arts en
Debi
Mar 21, 2016 Debi rated it really liked it
This is the third book in the Trilogy and I am reviewing Red Phoenix along with Blue Dragon as one book because I honestly feel that the entire trilogy needs to be one book and then shortened drastically. I really liked so much of the entire story. And I am being forgiving of a total lack of good editing but the whole series was way too long, too repetitive and way too slow to develop. And....it isn't even close to over.....but it's over for me. At least for now. I just can't plow through anothe ...more
Meghan
Dec 13, 2013 Meghan rated it really liked it
This is really involved series. You have to be able to process a lot of info with very little hand holding. I like that. Also, the story reads in an extremely blunt, to the point, fashion. We are shopping, bam someone is dead, wtf, bummer dude, and we are over it. I think that highlights the Tao theme, the cold blooded ideology of lead characters, etc. it's fun, good times. But not For everyone. Some pre-existing knowledge of some eastern traditions, culture, geography, etc is helpful for some s ...more
Steve
So far, this has been a very fun series that is as eclectic as the author's background. She is an Australian born Caucasian whose husband is Chinese. She incorporates Chinese myth to make a very strong, fun story with fairly likable characters.

As with many new authors, there are a few structural problems, and the books could use a bit of editorial help, but for me, the story carried me along and I didn't really notice the flaws.

As a side note, this series is made up of a trio of trilogies, and
Dr susan
Nov 02, 2012 Dr susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: re-read, own
Kylie Chan's writing style takes a little time to get used to, but the books are worth the effort. I read the first trilogy when it came out last year and have been waiting for the second trilogy to see how Emma and John get out of this mess. I reread Blue Dragon before starting Earth to Hell, and I am glad I did. BD has so many twists, turns, deaths and transformations that I have decided to wait until Heaven to Wudang comes out the end of November, so I will be able to read the complete trilog ...more
Alledria
Oct 07, 2014 Alledria rated it really liked it
I read through the books of this series rather like popcorn, just chewed on through. One thing I have noticed is that each of them focusing on one of the three remaining winds. Blue Dragon works with Ah Qing, the blue dragon of the east. I came into reading this book with the assumption that the story would come to some kind of an end only to find out the story continues along for six more books. Not exactly the most heartening as the prose is sometimes a lot to get through and all of these book ...more
Klanderson
Jun 03, 2016 Klanderson rated it liked it
Reads like a Piers Anthony Zanth novel at times. (I gave up on those in the '80s). Sorry to say that I'll not read the next 6 books. I do hope that the author's writing improves. Also, lots of editing mistakes--maybes this is the new norm. I sure hope not.
Lots of interesting plot ideas in this trilogy. However, I seriously think that thousand-year old characters should have greater wisdom than is shown in this series. Onward to other books to read.
Hannah
Feb 29, 2012 Hannah rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult, myths-legends
Quite action packed. I was expecting something big, since they spent all of last book leading up to it (so suspenseful), but this was quite amusing. I can't wait for the second trilogy to be released this year. I will definitely be buying it. So many questions, so many things I want to find out.

I have to say, some of the things that are alluded but not explained (Very Danny/Rusty by the way) I'm not quite understanding. Oh well. Must read the books again to understand.
Stevie
Jul 12, 2008 Stevie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
This is my review for the whole trilogy.

I was sceptical about weather I would like this series since I'm not all that into martial arts (I gotta start trusting my friends reading suggestions more lol) but I really loved this series...It had a lot of humour in it and I found myself really caring about the characters (particularly Leo and Simone) and I truly can't wait to see what happens next!
  • The Dark Age (The Ancient Future, #1)
  • The Better To See You (Transplanted Tales, #2)
  • Dark Space (Sentients of Orion, #1)
  • The Chaos Crystal (Tide Lords, #4)
  • 1/2 王子 4 (1/2 Prince, #4)
  • Gilfeather (Isles of Glory, #2)
  • Always and Forever
  • The Sending (The Obernewtyn Chronicles, #6)
Kylie doesn't participate in the Goodreads network. You can find her fanpage on Facebook or visit her website at www.kyliechan.com.

Kylie Chan married a Hong Kong national in a traditional Chinese wedding ceremony in Eastern China, lived in Australia for ten years, then moved to Hong Kong for ten years and during that time learnt a great deal about Chinese culture and came to appreciate the custom
More about Kylie Chan...

Dark Heavens (3 books)
  • White Tiger (Dark Heavens, #1)
  • Red Phoenix (Dark Heavens, #2)

“I'm not miserable. Right now, if I had the choice, I would not be anywhere else doing anything else. Here and now, I'm happy. The future can take care of itself.” 2 likes
“The water brightened. The Serpent drifted upwards. The sunlight made streaks of vivid blue in the water. The Serpent reached the surface and lay, unmoving, just beneath. It raised its head slightly above the water. It cried. There was no answer.” 0 likes