Start by marking “Blue Dragon (Dark Heavens #3)” as Want to Read:
Blue Dragon (Dark Heavens #3)

Blue Dragon

(Dark Heavens #3)

A fabulous fantasy adventure, this trilogy is based on Chinese mythology, and is set in modern-day Hong Kong, where an ancient god falls in love with a young Australian woman ...

Martial arts, magic, demons and science - the forces of Hell are poised to strike ...

When Emma's relatives come to visit her, they are totally freaked out by what they learn Emma's beloved, John
Published August 1st 2007 by Voyager - AU (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Blue Dragon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blue Dragon

Crystal Oros
Dec 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An amazing book that effortlessly takes you to another reality. A friend recommended these Kylie Chan books to me and to be honest I didn't think it would be to my taste... But here I am at book 3 and I'm still completely immersed by this series and hanging on to see what's coming next
Kaotic
May 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library
I'm not sure how to feel about the end of the series.

I am glad there was no "happily ever after" at the end, and there was some closure, but I feel like there is a lot left unsaid for these characters that I would have liked to see.

The beginning of the series was hard to get into but by the end of it I was fairly invested. My main, real complaint about the series is that I couldn't stand Emma.

She was too much of a Mary Sue type character who was too naturally good at everything and the way she
zjakkelien
Blue dragon continues in the vein of Red phoenix. Emma learns more energy work, there are attacks by weird demons, and we see some more of the Chinese gods, stones, and dragons. I was disappointed about the ending, though. Way too much to-do about destroying Simon Wong, with no explanation of how it was done. A bit deus-ex-machina-like, with skills coming to the fore that we hadn't seen before. Quite frankly, with skills that could have been used to better effect beforehand if they had been ther ...more
Ingrid Spera
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
THIS IS *NOT* A TRILOGY! The story does not wrap up after the this book! I'm so disgusted. I continued to read because I enjoyed the overall idea of the book, but I've come to despise Emma so much and how the writer uses descriptors that don't fit, create excess drama that adds nothing to the story, and, did I mention how much I don't like Emma? I figured I'd deal with it because it's a trilogy so it'll all work out and be worth it... only it's not and it doesn't so it's not. I wish I would have ...more
Anthony
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dragons
Robin
Dec 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People who like: Chinese Mythology or Mythology in general, Urban Fantasy, Martial Arts, Paranormal
This review is pasted for all of the following:
White Tiger (Dark Heavens, #1) by Kylie ChanRed Phoenix (Dark Heavens, #2) by Kylie ChanBlue Dragon (Dark Heavens, #3) by Kylie ChanEarth to Hell (Journey to Wudang, #1) by Kylie ChanHell to Heaven (Journey to Wudang #2) by Kylie ChanHeaven to Wudang (Journey to Wudang #3) by Kylie Chan

4 1/2 STARS

Reasons I bloody LOVE! Kylie Chan's "Dark Heavens" & "Journey to Wudang" (& soon to be "Celestial Battle") trilogies. . .

#1. You do not need to read the "Dark Heavens" trilogy before reading the "Journey to Wudang" trilogy. It wouldn't hurt, because you'll want to know what happened, but essentially, you can just jump right in at book 4 of the complete series or book 1 of "Journey to Wudang".

#2. These books are written with a lo
Jeffrey
Feb 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, read-in-2012
Kylie Chan's final-ish volume in her Dark Heavens trilogy is great fun and, unlike Red Phoenix, draws to a real conclusion, even if not everything is resolved.

Picking up almost immediately after the previous volume, Emma's family must be protected from a foe who has no honor and John's time on Earth is running out. What will Emma sacrifice to ensure Simone's safety?

This book features plenty of surprising and entertaining twists and turns but, after reading the full series one after the other, I
Barbara ★
I was disconcerted to learn that in fact this wasn't the series conclusion. The series is actually a trio of trilogies with this being book three of the first trilogy so it ended with tons of things up in the air. Now I have to find a copy of Earth to Hell to continue the series - which is unfortunately not available at my library.

In this installment we finally get a demon showdown and unfortunately for our hero and heroine, the demons are stronger and more vicious than they are. John Chen is ba
Celia
Aug 25, 2007 rated it liked it
There was so much happening in this book - so many demon attacks, so many revelations about Emma's powers, that sometimes I felt quite lost. Chan's writing is sometimes a little stiff, and this is very much a grand romance novel with a good dollop of fantasy. I quite like the romance, and the Chinese mythology she uses as a basis for the fantasy element is unfamiliar and interesting enough to keep me reading. I'll be keeping an eye out for book 4 in 2009, but thankfully this book ended on a rela ...more
Karen
Jun 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Reads like a Piers Anthony Zanth novel at times. (I gave up on those in the '80s). Sorry to say that I'll not read the next 6 books. I do hope that the author's writing improves. Also, lots of editing mistakes--maybes this is the new norm. I sure hope not.
Lots of interesting plot ideas in this trilogy. However, I seriously think that thousand-year old characters should have greater wisdom than is shown in this series. Onward to other books to read.
Starfire
Y'know, much as I try to come up with some other way to describe it, really this series continues to read like Mortal Kombat fanfic. With a little romance thrown in.

And yet I keep reading. Something in me evidently enjoys something about the books, but I honestly can't tell you what. I just *DO*, 'k? Call them guilty pleasures, and then let's just move on!
ms bookjunkie
OMG damn damn damn damn damn! Take my advice, do not read this book before you have access to Journey to Wudang! Because you'll want to know what happens next…

Absofreakinglutely a crackalicious read, in the best sense of the word. As in, all the addictive deliciousness without any of the WTFery. Exciting, satisfying and OMG so addictive. Love.

Is it September 25th yet?
Kevin
Jul 15, 2014 rated it liked it
kinda glad there's no book 4. i like these enough to keep reading. but the author does enough repetition of the same goddamn phrase to irk me.
Belinda
Apr 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012, fantasy
I love all three of these books, they are so well written and easy to read, I literally read this book in about a day.

Kylie Chan is awesome, and I look forward to reading more of her books!
Trena
Shelves: books-i-own
1st reread- 26/9/16
Lyn Haines
Oct 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
The superb Dark Heavens trilogy, by author Kylie Chan, seamlessly weaves bright threads of Chinese traditions, languages, philosophy and mythology into a thrilling romantic adventure story.

Dark Heavens
Emma, a 28 year old Australian working in Hong Kong, is devoted to her young charge Simone however she begins to suspect that the girl's father, the mysterious John Chen and his bodyguard Leo are not all they seem. She discovers a dangerous new world of gods and demons and wakes a sleeping power wi
Bridget
I am not sure how to categorize this series, but it keeps me coming back. Emma was a normal Australian girl who is hired to care for a little girl whose mother has died, but all is not as it seems. By this book, Emma is contending with loving a man she can rarely touch, who happens to be a god in human form, she herself is revealing a snake in her inner self, and constant attacks and betrayals by a son of the demon god. Actually, this is very complicated but Emma's love for Johan/Xuan Wu is deep ...more
Ashleigh Motbey
Oct 03, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. A good ending to the series. I found my self almost crying at the end. In some ways, I thought some parts dragged on a little too much and did not find the book in general as enjoyable as the first two. But I thoroughly enjoyed the ending and I am looking forward to reading the next series.
Jeanette Schaeche
Kick-ass battles? In-depth lore and mythology? Amazing characters? Witty dialogue? A high stakes plot? Moments of disbelief? Unexpected twists?

Blue Dragon has them all.

It’s a thought contest between the first and third book as to which is my favourite of this volume in Kylie Chan’s epic world. They rank pretty much on par with one another.

Can’t wait to start on volume 2.
Carla
Oct 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Found this volume three in the dollar store. So glad I picked it up. It took a couple of chapters to get up to speed on what had gone before but, once I had . . . The characters are interesting and well drawn, the story in this stood alone and drew me in and held me through the end.
Csw
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A word of warning: Even though this is the end of the Dark Heavens Trilogy, it definitely leaves many issues in the air to be addressed in the following books. I did not appreciate that while reading it, so was initially disappointed in the lack of resolution, but loved the book nonetheless.
Sonya Brennan
Nov 05, 2018 rated it did not like it
Couldn't even get through it. If Emma gets hit by a bus I'll keep going.
Jodie
Aug 29, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 Good storyline, shame it still reads like a young adult book trying to be a serious novel
Brian
Mar 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wish-list
Enthralling!

Didn't want to put this book down. I loved the inclusion of the Chinese culture and the development of all the characters.
Midu Hadi
Jenny Delandro
Aug 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
Dark Matter
Jan 12, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This and more reviews, interviews etc are on Dark Matter Zine, an online magazine. http://www.darkmatterzine.com. This review was written by Nalini Haynes for Dark Matter Zine.

Dark Heavens book 3

Blue Dragon is the third in the Dark Heavens trilogy, preceded by White Tiger and Red Phoenix (books one and two respectively), as well as the more recent prequel Small Shen. My reviews are at the novel links.

All tell the story of John Chen, Dark Lord and Chinese god of martial arts, his daughter Simone
Dianne
Nov 02, 2011 rated it liked it
Blue Dragon: Dark Heavens Book Three (Angry Robot) Chan, Kylie
Let me just say this-—I have gone from really disliking this series, to admiring some of it and at least being curious to see more. I eagerly finished “Blue Dragon” pondered all of the unanswered questions and immediately went to search for the author’s web site to see when the next book comes out. After all we do need the Turtles book since we’ve had books about the other winds haven’t we?
Well I searched the author’s web site high a
Robert
Apr 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is the last book in the trilogy, a great way to end part of the plot.
The writing is still great, although there are some issues when it comes to characters.
Leo, for example, who is tasked to guard Simone throughout the trilogy has his limits by being a human. When the eventual happens, and he fails, he says the following:
‘While we were at the playground, he appeared. He said hello, she ran to him, he took her hand and they both disappeared.’ He dropped his head. ‘I didn’t think fast enough.
  • The Dark Age (The Ancient Future, #1)
  • The Better To See You (Transplanted Tales, #2)
  • Dark Space (Sentients of Orion, #1)
  • The Chaos Crystal (Tide Lords, #4)
  • 1/2 王子 4 (1/2 Prince, #4)
  • Gilfeather (Isles of Glory, #2)
  • Always and Forever
  • The Sending (The Obernewtyn Chronicles, #6)
Kylie doesn't participate in the Goodreads network. You can find her fanpage on Facebook or visit her website at www.kyliechan.com.

Kylie Chan married a Hong Kong national in a traditional Chinese wedding ceremony in Eastern China, lived in Australia for ten years, then moved to Hong Kong for ten years and during that time learnt a great deal about Chinese culture and came to appreciate the custom

Dark Heavens (4 books)
  • White Tiger (Dark Heavens, #1)
  • Red Phoenix (Dark Heavens, #2)
  • Dark Heavens Trilogy
“I'm not miserable. Right now, if I had the choice, I would not be anywhere else doing anything else. Here and now, I'm happy. The future can take care of itself.” 3 likes
“The water brightened. The Serpent drifted upwards. The sunlight made streaks of vivid blue in the water. The Serpent reached the surface and lay, unmoving, just beneath. It raised its head slightly above the water. It cried. There was no answer.” 0 likes