Start by marking “The Essential Ken Wilber” as Want to Read:
The Essential Ken Wilber

The Essential Ken Wilber

Ever since the publication of his first book, The Spectrum of Consciousness, written when he was twenty-three, Ken Wilber has been identified as the most comprehensive philosophical thinker of our times. This introductory sampler, designed to acquaint newcomers with his work, contains brief passages from his most popular books, ranging over a variety of topics, including ...more
Published September 14th 1998 by Shambhala

To ask other readers questions about The Essential Ken Wilber, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Essential Ken Wilber

Start your review of The Essential Ken Wilber
Jake
Sep 16, 2010 rated it liked it
Ken Wilber is an incredible intellectual and author. He is a great source for those of us who enjoy exploring the crossroads between philosophy, science, and spirituality.

I don't think this book is really the essential Wilber. It is a summary of WIlber's early work on transpersonal psychology/spirituality. But it does not capture the depth of his later work.
A.P. Sweet
Oct 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
For a first time reader this is a perfect book to start. His views are not only intelligent but they are non-abrasive. He gives his views of the world in a manner that you feel they are correct. I would love to sit down and have a conversation with him. I'm sure I could be transformed in some way.
Kelly
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
I've been reading more of Ken Wilber's books because I am intrigued by what he's trying to do - integrate all of the world's major beliefs/theories/worldviews into one integral theory. But this is a collection of pieces from his other books, so it was duplicative of work I just read. No need to read this if you're reading his other books.
Mckinley
Wonderful primer to the ideas of Integral Theory
Johnny O'toole
Oct 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: philosophy
Popped the top off the black box of unifying theories for me.
Stephschiff
Jan 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Seekers
This is a great place to start learning about Integral Life Practice and Integral Philosophy. Ken Wilber offers a framework for understanding the world, cultures, religions, politics, parenting, psychology, social work, and nearly anything else you can think of. I am not religious so please don't let the mention of it in this review turn you off - KW is a must read author whether you are a dedicated student of religion or an all out atheist.

This is especially helpful in psychology and social
Jean
Jan 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: philosophy
THIS IS AN INTRODUCTORY TO KEN WILBER'S WORKS WHICH COVER A VARIETY OF TOPICS.IT IS AN INTERESTING READ FOR THOSE WHO ARE ENGAGED IN UNDERSTANDING EASTERN SPIRITUAL CONCEPTS, MEDITATION AND WHO ARE SEARCHING FOR DEEPER INSIGHT INTO THE TRANSPERSONAL.
Greta
Jul 12, 2013 rated it liked it
Ken Wilber is a really smart guy. He definitely has a grasp of "the big picture". I like what he says and how he thinks. But if I said I understood everything he talked about in these mere snippets of his more in-depth work, I'd be lying.
David Weber
Oh hey!
Tone
Mar 26, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: beliefs, philosophy
I'm not sure if assembling snippets of his larger works helps communicate his ideas better.
Tonette
Mar 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
It's essential Ken Wilber. If you respect his path, this book is very thorough. I do think he is brilliant.
Gary Klein
This is a good overview of Ken Wilber's philosophy. I enjoyed it and now have a better understanding of integral thought.
Sam Vanneman
Apr 27, 2008 rated it did not like it
atrocious writing!
Carrie
Jan 02, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: spiritual-stuff
Parts of this book are profound, but it's certainly not written for any layman to just come along and understand what the "hey" he's trying to say. Admitedly disappointed...
Vince
Holly Selph
Jun 01, 2007
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• The Places That Scare You: A Guide to Fearlessness in Difficult Times
  • Focal Point: A Proven System to Simplify Your Life, Double Your Productivity, and Achieve All Your Goals
  • Integrative Nutrition: Feed Your Hunger for Health and Happiness
  • Overachievement: The New Science of Working Less to Accomplish More
  • Loving What Is: Four Questions That Can Change Your Life
  • Mastery: The Keys to Success and Long-Term Fulfillment
  • Real Magic: Creating Miracles in Everyday Life
  • Strength for Life: The Fitness Plan for the Rest of Your Life
  • A Collegiate Casting-Out of Devilish Devices (Discworld #37.5)
  • The Leap: The Psychology of Spiritual Awakening
  • The World of Poo (Discworld, #39.5)
  • The Method of No-Method: The Chan Practice of Silent Illumination
  • The Amazing Power of Deliberate Intent
  • Chi Marathon: The Breakthrough Natural Running Program for a Pain-Free Half Marathon and Marathon
  • Constructive Living
  • Do You!: 12 Laws to Access the Power in You to Achieve Happiness and Success
  • By the River Piedra I Sat Down and Wept
  • Body Mind Mastery: Training for Sport and Life
Ken Wilber is the most widely translated academic writer in America, with 25 books translated into some 30 foreign languages, and is the first philosopher-psychologist to have his Collected Works published while still alive. Wilber is an internationally acknowledged leader and the preeminent scholar of the Integral stage of human development, which continues to gather momentum around the world. ...more
“And gone the Godless destiny of death and desperation, and gone the madness of a life committed to uncare, and gone the tears and terror of the brutal days and endless nights where time alone would rule.” 0 likes