Start by marking “Integral Spirituality” as Want to Read:
Integral Spirituality

Integral Spirituality

Integral Spirituality: A Startling New Role for Religion in the Modern and Postmodern World is being widely called the most important book on spirituality in our time.

Applying his highly acclaimed integral approach, Ken Wilber formulates a theory of spirituality that honors the truths of modernity and postmodernity—including the revolutions in science and culture—while inc

Published November 1st 2006 by Shambhala Publications (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Integral Spirituality, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Integral Spirituality

Start your review of Integral Spirituality
Drick
Dec 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: personal-growth
I picked this book up after seeing it cited in another book; I was intrigued. When I started reading the book, I was blown away. Space does not allow me to begin to explain all that is here (even if I could). Suffice it to say that Ken Wilber is attempting to integrate psychological theory, spiritual traditions, religious traditions, and science into one integrated framework that speaks to the postmodern perspective of our age. At times I was completely lost, but in the end I was given a new len ...more
David
Jun 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Ken Wilber, Integral Spirituality: A Startling New Role for Religion in the Modern and Postmodern World, Integral Books, Boston, 2007.

It was only in my second reading of this book that I began to feel that I was coming to grips with its depth and complexity. I have heard Ken Wilber described as the world’s greatest modern philosopher. The pioneer of the Integral Approach, he has come up with a way of thinking that includes every aspect of knowledge. It does not add to them so much as reorganizes
Mitzi
Dec 07, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: spirituality
Sadly, I didn't finish this book - I gave up after the short intro to Wilber's integral theory. By the end of it my head was jumbled up with levels and stages and phases - it wasn't incomprehensible, it just wasn't enjoyable. I think the same ideas presented in a different way would have made me want to keep reading. Maybe trying an older Wilber book before attempting this one might have been a good idea...
Sky
May 05, 2009 rated it did not like it
Back in the day, many taoists used to make fun of Confucius. It's about time some folks do the same with Wilber, who's totally lost in way too much -isms and other difficult words, fancy colors and hierarchies...
Giorgi Bazerashvili
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
After "No Boundary", Ken Wilber once again amazed me with his holistic, big-picture and integral understanding and approaches of spirituality and psychology. In this book, he talks about an Integral framework that he calls the AQAL (All Quadrants All Levels) framework, which, basically describes all of life if one thinks about it.

Understanding all quadrants and all levels is required if we want to have a map of human development. This framework integrates individual and collective parts of life,
Ethan
Mar 08, 2016 rated it it was ok
In "Integral Spirituality" Ken Wilber calls himself a mapmaker and sets out to create a sort of universal coordinate system for arguments. In his view, conflict between people often results from confusion about terms, perspectives, and differences in intelligence levels.

To sort things out he divided everything up for discussion into two groups of either singular or collective things, and then divides those into two groups of either interior or exterior. This is his quadrant system, but within ea
Andrea
Dec 23, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is not an easy read. You have to really want to read it, but it's worth it especially for the chronic seeker such as myself. For me it really made sense and helped me reconcile where I am vs. where a lot of fundamentalist Christians, etc. are; even atheists. Highly recommended - but it's not easy!
Jake
Ken Wilber is an incredible intellectual and author. He is a great source for those of us who enjoy exploring the crossroads between philosophy, science, and spirituality.

This book is WIlber's latest thinking on spirituality. It has some really mind blowing concepts.
Robert Narojek
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
It is important and good book.
Well-documented scientific approach to spirituality, once you get through the first eight chapters of scientific analysis and hypothesis, then the main point is clearly spelled out in the Chapter 9 – The Conveyor Belt ☺

Over all for me there is too much of a “plug” – for The Institute, however it is worth reading it.

Advancing in spiritual development requires becoming aware of the Integral Spiritual approach – enjoy it if you dare.

Bookpuppy
DNF I'm adding this to my list of books read in 2012 even though I couldn't finish because it was so painful to read the parts I did get through.

The problems with this book that made it impossible to go on:

* pseudo-intellectual jargon. Wilber creates a whole new language for the whole of reality, then writes a whole book in it, expecting readers who are smart enough and enlightened enough to 'get it and appreciate it'. (This is like taking a crash course in a foreign language then trying to read
Meadow Johnson
Dec 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
Interesting idea, but very poorly written. It would benefit from a good editor for structure, repetition, and to remove the crude analogies and overused idioms.
Micke Goteman
May 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
The 10% of the book that I was able to follow was really interesting :)

Wilber had some interesting points but I really struggled to follow what he was talking about, the graphs he kept referring to for various stages and levels, etc. To be honest I was also unsure how to relate to the these theories because I don't have a context for who the author is and how these findings compare to other research or theories in this field. That may not be fair criticism of the book, but it certainly held me b
Ietrio
Apr 10, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: junk
Never mind the Dark Ages! Wilber is here with a message of happiness.
Peter Levenstrong
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Gives religion a purpose in our present day world
Matt Richards
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Profoundly influenced my worldview and path
Ozifer Eris
Apr 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Love it! I re-listen to this in audio format, very often. Ken Wilber is very concise here.
Willa
Jul 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
this is the clearest analysis of the different aspects of Spirituality and what it could or should be in the Integral Age. It gives a very clear understanding of the complexity of the different views and perspectives that make up our relationship to Spirit, and how, as our consciousness developed, traditional religions, while being timeless in certain aspects, couldn't fully serve us anymore in other aspects. So now the big task for humanity is to find the way forward, without throwing out the b ...more
Naum
Apr 11, 2011 rated it liked it
I must confess, I was totally bogged down in the author's jargon and schematics.

Truly, am interested in theories of levels of consciousness and how people (and cultures, in the aggregate) move up the continuum, but this was difficult sailing as I had to reread sections and then, still, some parts left me glazed over.

The source material is fascinating, but I am not certain that the author (Ken Wilber) has the authoritative take on the matter and I need to explore further (which I have already t
Scottsdale Public Library
Wilber fits spirituality into a multiperspective framework that allows a person to understand it's relationship with science and art, and its meaning for both the individual and the collective us. He presents here a developmental model that explains where consciousness has been and where it might be headed.

Wilber's forte is integrating knowledge from across the board, never excluding knowledge. His motto is "no one is dumb enough to be wrong about everything." A brilliant thinker with an encyc
Johann
Jul 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
I will never be able to overstate the role of Ken Wilber's writing in my life.

He can loom a thread that spans hundreds, sometimes thousands of years and hold together a spectacular image of human knowledge and meaning, all within a chapter. Sometimes within a paragraph.

He can do so in a way that is elegant and shuns technicality only when absolutely necessary. For the task of his writing, the levity and accessibility of his prose is simply inspiring.

This is the second time I have read this boo
Elizabeth
Jun 11, 2007 rated it really liked it
Post Modern - Cosmic Humanist

Ken Wilber's seminars are attended by the Elite. Wilber’s books are vital for understanding where our society is headed. A Theory of Everything should be the first Wilber book read for a general understanding of his perspective. Integral Spirituality goes much more in-depth and shows Wilber's depth of knowledge. By 4 stars I mean it's an important book maybe not that I "loved" it. Some good, some lies. I think Wilber has a lot right but has dangerous perspectives on
Doug Allen
Jan 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another almost impossibly dense book by Wilber that is absolutely rewarding if you can get through it. If you've read books like The End of Faith: Religion, Terror, and the Future of Reason, then you should absolutely read this, because Wilber takes Sam Harris' argument a step further, and finds a place for spirituality in an often overly rational world. ...more
Chad
Mar 06, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: philosophy
One of my favorite books of all time! I've been waiting to read this book for many years.

Why do fundamentalist christians think they're seeing Jesus in church? Why do radical Islamists kill themselves in the name of Allah? Why does a Buddhist monk spend years in a cave alone? The answers are in this book, and Wilbers chapter on religion being the great conveyor belt made me realize how important religion is in this world.
Jordan
Aug 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
Great content, as always. An awesome overview of integral theory, with a bit of an application in the realm of spirituality.

Just as dry and dense as most of Wilber's books, but doesn't make it any less important. There is a lot of new material for even well informed integralistas - including dividing the quadrants into eight zones and a bit on integral calculus.

Definitely worth reading. I'm excited for the appendixes as well.
Mason Wren
Aug 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spirituality, growth
Wilber presents the most comprehensive and inclusive developmental framework I have ever been exposed to. It is quite brilliant. The book is not an easy read. That is for sure. But it is definitely worth the extra effort. Understanding a developmental spirituality, along with it's role in the modern and postmodern world, has been one of the most helpful, insightful, and eye-opening things I have learned in a while. This book will be foundational for me for years to come.
Ryan
Jun 05, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Took a while to finish this one, because it's pretty dense material. Still, I really liked it. It's right in line with how I conceive of and understand spirituality and the role of world religions. What's more, it makes an interesting case for the validity of religion in today's increasingly materialistic world. Students of integral theory (such as myself) should certainly read this book.
Rogier
Jun 09, 2008 rated it it was ok
Ken Wilber did more than anybody to make it possible to cover spirituality in polite company, and this book adds a few interesting twists to the repertoire. Unfortunately, as is his wont, the book stays stranded in talking about, and in the phenomenology of, and I can't see it being very helpful in guiding practice rather than conversation.
Ponder
Jul 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is my first book that I've read by Wilber. I thoroughly enjoyed reading through it. It's not for the feint of heart, however! He really gets in there and uses some technical terms and concepts (e.g. Pre-modern, modern, postmodern) and lots of footnotes. His Integral Approach has caught my attention and I plan on re-reading this one a few times and integrating his approach to my own life.
Tom Carroll
Nov 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Four stars instead of five is really a commentary on my intellectual capacity. Integral Spirituality "Broke my Brain"! What I was able to understand of it - was superb. However - It was simply too information rich. To intellectually dense for me to digest. To much for me to keep in perspective as I attempted to move through the book.
Christine
Aug 18, 2008 rated it did not like it
I tried to read Ken Wilber seven years ago and felt he was writing to impress himself. Now, much more experienced and wise, I still believe he created a theory that has no application in the real world.

• Time Is Irreverent
  • Quantum Roots
  • Falling Upward: A Spirituality for the Two Halves of Life
  • Futuristic Violence and Fancy Suits (Zoey Ashe, #1)
  • The Varieties of Religious Experience
  • The Way of the Bodhisattva
  • The Yoga Sutras
  • The Way of the Superior Man: A Spiritual Guide to Mastering the Challenges of Women, Work, and Sexual Desire
  • My Life with the Saints
  • Simple Abundance:  A Daybook of Comfort and Joy
  • Wheels of Life: A User's Guide to the Chakra System
  • Religion for Atheists: A Non-Believer's Guide to the Uses of Religion
  • Secret Squirrels (Bob and Nikki #9)
  • Sabbath: Finding Rest, Renewal, and Delight in Our Busy Lives
  • Sacred Journey of the Peaceful Warrior
  • No Mud, No Lotus: The Art of Transforming Suffering
  • Self Made: Inspired by the Life of Madam C.J. Walker
  • The Way of the Heart: The Spirituality of the Desert Fathers and Mothers
Ken Wilber is the most widely translated academic writer in America, with 25 books translated into some 30 foreign languages, and is the first philosopher-psychologist to have his Collected Works published while still alive. Wilber is an internationally acknowledged leader and the preeminent scholar of the Integral stage of human development, which continues to gather momentum around the world. So ...more

News & Interviews

“Hence, in shorthand, the meaning of a statement is the injunction of its enactment. No injunction, no enactment, no meaning. That is, mere metaphysics.” 0 likes