Start by marking “The Girl Who Never Was (Otherworld, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Girl Who Never Was (Otherworld, #1)

The Girl Who Never Was

(Otherworld #1)

THE GIRL WHO NEVER WAS is the story of Selkie Stewart, who thinks she’s a totally normal teenager growing up in Boston. Sure, her father is in an insane asylum, her mother left her on his doorstep—literally—when she was a baby, and she’s being raised by two ancient aunts who spend their time hunting gnomes in their Beacon Hill townhouse. But other than that her life is tot ...more
Published June 1st 2014 by Sourcebooks Fire

To ask other readers questions about The Girl Who Never Was, please sign up.
Joan I don't understand what happened? Will there be a third book?

Booknut
Hold on to your magical sweater & get ready for the ride of a lifetime!

This book was fantastically, wonderfully, confusingly perfect. I cannot describe it in any other way but this: reading The Girl Who Never Was is like picking up an apple, biting into it, and discovering that it's actually filled with your favourite ice-cream (for those who are curious, my favourite ice-cream is Gelatissimo's lime gelato. I'd take that over an apple any day!)

Weird. Intriguing. And amazing!

But more importa
Obsidian
Jun 09, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
I stopped reading this book at 11 percent. I have no idea what is going on and honestly don't care enough to push on to figure it out either.

The main character is Selkie who is in high school and is obsessed with a guy named Ben that she meets in Boston Common. There are some secrets regarding Selkie's mother and other things but I don't care enough to continue.

The writing was too painful for me to keep trying to get through. I think the main issue is that a lot of thoughts were tied up in jus
Cora Tea Party Princess
5 Words: Oh, I'm a fairy princess.

Although I pretty much enjoyed this story overall, it was one hell of a confusing read.

This takes every fantasy/fairy tale trope and puts it on its head and never explains why anything's different. And that whole time thing was rather annoying, even if it did become a little endearing towards the end.

I felt that Selkie was a bit of a moaner, and perhaps even a little bit of a brat. There were times when I really didn't like her. She seemed to take everything a l
Yzabel Ginsberg
(I received an ARC copy through Edelweiss, in exchange for an honest review. Since it was an ARC, though, some things may be different in the published version of this book.)

I am sorely late in reading and reviewing this book. My mistake for not keeping track of when which review was due. Apologies to the publisher for this. Unfortunately, I have to admit I didn’t like this book, balancing between “it’s OK” and “this is getting long… are we there yet?”

It had plenty of ideas and themes that I no
Jenny
Feb 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
I love fairy stories in general, and I just loved this one! This was a nice, quick, fun read. It reminded me a bit of the Iron Fey series by Julie Kagawa. Very strange world within our own, and very interesting characters!
Mai is a Happy Bibliophile

I desperately want to like you, book.

But that's not how it always works.

Killer First Line: One day, my father walked into his Back bay apartment to find a blond woman asleep on his couch.

Selkie Stewart never knew her mother. She lives with her 2 eccentric aunts and it doesn't help that her father's admitted in an asylum. She wants answers and only her family and a mysterious boy from the Boston Commons named "Ben" can help her.

Sulky Selkie Has Mommy Problems. No birth records. Confusing b
Kayla
Jun 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was not a piece of amazing litreature, it was a trashy Ya book that I really enjoyed reading!
Tiya. (tarannum.xo)
Mar 05, 2016 rated it it was ok
DNF at 40%
For the first time ever, I regret not trusting the reviews.
Anna Kuhl
The constant explanatory repetition (I get it - time moves differently for faeries!) got on my nerves.

Other than that, it was a fast read so I must have enjoyed it somewhat.

Have the next books (#1.5 available free on Wattpad and #2) lined up so let's see what happens.
Elicia Cheah
Jun 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
You can also find this review at http://girlinthewoodsreviews.blogspot...

Detailed Review: I received a copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for my honest feedback

I am in a serious book hangover after reading this book. I really can't get over it. So I figured the best way to move on was to write a well-deserved review.

First, I must say that Skylar Dorset is an enchantress. The book was simply an enchantment but honestly, I loved it.

I first stumbled upon THE GIRL WHO NEVER WAS when I saw
Ashley
Nov 03, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Rating: 1/5
***Minor spoilers***

Selkie has never particularly abnormal. She has a bit of a weird family and she doesn't quite know exactly what happened with her parents, but she herself has always been okay. However, it isn't meant to be. She has lived a normal life, but only because everyone has been hiding the truth from her - that she's part faerie and part ogre. And that she's destined to destroy the Seelie court. And that her best friend has been a faerie the whole time. It's a lot to take
Kimberly (Book Swoon)
Oct 30, 2014 rated it really liked it

Reading The Girl Who Never Was at first, felt like I was sitting at the Mad Tea Party, trying to keep up with the fast pace and follow the somewhat dizzying dialogue. Yet, it remained fun and entertaining throughout in a madcap sort of way.

Selkie Stewart finds out on the day of her seventeenth birthday that she is not only a faerie princess, but also half ogre.  With the help of Ben, her secret crush and a faerie who has cast a protective enchantment over her to keep her safe, she goes in sear

Candice
Nov 20, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, ebooks
Rating: 3.5 stars

Read review on Tumblr | Buy on Book Depository
I didn’t want to write this review, honestly. I’m just so confused by this book. It’s going to be hard to put this into words, so bear with me. It is very fast-paced, to the point where I had some trouble keeping up with it. Getting from one plot point to another is like being in a time machine with a novice time traveller who lost the manual. The style of writing used was a little repetitive, but I suppose it was appropriate for th
All Things Urban Fantasy
Review courtesy All Things Urban Fantasy

Where to start? I’ve been staring at a blinking cursor for a few minutes now, trying to figure out how to put THE GIRL WHO NEVER WAS into some sort of coherent thought, but it’s not easy. It’s a pretty good parallel, now that I think about it, because that’s what I felt the entire time reading it.

The story is simple enough, young girl who thinks she’s normal but isn’t and slowly finds out that the world she thought she lived in isn’t the one she lives in a
Cali
Oct 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Katie Walton
Jul 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Girl Who Never Was had me so captivated I became the girl who couldn't look away! Seriously, I was sucked into this modern fairy tale so hard I craved the next sentence, the next paragraph, the next chapter and now I crave the next book!

Here's why I love this book:
1. The fairy tale princess is clever but not perfect. She's flawed and flaws are good.
2. The fairy tale is twisted but not mangled. Twisted fairy tales are like cotton candy you crave them because you love tearing them apart as
Jilly
Sep 07, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: faeries-fae, fantasy
This author loves Boston. I mean reallyreally loves Boston. There is a good part of this book that is about the history of Boston, streets in Boston, facts about Boston, and then a false history of Boston. So, if you are from Boston, or really want to learn about it, for some reason, this is your book. Unfortunately, that's not me. I felt a bit like my son when he was 10 years old and caught me trying to teach him during summer vacation - betrayed and a bit offended! "Mom, it's vacation! I don't ...more
Raquel (Rocki)
Oct 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: blog-review, e-book
There is now a longer review of this on My Blog.

It was a bit slow at the start but it soon turned into a whole mess of stuff. I do want to continue on to the second one and did notice that the next one is already out so yay no waiting there. This book will really make you think about a point of view. And how all points matter yet none matter and everything makes sense in a no non-sense kind of way. It really makes your brain hurt when they are talking about time in this book, and how they answ
Emma Adams
A totally unique and often surreal YA fantasy. Selkie – half-faerie, half-ogre – goes in search of her parentage with her crush (and faerie), Ben. The story is fun and imaginative, with a fast pace and plenty of action. It’s almost too much sometimes, with events following one another in a dizzying fashion leaving little room to breathe, and the narration sometimes felt a bit distant and made it hard to connect to Selkie.

But this tale is both simple and complex, original and often bizarre, with
Perla The IB Teen Book Blogger
Apr 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Just started and had to stop by and say how I am instantly in love with this book! The language and the writing style is just beautiful. So happy right now.

Update:
I am so in love with this book! I've huge passages highlighted on my ARC. Its beautifully written and readers will love Selkirk and all the cast (although if you threw me in a room with that super sexy goblin with the crown and the cape I would not complain!). Its often difficult for me to fall for a faerie novel- they are so petty and
Brooke ♥booklife4life♥
Short review:

Eh. The cover was more intriguing then the book. Nothing major happened and i was bored in the middle. The MC was a bit weird but well written. Supporting characters didn't bring much to the table. The plot was nice thou, but the author didn't explore it much. The last 30 pages or so weren't really necessary either. Overall, i wasn't impressed with this book, but when read book 2 just to see where it goes.

Full Review To Appeal On My Blog Later :]
Stuti (Turmeric isn't your friend. It will fly your ship
3? 3.5?

The first half was brilliant but then the book started to drag. Loved the ending and I hope because I love witnessing home-wreckings. Not terribly noteworthy protagonist and the love interest but I loved Kelsey, the Threader and the aunts. Extensive and redundant use of italics.

Full review later on.
Saoirse
Apr 04, 2014 rated it did not like it
Nope, DNF just by a couple of chapters in.
Maryam Dinzly
Feb 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
UGH i regretted selling away this book akfsdjkfsjkd i need a copy.
Oliviamcfarland
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was so good.
Jessica
Dec 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed, young-adult
I first saw this one sitting at the Sourcebooks booth at BEA and after seeing the pretty cover and finding out it involved the fae, I knew I was in. I love books about the fae and even more so when they incorporate the Seelie and Unseelie Courts. The two Courts are fascinating to me, so I was looking forward to seeing how Dorset would put her own spin on the lore. Despite my issues with this one, I did end up liking it overall and am interested in the sequel.

I wasn't wowed by this book. In fact
Alisha Tarran
Jun 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
I'm always on the look out for new books in the YA genre that are unique and stand out from the crowd, The Girl Who Never Was fits the bill, and the synopsis was intriguing, so I dived in excitedly.

Selkie was the kind of heroine that I love. She was tough, loyal, and she just got tougher as the books went on. I love heroine's who are stronger than everyone gives them credit for and totally badass, I loved her.

The romance was the perfect kind, so sweet you may just get a cavity. Their feelings
Stephanie
May 31, 2014 rated it liked it
For the most part I felt this book toed the line between being cleverly amusing and a hot mess. I think it depends on the author’s intent.

The story is told in Selkie’s 1st person POV. Selkie has recently discovered she’s half ogre, half faerie royalty, and 100% confused. As Selkie’s aunts, protector, and wizard extraordinaire try to explain her life and the differences between Thisworld and Otherworld, Selkie’s head is spinning. Nothing makes sense. Is her whole life an enchanted false reality?
Zareena (The Slanted Bookshelf)
My Rating: 3.5 stars

Review originally posted on The Slanted Bookshelf

Selkie doesn’t live a conventional life. She has no idea who her mother is, her father is in a psychiatric ward, and she lives with her two aunts who refuse to answer Seklie’s questions about her mother. Then her seventeenth birthday comes around and she starts to get some answers to all her questions and finds out she is half faerie, half ogre, and she’s part of a prophecy to bring down the Seelie and Unseelie courts.

I mostly
Farrah
May 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Lovely, enchanting The Girl Who Never Was was a wonderful YA read. I really liked this book. From the sweet romance, to the thrills and all those buried secrets, this book was great.

Selkie was a good heroine. She was tougher than those who were protecting her gave her credit for and she was unfailingly loyal to the people she cared about. And, she definitely became stronger over the course of the book. Overall, I liked her.

Ben was a total sweetie. Strong, clever, and completely devoted to keepin

• Storm (Salt, #2)
  • The Machine God (The Drifting Isle Chronicles #3)
  • Transcender: First-Timer (Transcender, #1)
  • Feed
  • Played (Hooked, #2)
  • The Last Changeling (The Last Changeling, #1)
  • Dream Boy
  • Synthetic: Dark Beginning
  • Vrin: Ten Mortal Gods
  • Prophecy of Oz (Prophecy of Oz, #1)
  • Boy vs. Girl
  • The Plantation (The Plantation, #1)
  • Oceanborn (The Aquarathi, #2)
  • Freaks of Greenfield High (Freaks, #1)
  • Between
  • Chasing Power
  • The Locksmith (Mindjack Origins, #5)
  • Soul Seeker (The World of Lasniniar, #1)
Skylar’s first story was a tale of romantic intrigue involving two feuding factions of squirrels. Think “Romeo & Juliet” but with bushy tails and added espionage. She was seven.

Since that time, Skylar’s head has been filled with lots of characters and lots of drama. She is delighted to be able to share some of it with all of you now, because, honestly, it was getting pretty loud and crowded in

Otherworld (2 books)
  • The Boy with the Hidden Name (Otherworld, #2)
“Benedict Le Fay will betray you. And then he will die.” 1 likes