Start by marking “Adversaries into Allies: Win People Over Without Manipulation or Coercion” as Want to Read:
Adversaries into Allies: Win People Over Without Manipulation or Coercion

Adversaries into Allies: Win People Over Without Manipulation or Coercion

The sages asked, “Who is mighty?” and answered, “That person who can control their own emotions and make, of an enemy, a friend.”

In the bestselling book The Go-Giver, Bob Burg and John David Mann revolutionized the way we think about success via one very simple lesson: “Shifting one’s focus from getting to giving (constantly and consistently providing value to others)
Published October 31st 2013 by Portfolio (first published October 17th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Adversaries into Allies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Adversaries into Allies

Start your review of Adversaries into Allies: Win People Over Without Manipulation or Coercion
Frank Calberg
Sep 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Takeaways from reading the book:

Concrete actions to take when you are being verbally attacked:
- Pages 34-50: When you are being verbally attacked, remain calm and be in control of your feelings. Keep in mind that nobody can make you angry. You must give them permission to do so. Try to take a deep breath and simply listen to the person attacking you. When he or she pauses, then think, apologize and ask what you have done wrong. Show understanding, put yourself in "the shoes of the other person"
Doug
Oct 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It's not often that I write a review before I finish a book.

I'm making an exception, here.

Adversaries into Allies is not Bob Burg's first book and history will tell us if it is his most celebrated. While much of the content, on the surface, may seem obvious and "good manners 101" I caught myself reflecting on many instances where I could be giving 1% more effort to my communication and realizing 110% benefit.

Bob is one of the few thought leaders who clearly walks the walk on a daily basis and yo
Jim Brown
Oct 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business-general
Disclaimer: I have read all of Bob Burg's books and articles and love everyone of them. So when he published his latest book, I considered it a must read. So having said that....

This really is a must read! For whom? At first you might think this is a book for people in sales but in reality it is for anyone who wants to improve their personal relationships whether that be with a spouse, child, friend, neighbor, customer, employer, you name it.

This is really a book that lays out how you should th
Marty Wolff
Dec 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Bob Burg is so well read and he has so many experiences, it makes this book so special that I believe Bob is in the big leagues with Robert Cialdini, Dan Pink and others in the world of influence. All executives should read this book and share it with all department heads. Then VP of Sales and Sales Managers should read and share with the sales and marketing teams. This book is a blueprint for personal and professional success in a sometimes short-sighted world.
Donna
Sep 20, 2014 rated it liked it
This wasn't what I expected. It was a pragmatic look at commonsense and good manners. It gave clear and practical applications for anyone who wasn't taught such things in their youth. It could also be a refresher course for those who may have forgotten those things or who need help with their verbal skills. Overall, I guess it was a good reminder.
Rafiq Vpn
Oct 31, 2017 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
رائع لي القراءة والتطبيق يتمحور حول 5 مبادئ ستمنحك قوة وتفكير عميق في تواصل خصوم
Christie
Nov 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A powerful book that gives you great techniques on how to best understand the art of negotiation from a strategy not often taught. I HIGHLY recommend it
Elizabeth Jennings
Jun 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Basic good communication advice from someone who really knows what he is talking about. The book had a good balance of stories and direct how-to explanation (even if his jokes are cheesy). What I found most helpful is his sampling of phrases to try in difficult conversations, such as "I'm not comfortable with doing __, but thank you for offering and for thinking of me."
Mindy
Apr 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Most, if not all of the things Burg presents in the book are things you've heard, read, or maybe even done before. Still, it was good to have them collected and presented together, along with practical application and examples.
Luke
Sep 24, 2017 rated it liked it
There's nothing in this book that you won't already know, but it's good to read this kind of thing every once in a while just as a reminder.
Winslow Morrell
Oct 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There were a lot of things that I feel like I have already read in other books. It was still enjoyable and there is some great material in the book.
Charmin
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: growth
Highlights:
1. Influencers send a letter to his or her boss. This should be usually typed rather than handwritten.
Edify – you build them up in the minds of other people.

2. Talk about immediately communicating value to another person’s life.
Influence happens through focusing on the needs, wants, and desires to others.

3. Your goal is to always live in the solution. Acknowledge the problem but focus on the solution.

4. Tact and empathy. Communicate consideration for the other person’s feeling.

Chris
Jul 05, 2015 added it
Recommends it for: Anyone looking to improve their people skills
Adversaries into Allies is not so much about forcing people to your way of thinking and doing but more about learning to understand people better and to get them to want to work with you. The challenge with education is that it ignores the crucial skills that people need - People & Communication Skills. The most undervalued degree out there is psychology, yet it is the only degree where you learn about human behavior and why people act the way they do. Anyone with that degree should be paid more ...more
Mollie Marti
Nov 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Anyone who knows Bob Burg knows that he is a master at edifying others -- as in he practices and seeks to live it, day in and day out. I've read his new book cover to cover, and will continue to frequently use it as a resource!

Adversaries into Allies is wisdom wrapped in warmth. Reading it feels like sitting down with a dear mentor. You walk away reconnected to what's most important, equipped with the ability to get what you want in a way that expands others.

Bob is a friend. If you know my work
Nazrul Buang
Nov 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Just finished reading "Adversaries into Allies: Win People Over Without Manipulation or Coercion" (2013) by Bob Burg. I decided to pick up this book after coming across its high ratings on several sites, including Goodreads, just to learn more about the contents.

Bob Burg belongs to the same mold as Dr. Stephen Covey, Dale Carnegie, Zig Ziglar, John Maxwell and other motivational speakers/writers. All of them have the same motif in their books: how to be influential to other people in a positive
Ken Montville
Dec 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people who like personal development and leadership books
I really like the easy readability of Bob Burg's books and this one is no exception. Unlike the "Go-Giver" books he has co-authored with John David Mann, this book is more a more typical "non-fable" book.

The book explains easy-to-follow and seemingly simple steps to becoming a person of influence with a gift for being able to persuade even your most ardent adversary. As with the other books I've read by Bob Burg, the advise and guidance in this book is principle centered. There is no Machiavelli
Mickey Baines
Dec 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
I felt as though the author was "preaching to the choir," during most of the book because I believe in the points he made wholeheartedly. Most of his ideas and suggestions, though, are so much easier for someone who, by nature, has much empathy for others. If that isn't you, then I am not sure how well you will find the book, or how easily it will be for you to adopt this method/approach.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't read the book. The concepts are effective and using allies always leads to mo
P.J. LaRue
Dec 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I liked this book. It gave great advice on how to soften one's approach when dealing with other people. It taught that the way one presents ideas can lead to the other person accepting or rejecting the idea based only on the approach rather than the message. So if one wants a message heard, one must understand how to present it.
Bill Buckingham
Sep 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book with an incredible amount of practical wisdom. Have started putting concepts into practice and have noticed considerable change in my thoughts and behavior. Highly recommended read for those who desire to work on their self-discipline and interpersonal skills.
Bethany
Nov 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Love, love, love this book! This is one will continue to read again and again. Practical tools for everyday human interactions. Thank you Bob for sharing your best practices to set us up for success in leadership and in life!
Erin Miller
Nov 24, 2013 rated it liked it
I'm not really sure how to rate a self-help book (if that's what this is.) I liked it a lot and I thought there was some valuable information; it gave me a lot of things to think about. Easy read - can't hurt anyone to take a look at it.
Tracy
Jan 08, 2017 rated it liked it
I think sales people are the primary audience for this book. I think people who don't sell things can benefit from reading it, too.
Maryann Washington
Oct 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Another fabulous book from Bob Burg! Very practical advice and tools to becoming not only an Ultimate Influencer, but a genuinely nice person!
Nikunj
Apr 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Who wants adversaries ? Change them to Allies..
L
Sep 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Solid advice for changing your perspective and mindset around conversations. A worthwhile read!
Mike
Feb 03, 2014
Chris
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: work
This is one of the best books I have ever read. It's really about how to be a decent human being and I will be re-reading it for years to come. I can't recommend a book more than this one.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway
  • علاقات خطرة
  • The Talent Code: Unlocking the Secret of Skill in Sports, Art, Music, Math, and Just About Everything Else
  • They Don't Teach Corporate in College: A Twenty-Something's Guide to the Business World
  • الأسرار الكاملة للثقة التامة بالنفس
  • Winning with People
  • Do Less: The Unexpected Strategy for Women to Get More of What They Want in Work and Life
  • Nasty Women
  • تجاوز مخاوفك وتحرر أخيرا
  • The Business of the 21st Century
  • It Takes What It Takes: How to Think Neutrally and Gain Control of Your Life
  • Limitless: Core Techniques to Improve Performance, Productivity, and Focus
  • The Power of Failure: 27 Ways to Turn Life's Setbacks Into Success
  • The Slight Edge
  • I'm Not Crazy, I'm Just Not You: The Real Meaning of the Sixteen Personality Types
  • Digital Minimalism: Choosing a Focused Life in a Noisy World
  • سبع شخصيات تسمم حياتكم
  • In the Flo: Unlock Your Hormonal Advantage and Revolutionize Your Life
Bob Burg shares information on topics vital to the success of today’s businessperson. He speaks for corporations and associations internationally, including fortune 500 companies, franchises, and numerous direct sales organizations.

Bob is an advocate, supporter and defender of the Free Enterprise system, believing that the amount of money one makes is directly proportional to how many people they