Start by marking “The Hen Who Dreamed She Could Fly” as Want to Read:

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  11,020 ratings  ·  2,007 reviews
A Korean Charlotte's Web

More than 2 million copies sold

An anthem fo
Published November 26th 2013 by Penguin Books (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Hen Who Dreamed She Could Fly, please sign up.
Rhonda I agree about reading it yourself. You don't say what age your daughter is and that is important. Its a lovely book and I would certainly recommend it…moreI agree about reading it yourself. You don't say what age your daughter is and that is important. Its a lovely book and I would certainly recommend it to my daughters when they were younger - and you as her parent will be able to pick up whether its suitably challenging or not for your daughter, which I assume the ratings are about?(less)

·  11,020 ratings  ·  2,007 reviews

Start your review of The Hen Who Dreamed She Could Fly
Julie
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Isn't it weird, how a book will sometimes speak to you from a book store or library, call your attention to it and demand that you take it home?

That's what happened with me and this skinny novel last week. I saw it in a book store, pictured the unread books in stacks next to my bed, and ignored it. But as I walked on by, the little hen on the cover called out my name.

I knew nothing about this book, other than it was translated into English from Korean lit. As I started it, I realized the pull wa
Cecily
description
Image source: https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3917/1...

A strange little book I picked up by mistake. A pleasant enough mistake, though.

It’s a Korean fable about dreams, identity/difference, courage, and what makes a mother. It may not be startlingly original or uniquely profound, but that’s part of its charm.

It could easily be a children’s book, though the beautiful, simple illustrations are perhaps too few for younger children.

Sprout is an aging hen in a coop, who longs to hatch an egg.

She esca
Richard Derus
Nov 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Rating: 3* of five

The Publisher Says: This is the story of a hen named Sprout. No longer content to lay eggs on command, only to have them carted off to the market, she glimpses her future every morning through the barn doors, where the other animals roam free, and comes up with a plan to escape into the wild—and to hatch an egg of her own.

An anthem for freedom, individuality and motherhood featuring a plucky, spirited heroine who rebels against the tradition-bound world of the barnyard, The Hen
Zanna
Nov 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: veg*ns, feminists
The Hen Who Dreamed She Could Fly is about freedom and the interconnectedness of life, demonstrating that rather than a freedom of ONE liberation involves autonomous participation in a community of living beings

The protagonist, a caged laying hen, has already committed her first act of rebellion at the opening of the story: she has carefully and lovingly observed an acacia tree through an unintentional gap in her enclosure and concluded that the SPROUT is the key to the cycle of life that the tr
Reading_ Tam_ Ishly
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I just couldn't put down this book!!!
Sad, fast paced yet inspiring!
***One of the best reads***

*Themes tackled in the plot:
Loss of child, grievance, adoption, survival

Beautifully crafted. Mesmerized. It kept me on the edge the entire time!
Amanda
Aug 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a much beloved story from South Korea about an egg-laying hen named Sprout. Sprout dreams of nothing more than to roam free and be able to hatch an egg and care for a chick of her own. This allegory is often compared to Charlotte's Web. With a cast of memorable talking animals and themes including friendship, longing, unconditional love, and self-sacrifice, this delightful tale is worth the hour or two invested.
Helene Jeppesen
Jun 05, 2015 rated it liked it
This was a really cute story told from a hen's perspective. It's a story that deals with animals, but it's really about aspects of life that are really important and relevant; such as motherhood, bullying and protectiveness.
This book definitely provided me with a different reading experience since I was inside a hen's head. It was refreshing to read from this point of view, and I especially liked how I could still very much identify with this hen. Even though the story is about important topics
Christine

One wonders if Aesop knew how much of good thing he had when he wrote his fables, that years and years later, that the idea of animal characters being used as allegory would still be current. Today, most people think of Animal Farm when discussing allegories using animals, but perhaps in later years it will be Animal Farm and the hen Sprout, the heroine of this charming and deeply moving tale.

While no doubt highly influenced by Korean culture, Sien-Ma Hwang’s story also draws on Western classi
Paul
Sep 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Not the sort of thing I usually read, this is a parable/fable which can easily be read by adults or children with line drawings between each chapter. It is the story of a battery hen who has named herself Sprout who dreams of being free and being able to actually hatch an egg of her own. She looks out of her cage enviously at the animals who are free in the farmyard. Events combine so that Sprout does escape. She is not accepted in the hierarchical world of the farmyard because of where
Diane S ☔
Sep 05, 2013 rated it liked it
3.5 South Korean novelette that can be read as a morality tale, a fable, or a metaphor. I just know that I absolutely adore Sprout, she is one plucky chicken that goes against the established routines at the farm to fulfill her desires. Of course she has quite a bit of luck and quite a few trials. It is a wonderful story about a mother's unconditional love. Setting what you love free and doing what you think is in the child's best interest, above your own wants and desires.

Wonderful little stor
Amber
Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
"Just because you’re the same kind doesn’t mean you’re all one happy family. The important thing is to understand each
other. That’s love!"

A wonderful captivating allegory of life, love, sacrifice, courage, dreams and relationships. Simply love! ♥️
adrianna
Mar 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I didn't expect much from that book when I first picked it up, but it turned out to be such an important read. It is about one brave hen, a very brave one, who decides to make a big change in her life in order to fulfill her dream. It is safe to say that Sprout (that's the hen's name) is a true heroine.
This book is about motherhood, friendship, and love. It is about disappointments. And it is about being different. But above all, it is about courage and dedication.
Lori
Oct 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I was a very lucky goodreads first reads winner of this sweet book. "The Hen Who Dreamed She Could Fly" by Sun-Mi Hwang. This book is from Korea and has sold over two million copies. It is getting ready to come to other countries. I can see why this sold so many copies. it is a very sweet story about a hen named Sprout. she lived on a farm and was used to lay eggs. After laying her last egg forthe farmers she was doomed to be sent off to her death. she survives and manages to escape. her only wi ...more
Bibliovoracious
Jan 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Lovely little parable. Sprout is an adorable heroine, an everychicken with a universal story.
Shubhi Nigam
Everything about this book is beautiful - the story, the message it conveyed, the ending!
Vishy
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
'The Hen Who Dreamed She Could Fly' by Sun-Mi Hwang was highly recommended to me by two of my friends. I borrowed it from one of them and read it in one breath today.

Sprout is a hen who lives in a farm. She is reared for the eggs she lays. Her dream is to get out of the enclosure she is in, go and walk around the yard outside, lay eggs and watch chicks hatch out of them, and bring up her little ones. But the humans who keep her, take away her eggs, as soon as she lays them. One day she stops la
Sookie
Oct 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommended to Sookie by: Muhammad Ahmed Siddiqui
Shelves: novella, translated
Sprout, the hen that wishes to raise its own egg for a change, is a champion for freedom, dreams and hopes. She chooses the name "Sprout" for herself because it represents growth, change and the tiny spark that grows a huge tree. She is incessantly hopeful about raising her own chick someday. She dreams of going outside the coop and the cage and live freely under the acacia tree.

Through Sprout the author explores the everyday struggles that many of us face. Be it loneliness, alienation among ou
alheyam
Dec 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved it, being different, looking for freedom, dreaming for what you want and fighting to achieve them. It is a motivated and a gorgeous story ever.
Jason
Oct 31, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arcs, netgalley
NETGALLEY

Laced with a heavy emphasis on themes such as family, transition, adulthood, and death, this novel traces the life of a hen, her offspring, and the various life transitions speckled in between. This simple tale recalls previous works, including charlotte's Web, Love You Forever, as well as echos of primary themes often seen and explored in Haruki Murakami's work.

The downside of this novel is that it is overly literal in the way it explores these themes. Compared to the works listed ab
Patricia
Feb 17, 2014 rated it did not like it
This heavy-handed allegory about motherhood, freedom, acceptance and death was far too blatant and dogmatic for my tastes, notwithstanding the fact that it is a "#1 International Bestseller."
Claire
Aug 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
I adore stories that are fable-like without being moralistic. This is a truly delightful tale of a hen with a dream who defies the odds and lives it. She is a metaphor of the underdog and dares to confront the impossible. She is no hero except in the eyes of the reader who recognises her challenges and admires her audacity.

Her name is Sprout.

Tired of laying an egg a day only to watch it roll away down the slope of the enclosure she is caged within, she decides to stop laying and comes up with
Lydia
Mar 06, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
This was a charming little fable about a hen called Sprout, who just wants to escape her cage and hatch an egg of her own.

It follows themes of identity, motherhood, love, freedom, names, life, death, and nature. It could also be read as a reflection of human society and our systems of oppression. That makes it all sound quite serious and dull, but it's not. It's just charming. The characters are wonderful little creations and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.

It's one to be read in one sitting if
Salam Ch
"Just because you're the same kind doesn't mean you're all one happy family. The important thing is to understand each other. That's love!"

key words: unconditional love, courage, sacrifice .....yes it s motherhood !!!

you feel your heart is melting with love as you read from the first page to the last one ! <3
BookishDubai
Short, sweet and simple. A book for when you're sick and tired of human beings.
Abbie | ab_reads
Mar 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Hen Who Dreamed She Could Fly is super sweet and super sad, translated from Korean by Chi-Young Kim. We meet Sprout, a plucky egg-laying chicken at the end of her egg-laying days. Normally this would spell out the end, but Sprout defies everything (including murderous weasels and discriminatory barn animals) and continues to thrive on her own. All her life she’s dreamed of hatching her own egg, and though this seems unlikelier than ever now, she’s determined not to give up.
Though short, it’
Melanie (Mel's Bookland Adventures)
Books that are called charming never ever work for me.
Dhanaraj Rajan
The Opening Lines:

This book was an accidental choice. The other day, when I was browsing through the books in the usual bookstore, I came across this book. Two things attracted me immediately: The Title and the Biographical information about the Author (A Korean). The World Literature being my passion, I naturally fell for it for it is the first book by a Korean that I came across in translation. Was it worth the try?

The Story:

I choose the World Literature to get into a different landscape, so
Zöe Yü
Mar 15, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: korean
This book got great reviews. I brought it because people were comparing this fable to Animal Farm. In the beginning, it feels really like Animal Farm, one could hear echoes at the bottom of one's heart saying the same thing. Reality in the human world seems exactly the same as to lay an egg in a hen's perspective.

"If I can't lay an egg, what's the point of my life?"
"Life wouldn't be so lonely and tedious if she had just behaved like every other hen."

However, when the story hits the climax, it a
Margaret
Jul 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
A hen looks out from her coop, where her eggs are taken from her every day against her will, and admires the beauty of an acacia tree. It's from this acacia tree she takes her name--Sprout--and eventually her courage leads her away from her coop and into the dangers of outside.

The Hen Who Dreamed She Could Fly is a fable about pursing your dreams despite hardship, to dream no matter what. It's simple and lovely, as are the illustrations. While I typically am not one for fables, this one has a l
Hafizz Nasri
Apr 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Never knew that I would enjoy reading a story about a hen's life adventure. It was fascinating, super adventure, heart-wrenching and beautiful.

A friendship story, love of a mother, and how a family should be. Lovely.

• حارس سطح العالم
  • I Have the Right to Destroy Myself
  • Os Livros Que Devoraram o Meu Pai
  • 世界から猫が消えたなら
  • Bhaunri: A Novel
  • Mendel el de los libros
  • Les délices de Tokyo
  • Vamos Comprar Um Poeta
  • Daddy-Long-Legs (Daddy-Long-Legs, #1)
  • ليطمئن قلبي
  • Non dirmi che hai paura
  • Day One: Before Hiroshima and After
  • ‫جوستين‬
  • ناقة صالحة
Hwang Sun-mi (born 1963) is a South Korean author and professor who is best known for her fable The Hen Who Dreamed She Could Fly, which has also been made into a successful animated film in South Korea, Leafie, A Hen into the Wild.
She was Born in 1963, Hwang was unable to attend middle school due to poverty, but thanks to a teacher who gave her a key to a classroom, she could go to the school and