Start by marking “The Psychopath Inside: A Neuroscientist's Personal Journey into the Dark Side of the Brain” as Want to Read:

“The last scan in the pile was strikingly odd. In fact it looked exactly like the most abnormal of the scans I had just been writing about, suggesting that the poor individual it belonged to was a psychopath—or at least shared an uncomfortable amount of traits with one....When I found out who the scan belonged to, I had to believe there was a mistake....But there had been ...more
Published October 31st 2013 by Penguin Group USA

To ask other readers questions about The Psychopath Inside, please sign up.
Blake Stevenson It could be true. You could argue on a lot of things judging the book. It's a good book. I'm no psychopath and I don't necessarily need to relate to…moreIt could be true. You could argue on a lot of things judging the book. It's a good book. I'm no psychopath and I don't necessarily need to relate to understand the perspective. People will find this book self-indulgent and it's probably more by the way people seem to view psychopaths.

It depends on how much you understand psychopathy and it's condition. Like "He thinks he's never harmed anyone although he admits doing things that hurt other people." This is a misconception. Psychopaths aren't wired to feel empathy towards other people. People will call this fluke and inhuman, but it's true. And he also admitted he has narcissistic characteristics which kind of gives you the idea of the whole "self-indulgent" thing.

I personally liked this book. It gives you a clearer view of pro-social psychopaths who live among us, and aren't necessarily the serial killers and marauders everyone considers them. If you still want more in this I'd suggest you read some of Kevin Dutton's books.

And people still don't believe that such people exist. It's funny with the amount of denial and ignorance people pull through. I couldn't care less although I am no primary psychopath. I do exhibit some characteristics and I believe I lie somewhere on the spectrum. Regardless, reviewers will keep talking. Maybe they are right. Who cares? Read yourself and find out.

Worthwhile to read? Yes. :) (less)

Claudia Putnam
This guy is a complete jerk, as you might imagine from the title. As a narcissist, he not only doesn't mind this, he kind of likes the idea that he's an asshole. Once you get past that, he does happen to know a few things about brain science and about genetics. For the most part, he explains them quite well. He also knows a bit about mental illness, neurotransmitters, and how psychotropic medications refine communication within the brain. You often hear that we have no idea what causes mental il ...more
Pamela D
Oct 27, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: reviewed, nonfiction
I received this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

This is the first review copy that I considered not reviewing in a very long time. I kept going back and forth about what I was going to do. In the end, I decided to review it, because I figured maybe someone might want to read it for all of the reasons that I did not like it. This sounds very ominous, huh? Let me explain. In the "real world," I am a graduate student studying clinical psychology. All I have left to do is to
David
Nov 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
James Fallon is a neuroscientist, a professor of psychiatry at the School of Medicine at University of California, Irvine. He is an active researcher in brain structure. He discovered telltale attributes of brain scans (PET, fMRI) that indicate that a person is a psychopath.

So, it was with shock and some degree of disbelief, when he found that his own brain scan showed that he, himself is a psychopath! And then, additional evidence came in that he is a psychopath. First, a relative did a genealo
Kitty
Dec 10, 2013 rated it did not like it
This book should be called "Me, Myself & I"
Beth
Sep 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, especially the science. I skimmed through some reviews and saw many people didn't like the book because they thought the author was full of himself and down plays the wrong he has done and the hurt he has caused others. Of course he is and has. If truly a psychopath (even lite or pro-social as he says) he literally cannot fathom empathy or emote it genuinely. What he says in the book aligns with much of what I've read about sociopathy and psychopathy, but he delve ...more
Mia
Oct 07, 2015 rated it did not like it
The title should be "The Narcissist's Personal Journey into Cashing in on His Own Self-Indulgence". While maintaining that he has insight into his grandiose and self-centered thought patterns, the author has failed to recognize the degree to which he comes across as a boorish ass. He should have hired an editor to save him from himself---or (heaven forbid) maybe he did do that and the original draft was even worse.

Some of the genetic information discussed borders on interesting, but it is prese
Wanda
Dec 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Publisher says:

The Psychopath Inside tells the fascinating story of Fallon’s reaction to the discovery that he has the brain of a psychopath. While researching serial murderers, he uncovered a distinct neurological pattern in their brain scans that helped explain their cold and violent behavior. A few months later he learned that he was descended from a family with a long line of murderers which confirmed that Fallon’s own brain pattern wasn’t a fluke.
As a scientist convinced that humans are sha
Jeff Raymond
The strange thing about getting multiple books about psychopathy in from the library is how quickly you get to see the differences in the styles of the books. Having read the M. E. Thomas one a few weeks back, reading a more clinical take was an interesting endeavor.

The hook with this book is how Fallon, while investigating other brain issues for things like Alzheimer's and such, inadvertently learned that his brain scan matched many society would consider to be psychopathic. This brought him fu
Nancy
Jan 14, 2014 rated it did not like it
This could be a great book club read except that some of the members might buy the book which just seems wrong. Fallon pretty much spends a whole book telling us what a jerk he is. Buying the book rewards him for that. Stealing the book hurts the bookstores, not Fallon. Maybe take a copy out of the library. As a libertarian who believes it is just fine to let people starve, Fallon can't possibly approve of spending tax money on library books.

In any case, do not read this book alone. If you don't
Lupita Reads
Oct 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
"Good grief, Mrs. O'Leary, other than that, how's your cow?"

Seriously this book was a wild intellectual ride for me. After reading it, I just had to read the acknowledgements and as listed there; there is truly a specific audience for this read. I really enjoyed the science aspects of the book. Fallon is very talented in explaining scientific theories etc, however like every great scientist can get carried away and can get you a lost. My advice, stick with the book anyways, it is truly interesti
Becca
Oct 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Overall - very interesting. For those that say this was a narcissist's memoir, I just have to say that it was a book about him, and his brain... so what were you expecting?

Allison
Oct 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book in short is not only phenomenal in its creation but draws conclusions about human nature that could revolutionize how we parent and teach our children. Every paragraph speaks to some condition in today's environment that could easily explain the host of flaws many of us see in the 'casual' parent. Its only flaw lies in the title. Granted it is entirely about one man's search for self-awareness after learning that his brain scan mirrored a 'psychopath's'. But the layman's approach to ex ...more
Jafar
Aug 22, 2014 rated it liked it
A neuroscientist finds out accidentally that his brain scan resembles those of murderous psychopaths. He’s shocked. After all, he’s a renowned scientist with wife and children and many friends and colleagues, not a murderer. He wonders what this means. He reads the literature on psychopathy, digs into his past, talks to his family and friends, and it turns out that he’s actually quite an asshole. Not all psychopaths are violent criminals. Most are “prosocial” non-violent types who lie and manipu ...more
Diana
Feb 07, 2014 rated it liked it
This is a fascinating book. Some of the scientific jargon and details about the brain I could have done without, and I would have liked more specific details from the author's life about how some of his psychopathic behaviors have affected him and others close to him. He's not the best writer. However, it was still good and worth reading, especially if you're interested in psychopathy and the nature vs. nurture thing. Fresh insights, etc.

And I have to give this book credit for really getting me
Moriartyandherbooks
Pretty interesting. I puts tabs on quite a few pages, as I felt I was learning some pretty fascinating things. The author sounds like an annoying, narcissistic person to be honest, but I don't think he'd disagree with that. Overall, an educational read, but nothing all that memorable for me.
Susan
Nov 07, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Though I forced myself to finish this, it was agony. This guy's narcissism, evident on every page, was insufferable. As a tour of a "pro social" psychopath's brain and mind (I'd guess he has plenty more personality disorders in the mix), I couldn't wait for the journey to end. As he says, he does not care one whit for other people's feelings, and his every behavior is motivated by some perceived benefit he derives. Here's an example: as a Libertarian he felt compelled in the 1990's to refuse fed ...more
Erin
Oct 28, 2013 rated it liked it
I was so intrigued by the premise of this book, but overall, I never really got attached to the story. It's pretty apparent that this man is a scientist and not a writer. He may be brilliant, but he doesn't know how to capture the reader. There were just too many examples of him saying he'd done bad things without ever elaborating on what they were.
Jayaprakash Satyamurthy
Most of the really good stuff here could be got from any general psychiatry text. What remains is engaging, self-absorbed and self-serving waffle.
ElphaReads
This book is pretty fascinating. It definitely is more of a memoir than a general narrative on psychopathy, though it does have a lot of scientific moments in it. I think that if it had found a way to meet in the middle of being too personal and too dry I would have probably liked it more. At times it was uncomfortable in some ways just because Fallon fully admits to having very little empathy for others, and can be kind of flippant about it and the suffering of others.

But at the same time, for
Loryn Kelley
Aug 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Despite popular opinion, I enjoyed The Psychopath Inside: A Nueroscientist's Personal Journey into the Dark Side of the Brain. Working in the field of addiction, the topic tickled my fancy. As others have mentioned, the book focused on the author - it's a memoir. Love it or hate it, the book is written in the author's psychopathic perspective. Personally, I thought his personality added something special. After all, it's about diving into a psychopath's brain.

To me, the book read like an entert
Niffer
Sep 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
I received this book for free through a Goodreads First Reads giveaway.

This book is probably closer to 3.5, or maybe even 3.25, stars. But I just reviewed a couple of books that I really didn't like so I'm being generous on this one.

Overall this book had a lot of really interesting information in it. The author is obviously very knowledgeable about the subject.

I did wonder a lot about the intended audience for this book. A fair bit of the book is incredibly technical--I think to make it "readabl
Ellen
May 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This neurologist studies the brains of psychopaths, and it turns out that he has the same type of brain - low on empathy and high on aggression. However, unlike many criminal psychopaths, he was raised by a very loving family. The fact that he is actually a productive member of society - well, with a few pretty serious quirks - is an encouraging testament to the power of nurture over nature. It was also interesting to follow the story of his increasing awareness of the impact of his personality ...more
Raechel
Dec 12, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2013
I trudged through the book, mainly because I wanted to finish it. I didn't really care for it as I felt like the author was full of himself. Makes sense since he is a "prosocial psychopath" but still...glad it is over. Learned some interesting stuff, however. He is on top of his game as a neuroscientist.
Ömer
Jan 22, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
James Fallon bir nörolog ve kitabını olabilecek en bilimsel dilde yazmış :D O yüzden herkese hitap eden bir kitap değil bence. Konu oldukça ilginçti, tıbbi zımbırtılardan arındırılsa çok keyifli bir okuma olabilirdi.
Gamze
Sarmadı. Belki daha sonra..
LeeAnne
James Fallon is a neuroscientist. While studying brain scans for research on Alzheimer's, he discovered he has the brain scan of a psychopath. Next, he discovers his family tree is full of psychopathic murderers. Lizzie Borden is one of his cousins. This part is really fascinating.

The author admits he is a narcissistic womanizer (but he has never hit his wife) and he is a psychopathic liar who lacks empathy. He provides plenty of anecdotes from his life to prove his point. He describes in great
Reilly
It is difficult to rate this book on its own, without corrupting it with your rating of the author as a human being. He's an untrustworthy, morally empty, narcissistic, manipulative jerk (I don't feel bad saying this for two reasons: 1) he admits as much himself, over and over; and 2) he wouldn't care anyway). That being said, I can only give it two stars.

Fallon goes fairly in-depth neurologically into what makes a psychopath, but he does so out of touch with the lay reader. My background in the
Natalia
Oct 26, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It seems like some people went on twitter as complaining assholes and then came out as “astute” writers. Suddenly, he become the hero of his self centered story where he transcended and matured into a prosocial psychopath. By the way, adding the words pro and social to the tag does not lessen the fact that you are still a psychopath.
I was really excited about this book, however I got disappointed fast. This book is 10% science and maybe of those only 4% science by the author and 90% bragging ab
Sarah Hussain
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
Two things, this reads like a bad YA where the protagonist keeps talking about how great he is meanwhile also mentioning how he's not bragging.
First and foremost it's a bad read. A few pages in and I was utterly disappointed. As for someone who, as he himself mentions, has been in the field of Neuroscience and psychiatry for almost four decades, should know that self diagnosis is a big no no.
There's nothing to learn this book or any insights gained. It's a clickbait of books. Catchy title, nothi
Erica
Mar 04, 2018 added it
Shelves: memoirs
This is the story of a man who found out at a late age that his brain scan shows strong signs of psychopathy. The book gives a lot of brain science as well as reflection over his life and behavior. I'm not giving a rating due to the author's section on what was labeled his most psychopathic trait, his penchant for revenge.
2017 Reading Chal...: The Psychopath Inside 3 25 Jan 29, 2015 03:59PM
  • The Mask of Sanity
  • The Tell: The Little Clues That Reveal Big Truths about Who We Are
  • For Women Only: A Novel Approach to Depression in Women
  • I Wish I Were Engulfed in Flames: My Insane Life Raising Two Boys with Autism
  • Practical Botany for Gardeners: Over 3,000 Botanical Terms Explained and Explored
  • Coming Ashore: A Memoir
  • Bullies...They're in Your Office, Too: Could You Be One?
  • The End of Plagues: The Global Battle Against Infectious Disease
  • Being Sober: A Step-by-Step Guide to Getting To, Getting Through, and Living in Recovery
  • Borderline Personality Disorder: A Guide for the Newly Diagnosed
  • Touching a Nerve: Our Brains, Our Selves
  • Ink In The Blood: A Hospital Diary
  • Medical Billing Horror Stories
“People with autism lack theory of mind but not empathy, while people with psychopathy lack empathy but not theory of mind. Without empathy you can still have sympathy, though—the ability to retrieve emotional memories, including those that can predict what painful event is probably about to befall another person, and the will to help that person.” 2 likes
“Despite the controversy over whether psychopaths exist, psychiatrists generally agree that one of the defining characteristics of those we refer to as psychopaths is the lack of interpersonal empathy, what one might call a flat emotional playing field. Psychopaths may not hate, but they also may not love the way most of us would prefer to love and be loved. Psychopaths are usually manipulative, are champion liars, and can be quite glib and disarmingly charming. They don’t fear consequences the way most people do, and while they may react to the stress of being caught in a lie or violent act like anyone would, some remain cool as cucumbers. Even the most dangerous can appear jovial, carefree, and social at times, but sooner or later they will display a telling distance, a quiet coldheartedness and disregard for others. They are often impulsive, yet lack guilt and remorse, meaning they may invite you to join in on their reckless, even dangerous fun, and then shrug their shoulders if someone gets hurt.” 1 likes