Start by marking “What the Most Successful People Do Before Breakfast: And Two Other Short Guides to Achieving More at Work and at Home” as Want to Read:

Three powerful mini e-books about high productivity, now together in paperback

Laura Vanderkam has combined her three popular mini e-books into one comprehensive guide, with a new introduction. It will help readers build habits that lead to happier, more productive lives, despite the pressures of their busy schedules. Trough interviews and anecdotes, she reveals . . .
What
Published August 27th 2013 by Portfolio

Be the first to ask a question about What the Most Successful People Do Before Breakfast

Manuel Antão
Oct 06, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2013
If you're into stuff like this, you can read the full review.

Barmy Kafka: "What the Most Successful People Do Before Breakfast - And Two Other Short Guides to Achieving More at Work and at Home" by Laura Vanderkam

(original review, 2013)

This is all grimly self-helpish and there is no common denominator, so there is no top tips take-away. I’m coming from the Rough Guide’s “50 things You Must Do Before You Die” and all that, this is a bit of a double whammy. Are we supposed to squeeze the last drop
Kristen Lemaster
This is another book, in reference to Lean In, which reads more like an extended thesis than an actual self-help book, but that doesn't discredit the effort and intentional thinking that went into its creation. The first and third sections are interesting although nothing revolutionary; in fact, Eric teased me for expecting the answer to "what do the most successful people do before breakfast?" to be anything besides "wake up super early." The middle section, however, is the game changer. I love ...more
 Marple
-Ironically I've read this book late at night-
DON'T JUDGE ME OKAY?

This was a big hit in time management self help books. Straight forward and doesn't beat around the bushes.

To be honest I have my time managed very well but i still improve myself reading articles. This book although some of it sounds ideal but if you read it keeping in mind to be flexible. You will end up benefiting a lot from it.

The main idea of this book is to use your mornings wisely and more productive wise.

By waking up earli
Heidi The Reader
Sep 27, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: business, non-fiction
What the Most Successful People Do Before Breakfast was helpful but not as earth shattering as The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up (which if you haven't read yet, I very highly recommend). I've already discovered that if I tackle the projects that take the most amount of focus earlier in the day, it generally flows a lot more smoothly than if I wait to do it until the afternoon. I suppose that if I got up earlier that I could do more but I don't think that this will encourage me to start getti ...more
Janssen
Jan 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, non-fiction
This was a great book to read as the new year kicked off and I always like Laura Vanderkam.
Erin
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
Time track.
Waste less time.
Assess priorities.
Do important things in the morning.
Because willpower is a gas tank.

This sure as hell did not need to be a book.
Apr 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
A quick read that talked about prioritizing the things that need to get done, or the things that you want in your life. For most successful people, early mornings involve some exercise and a spiritual aspect. I want to begin a more intentional morning routine, so I enjoyed this book.
7jane
Jul 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Quite useful... the 'breakfast' part concentrates on the benefits of being an early bird, which can mean more me-time: to strategise and focus on work, to spend more time with family and to take care of oneself (exercise, spiritual, creatively). The 'weekend' part concentrates on how to spend weekends productively and making good memories. The 'work' part concentrates on tips how to make work easier and more fun (though not all tips fit all work types).

The 'work' part was the least useful for me
Alexa
Nov 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Interesting to hear what successful people do with there mornings but nothing groundbreaking. It's kind of obvious to get more done in your day to wake up earlier and use your time productively. It's short and a good motivational speech though.
Tina
Some insightful stuff, however, Vanderkamp caters her suggestions to the upper middle class. Additionally, I listened to this as an audiobook. The author should NOT be the reader for her book!
Naitasia
Narrow perspective, but at least it's short.
Melissa
Nov 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Anthony Trollope once said, "A habit has the force of the water drop that hollows the stone. A small daily task, if it be really daily, will beat the labors of a spasmodic Hercules" (33). That's essentially the philosophy of Vanderkam's main idea: manage increments of time well, repeatedly, and you can accomplish great things. This is the second Vanderkam book I've read (168 Hours was the first). A wonderful feature of this smaller book is her section on What the Most Successful People Do On the ...more
Lilly  Minasyan
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
I had this book in an audiobook format and listened to it during my morning run. I felt extra motivated than I anticipated.
The book itself is short and to the point. I love self-help books that aren’t beating around the bush. I liked that Laura talked about that the first few days are the easy ones and then your willpower slowly goes down and it is crucial to form habits and habits take a while to form. “Choose one new habit at a time to introduce. ” And definitely concentrating on one goal at
Sonia Mallet
Feb 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Utterly impressed!

I've been trying to rehaul me routine/schedule, but was having trouble doing so. It's not that I didn't know what to do, I didn't know how. Or what to do first. One of the biggest reasons the important tasks did not get done is that I accomplished the day-to-day chores or activities during my peak energy times, and had no energy left for anything else.

Everything explained in this book is very easily actionable. Getting quick wins lead to big wins!

Very little of what Laura wrot
Leslie
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2017, productivity
The best thing I get from Laura Vanderkam is that we all have more time than we think we have, and we use it the way we want to (whether we admit it or not). Vanderkam relies on interviews, time logs, and anecdotes for her guides, so in that way, it has a very different vibe than Power of Habit, which is more evidence-based. Written as 3 short ebooks, they read that way. I don't think I gleaned any specific new tricks from this book, but if you're new to productivity hacks and time management, I ...more
Heidi Goehmann
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: home-life
This is a pleasant useful little read on three components to consider for your morning routine. A little bit of research, a little bit of annecdote made this read fun. The three components she brings forward to consider I have found true in my own life and I like the flexibility of the results rather than a "do this" guide.
Amber
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Short and sweet. I listened to the audiobook and didn't realize that these were more like articles than actual books. I was eager to learn more but there was no more given. I was a little disappointed in the lack of support. I feel there are better books on the topic out there. I don't recommend wasting your time reading these snippets of information.
Catherine
This very short read didn't contain anything I hadn't read before. No surprise here. But I was hoping for a new slant, an inspirational tone, but it was not to be for me. That doesn't mean it wouldn't be for someone else.
Elaine
Sep 18, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you privileged lady.
Shelby
Jan 29, 2017 rated it liked it
I listened to the audio of this book because it was one hour and I need to fill time on an airplane. There were some good tips and fun stories but nothing life changing.
Ericka Clouther
I appreciate that this book is short. Vanderkam gives advice, good advice, and doesn't waste your time with filler.
Bethany
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
Nothing revolutionary here. Probably written for the clueless.
Kris
Apr 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Yeah, I won’t be getting up at 5am anytime soon, but there are some good reminders in here, like not frittering away your morning hours unconsciously. If you get up and plan to do nothing as a method of relaxation, that’s cool. But I have too many mornings where I have to be somewhere at 10, I’ve been up since 7, and at 9:30, I’m running around my house frantically wondering what the hell happened to all that time.
Cullen Haynes
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"Instead of saying 'I don't have time', try saying 'it's not a priority and see how that feels" - Laura Vanderkam

For many of us in today's world of hustle and bustle, mornings are a madcap time for many of us. We often wake up in a daze - often reaching for the snooze swipe on our phone, "just five more minutes" we tell ourselves. Then, we make a frenetic rush around, going hither and thither to get out the door so we can officially start the day. Sound familiar?
Before we know it, the precious m
Carolina
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent ideas for thinking about time management.
Samantha
Apr 26, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a pretty typical self help book. The secret to getting things done is by doing. Make a plan and schedule your hours to the best of your ability. Nothing special and nothing really knew learned from this book.
Jenn
Feb 10, 2019 rated it liked it
In sum, purpose and intentional planning make the best use of our time. The weekend mini book was my favorite of the three but all had some sound nuggets.
Amber
Oct 04, 2015 rated it liked it

•What the Most Successful People Do at Work—to accomplish more in less time.

I read this so you won't have to! Just kidding. I was on a big self-help kick towards the end of last year and it petered out. I finally finished this a few weeks ago. Everyone is going to get something different out of this collection. I put post-its on items I wanted to remember.

From What the Most Successful People Do Before Breakfast... minimize the have-to-dos. The key thing with chores and weekends is not to focus s
ceedmonson
Jul 30, 2019 rated it did not like it
The author essentially repeated blog posts and articles by every expert saying the same thing into a one hour audiobook. She just draws it out out with examples that, as someone else noted, are relevant for a specific demographic.
1) Do the things important *to you* first thing in the morning.
2) Do it regularly.
3) Getting up earlier provides uninterrupted time to do those things.

I’m not sure who’s giving this 4 and 5 stars.
Cinthya Yuanita
Nov 02, 2014 rated it liked it
This book is divided into four sections. It’s not only about what the most successful people do before breakfast, as written on the title. Laura Vanderkam also shows us how to maximize the productivity on the weekend and at workplace.

It’s such a cracking book for the nocturnal creature (like me). I’m not a morning person. Well, I used to hate morning, by the way. Then I guess this book is very enlightening. Laura teaches me to manage my morning much much better, which is automatically, (hopefull
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Focus: The Power of Targeted Thinking
  • Brave Girls: Raising Young Women with Passion and Purpose to Become Powerful Leaders
  • The Hour That Matters Most: The Surprising Power of the Family Meal
  • The Future of Reputation: Gossip, Rumor, and Privacy on the Internet
  • A Tooth from the Tiger's Mouth: How to Treat Your Injuries with Powerful Healing Secrets of the Great Chinese Warrior
  • 5 Spiritual Solutions for Everyday Parenting Challenges
  • Boundaries Face to Face: How to Have That Difficult Conversation You've Been Avoiding
  • I Know Who You Are and I Saw What You Did: Social Networks and the Death of Privacy
  • Your Brain and Business: The Neuroscience of Great Leaders
  • A Mother's Book of Secrets
  • The Little Free Library Book
  • Formula Solat Sempurna
  • Syed Mokhtar Albukhary: A Biography
  • Impiana Misteri Terbongkar (Impiana, #3)
  • Ali bin Abi Talib: Mutiara Ilmu Islam
  • You Majored in What?: Mapping Your Path from Chaos to Career
  • Travelog Dakwah: Meniti Hari Esok
Laura Vanderkam is the author of several time management and productivity books, including Off the Clock, I Know How She Does It, What the Most Successful People Do Before Breakfast, and 168 Hours.

Her 2016 TED talk, "How to Gain Control of Your Free Time," has been viewed more than 5 million times.

She regularly appears in publications including the New York Times, the Wall Street Journal, Fast C
“No comiences a usar tu tiempo libre sin un plan porque, entonces, lo perderás mientras se te ocurre qué hacer”, nos recomienda Huckabee.” 0 likes
“En efecto, aprender a aprovechar las mañanas es algo que, en nuestro distraído mundo, puede marcar la diferencia entre el logro y el caos.” 0 likes