Start by marking “The Grim Company (The Grim Company, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Grim Company (The Grim Company, #1)

The Grim Company

(Grim Company #1)

The difference between a hero and a killer lies in the ability to justify dark deeds. But this is the Age of Ruin. And there are no heroes...

Published September 3rd 2013 by Roc (first published February 4th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Grim Company, please sign up.
Luke Scull I'm under contract for three books. The third, DEAD MAN'S STEEL, will be released in 2016.
Paul Bosonetto Uh no. The Black Company has quite a different writing style. Maybe some of themes and stuff are the same, but this book feels much different. The…moreUh no. The Black Company has quite a different writing style. Maybe some of themes and stuff are the same, but this book feels much different. The Grim Company reads a lot like Joe Abercrombie's First Law Trilogy. (less)

Mark Lawrence
I read the last four or five chapters in one go and really enjoyed all the threads converging in a good old fashioned siege/punch-up.

The Grim company has been described as part of a new wave of fantasy, led by writers such as Joe Abercrombie (I've not read Abercrombie so I can't comment on any similarities). To my mind though it actually feels quite retro, albeit with bad language. There's plenty of talk about 'realism' these days - and this book didn't have that George RR Martin 're
Bookwraiths
Jun 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, library, grimdark
Originally reviewed at Bookwraiths Reviews

When I think of a grimdark novel, what comes to mind is an ultra-violent, amoral, uber realistic story where good guys don’t even finish last . . . they get slaughtered before the race even begins! Something along the lines of this.

description

Okay, maybe, that isn’t completely fair, but we all know the sub-genre is known for those eleme
Ahmad Sharabiani
Sep 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Grim Company (The Grim Company, #1), Luke Scull

Five hundred years ago, the world was destroyed in the celestial Godswar. Seeking to throw off the shackles of the deities who created them, a cabal of mages rose up and made war upon the Gods. Though they won out, it was at a great cost: the ensuing cataclysm brought forth the Age of Ruin
Stuart
"It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation."

I've used that quote many times to reinforce to students how important it is to be original when composing a essay. It's so easy to be influenced by a journal where you believe part of it answers the question to which you are posed perfectly. Perfection is a myth, something we strive to but find it frustratingly impossible to obtain - but maybe the perfection you seek should be from your own mind and thoughts, not other's. Aspire is diffe
Stefan Bach
"Civilization functions only because strong men do not permit weaker men to indulge their baser instincts.
Freedom and liberty are the means by which anarchy reigns – and anarchy is the natural state for men to freely express the evil that lurks within them. Within all of them. Within you."

I see a lot of comparisons being made between this book and Joe Abercrombie’s The First Law Trilogy.
To be honest, I don’t remember much of The First Law trilogy except that it was boring. So if that was the main comp
Mihir
Feb 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Full Review originally at Fantasy Book Critic

ANALYSIS: The Grim Company is Luke Scull’s debut title and Head Of Zeus secured it for a six-figure sum. Stefan alerted me to the book’s existence over at Civilian Reader. With an ever-intriguing blurb and terrific Spartan cover art, I contacted HOZ for a review copy to which they gladly obliged. I read it on a weekend while stuck at Minneapolis airport and those 7-8 hours were spent reading this book cover to cover. I was thoroughly entranced by
Paul O'Neill
Oct 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Why does this book only have a 3.7 rating???!?!? It was awesome!

Great characters - check
Character building / great character arcs - check
Interesting world / back story - check
Great twists and turns - check
Great ending - One of the best I've read in a fantasy book (so...check!)

Cole, one of the main characters was absolutely fantastic. A blundering, delusional 'hero' who provides many a funny moment and was definitely the highlight of the book for me.

As far as
Nick T. Borrelli
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
This book seemed like a really bad imitation of a Joe Abercrombie novel. The problem is it didn't have any of the awesome characters or compelling plot that Joe seems to deliver every single time. The language was incredibly foul to the point where it became almost ridiculous. I'm not opposed to bad language in books but if it is excessive and only done to be purposely "edgy", then it kind of annoys me more than anything. Do yourself a favor if you like books that are dark, violent, and intense ...more
David Sven
My favourite fantasy read or rather my favourite fantasy listen this year so far.

It's grimdark Abercrombie style. In fact this is what you'd get if Abercrombie got together with himself and had a baby - ie Abercrombie... just with a fouler mouth.

And if you are into audio books then audio is the way to go for experiencing this book. Joe Jameson is as good for this book as Steven Pacey is for the First Law books.

To continue the First Law comparisons - there's th
Mike (the Paladin)
I started this book 3 times before I got into it. It has some flaws and for a while I was sure that the book would get no more from me that a 3 and a low 3 at that.

The world is one that is (as has become popular lately) very dark and gritty... And it really, really wants to be dark and gritty. It wants you to KNOW without a doubt how dark and gritty it is. If it could it would shout at you as you walk by, "SEE HOW DARK AND GRITTY I AM!!!!!!" IF some form of word for "dung" can be use
Emma
Jan 05, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: yeartoclear
3 stars because hidden in the mess were some really fun ideas (like the transcended) and because I really liked Brodar Kayne, though I’ve met him elsewhere. That being the main problem with the book, the unshakeable feeling that I’ve read it all somewhere else before. And better. Probably by Joe Abercrombie.

It all felt off, but since I apparently already own the next in the series, I’m going in....
Mike (the Paladin)
Oct 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: epic-fantasy, fantasy

ijeoma Agbaje
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was ok

2.5 Stars
I'm almost angry enough at this book to give it a one star.. This a great book???? Pfftttt!!!
Also it's becoming increasingly clear that for the most part, authors in the sub genre of grim dark are more concerned with how foul (in terms of curse words) their characters are and describing how people's intestines are falling out to give diddly squat in terms of an amazing plot.

The plot, the characters, everything about this book was flat, Like my gawd!! it felt like they were

Bcvs
Dec 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
I liked this book.
The end is predictable, the characters have all been seen before and the plot is too simple and yet, I couldn't put this book down.
Perhaps partly this was because I kept hoping that on the next page there would be that dramatic break-through I was hoping for. That didn't really happen.
I also found the world described to be too bleak and depressing. What irked me most was how most of the population are so unlucky, unimportant and suffering or dying for no good
D.E.M. Emrys
The Good: A promising debut set in a truly epic world, with gritty, relatable characters, and a page burner of a plot (yes, that's right, a page burner).

The Bad: In my opinion I don’t think there is a lot that is BAD about ‘The Grim Company’ – I’ve seen the pointed finger on a lot of reviews, but I’ll try and clarify my thoughts on the ‘grimdark’ and ‘Abercrombie mk2’ here.

The Ugly Truth: The Grim Company is a hugely impressive debut. Yes, it’s Grimdark. Yes, it’s comparable to Joe Abercrombie. B/>The/>The
Mogsy (MMOGC)
Jun 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: epic, fantasy, magic, audiobook, war
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum http://bibliosanctum.blogspot.com/201...

Okay, I can be pretty out of it sometimes. I picked up Luke Scull's The Grim Company on account of all the positive buzz surrounding the book, and ended up loving it. But the thing is, I didn't read many reviews or any information about it ahead of time, so it wasn't until weeks after I finished the book that I finally found out about all the comparisons made to Joe Abercrombie, an author whose work I adore as well.

In retrospect, I suppose t
 Charlie - A Reading Machine
In Australia we chant “Scull scull scull” when someone is drinking a beer at extreme speed. It’s a hairy man boof head thing from the cave dwelling days. Anyway I finished this book last night and found chanting saying ‘Scull scull scull’!

The Gods have been killed by a bunch of mages who have stepped into their void and taken over. How can a son watch his mother burn?

One of the reasons this book worked for me is that the Author pulled together some of my very favourite ch
Michael Sliter
Jul 24, 2017 rated it liked it
The reviews, for The Grim Company, have been mixed. And, after reading the first book of the trilogy, I can see why that is the case. (Spoilers throughout)

The Grim Company is set in a post-apocalyptic world, where the gods have been slain by the various mage lords, who know rule over the people several hundred years later. The idea for the world—corpses of the gods still littering the land, being harvested for use in magical items, is quite interesting and one of the high points of the story. H
Pete Clarke
Feb 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I first heard the name Luke Scull—and by the way, what a totally excellent name that is for a writer of fantasy fiction—somewhere around the middle of last year. Scull's debut novel, The Grim Company, had just been the subject of a fierce, six-way bidding-war, with brand-new publishing house, Head of Zeus, eventually claiming victory with a bid described as being somewhere in the “strong six-figure” section of the ballpark.

The first of a trilogy, The Grim Company isn’t relea
Mark
Feb 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In my summary of Fantasy reads of 2012 , I made the point that I was rather disappointed that I hadn’t found a new Epic Fantasy that had really engaged me, despite many being heralded as such. (Of those, The Red Knight by Miles Cameron came closest.)

Being honest, it has made me a little wary of any ‘new’ Epic Fantasy. And I must admit I did approach this one with a little trepidation.

In summary, it’s not perfect. But it is the best Fantasy debut I’ve read lately, and I think many will like it
Andy
Very enjoyable for the most part. Maybe the ending was a little rushed compared to most Epic fantasy I have read but perhaps thats NOT necessarily a bad thing as waaaaay too many of the genre of late have been overlong & drawn out. In fact on reflection i kinda enjoyed that!

Characters are very engaging, maybe...... could have been fleshed out a little more but we did get enough to keep us hooked by ways of a slow release over the chapters which included a few flashbacks & off
Lee
May 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: dark-fantasy
Well it was good to be back reading something that held my attention for a while. Scull has certainly got the talent to write a great story and whilst I think this was a pretty good beginning, I am hoping to see a little more depth in the writing in the next book.

So what do I mean by that? Well, the characters were pretty good, with some nice interaction and some nice quirky characteristics, the world building was very good, the story was... a bit different, no real interesting magic
David
Aug 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent, easy-to-read, fast-paced Heroic Fantasy. Pretty much right on the mark in exactly what I prefer in a Fantasy novel. Very similar to Paul S. Kemp's Egil and Nix novels, or James A. Moore's fantasy works, in immediacy and swift moving, clean and clear-eyed prose. A genuinely great treat that I heartily recommend ahead of more popular works in the genre. Move this one up your reading list!
Milo (BOK)
Read The Review Here: http://thefoundingfields.com/2013/05/...

“Gritty fantasy has a new and enthralling addition to its ranks. If you’re a fan of Joe Abercrombie or George RR Martin, then this is one you’ll want to have under your radar.” ~The Founding Fields

I first came across this book after hearing about it on Civilian Reader, and upon finding out that it was pretty cheap on the Kindle Fire (only £1-ish), I decided to snap it up and give it a try. After all, I love gritty fantasy, but with so many already established/>
Greg (adds 2 TBR list daily) Hersom
I had my misgivings for the first couple chapters because it seemed a little like it had been done-one-too-many times before. But once it got going I was all-up-on-it! AWESOME read Mr. Scull!
Patricia Crowther
Dec 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maybe 4.5*? Bad language and bloody battles, I enjoyed it! My main criticism is that it was too fast paced and skirted over some of the plot point. Needed more pages!
Tabitha
Turning cursing into a literary art form, The Grim Company bashes its way onto the scene with a cast of characters I couldn’t help but enjoy.

With hard boiled men prone to angry outbursts, and a youth who styles himself a hero, a devious revolutionary, a crippled half-mage who is literally half a person (no legs mind you) – many a reader will take to this grim (he he see what I did there?) yet fun story with loads of enthusiasm.

Admittedly, it follows a very traditional fantasy fo
Robin Carter
Jan 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Review

I feel privileged to have been asked to read this book ahead of publication (so thank you Head of Zeus). Luke Scull looks to be a writer who will hit the fantasy Genre like an augmented Hammer. His writing is compelling, exciting and engaging, it drags you off to experience life in the city of Dorminia in very short order.

For me personally, the writing spoke straight to me and the type of book i love, it had a witty, slightly sarcastic edge that gave it a realism so lacking i
Liam Johnstone
Feb 20, 2014 added it
Shelves: 2014, 2017
While I was reading this book, it didn't feel like a great book most of the time. It felt like maybe the author was ripping something off. It felt a lot like parts of The First Law were lifted, names changed to protect the northmen, and just put right back in. But it started to feel like a lot more than that.
The story grew and the characters, who I hated at first, started to come clear. Let's take stock:

Brodar Kayne: A northman, once the champion for the head man. Not afraid to kill
The Grim Reader
Jan 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Grim, but great reading.

I haven't enjoyed a fantasy book this much since I last read The First Law trilogy by Joe Abercrombie. This is a very similar beast, which features characters painted in black and white that don't always have the best intentions, but, you kind of end up cheering for them anyhow. The first half of the book builds nicely towards a brutal second half. Some excellent battle scenes, twists and turns, this book has it all. Recommended reading for fans of Dark Fantasy, Grimdark
Gritty Fantasy: Most Recent Book Read: Gritty Fantasy 3 19 Apr 17, 2017 02:29PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: The Grim Company by Luke Scull 1 2 Aug 24, 2014 02:04PM

• Scourge of the Betrayer (Bloodsounder's Arc, #1)
  • The Black Guard (The Long War, #1)
  • Herald of the Storm (Steelhaven, #1)
  • The Heresy Within (The Ties that Bind, #1)
  • The City
  • The Crimson Shield (Gallow, #1)
  • Drakenfeld (Lucan Drakenfeld, #1)
  • Low Town (Low Town, #1)
  • The Lascar's Dagger (The Forsaken Lands, #1)
  • The Ten Thousand (The Macht #1)
  • The Hammer and the Blade (Egil and Nix #1)
  • Age of Iron (Iron Age, #1)
  • Moon's Artifice (The Empire of a Hundred Houses, #1)
  • The Emperor's Knife (Tower and Knife Trilogy, #1)
  • The Iron Wolves (The Rage of Kings, #1)
  • The Path of Anger (The Book and The Sword, #1)
  • The Whitefire Crossing (Shattered Sigil, #1)
  • Swords of Good Men (The Valhalla Saga, #1)
LUKE SCULL was born in and lives in Bristol. Luke also designs computer roleplaying games and has worked on several acclaimed titles for Ossian Studios and Bioware.

Luke's first novel, THE GRIM COMPANY, was shortlisted for the David Gemmell Morningstar Award, 2014.

Visit his website at: www.lukescull.com

Grim Company (3 books)
  • Sword of the North (Grim Company, #2)
  • Dead Man's Steel (The Grim Company, #3)
“Those with nothing but vengeance to live for are condemned by their own bitter victory.” 9 likes
“Expect the worst and you can’t be disappointed. Optimism is the luxury of the young, the foolish and the dullard.” 4 likes