Start by marking “Spaghetti is Not a Finger Food (and Other Life Lessons)” as Want to Read:
Spaghetti is Not a Finger Food (and Other Life Lessons)

Spaghetti is Not a Finger Food (and Other Life Lessons)

Being eight, Connor knew a lot. He knew that Mrs. Winters did not like to be interrupted, but he was sure she would appreciate his fact-finding methods—and who wouldn’t want to know more about geckos? He knew he needed the new library book, “More All About Dogs,” more than Jane needed to keep sitting on that stool—and he only nudged her off so he could reach it. On a day w ...more
Published April 1st 2013 by Little Pickle Stories (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Spaghetti is Not a Finger Food, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spaghetti is Not a Finger Food

Start your review of Spaghetti is Not a Finger Food (and Other Life Lessons)
Athena Nagel
Aug 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
As a mom of children on the spectrum I truly appreciated this book. It is funny to view a "typical day in the life of..." from the outside. Sometimes living through it you forget to look it objectively. I often wonder, particularly in my son's case, just how he perceives the world. My son is very much like Connor - very light hearted, happy go lucky but struggles to navigate through the world of rules. He also focus' on his favorite things and cannot understand why everyone else is not as excite ...more
 Reading Reindeer
Review of Spaghetti is NOT a Finger Food and Other Life Lessons by Jodi Carmichael
5 stars

This chapter book for middle grade readers taught me a lot about what it is like to be a young child with Asperger’s Syndrome. Connor is a very smart little boy, he might even rate at genius level, and he possesses a wealth of information (especially about dogs and geckos). What he doesn’t have are acquired social skills, and he tends to see the world through a tunnel of perspective: he wants so much to impa
Niki
Connor is a young boy with Asperger's Syndrome having a rough day. The antics, told from Connor's point-of-view, are amusing, but almost understandable! Ultimately, Connor is a hero and finds a way to shine, even if it is just for that moment!

This is a useful classroom tool for teaching diversity, empathy, and acceptance. I absolutely love Connor's character. I think this book is an important addition to classroom and school libraries (and many home collections too) because every child needs to
Jay
a fun and enlightening look at a day in the life of a young boy with Asperger's Syndrome.

Connor's day at school starts off quite nicely, but very quickly turns into very Discouraging Day.
In a dramatic turn of events, Connor saves the day and shows the entire school how great he really is!

A great story to show the struggles that children with autism have to overcome in their everyday life, as well as showing their strengths

** thanks to NetGalley & the publishers for this copy!
Lisa
Apr 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: parents with children
Recommended to Lisa by: Netgalley
Awesome book. It is about this child that has Asperger's Syndrome and going through his school day. It certainly brought the struggle of that disease to light in my eyes. Even though the lessons are the same as every child would go through in a school day, it brought a different view from someone not quite as "normal". He is no less as special as everyone else in the class, he just has different strengths and weaknesses.
Chapter by Chapter
This was such a cute read! I don’t regularly read children’s novels but Spaghetti is Not a Finger Food was a total exception. It was funny, sweet and would have definitely interested me way back when I was a kid. Spaghetti is Not a Finger Food is about a little boy named Connor. Connor loves dogs, math and has Asperger’s syndrome. Apart from all of that Connor is just trying to get through the day and get viewed as cool by his peers. We get to see the average school day for Connor which consists ...more
Sharon Tyler
Jun 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Spaghetti is Not a Finger Food, written by Jodi Carmichael and illustrated by Sarah Ackerley is a chapter book about an eight-year-old boy with Asperger's Syndrome. Young Connor takes readers with him as he works his way through an average school day. We get to see his thought processes as he tries his hardest to be as cool as everyone else. Like any time people try to be what they think is cool rather than themselves, misunderstandings and disaster soon follows. However, at the end of the day C ...more
Gaele
This was a clever and funny story that clearly detail's Connor's train of thought, seeming quite logical to him but baffling and frustrating to others that he comes in contact with. Written with a clear understanding of both Connor and his teachers and classmates, it brings the reader to an understanding of that "quirky" kid, and perhaps will open the door for more acceptance.

This is a chapter book, with each set being confined to a specific part of the day, and is easy to follow along. Each new
Terry
Feb 07, 2014 marked it as tbr-still-to-read  ·  review of another edition
Adult Reader Reaction: In a word: superb! By letting Connor tell the story, readers can walk in his shoes and see the world as he does. The author captures a young boy's voice perfectly. Every child knows what interrupting is - and how hard it is to be patient. All of us know what its like to want something NOW and then just grab for it. The story has a happy ending, as it should.

Pros: Humor, vivid descriptions, and first-person narrative create a delightful, poignant story of a young boy's day
Jessalyn King
May 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: early-reader
This one, again felt a little like it was meant for the grown ups in the life of a child with aspergers, or at least the other children around that child. It was a delightful read, though, the pictures were adorable, Connor was adorable. I loved his counsellor.
Beth
Powerful book that really shares some of the items happening in the mind of a child with Asperger's.

Reviewed on Tuesday Tales: http://www.theangelforever.com/2013/0...
Andréa
Great at helping parents/teachers/friends understand what kids with Asperger's are going through and how they're seeing the world.
Cathy
Feb 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Short chapters, colorful and lively illustrations, FUNNY. Provides a good point of view on Asperger's syndrome with ways to cope that can benefit all.
Marilyn
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In Spaghetti Is Not a Finger Food, readers experience a school day through the eyes of Connor, a boy with Asperger Syndrome. I appreciated his perspective, loved his big heart, and admired his bravery. Jodi Carmichael has written a touching and insightful book about and for readers like Connor, and for readers who might want to know Connors better.
Alicia Bayer
This is a cute chapter book about the life of a boy with Asperger's. Simple illustrations accompany some of the text. Readers will enjoy the humor and the insight into the main character's perspective.
Emily
Mar 19, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A manners book written on a kid level. Very well done! But I probably wouldn't read all 150-some pages.
Andrea Ika
Review : Spaghetti is not Finger Food and other life lessons

Jodi Charmichael

Title : Spaghetti is Not A Finger Food and Other Life lessons
Author : Jodi Charmichael
Genre: children
Rating : 3 stars

Book blurb
In this humorous chapter book about an eight-year-old boy with Asperger’s Syndrome, Connor struggles to make his way through a typical school day. In his attempt to be as cool as everyone else, he leaves a hilarious trail of destruction. But, by the end of the day, and despite many miscommunica
Connie
I read this book at the request of a friend who, knowing I have loved ones diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome (AS), wanted my opinion of it.

People with AS can seem tiresome, impulsive, inconsiderate, and self-absorbed if one doesn't understand them. It was therefore refreshing to read a book written from the perspective of a child with AS.

The illustrations are delightful, and the layout works well for this book. It's not easy for Connor to understand why certain behaviours aren't appropriate,
Emilia P
May 30, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-stuff
I sure am a hard grader! Though I found the better part of this book hilarious and right-on (or at least I imagine it to be so..) I thought it was a bit too didactic and improbable for it's own good, and for the good of it's potential readership, but it's still worth a good look in what I imagine is a fairly small field of books for kids about the subject.

Connor has Asperger's Syndrome, and so he relates to the world -- his class, his friends, his food, his schoolwork, and even dogs -- a little
Lynn  Davidson
Sep 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
The title – Spaghetti is NOT a Finger Food (and other life lessons) – is the first thing that grabbed my attention, and then the happy innocence of the little boy on the front cover.

For anyone not familiar with Asperger’s Syndrome, this book is such a great way to learn more about how it affects a child. The whole story is told through the voice of an eight-year-old boy who has Asperger’s Syndrome.

Connor is happy, smart, eager, energetic, and gets into trouble easily because of how differently h
Kristi Betts
Jul 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This delightful book provides an informative and insightful look through the eyes of a young boy with Asperger Syndrome. I could not see where Connor's age or grade was mentioned. I would say Connor is approximately nine to ten years old and in the fourth, maybe fifth grade. Through his personal dialogue, a day in the life of Connor is written in fourteen life lessons (chapters). In a humorous manner Connor's idiosyncrasies are presented for the reader.

Ms. Carmichael has created a character who
Soup
ARC provided by NetGalley

An entertaining but sympathetic view of Asperger's Syndrome best suited to children with AS (as they are so rarely featured in books) and adults seeking to better understand their AS child/student/grandchild/niece/nephew/ward/whatever. While not terribly informative about the syndrome itself, the book does shed light on the thought patterns that dominate AS sufferers and the way those patterns and compulsions impact both their world view and behavior. While it might not
Mary
Jul 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
**** Many thanks to Little Pickle Press LLC and NetGalley for allowing me access to this book ****

I didn't read a summary before I dove into this book, so I didn't know what to expect. I loved the book for what it was, a day in the life of a boy. While skimming reviews to find the book in print I discovered this is supposed to be a book about a boy with Asperger's Syndrome and what a typical day can be for him.

I have never been around someone with Aspergers for a long period of time so I am not
Kerry
Apr 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Asperger's Syndrome is not a disease, its a different way of thinking and viewing the world. This book has the ability to help anyone understand how a child with Asperger's may view everyday activities and events. I loved how the author focussed on how Connor read facial and voice cues (or rather didn't). The story is written in a way to help siblings, classmates and teachers to understand how confusing and yet simplistic the world can be for a child with Asperger's.
Geebowie
Apr 29, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A book about a stressful day in the life of a 7 year old boy with Aspergers. The book is meant to explain the condition to kids. Or to give to kids who are on the spectrum themselves. Oddly enough the book never mentions Aspergers by name . Also at times the kids seemed to much a stereotype of the condition. . - See more at: http://chipublib.bibliocommons.com/it... ...more
Melinda Friesen
Dec 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read Spaghetti to my 8 year old son and much giggling ensued. He loved Connor and found so much in the story he could identify with. Ms. Carmichael treats this subject in a sensitive and approachable manner while at the same time making us laugh. We liked it so much we passed the book on to my son's grade 3 teacher. Well done!
Suzanne Costigan
Connor's original voice will pull you in to this fun read. Connor has Aspergers Syndrome and the story is from his point of view. A true look at the thought process of someone on the Autism spectrum, creates understanding and tolerance. This story is adorably funny. Kids will love Connor's antics as he moves through one day of school. Highly recommend!
Diana Pettis
Nov 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite so far on the Cybils list. I feel as though teachers, parents, and older elementary students would benefit from reading this book. I can see many of these situations happening at an elementary school.
Ken Yliniemi
This book has quite an interesting writing style. If anything read it for that reason. It is wirtten as from in side the mind of the autistic boy who is narrating. Once I figured that out, it made much more sense, and a great view point to look at from his mind and the world around him.
Shelley
Jul 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great book to read aloud and discuss tolerance and differences.

• Autism Is...? (Autism Is...? Books) (Volume 1)
  • The Keeping Quilt
  • Noah Chases the Wind
  • Stink: Hamlet and Cheese
  • Stink: Solar System Superhero
  • Branded as Trouble (Rough Riders, #6)
  • Long Hard Ride (Rough Riders, #1)
  • Rock Hard (Sinners on Tour, #2)
  • Dangerous Boys and Their Toy
  • Wicked Beat (Sinners on Tour, #4)
  • Be with Me
  • Tie Me Up, Tie Me Down (Cowboy Kink)