Start by marking “Dorothea Lange: American Photographs” as Want to Read:
Dorothea Lange: American Photographs

Dorothea Lange: American Photographs

American Photographs includes three essays including facets of Lang's work, including her role in the evolution of American documentary style; her relationship with members of group f.64and the notion of photography as an art form in California; and her unique collaborative relationship with her husband sociologist Paul Taylor.
Published June 1st 1994 by Chronicle Books (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Dorothea Lange, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dorothea Lange

Jennifer Mangler
May 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Dorothea Lange's photographs are so powerful and haunting. I've read through this book several times, and each time I do a new photograph speaks to me.
Sydney
Aug 02, 2008 rated it really liked it
This book takes me back to junior year in college. I was taking a visual communication course, the first course I had with my academic advisor in my journalism program. We each had to pick an artist/visual communicator from a list she drew up and then write a huge paper on that person. I selected Norman Rockwell. I scoured libraries for books on NR, and couldn't find what I needed to write the 15 page paper. Two days before the paper was due, I switched to Dorothea Lange. I found this book in th ...more
Colleen
Feb 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You just can't go wrong with any collection of photographs by Lange. I never get tired of looking at her work. This book includes many of her photos from the Depression, as well as a selection of photos she took for the government during the removal of Japanese Americans from the west coast. Powerful.
Kevin Summers
Nov 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult
Sample quote from "The Crucial Years" by Oliva Maria Rubio: "To speak of Dorothea Lange is to speak of the Great Depression in the United States. Her pictures transport us to those years in which her country suffered one of its worst crises of its history."
Mar 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I see more because of Dorothea Lange. I have so much respect for her accomplishment.
Carol
May 24, 2016
Jen
Sep 11, 2016
Cynthia
rated it did not like it
Jan 11, 2008
finn
Jan 24, 2012
Martin Hogan
Oct 18, 2012
Dorothea Lange was an influential American documentary photographer and photojournalist, best known for her Depression-era work for the Farm Security Administration (FSA). Lange's photographs humanized the tragic consequences of the Great Depression and profoundly influenced the development of documentary photography.