Start by marking “Dude, Where's my Stethoscope” as Want to Read:
Dude, Where's my Stethoscope

Dude, Where's my Stethoscope

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  86 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Dude, Where's My Stethoscope? is a delightful, vivid and eclectic collection of true-life medical short stories. The adventure begins during the author's formative years in medical school and takes the reader through two decades of thought-provoking rural and urban-based ER and family practice experiences. Humorously written in an engaging mash-up of formal prose and infor ...more
Published 2012 by Elysium

To ask other readers questions about Dude, Where's my Stethoscope, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dude, Where's my Stethoscope

Anthony Stancomb
Jul 04, 2016 rated it liked it
A remarkable achievement – a book about funny/disastrous/hilarious/inspiring antics in an ER department of a hospital in a small town, that isn’t gruesome/mawkish /over-technical/ sanctimonious. It’s the story of a doctor’s life, and we are taken by him through medical school, internship, posting to the middle of nowhere, marriage and family life.
It’s as if he lives next door and as you lean over the garden fence, you get treated to his stories of all the funny things that have happened in the h
Sandy Lee
Mar 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
I was introduced to this book when a coworker brought it to work one night and shared it with us. It caught my attention because it was written by a doctor from Winnipeg who graduated from the University of Manitoba’s Faculty of Medicine. And of course, being short stories from the ER and things of the like, I ensured I made a trip to Chapters the next chance I got.

I actually really liked this book, mostly because the short stories made me laugh with their familiarity. But also because I was imp
Merili
Oct 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
This book came off to a really strong start, but it got a bit dull after the first half. I really enjoyed the medical stories, but some of the others came off as a bit random to me (like the one with kayaking and wolves... what...), and I have to admit I did skip a few of the not-so-medical stories. Overall, this book gives a good overview of the everyday life of an ER doctor and family physician. Although it did take me a while to get through this book, I did enjoy most of it.
Kristina
Jun 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Very entertaining. Highlights some major problems in our Emergency Room system and the way people approach healthcare (NO, you can not get your doctor to sign a form saying it is medically necessary for you to live on the ground floor just because you dislike stairs. You are physically capable! There are people who actually are not capable...). Mostly humorous but still recognizing the difficult, emotional aspects of medicine.
Koren
Jun 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor, medical
This guy has a great sense of humor. At times it seems like a lot of complaining but in a sarcastically humerous way. Being in the medical field myself, I can totally identify with a lot of the stories. I will say, if you are not in the medical profession there is a lot of terminology that might go right over your head but if you want to know what your doctor is REALLY thinking, this is a good read.
Isabel
Feb 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great read! Insightful for those considering medicine, rural medicine, ER medicine or family medicine. May need to be in the healthcare field to understand his humor. Loved the anecdotal style because it's really easy to pick it up for just 2 minutes and read a random piece.
Anastasia
May 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Quick and entertaining. I'm sure we share the same patients. Sounds very familiar.
Jacqui