Start by marking “If Looks Could Kill” as Want to Read:
If Looks Could Kill

If Looks Could Kill

Chris Jackson has secrets.

A wildly popular author of suspense novels, Chris hides away in the tiny town of Pyrite, Missouri, where she lives in a converted storefront and practices breaking-and-entering on local businesses.

Most of the citizens of Pyrite happily claim Chris as their very own celebrity. But the new police chief, Al MacNamara isn't one of them. Recently trans
Published October 16th 2012 by ePublishing Works! (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about If Looks Could Kill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about If Looks Could Kill

Anna Maria
Mar 21, 2019 rated it liked it
I must admit that it was not one of my favourite suspense novel books, I didn't like the heroine very much as many things are troubling her and even if the plot is full of action and great suspense it didn't convice me so much.
Vicki
May 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Weirdly, this book is a comfort read for me. I have read it five or six times. I am not completely sure why as there is violence and suspense and darkness. Perhaps it is that the darkness is confronted.

The heroine, Chris, is a novelist. She is described as writing mysteries though the descriptions of the books sound like they are close to horror, as well. As the book begins, someone is copy-catting her books, setting up murders that are almost identical. Although Chris can write a good murder/ho
Kaitlyn Dunnett
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery-not-cozy
How on earth did I miss reading this one when it first came out? It's not one of Eileen's medical thrillers, but it sure has plenty of action (and blood!). Fast paced, fascinating in its insights into coping with psychological problems and phobias, and also a first rate mystery, playing fair in the dropping of clues department but with some nice twists to keep the reader from figuring things out too soon.
Valerie
Jun 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a great book! I really enjoyed trying to figure out who was the killer. I had my thoughts toward the middle of the book, but there were so many twist that I started to confuse myself with my actual decision, lol. This book can definitely mess with your head a little. This is the first book I have read by this author and I look forward to reading more by her.

Poor Chris, I totally felt for her and how she was trying so hard to deal with her issues. I thought Mac's character was great, and I l
Chetta
Sep 19, 2014 rated it it was ok
Cynthia
Dec 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
A good solid mystery about a troubled writer who secrets away to a small town to write her murder mysteries. From the beginning you realize that something is troubling her, keeping her awake at night and possibly fueling her creativity. When she learns that someone is killing people in ways that mirror her writing she begins to wonder if there is a serial killer or is it she who is committing the crimes. Of course every good mystery has a little romance and in this one there is the developing re ...more
Black Butterfly
Jul 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: ADULTS
Recommended to Black Butterfly by: AMAZON
Shelves: mystery-romance
TO DRAWNED OUT AND I REALLY DIN'T LIKE EITHER OF THE LEAD CHARACTERS MAC & CHRIS. STORY TAKES PLACE IN THE SMALL TOWN OF PYRITE, MISOURI IN THE OZARKS AROUND THE EARLY 1990'S. THE TOWN REMINDED ME OF TW0 OLD TV SHOWS I REALLY LOVED "PICKET FENCES" & "THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW, MAYBERRY RFD" WITH A LITTLE TOUCH OF "TWIN PEAKS". THIS TO ME SAVED THE BOOK I MEAN THE RESIDENTS WERE ALL REAL SPACE CADET'S BUT VERY ENJOYABLE. THE MAIN LEADS HAD SO MANY ISSUES THEY WERE MORE MENTAL THAN THE TOWNSP ...more
Liz
Aug 28, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not terrible, but the heroine had much too much drama in her head that wasn't explained until quite late. Lots of description of her being frightened of the dark and how it made her feel, but it felt like Drama Queen overreaction. The villain is a bit inexplicable, even after the screaming explanation.
Pamela
May 31, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, reviewed
One of the worst mystery books I've read in a while. What a long, drawn-out, boring story. Hated it on so many levels. I didn't like the story, the characters or the writing.
Lee Anne
Aug 31, 2013 marked it as to-read
Very slow...I got to around page 100, maybe will give it another chance in a while...
Mel
May 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites-2
I'm just a big fan of clever. Hate the covers of the books, because they're obviously there just to catch the eye and have NOTHING to do with the contents. I'm on my third copy.
Jackie Flaum
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
How beautifully written and how powerfully it draws you in with rich characters--a town full. It has been a very long time since an author so moved me and compelled my involvement. What a story! Unexpected twists yet oddly expected. Why has it taken me so long to find this author?!?!
Barbara S. Collins
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book

I thought this was even better than her previous books and I have liked them all. She certainly can keep you on the edge of your seat. This is definitely a five star read. Virgo 70
L.Hancox
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. Plenty of action, great suspense, surprise ending. The only downfall is that it contained so many typos. I wanted to edit the book as I read it on my Kindle. Frustrating!
Linda
May 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved it. A spell-binding thriller that grabs on and won't let go. You want to keep reading to see what will happen, but at the same time you don't want it to end. i would highly recommend it.
Laurie Brown
Jun 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great finish!
gwen graves
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely intriguing

I loved this story and it had the most interesting characters. It is one of those books you find hard to put down.
Danielle
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Valerie Sikes
Aug 10, 2018 rated it liked it
There was too much introspection on the part of Chris, the main character. That got old quickly. It dragged along for me and I ended up skipping or quickly reading parts of it to get to the point of what was going on. I'm glad I finally finished it because I started to give up on it several times.
Julie Griffith Buckley
Very different than Dreyers usual work. Enjoyed!
BK Blue
Jul 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book, and I have read it several times. I own a copy, or at least I did. Come to think of it... Where is it?

Okay, ordered a copy from Amazon and it finally arrived today. As soon as I finish reading all the other book, I plan on re-reading this one.

***Updated***

Aaaand I lost that copy. Now I need to get a new copy. Again.

Anywho, this is a great book. It's like an old comfortable blanket for me at this point, since I first read it in the 90s and have read it several times since. The M
Jeanie Jackson
May 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense

Somehow this one really fit me even though there was serious suspense and some darkness. Chris Jackson is an author who writes thrillers. Her childhood was awful but she has found a town that has become her home and family. She still has problems dealing with the horror her childhood and they only become worse when a detective from a St. Louis contacts her about murders that are patterned after her books. The new chief of police is facing demons of his owns and recognizes them in Chris. He is ex
Marla Madison
May 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the rich characters in this book. And really enjoyed the slowly developing relationship between Chris and Mac. The mystery of who was committing murders based on the books Chris had written keeps the reader guessing until the very end.
The ending, however, for me was disappointing. For one thing, it went on and on way too long. It seemed like the killer was so far removed from the rest of the storyline that the reader kind of wanted to say, "Huh?" It was too incredible for me.
That said,
Dixie Conley
Sep 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, reviewed
So far the only Dreyer book that is not based in a medical setting, it is nonetheless my favorite. The main character, a writer named Chris Jackson, is easy to relate to, both with her reclusive lifestyle and her muddy past. A murder mystery writer, the murders in her books are being reinacted in real life by a serial killer. The characters in the book are almost more enthralling than the murders, which are vividly described and hard-to-forget. The outcome of the book was a big surprise to me, w ...more
J.S.
Jul 30, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This would have been a very well written psycho thriller and gotten a rave review from me. Would have been if the author had not resorted to a worn out cliche: Christian bashing. In this book she paints Christians as a bunch of under-educated, murderous child-abusers without a single redeeming trait in a single character. This is both old and insulting. IMHO it is time Christians began to revolt against this type of treatment. It has gone on quite long enough.

Get some imagination, Ms. Dreyer, an
Kim
Sep 01, 2013 rated it liked it
It was suspenseful but not really scary. There were times when I felt "enough already, just tell him!" but I guess that's the whole point of suspense. I felt maybe I was missing part of the story, wondering if there is a prequel or maybe another book that is about Macnamara. Maybe I should look into that...
Pattie
Aug 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I gave this 4 stars because the characters are well- developed and very likable. The story kept my interest. The conclusion seems rather far-fetched, though, and much of the book is rather artificially cryptic. I also hope that by now the author and her editors have learned how to spell Volkswagen.
Marilyn Groves
Apr 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense, thriller
One of my all time favorite books, read multiple times. I love the main character, with her sharp sense of humor and many secrets. Ms. Dreyer fills the small fictional town of Pyrite, MO with interesting characters to interact with - all the while pulling us along in a murder suspense. Love it :-)
Sonia Schneider
Aug 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. It is one to which I return and reread. Chris Jackson is a smart ass, and I appreciate that. Chris' carefully organized life begins to unravel when a murderer copycats the books she's written.
Wench
Dec 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
TW: murder, including gun and knife violence, stalking, pedophilia, child abuse, sexual assault, mental illness (including conflated with violence), psych hospital
Goodreads Librari...: Incorrect initial publication year 2 14 May 25, 2016 04:30PM

• The Shadow Walker (Inspector Nergui #1)
  • Crazy Like a Fox (Lil and Boris #3)
  • To Love a Stranger
  • Blood Relations (Torie O'Shea, #6)
  • Let's Call The Whole Thing Off
  • Backstab (Francesca Vierling Mystery, #1)
  • Queen of Wands (Special Circumstances, #2)
  • The Day After Yesterday
  • Lie Still
  • Just Pretending (Hearts to Follow #1)
  • Ulterior Motives
  • Under the Hill
  • Killing Matt Cooper
  • Our Second Chance (The Chances Are Series #1)
New York Times bestselling, award-winning author Eileen Dreyer, known as Kathleen Korbel to her Silhouette readers, has published 28 romance novels, 8 medico-forensic suspenses, and 7 short stories.

2012 sees Eileen enjoying critical acclaim for her first foray into historical romance, the Drake's Rakes series, which follow the lives of a group of British aristocrats who are willing to sacrifice ev
“Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way. —Leo Tolstoy Anna Karenina” 0 likes
“If you talk to God, you are praying; if God talks to you, you have schizophrenia. —Thomas Szasz” 0 likes