Start by marking “Behind the scenes” as Want to Read:
Behind the scenes

Behind the scenes

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  32 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Catlin Ryan is determined to escape her dreary life in a beachside caravan park. Abandoned by her alcoholic mother, she dreams of a life on the stage and is prepared to work hard to get it. So when she is offered a starring role on her favourite television series, Catlin does not think twice about taking it. But fame comes with a set of new challenges, long hours, spoiled ...more
Published March 31st 2013 by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about Behind the scenes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Behind the scenes

Sarika Patkotwar
Apr 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Actual rating- 3.5

*NOTE: We (The Readdicts) received a copy of Behind the scenes from author Kathryn White in exchange for an honest review. We thank Kathryn for the book!

Catlin Ryan is an 18 year old Australian who gets a perfect score in English and Psychology and aspires to become an actress. She is overjoyed when she is cast to play a role in the famous Australian drama soap, Angel Street. Catlin, although excited to start her acting career, has no idea how stressful and irritating it gets
Aprille
Aug 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Behind the Scenes by Kathryn White.

The thing I loved most about this book was how relatable it was. Living in Adelaide myself and being familiar with the lower suburbs, it was easy to picture the environment that Catlin lived in, as well as the characters who surrounded her home life.

The book begins with a fairly heart-wrenching event, one which I WAS NOT expecting, but it sends Catlin on a spiralling, life changing track... for the better. After landing a part on the hottest Australian drama o
Carissa
Jun 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
I have mixed feelings about this novel written about Kathryn White...On one hand, White took the "bad life, suddenly mega-star" cliche and made it really unique and original. On the other hand, Behind the Scenes is an indie novel, so naturally, its going to have some grammatical and spelling errors. There wasn't enough to be distracting in Behind the Scenes, though! *cheer*
Caitlin is a few months away from getting married, at age 18, to Johnny, who ridicules her acting. "It's stupid!" he compl
H.M.C. H.M.C.
Jun 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Catlin Ryan doesn't fit in with her South Coast caravan lifestyle, perhaps even her friends and fiancé. In the hopes of becoming a famous actress she not only lands the part of her dreams but she also ends up untangling an emotional mess of a past which her subconscious mind was burying. Behind the scenes not only looks at what goes on in the world of fame in Australia, it also looks closely behind the scenes of a young woman who wants nothing more than to find herself.
Princess Lulu
Apr 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kathryn White has outdone herself with this book, it has shown her growth as an author. There are many twists and turns in this story making it a pleasurable read. Catlin Ryan is a multidimensional character and is one you want to hear more about. I would really love a follow up from this book. I can't wait to read more of Kathryn White's work, especially if she continues to produce works of this magnitude.
Lasaki Redbird
Mar 31, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
awesome reads of the year! very nice book. i would suggest everyone to go for it. just loved how the author potrayed the character and the real face of it,loved it!
Alyana Laddaran
Apr 24, 2013 rated it it was ok
Behind the Scenes most certainly lives up to its name. Using Australia as its backdrop, this is a story revolving about what actually happens in Hollywood—something that the papaparazzi doesn’t quite know about. With an actress as its protagonist, the reader gets the real scoop of the events behind the scenes.

I have to admit that this is the first time I read a story set in Australia, and I found it refreshing. I’ve been reading a ton of contemporary novels lately, but still this novel was able
Court
Jul 29, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2013
I reviewed this book at MustReadBooksOrDie with my friend Shelley.

I am not constantly copying your rating, I swear! ;) But..Behind the Scenes...I liked it. I will probably say this a thousand more times in my life, but I am kind of obsessed with stories about fame. From bands to actors to pro athletes, I love it all. That might annoy some people, but I think it is fun because it is so far removed from how I live my life. I'm a nurse for crying out loud! I have to get the glitz and glamour somewh
Bret Jarvis
May 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book. Well written plot. Engaging characters. Won courtesy of goodreads.com giveaways.
Aussie Owned and Read Owned and Read
You know that feeling when you read a book and it’s like deja vu? I just had that feeling. BEHIND THE SCENES is a fascinating story of life as an rising actor in a soap opera, with a plot line that follows Every Other Book Ever.

Writing? The writing is quick-moving and engaging. It only falls into the trap of Must Explain Everything, which (as a reader) drives me crazy. We get told something happens, then the action is explained, and then the characters tell each other what just happened. I got i
Kathy Petrakis
Jun 28, 2013 rated it it was ok
I received this book as part of a giveaway and was looking forward to reading it. Unfortunately, I was quite disappointed. One of the reasons was because I knew the whole story from the first two chapters. I knew what would happen, who she would fall for etc so most the book was waiting for it happen rather than waiting to see what would happen.

I also didn't find parts of it plausible. For example, she hasn't seen her father since she was six and yet ends up going to live with him in Melbourne a
Holly My Socks
May 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The author takes a theme that has been done to death and makes it massively original. Catlin Ryan has just scored a gig on her favourite television show but there is so much other crazy shit that is going on in her life that it seems more like a backstory than the actual plot. The family secrets are a bit weird but it all works out okay in the end.
Kassy
  • Heritage
  • Campaign Ruby
  • Dear Vincent
  • Diet Starts Tomorrow
  • The Sword Dancer (Lovers and Rebels, #1; Tang Dynasty, #4)
  • Zombie Cinderella II: The Ball (Zombie Fairy Tales #6)
  • Christian in Training
  • Returned (Pendle Hill, #1)
  • Under The Influence (Harlequin Blaze #452)
  • Elijah's Conquest, Vol. 1
  • Jagged Little Pieces
  • Bad Behaviour
  • In the Shadow of the Lion
  • The Open Side
  • My Secret Life (Harlequin Blaze, No. 346)
  • Hell's Chimney
Kathryn White is an author, blogger and bookworm from Adelaide, South Australia. She graduated from Flinders University with a BA (Hons) in English Literature and has worked in a variety of fields, including a stint as a puppeteer. She has been an uncredited extra in two feature films.

Kathryn enjoys writing about young people who do not fit in socially, or who fail to meet the expectations of othe
More about Kathryn White