Start by marking “Birds of Prey, Volume 3: A Clash of Daggers” as Want to Read:
Birds of Prey, Volume 3: A Clash of Daggers

Birds of Prey, Volume 3: A Clash of Daggers

(Birds of Prey (2011) #3)

The Birds of Prey lose one member but gain another, all while the team itself is pulled apart by personal demons and a traitor in their midsts. Plus, Mr. Freeze is out of Arkham Asylum and looking for revenge on the Court of Owls! His first target? The newest member of the Birds team, Strix!

Collecting: Batgirl Annual 1, Birds of Prey 13-17
Published December 24th 2013 by DC Comics

To ask other readers questions about Birds of Prey, Volume 3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Birds of Prey, Volume 3

Jayson
(B) 72% | More than Satisfactory
Notes: It’s tedious, derivative pap, an aimless cry for attention: pumping up a nineties jam of gimmicks, sass and bloodshed.
Sam Quixote
Oct 27, 2017 rated it did not like it
Birds of Prey, Volume 3: A Clash of Daggers is the most braindead DC comic I’ve read since the last one; so, since yesterday! It stars a group of morons who, when they’re not arbitrarily fighting each other, are fighting a series of cookie-cutter villains in one repetitive story after another. It’s books like this that cause non-comics readers to look down on superhero comics in the first place.

There are three yawn-tastic storylines here: the Turds of Prey fight the Court of Owls, a shadowy and
Anne
Apr 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Also reviewed for Addicted2Heroines

Starling pulled out a guy's eyeball in this thing!
No, she didn't stab him in the eye. She pulled his freaking eyeball out and turned it around so he could see himself!
Sorry. It was my favorite part of the book, and I felt it needed mentioning.
And by favorite, I mean just the Birds of Prey stuff. Naturally, the Batgirl Annual #1 that starts the story off is supah-awesome. But I'd already read that one in Batgirl...something or other.
So, I don't think it really c
J'aime
Jan 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really liked the first volume of Birds of Prey but felt that the second volume went off the rails too much. Now, I’m torn over this third volume. It is better than the second volume, but it also shakes up the team...again.

The book opens with the fantastic Batgirl Annual #1, where she unexpectedly teams up with Catwoman for the introduction of a new character (someone’s gotta replace Poison Ivy, right?). Not only was the story action-packed, but the artist totally blew me away. I loved the hype
Sean Kennedy
Jan 17, 2014 rated it it was ok
(2.5 / 5)

First off, the Batgirl annual in this collection is stunning. Great story, fantastic artwork and an exciting guest star in the form of Catwoman. If only the rest of the volume was the same quality. This is also where the change of authors makes itself most apparent, and the Birds of Prey fall apart. We have already lost Poison Ivy, now we lose Katana as well. And to add insult to injury, we have a man join the team. And we have to be told in a series of jokes that just because he's on a
Aaron
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
This series has officially gone off the rails.

What started as a tense, carefully plotted action/mystery comic with sharp dialogue has devolved into a weak, character-free pile of fists and kicks. This volume totally abandons the cliffhanger ending of volume two in favor of a completely tangential story about Katana's sword getting stolen and taken to Japan. The Birds give chase, and then give chase some more, and then chase a little, and then fight, and then chase a tad more, and then it's over.
Brittany
Feb 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This volume contains Batgirl Annual issue #1 which i have not read since i am reading by issues instead of trades so as whats going on with Batgirl in her own series i do not know but i will be picking her up shortly but back to The Birds of Prey. In these issues you learn what it takes to really tick off Katana does she go all slice and dicey or does she make decisions that make her the bigger person or maybe a little bit of both you'll have to find out. Apart from Katana and her wrath a new ch ...more
Anchorpete
May 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Over a week ago, I wrote a review of X: Big Bad, and how disappointed I was by it. I talked about how I was sort of shocked that it could be so uninteresting, considering that Duane Swierczynski wrote it. It must have been a fluke, because, as is the case with this book, I pretty much enjoy everything Swierczynski writes.
In this trade we see a shift in the Line Up of the Birds of Prey, and a male Member comes on board, named Condor. I have always loved the Birds team, but more so when Barbara G
Andrew
Mar 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Another round of the Birds of Prey, and another shake up to the roster! Sad to see Katana go, but I'm digging Condor, and the other surprise member. Also, why is Starling working for Amanda Waller, everyone's most untrustworthy Alphabet Girl? What's really going on there? More to be revealed...great stuff!
The Sapphic Nerd
Sep 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
The art is gorgeous throughout. The story is stronger and much less scattered than Vol 2 and, as usual, the characters bring life to the story. Catwoman makes an appearance and is fantastic! Lots of amusing moments in this one, as well as some surprisingly heartfelt ones. And two new additions to the team, one in particular who promises to be interesting.
Amanda
Mar 03, 2014 rated it liked it
3.5 stars, this series really made me like Ev/Starling.. I enjoy her tough spirit.
Dan
Oct 24, 2014 rated it liked it
New team members,and not so exciting as last volume.
Joseph
Feb 20, 2014 rated it liked it
decent collection of stories. not as captivating as volume one, but still enjoyable. nice additions of Condor and Strix to the team. art is good without, fairly consistent.
Robert
May 16, 2014 rated it liked it
First look at Condor, hope to see more.
Ben Truong
Birds of Prey: A Clash of Daggers picks up where the previous volume left off, collecting the next five issues (Birds of Prey #13–17) of the 2011 on-going series with Batgirl Annual #1 and collects six interconnecting one-issue stories.

The first half of the trade paperback: "Swear By My Eyes", "Three Hours of the Condor", and "Sayonara, Katana" (Birds of Prey #13–15) has the Birds of Prey teaming up with Benjamin Reyes as Condor to take down the Dagger Clan, who has stolen Katana's Soultaker Swo
Chelsey
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
2.5 Stars

This has been my favorite volume so far. Unfortunately that's largely due to the inclusion of Batgirl annual #1. Without that installment Strix's character introduction into the group would have had no emotion. I feel like the addition of Condor is just odd and adds very little to the overall story and feel of the series. I'd rather see his parts replaced with more scenes about the orginal birds of prey members and Strix.

I'm starting to think this entire series will be very sterotypi
Edward
Aug 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
A better volume than the last with some really good art and a less choppy story. A big chunk of it was a Batgirl story written by Gail Simone with painted art by Admira Wijaya that comes into play later in the book. This one seemed to really find its footing as a series. Might have to pick up the rest now.
Jason Caldwell
Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
This volume seemed to lose its focus at first and was confusing as to why the setting was now Japan but it did resolve into a more cohesive story. I like the new team to a point. Strix is interesting but Condor is annoying.
Debra Cook
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
While trying to recoperate from working with Poison Ivy the team continues to fight an unknown foe.
Roman Colombo
Apr 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: dc
Sometimes it is way too clear when there are editorial issues. There was some interesting things going on wrapped up way too quickly.
mike ruth
Feb 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the the Bird's of Pray series

I have been reading all of them and I have enjoyed every moment of them,it is a great
Jacqueline O.
This volume of Birds of Prey consists of essentially three stories. In the first story, Commissioner James Gordon visits a Talon in jail. He's trying to get some information from her, but she's a Talon and a Mute, so his inquiries are a bust. However, Catwoman frees the female Talon. Later this Talon helps Catwoman and Batgirl in a fight against a group of Talons, led by a man who is organizing the arson of a series of buildings occupied by the poor in one of the worst sections of Gotham (and fr ...more
Annalisse
Aug 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
4.5/5 Stars

I'm now just working through the New 52 version of Birds of Prey and it has been my first foray with this team. I really enjoyed the first two volumes and the third did not disappoint. The Birds of Prey's current team is made up of Black Canary, Batgirl, Starling, and Katana but it seems ever-changing with a stint by Poison Ivy and new faces this issue. Volume 3 of this saga collects Batgirl Annual #1 and issues #13-17 of Birds of Prey.

I had previously read the Batgirl Annual but it w
J.
Jan 03, 2017 rated it liked it
This volume contains an opening episode that is entirely about Batgirl, and that issue is fantastic. The art is incredible, and the story is really well drawn up, which is more impressive given that it is so short.

The actual Birds of Prey stories to follow are somewhat lackluster. I feel like a lot of what has gone on in this series has relied too heavily on outside knowledge of the characters or having read something else. Enough is given to understand what is going on, but I don't feel like th
Todd
Aug 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
So uh Choke? Are we just forgetting about that then?

We start out with an unnecessary story from Bat-girl. It doesn't bring the book down because it's Gail Simone. It really just doesn't need to be here. I get that we're going to get Trix later on in this collection but that doesn't mean I need to see her origin really.

Katana has her sword stolen for some reason. This takes us to Japan for some reason. There's lots of fighting. This story is SUPER deep you guys. I know this sounds like I'm puttin
Kristen
Aug 12, 2015 rated it liked it
I liked this more than the second volume, but I still don’t love this series as much as I’d like. I love these ladies, like the banter, and Starling has already become one of my favorite DC characters (the snark!). The artwork is nice as well. I guess I just want a little more character depth out of the whole deal to balance out all the action. This particular plot with Katana wasn’t ultimately that engaging.

I really liked the addition of Condor (their token dude) and especially Strix to the tea
Cale
Apr 23, 2014 rated it liked it
This book confused me - it opens with the Birds of PRey annual, which I think was presented somewhere else too, so at first I thought I'd already read the whole book. But then it got to the main story, which was new to me. The book focuses on introducing a couple new characters, while retiring an older one. The dialog and story isn't as strong as the book was at Simone's height, but Swierczynski does write these characters pretty well, and got a couple of chuckles out of me. The main plot, about ...more
Shannon Appelcline
Jun 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics-dc, comics
Sadly, another mediocre volume of Birds of Prey. The characters are relatively flat and the plots just aren't that interesting. I've been picking these up from the library, but increasingly they're not worth reading.

Except the Batgirl Annual, which is pretty good, but not actually a Birds of Prey story, nor by the regular team ...
Cande
Aug 17, 2016 rated it liked it
The ‘mind control’ plot was really good; there was so much to talk about. And the arc of Poison Ivy on the last volume was awesome. The new plot isn’t so interesting. Or maybe it’s because the development is poor, and I missed Poison Ivy. But I still like the group, no so much the new member. (view spoiler)

I want to read the next one anyway.
Nicolas
Dec 08, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
The New 52 Birds of Prey is suffering from a major identity crisis. The old version was a fun team up book with characters that complimented each other well. It just doesn't work without someone filling the role vacated by Oracle. Why did they feel the need to put Barbara back in a cape? It's unnecessary. Also, I hate Canary's stupid 90's costume.

• Birds of Prey, Volume 4: The Cruelest Cut
  • Batgirl, Vol. 4: Wanted
  • Red Hood and the Outlaws, Volume 4: League of Assasins
  • Worlds' Finest, Vol. 2: Hunt And Be Hunted
  • Teen Titans, Volume 2: The Culling
  • Nightwing, Volume 3: Death of the Family
  • Batgirl and the Birds of Prey, Volume 1: Who Is Oracle?
  • Justice League Dark, Volume 3: The Death of Magic
  • Demon Knights, Volume 2: The Avalon Trap
  • Green Lantern: New Guardians, Volume 3: Love and Death
  • Batman: The Dark Knight, Vol. 3: Mad
  • Marvel's The Avengers Prelude - Fury's Big Week
  • Wonder Woman, Volume 3: Iron
  • Green Lantern, Volume 3: The End
Duane Swierczynski is an American crime writer who has written a number of non-fiction books, novels and also writes for comic books.

Birds of Prey (2011) (5 books)
  • Birds of Prey, Volume 1: Trouble in Mind