Start by marking “World's End” as Want to Read:
World's End

World's End

(Age of Misrule #1)

A dragon firebombs a freeway. Shape-shifters stalk the commercial district. The deadly Wild Hunt wreaks havoc on the highway.

The Age of Misrule has dawned.

When Jack Churchill and Ruth Gallagher encounter a terrifying, misshapen giant beneath a London bridge, they are plunged into a mystery that portends the end of the world as we know it. All over the country, the
Published June 28th 2010 by Pyr (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about World's End, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about World's End

Start your review of World's End
Jeff Martin
Sep 07, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I usually don't get into urban fantasy that much but I have to say I truly enjoyed this book, Chadbourn really knows how to set a scene and flesh out a character, and unlike some Authors he doesn't use this a a vehicle for his political or sexual beliefs. This book is about the old magic coming back to a modern world and he capture both the dread and the wonder with remarkable clarity. I simply can't wait to read the rest of the series.
Stefan
Jun 25, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
World's End is the first book in British fantasy author's Mark Chadbourn AGE OF MISRULE trilogy. The novel was originally released in the UK in 1999, and has been re-released in the US by Pyr in 2009.

World's End can probably best be categorized as dark contemporary fantasy. The setting is England, in more or less the present day. Jack Churchill ("Church") lives in London and is trying to cope with the apparent suicide of his girlfriend Marianne. Returning home one night, he has a terrifying
Steven
Aug 08, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012, urban-fantasy
A good premise can carry a story so far. After the premise is the characters and the language that makes or breaks a book. It's the difference between bad and mediocre, mediocre and good, good and great. World's End is rewarded with a good premise and then propels itself into mediocrity with poor characters and worse writing.

The characters are flat, boring, irrelevant. They speak in cliches and function like characters in a movie/story/comic book. They don't have any attributes that are
Dorian
Sep 25, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: other-ebooks
Jack Churchill and Ruth Gallagher meet when they both happen to witness a strange attack - a minor civil servant is murdered by a monstrous being which neither of them can describe clearly. The police say "mugging", but Church and Ruth are reluctantly convinced that something else is going on. As they try to find out what, things get ever stranger.

This is a story about what happens when magic, and magical beings, return to our technology-driven world. (It's not very pretty.) Church and Ruth find
Paul Weimer
Sep 19, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With Age of Misrule: World's End, Mark Chadbourn's oeuvre of Celtic gods and monsters returning, with catastrophic results, to the world, finally reaches U.S. Publication. Done in a handsome edition with great art by John Picacio, the book soon transports the reader into a world that starts off familiar.

Only at first.

We met a set of characters in-then contemporary Britain (the book was originally written in the 1990's). Jack, Ruth, Laura, Shavi, and Ryan slowly come together, under the
Casey
Sep 03, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
You ever read one of those books that has a great concept but very little follow through? That's what World's End is. The idea of this book, that the heroes need to bring the gods of Celtic mythology back to make the evil of the "old world" go away is intriguing in it's own right. It's a similar concept that Rick Riordian has been playing with in his Kane Chronicles series. Unfortunately the plot was rushed and things just seemed to happen. It felt like an action movie, not a book. Not a lot of ...more
Jason Chang
Nov 03, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Unfortunately, this book did not resonate well with me at all. This was my "Judge a Book By Its Cover" choice for 2009, and I probably should have paid heed to the old adage. My main issue with the book were protoganists that did not come alive, villains that did not come alive, and a story that did not come alive. At the midpoint, I seriously debated whether I should call it quits. I presssed on only to confirm my negative impression down to the last chapter. I will not be reading the rest of ...more
Briton
Sep 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: top-fantasy
An Awesome book! I found this a while ago on a shelf in an old bookstore, and when i finished this volume, i immediately went looking for the rest of the series.

Mark is a brilliant author, creating very realistic characters from every kind of background, and creates a scene that is totally popular these days, yet never taken from this point of view. I will not say much, but i will say its similar to the stories of gods coming back to our world, yet this one is totally different.

Warning: Mark is
World’s End is a masterpiece of Celtic lore and mythology. Though the details can be overwhelming, and the idea of a band of chosen people out to save the world is a rather exhausted concept, the book itself is worth reading. Chadbourn’s flowing prose and captivating story is nothing short of riveting and will whisk readers away on a wild ride through incredible myths.

Read my full review here:

Sud666
Jul 14, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Age of Misrule was a book that seemed very familiar to me as I read it, I realized that was because Warren Ellis's Injection is a rip-off of this concept. The ancient gods of the Celts are awakening and the Age of Reason is ending. Magic is returning. Apparently the Covenant between the Light and Dark as been broken. A select group of humans, the Brothers and Sisters of the Dragon, have been chosen by fate to restore the balance. These normal people must undertake a quest to recover ancient and ...more
Justin
Nov 17, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, to-buy
You hear an argument close by and you make in its direction to investigate. What you end up seeing is a man being murdered by a creature so hideous it makes you vomit then completely lose consciousness. That’s exactly what happened to Jack “Church” Churchill and Ruth Gallagher in Mark Chadbourn’s World’s End. The horrific experience has been permanently etched into their subconscious and it has changed their lives forever. Together they embark on a journey to find items that could save mankind ...more
Meghan
Jan 29, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book makes me SO MAD. The premise is unbelievably, compellingly good: creatures big and small from Celtic mythology are awakening in (roughly) modern-day Britain, and a band of regular folk find themselves called into the fray. It's SUCH. A GOOD. IDEA. The plot hung onto that just enough to keep me reading through what is some of the worst writing I've ever had to wrestle my way through. I'm actively annoyed by this fucking thing. I was rolling my eyes and cursing at the stupid thing as I ...more
Cathy
Swing and a miss. It has a lot of the elements I like but it just doesn't come together. It does get a bit better in the last third, but it still isn't good. For one thing, there's never any emotion in the book. I was curious to see what happened but I never actually cared about the characters. And most importantly, while the writing was pretty good in general, there's no good dialog or clever wordplay enough to make the very, very long book any fun when the plot is full of gigantic holes. I saw ...more
amanda
Mar 16, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are so many warring emotions going on when I look back on this read. Let's start with the positive: I really, genuinely love this plot. I know there's some people who have problems with old magics being mixed into a current day setting, but I don't mind it. I think it's more interesting if you can make it work & have it believable than creating an entirely made-up world where it'd be completely acceptable. It's much more interesting this way.

Now. Since I really don't have many
Zoey
Ancient gods and beings from Celtic myth are rising up and starting to walk in the modern world. Technology starts to fail, and modern life as we know it seems to be at risk. A small group of people - dare I call them a fellowship? - unite and go on a quest to seek out magical items to help face this threat.

Sounds great. I had this book on my Paperbackswap.com wishlist for months, and was excited to finally get it. Unfortunately I couldn't even finish the book. I gave up on page 54, after the
Stef
I started out by reading Jack of Ravens and then realized it was the first in a sequel trilogy to The Age of Misrule. I've only given this book 3 stars even though I really love fantasy, especially the aspects of Celtic fantasy that is woven into the story. I think I slightly ruined this story for myself because Shavi, Veitch, Ruth, and Laura have been seriously changed in Jack of Ravens and it took some time to get used to the characters that they were supposed to be. Its not that it gives me ...more
Reed
Sep 26, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Having heard such wonderful things about this series, with comparisons to old Charles De Lint and Guy Gavriel Kay, I was eager to try it out for myself.

I can see how folks would draw such comparisons, with Chadbourn's novel being firmly set in the urban fantasy realm. I guess the Kay comparisons are to his Fionovar Tapestry books, where "ordinary" people take up powerful, archetypal roles in the story.

The problem I had with the story was the characterization was quite weak. I enjoyed the world
Siobhan
Jan 30, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, urban-fantasy
Final verdict: 2 1/2 stars.

This one had potential but wasn't executed well. I picked it up based on the subject matter (the premise that the old Celtic gods were returning, and a post-apocalyptic world without technology), but there was too much going on, the characters weren't very likable, and certainly didn't come off as very smart. There was an awful lot of jumping around, location-wise, and the idea that most of the population of the country hadn't noticed the current events was entirely
Rob
...What to make of World’s End? After reading it I am left with mixed feelings. There are aspects of the story I liked a lot. Chadbourn is obviously very versed in Celtic mythology and he uses this to great effect in the novel. He also makes sure not to make his story into a black and white, good versus evil kind of book. On the other hand the plot is pretty standard in fantasy. I didn’t entirely escape the feeling I had read this book before. The final part of the book suggests the plot of the ...more
Linda
Sep 15, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was another book that I couldn't put down. Great characters, awesome world, and a moving plot. Some of his main characters are not my favorite, but then not every hero has to be likable.

Being a romance reader, the romantic plot in my opinion, is old and tired. I prefer my guys and gals to be self-aware enough that they realize what they are feeling and for whom. This is only the first book in the series, so I'm hoping for better development in this area in the next 2 books.

All in all, I
Amanda
Sep 07, 2010 marked it as so-bad-i-didn-t-finish  ·  review of another edition
Once again my high hopes were sooo far off and..Did I miss something? is this some sort of Christian fantasy? At times it seemed like it was then I would think, 'no, i guess not' but it just felt too much like one for my liking. Although this wasn't, by far, the only reason I disliked the novel. It had some well-written parts but they were so few and far between I couldn't take it anymore. I wish I didn't persevere through the 130 pages I did read.

Anyway, I won't rate it because I didn't even
Robert Underwood
Throw "Lord of the Rings", Del Toro's "Hellboy" movies, and Arthurian legend in a blender and you get Age of Misrule. A very fun and scary story that find 5 ordinary people charged with saving modern England from being overtaken by an evil force out of Celtic mythology. Well drawn characters, lots of surprises, highly recommended for fans of dark fantasy like American Gods and The Talisman. Note, this is for book one. I just ordered books 2 and 3 to finish the trilogy.
Isk
Sep 02, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Remind me never to read books where 'normal world' + fantasy intermix again. Please, just follow Rowling (who did it so well), and let the characters immediately accept that magic or what-have-you exists. I can suspend my disbelief if it means not having idiotic characters blabbering on about retardedly refusing to accept some minor fantasy even when they've already seen fucking dragons with their own fucking eyes.
Nate
Nov 03, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good, Celtic fun. The Sidhe come back along with a bunch of other pagan deities and species. A few humans catch on, the Brothers & Sisters of Dragons (which reads way too much as a politically correct terminology) and don't really do much, but somehow manage to stave off destruction for a little while. I'm interested to see how the rest of the series goes, but not really in love with any of the characters.
Jesslyn
I enjoyed the book enough to get the second in the series, but the characters don't seem able to EVER learn from their mistakes and act like they've never heard of magic before. I'm having a hard time relating to them
Shayla
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can not wait to see what is is in store. The Tuatha are ruthless from first presentation, but I cant wait to see how they end up engaging with the Brothers and Sisters of the Dragon.

I still don't like Laura, and I am not liking the little "romance" between her and Church. With all that she has been through she is my least favorite character.

Tom has had i rough and he seems very useful, though I still wonder if he has an ulterior motive.

Shiva has been broken and I hope he regains a little
Chris Hayes
I wanted to like this book. I really did.

A story about how the modem day world had to deal with the return of magic, and all the creatures of myth and legend?

That should make for a great story.

Unfortunately there's not a single likable character in the book. Not one. Everyone is constantly at eachothers throats. Hardly a civil word between the 5 main characters.

It took everything I had hoping for good character development, buy nope.

It's rare that I say this about a book I finished, but I'll
Lisa
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing

This book brings to life the end of the world in a whole new way. His characters are believable and as a reader you really feel for each a character as they face different trials and strains.
Renee
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you enjoy fantasy but are tired of all the cliche high fantasy stuff this is the story for you. Modern day, wide variety of characters, a lot of real world historical and present day references, and a characters that don't feel flat.
John
Aug 09, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Distinctive story, interesting motley crew of characters, plenty of Celtic mythology.... but the book could have used another copy-editing review and another read for tightening up the language.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Unexpected Joy of the Ordinary
  • The Invisible Ring (The Black Jewels, #4)
  • Family Magic (Hayle Coven #1)
  • In Safe Hands (DCI Anna Tate, #1)
  • At Your Door (DCI Anna Tate #2)
  • The Animals at Lockwood Manor
  • A Lesson In Dying (Inspector Ramsay, #1)
  • Hayle Coven Omnibus #2 (The Long Lost, Gatekeeper, Flesh and Blood, Full Circle)
  • Divided Heart / First Plane / Light and Shadow / Queen of Darkness (Hayle Coven #9-12)
  • The Switch
  • Angelology (Angelology, #1)
  • Would Like to Meet
  • Honor's Paradox (Kencyrath, #6)
  • Mistletoe
  • If You Only Knew
  • The Hod King (The Books of Babel, #3)
  • Bears Discover Fire and Other Stories
  • Attached: The New Science of Adult Attachment and How It Can Help You Find—and Keep—Love
A two-time winner of the prestigious British Fantasy Award, Mark has published his epic, imaginative novels in many countries around the world. He grew up in the mining community of the English Midlands, and was the first person in his family to go to university. After studying Economic History at Leeds, he became a successful journalist, writing for several of the UK's renowned national ...more

Age of Misrule (3 books)
  • Darkest Hour (Age of Misrule, #2)
  • Always Forever (Age of Misrule, #3)