Start by marking “How Wendy Redbird Dancing Survived the Dark Ages of Nought” as Want to Read:
How Wendy Redbird Dancing Survived the Dark Ages of Nought

How Wendy Redbird Dancing Survived the Dark Ages of Nought

4.17  ·  Rating details ·  24 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
At sixteen, Wendy Redbird Dancing flies her freak flag high; she’s a scary-smart white girl with a hippie mom, a missing father, and a rarefied Michael Jackson obsession. It doesn’t help that her mother just uprooted them yet again, this time from California to North Carolina. Now Wendy has to survive a new school and fight bullies who rule this Southern roost.

But one bla
Published March 2013 by Lyn Hawks

Be the first to ask a question about How Wendy Redbird Dancing Survived the Dark Ages of Nought

Dana
Apr 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: goodreads
What an amazing read!

Wendy Redbird is a 16 year old Sophomore who is quirky, sassy, savvy, and especially book smart. She is also, as any child vulnerable. At the young age of 10 she experiences a trauma from the hands of one of her mother's many boyfriends.

Along the way Wendy's mother moves them from place to place, state to state, looking for the perfect "settle" and has a man in the back up plans everywhere they end up. Wendy never gets a choice in the matter, and must put aside her desires f
Bob Mustin
Apr 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a heart-filled book. Wendy is tough, but she's vulnerable enough to trust; she's wise beyond her years, but she proves over and over that she's still a girl. Only a character with such resilience, such pluck, could make me want to read her story, then turn back to page one and read it again. Fairchild Hawks is a writer who knows how to develop characters in the depth they deserve. I suspect you'll hear much more of her writing in the future.
C. Clark
Apr 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Lyn Fairchild Hawks writes with an intriguing voice that captures me. I do not read young adult, yet I looked forward to the world of Wendy Redbird Dancing each and every night as I picked up the book to take in a few more chapters. The protagonist is real, tough, tender, believable, and heart-wrenching. The story very plausible. Wendy's thinking, and her reactions, make you feel so deeply for her. The story covers a serious issue that Ms. Hawks addressed adeptly, and I'm saving this book for yo ...more
Heather
May 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
(This review can be found on my blog The (Mis)Adventures of a Twenty-Something Year Old Girl).

When I came across this book on Goodreads, there was something about the blurb that made me want to read it, so when I got asked if I'd like to review it, I said yes instantly. While the first half of the book was a bit hit and miss, the second half really became interesting!

The title is a bit of a mouthful although interesting. I had a hard time remembering what the book was called due to the long name
Compulsion Reads
Dec 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
When you’re young and your mom is more preoccupied with her current boyfriend than you, it makes sense to find something to cling to. For Wendy Redbird Dancing it is Michael Jackson, or MJ as she likes to call him. In 2009, Wendy and her mother, Sunny move back to her hometown after Sunny goes through another break-up. For Wendy, this is just another stop on the carousel that is her life. In three months Sunny will have found and lost a new boyfriend and Wendy will be forced to make new friends ...more
May 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-first-reads
I absolutely loved this book! Written in first person, this novel shows us what it's like for teens to growing up in this difficult world today. Dealing with sexual abuse, race and many other things that plague teens in this day and age. Wendy struggles with her emotions a great deal. This book will draw you in. Loved it!

I received this through the Goodreads first read program in exchange for an honest review. Thank you!
Maria
Aug 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It is a wonderful feeling to read such a good book and know that the author is a friend. Wendy Redbird is a strong girl who becomes a woman and in the process learns the importance of faith and love. I absolutely loved it!
Written Melodies
2.5/5 stars; Review originally posted on my blog, Say Whaaat!?!

First off, the beautiful cover drew me to this book. The red, old-fashioned, worn-looking diary and sideways glance of the black-lined eyes peeking out from under a gray hoodie conveyed pages of juicy secrets. Though after reading the premise, I realized it was less juicy secrets and more of a series of events unfolding between the pages of the diary.

It took me awhile to get into the book, but I kept pushing. Wendy is snarky, sarcast
Lena Cox
Aug 03, 2013
Dianne
May 05, 2013
Robert Pyszk
rated it did not like it
Sep 12, 2013
Laura Piawlock
Sue
  • Where You Can Find Me
  • A Journey to the Four Kingdoms
  • 1-800-Mischief (The Loki Adventures, #1)
  • Long Gone Daddies
  • Flush
  • Cannibal Fat Camp
  • The Social Life of Ink
  • I Hate Martin Amis et al.
  • The Cool School: Writing from America's Hip Underground
  • Season of Magic: Holiday Box Set
  • Divine Secrets of the Ta-Ta Sisterhood: Pledging the Pink Sorority
  • Olives: A Violent Romance
  • A Call to Love
  • Immortal Light: Wide Awake
  • Recollections of Jerusalem
  • You're Perfect ... and Other Lies Parents Tell: The Ugly Truth about Spoiling Your Kids
  • Gently Down
  • The World Atlas of Street Art and Graffiti
Lyn Fairchild Hawks loves to write about gifted, weird, and wise youth. She is the author of Minerda, a graphic novella and collaboration with illustrator Robin Follet, and author of How Wendy Redbird Dancing Survived the Dark Ages of Nought, her debut novel in the Girls Outside series. Wendy's back story appears in The Flat and Weightless Tang-Filled Future, a collection of short stories. Lyn is ...more
More about Lyn Fairchild Hawks...