Start by marking “The King (Black Dagger Brotherhood #12)” as Want to Read:
The King (Black Dagger Brotherhood #12)

The King

(Black Dagger Brotherhood #12)

4.38  ·  Rating details ·  44,441 ratings  ·  4,459 reviews
Long live the King...

After turning his back on the throne for centuries, Wrath, son of Wrath, finally assumed his father’s mantle—with the help of his beloved mate. But the crown sets heavily on his head. As the war with the Lessening Society rages on, and the threat from the Band of Bastards truly hits home, he is forced to make choices that put everything—and everyone
Published April 1st 2014 by Penguin Group (USA)

To ask other readers questions about The King, please sign up.
Aisling Zena I don't think so Harriette. I haven't read this one yet but I have read all the others and even though the author might repeat what happened…moreI don't think so Harriette. I haven't read this one yet but I have read all the others and even though the author might repeat what happened previously I think there would be too much detail and events for you to keep track and read it enjoyably. Each book follows a different couple and this one continues the story of the couple in the very first book https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4... . I would recommend you read the first book either way,it's a pretty good series.(less)

·  44,441 ratings  ·  4,459 reviews

Lora
Hey, I just thought of something . . .

WHEN BETH GOES INTO HER NEEDING QHUINN AND BLAY WILL BE GOING AT IT LIKE RABBITS FOR HOURS ON END

*passes out*
________________________________________

Scroll down for exciting news on the future of the BDB series, tidbits about the Fallen Angels series, and info on the next book. But be warned: there are spoilers if you've not finished reading Lover At Last.

>The next book is about Wrath and Beth and is titled The King; it will be abLast.
Theout*
Scroll.
WHEN
xrysa
Mar 31, 2013 marked it as to-read
Eeeeeeeeeee we have the cover :D

Wrath looks scary but I love it!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Omg a 12th book???

They are going to try and have a baby!

But we have to wait until 2014.

Blacky *Romance Addict*

1. Wrath/Beth - LOVED! Every bit of it!!!!! Made me cry the scene where he shows the picture to everyone <3

2. Assail/Sola - First half of the book was good with them, I liked how he was (view spoiler), but then, in second half Assail turned into a p*ssy (pardon my language) and I didn't like him or Sola.

3. Trez/Selena - I don't give a sh*t about those two.

4. Xcor/Layl
• Lisa •
FIVE ALL HAIL THE KING STARS.

description

JR Ward has not failed me yet, this series is nothing short of phenomenal and I don't ever want to stop reading about this band of brothers. My fascination with
Georgia ♥ Team Dex ♥
4 Long Live the King Stars

To survive one must not be alone.
And one must have a partner of worth.
Possess that? And you are richer than any King or queen who e'er roamed the earth.

The players we know...
description

But the game is more painful than we could ever imagine...
desclass=

photo edYpA_zpsxerbgw8x.gif

Spoilers

First read 2014
Reread 4/13/2017

“I’m goin’ nowhere, leelan. You don’t worry about a goddamn thing. Understand me?” Beth wanted to believe him. Needed to. But she feared it was a promise far harder to keep than speak. “Beth?” “Make love to me.” It was the only truth she could put out there that wouldn’t burst the bubble. “Please.” He kissed her once. Twice. And then started to4/13/2017
“I’m
Midgetbee
Mar 31, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: a-ipad, x-2014, mine
If this was fanfiction it'd be good. But as an entry in the series by the actual author, it's bad. Very bad.

The series started off with the typical PNR conventions of insta-love, but ever since Lover Unbound was let down by a number of fans declaring an undying loathing for its heroine, Ward has branched out into a new form of story-telling. Whereas the first four concentrated solely on the main couple and their story, with a few fights in the war and a hint of subsequent couplings,
Taryn
Mar 30, 2013 marked it as to-read
SPOILERS!! SPOILERS!! SPOILERS!!

DO NOT READ IF YOU DON'T WANT SPOILERS

The intro to the signing in Ohio. March 30, 2013

- Wrath and Beth trying for a baby!
- Saxton is part of a major f
Exina
April 5, 2014
Sometimes, you didn’t get what you wanted.
But if you had all you needed?

The King is one of the most anticipated books of the year, book 12 of the Black Dagger Brotherhood series.

Book 11, Lover at Last was a huge disappointment, so I had no intention of reading further books of the series, but I’ve read it anyway.

Why?

Well, I realized this series is more and more like... no, actually it IS a soap opera. You don’t really want to watch, or read it anymore, but you want to know what happens to the chastars
The
Christy
Jun 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
5 Blind King stars!

photo 604d25c2-3648-4c8a-b417-80d7a846f473_zpsb9f110d8.jpg

I’ve been waiting all year for this book. The 12th book in the Black Dagger Brotherhood. I am obsessed with this series, can’t get enough of my boys. This author could write dozens more books and I would keep on reading. I loved the idea of going back to the beginning- to an original brother. I may have been a little
Stacia (the 2010 club)
I finally finished the book! My first in April, actually. Yes, it's the 14th. It's called real life, bitches. Sometimes books take a backseat.

By now, most of the die-hard fans who were going to read this have already done so. I've seen the complaints. I share a few of the complaints.

But it's Ward. She's like this comfort-food writer for me. Even when it's bad, I always know that I'll laugh a few times, and will get at the very least a few moments of good sexual tension. So I keep reading
Alex is The Romance Fox
3,5 stars
Do I like The Black Dagger Brotherhood Series???? No, I MORE THAN LIKE IT………………
 photo Black_Dagger_Brotherhood_by_AidanG_zps4b42bafe.jpg

I have a secret to tell..….I was absolutely shattered after Lover at Last….. photo wnoy5_zps6vkuydj5.gif
…yes I did. I lost my all-time favorite boyfriend… photo 58149773fb8f3eee55d2c5550a8a61df_zps0d57f9b6.jpg
…yes, Qhuinn left mIT………………
UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish
 photo e857035b-2e93-4977-a3af-466994976b3f_zps336c0bae.jpg

If you loved the earlier stories which were filled with passion and romance and happily ever afters obtained through faith, trust, honor, dignity, soul cleansing pain, and making compromises for the one you love because you love them above all else... you'll be happy to know that The King has all of these things, and more!

And that quote up there... "Let yourself go and I shall catch you..." applies to so many people and situations in this story - trust, faith, hope... beautiful things.

Full review to come.........
Erica Ravenclaw
Jul 27, 2013 rated it it was ok
☆ ☆

No spoilers and and definitely colorful language abound!

Oh, how the mighty have fallen.

Sigh.

The King is upon us, and as a loyal, albeit disgruntled fan, I proceeded with caution. Despite the arduous and at times hysterical journey, I have triumphed.

photo tumblr_inline_mnijcpINDA1qz4rgp_zps01e3a981.gif

It was exactly 3% that I realized the error of my ways. I like many of you awaited the publication of what I hoped to be Wards return to her former glory, reconnecting with the characters who started it all. With an omnipresent sense of dread I s
readtoomuch
Sep 18, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: expected-better
PSA: Gifapalooza

My internal reactions a few pages into the prologue went something like this

and this

description

Ward, you almost had me going there for a sec. Unfortunately, my feels didn't get much better as I read on.

PSA: Gifapalooza

My internal reactions a few pages into the prologue went something like this

and this

description

I was expecting the usual entertaining story, fun banter, cheesy lines, and a lot of kick-some-lesser-flatassery between the brothers.

description

Instead, I spent much of this 76 chapter book humming the theme song to Scooby-Doo, because the brothers of the Black Dagger Brotherhood were almost nonexistent.

description

I'm sad to say that I struggled to finish this book. I kept reading on hoping to get back into the BDB mojo, but there was no mojo to be found. Like Lover at Last, there were too many side characters with their own povs, and all of the side plots made for a frustrating read.

And what the hell is up with the name and brand dropping overload? It was fucking constant.

description

I like getting to know more about the side characters and all, but why the long ass chapters of Assail and Sola interspersed with short, lame ass I-want-a-baby/I-don't-want-a-baby drama between Beth and Wrath?? Who is this book supposed to be about? And the baby drama was so predictable, it was boring.

In conclusion, all I have to ask the J. R. Ward of the first few BDB books is

P
Apr 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
“Wrath - Beth x Overnight = Psycho-hose Beast”

I was so pleased that I had a chance to read Wrath and Beth's story again. The King was my favorite book of 2014. Although I reread it again this year, I still insist this is as good as the first book of the series where all the stories begins. Wrath overcame his blindness and live happily ever after with his shellan, Beth, in the last books. Yet in The King, Wrath has to face a new challenge when his Beth wants to have a child, that's not easy for him
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
I am not overstating to say that the release of the new Black Dagger Brotherhood series book is a highlight of my spring, and I view it as JR Ward's present to me for my birthday! That said, let's get to my review:

**Disclaimer: This review is as spoiler-free as I could make it!

Wrath, Son of Wrath and Beth Randall have come a long way since Dark Lover, and it's been my pleasure to accompany them on the ride!

When I first read Dark Lover (about eight years ago), I will

NEVER IGNORE A SUMMONS FROM THE KING ❤❤❤❤
Aestas Book Blog
Jun 19, 2013 marked it as to-read
Shelves: not-yet-released
OMGOMGOMGOMGGGG IT'S WRATH'S BOOK!!!!!

Ward said this will be about Wrath and Beth. They're going to try and have a baby!

March 25, 2014
❤️ Dorsey aka Wrath Lover Reviews ❤️
January 15, 2018~ (Audiobook) Reread

It’s been awhile since I’ve read this, I was getting twitchy and needed a Wrath fix. I’m still completely and throughly devoted to Wrath!!
 photo heart_turn_love_zps68f9eb25.gif  photo heart_turn_love_zps68f9eb25.gif  photo smitten_zps82ef75c9-1_zps3c608306.gif  photo heart_turn_love_zps68f9eb25.gif

5 Fantastic Royal Stars!!

We start this book with an introduction of Wrath’s parents, Wrath and Anha, I loved the insight into Wrath's parents. Their introduction, their mating, and the love they
Sophia Triad
Wrath, Beth and LW ( (view spoiler))

It is time for Wrath

1. to fall in love again (And for us to fall in love with him again):

“I can smell you,” he groaned against her ear as he ran his fangs up her throat. “The most beautiful thing in the world—except for your taste.”

2. To renew his vows to Beth:

“You have given me something ... I didn't even know I needed. It's the greatest gift I will ever receive--it's, li
/>
/>
MsMiz (Tina)
Mar 31, 2013 rated it liked it
Mayhap this was the worst book in the series- well no - the desecration of Qhuinn and Blay's story sucked really bad. Ah shit, no Tohr's book was bad....god, have they all recently gotten bad and we are just glutton's for this stuff? Verily JR Ward has gotten ridiculous with the slang, hip hop references, and the uneven old world language. With alacrity this may be the last book I read in the series. Mayhap...not sure.....Okay I lied - I would read Lassiter, Murhder, I'am, I may even be happy ab ...more
Kelena
Apr 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: All Alpha Vampire Beasts Shippers | Immortal After Dark | Dark Hunters
Review Posted on 4th April, 2014
---------------------------------------
4.2 "LONG LIVE THE KING" Stars

When you were without your husband, perfectly safe was relative.

Storyline:
Multiple Characters POV's, So there's not just one tale to get along with. An extremely hard task to keep the spirit of book and JR did an amazing job with that,
though it annoyed me sometimes.

Characters Development:
Wrath (King of Wrath I) & Anha
flash back of Wrath's father's life, how he married to Anha and ruled the vampire society.
"He was King, yes. But first and foremost, he was the hellren of this magnificent female—and ahvesociety.
Development:
sometimes.
CharactersStars
2014
4.2
Beverly
Apr 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’ll be honest I was not looking forward to this one, it actually took me a year to finally pick it up and read it. Mainly because I desperately wanted a book for other characters and was disappointed this book was going to be about a character who already had their story.

Well I was wrong, way wrong. I actually loved this one. I felt such a connection to Beth and was able to understand her desires. I felt like this story was so much more than the usual lesser slaying and loved how the story rea
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)

Describe The King in three words

Angela: Satisfying. Emotional. Blissful.

Francesca: Sad. Emotional. Heart-warming.

Suzanne: I Love Wrath

Annie: LONG LIVE THE KING (Yeah yeah, I cheated.)

Did reality of The King live up to the hype?

Angela: Yes! He certainly proved his worth and then some. It’s not a surprise who the people will pick.

Francesca: It certainly did, and in a way that I was not expecting. But Ward is so great at that. This book was magical.

Suzanne: For me…yes it did, in fact it exceeded my expectations! I wasn’t sure what another look at Wrath and Beth was going to entail, would it just be a retelling ofcheated.)
Did
Mona
Apr 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
**4.3 Long Live The King Stars**
"Why are you dong this?"
There was only one answer. For tonight...
and evermore:
"Because I love you more than anything else."

"Why
Auntee
Dec 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of the series
I think I've been saying (or thinking) this a lot about the last 5 or so books in the series--"It wasn't my favorite, but I liked it a lot."

There's nothing that can compare (to me) to the first 5 or so books in this series--they were simply outstanding and sooo addicting. That's not to say that there weren't some pretty good books to follow--I remember loving Rehv's book ( Lover Avenged and loving the one with Payne and Manny (Lover Unleashed), and Tohr's book (Lover Reborn, and okay I loved JM's book too (Lover Mine) but they're not books about the Brothers (except Tohr), so they're just a tiny step below. So even though this book was partly about Wrath, I didn't have unreasonable expectations going in. And, I was pleasantly surprised. Not knocked out, but very satisfied.

Highlights: ( possible spoilers ahead)

*Wrath and Beth are at odds. Beth wants a baby, Wrath does not. Wrath hates much of the details that go in to being a King, and has moments where he wouldn't care if he was toppled from the throne. Until he has his eyes opened (not literally, unfortunately) and sees a better way to rule...
Loved everything about this storyline. I thought we knew all about Beth and Wrath, but Ward has way more to tell.:)

Wrath...
 photo wrath7_zps95a0c01f.jpg

Beth...
 photo bethbdb_zpsa55b0fba.jpg

*Drug dealing, cocaine sniffing Assail saves Sola from kidnappers, and they hook up. It's hot, it's exciting, but Marisol sees no future in it if Assail can't give up his lifestyle...
This storyline is far from over. Marisol may have moved far away, but Assail is constantly on her mind.
I'm really starting to get into this sexy couple...

Assail...
 photo assail_zps281c3287.png

*Trez is getting tired of nailing everything in a skirt and is doing everything he can think of to avoid his unwanted future. What he'd really like is a chance with the Chosen Selena (who really wants him until she finds out about his past). he makes a deal with the Queen's bodyguard that may buy him some time...
I haven't been too interested in Trez until now. His storyline is starting to intrigue me and I like him with Selena. But I am also interested to see the person he's been promised to and has never met.

Trez...
 photo trez_zps62218dea.jpg

*JM is having seizures and they're connected to his relationship with his "sister" Beth. Will they ever realize that he's Darius reincarnated?

*Xcor gives up his quest for the throne in order to be with Layla. How is this going to play out? I'm dying to find out! What will Qhuinn think of Layla with Xcor? What will everyone think? Could this possibly be a love match? I can't deny that Xcor intrigues me too...

Xcor...
 photo 0c889a93-683d-4062-94c3-bbe1a78fd765_zpse5b723c6.jpg

*iAm--I never gave you much thought but now I want to know more, more, more! I love your relationship with your brother, and I really liked how you were there for Beth. And your sexual history compared to your brother's? What?! I hope JR Ward rewards you with a nice juicy storyline!

*Wrath's parents love story--loved it! Loved how it compared and contrasted with Wrath and Beth's love story. Many similarities, but a lot of differences too. Nice bit of storytelling and beautiful connection between the King and the BDB.

With this book, I think Ward has wrapped up Beth and Wrath's story. A whole lot happens to them but they come out of it better than ever--and happy. And I didn't realize only 2 years have passed since they were married (2 years--really??)
Anyway, Wrath really comes into his own as a ruler and a husband in this story, and Beth proves herself a strong woman and his perfect queen. Love this couple.

The rest of the storylines are all left dangling, to be dealt with in the future. Some of these stories have been around for a couple of books, so I hope Ward completes at least one of them. Every time I start a new BDB book it takes me a little time to get reacquainted with the characters, so the first couple of chapters can get confusing. That's how it was with this book--a lot to remember at first, but then Ward's sure hand and storytelling skills kicked in and it was smooth sailing from then on. The book became unputdownable annnnnd had a really happy ending. Really happy.

If I could have one wish for this book it would be to see more of the "Brothers". In this book we mostly see JM and V and Doc Jane, and that is in small roles. The rest of the brothers either had 'cameos' or just a mention. I realize Ward can't include scenes with every Brother but I wouldn't mind reading 100 or more pages if she could give us an update on the Brothers and their shellans, true?

An entertaining read that should appeal to fans of the series and leaves you hungry for more? 4 stars, easy; maybe even 4 1/2
Sharon ∞❥ is an emotional book junkie ❥∞

So we all know this is "suppose to be" Beth and Wrath's book and about them wanting/having a baby and while it's certainly that, it's just so much more!

I have a love/hate relationship with JRW's writing and I think the deeper she gets in this series, the worse it is. In certain chapters, she was bouncing all over the place and it was a hot mess. But... it also allows her to give us many more stories and I do love that.

However, it did take till about 20-30% for me to really get into the book and at 592 pa
* Meli Mel *

♥♥♥ 4.25 "All Hail The King" STARS ♥♥♥

What a story. It was quite the long read with SO many things going on but I really enjoyed this one.

I'm sensing a new pattern with this series since the previous book. The books from now on will seem to no longer just be about th
Jen
Where to begin with this one?? For starters, I will say that I was so looking forward to this book. I swear that once a year just is not enough for the BDB series. I was nervous about this book because my expectations were through the roof, and whenever I have high expectations; I am usually let down in some way. Unfortunately, in some ways I was let down; however the story certainly wasn't drastically bad. My biggest complaint was that I just didn't get enough of my wonderful origional brothers ...more

• Crave The Night (Midnight Breed, #12)
  • Eternal Demon (Mark of the Vampire, #5)
  • Immortal Rider  (Lords of Deliverance, #2; Demonica, #7)
  • Shield of Winter (Psy-Changeling, #13)
  • Bound by Flames (Night Prince, #3)
  • The Darkest Craving (Lords of The Underworld #10)
  • Dark Skye (Immortals After Dark, #15)
J.R. Ward is the #1 New York Times bestselling author of numerous novels, including the Black Dagger Brotherhood series. She lives in the South her family.

Black Dagger Brotherhood (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #1)
  • Lover Eternal (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #2)
  • Lover Awakened (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #3)
  • Lover Revealed (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #4)
  • Lover Unbound (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #5)
  • Lover Enshrined (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #6)
  • Lover Avenged (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #7)
  • Lover Mine (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #8)
  • Lover Unleashed (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #9)
  • Lover Reborn (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #10)
“Rhage raised his hand " Pastor Ass-hat, I have a question." "Yes my son, you are going to hell” 125 likes
“There was a sniffle from the crowd. At which point, Rhage’s voice hissed, “What. This is beautiful, ’kay? Fuck all y’all.” 82 likes