Start by marking “Tearstone” as Want to Read:
Tearstone

Tearstone

Two brothers scarred by a dark family secret. A deputy consumed by the decade old disappearance of her cousin. An old man summoned to the humble town of Washington Heights by the discovery of an ancient artifact.

The haphazard unearthing of this stone relic, hidden from history, strips the townsfolk of their daily facade and forces them to confront their secret lives. As on
Published March 29th 2013 by Belfire Press

To ask other readers questions about Tearstone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tearstone

Cthulhu Down My Chimney 2Night
Review of Tearstone by David L. Day
5 stars

This is how Horror should approach us: less like turning over stones to see the insects crawling underneath, more like pacing down a staircase into the Underworld, a staircase that spirals and presents new horrors at every turn. I wouldn’t want to be a witness to the inside of this author’s nightmares, but what a wonderful story they have produced. On the surface, a simple prodigal-son-returns-to-home-town-at-parent’s-death; but that’s the surface, that’
Ron
Jul 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
First of a planned trilogy involving the tearstone, an ancient relic of mysterious power. The story builds gradually, weaving separate threads into a horrific tapestry. The strong characterization, small-town setting, finely crafted prose are evocative of Stephen King and TEARSTONE should appeal to fans of his work.
Ron
Jun 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Tearstone is a disturbing tale of what I'd consider small town America. David Day constructs truly interesting characters that are identifiable and play perfectly off of the story's plot. I found the book to be a fascinating read and got through it in only a couple of days. Entertaining from beginning to end. Keep this book on your 'best of' shelf and make your friends jealous. Trust me on this one.
Benjamin Ethridge
Dec 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Very often when reading popular genre fiction a reader can encounter an entertaining story but be left with very little afterward. TEARSTONE is engaging and contains characters that you want to know more about as the story progresses. For my money, that's what will keep me returning to Mr. Day's work. Recommended!
Rich D.
Jun 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Copy provided by author in exchange for an honest review

David L. Day's debut novel Tearstone is a tricky one to easily summarize in the context of a review. Rather than focus most of his attention on a single character, Day writes from numerous characters' point of view. There is Tom, who returns home to Washington Heights shortly after the suicide of his father. Elana, the town's elderly librarian who is driven largely by her faith. Shane, a disturbed child who becomes a force of evil later in
Daniel
Oct 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
A stone relic is unearthed in a small town stripping the citizens of their inhibitions, revealing the truth they hide behind their everyday masks. an old man is summoned upon the town as an old evil is about to be reborn. Can two brothers reunite after the death of their father, or will they be among the victims of the relic.

Tom Burton returns home for his father's funeral with hope of reuniting with his brother Kyle. Their relationship ragged and raw from Tom's departure after a tragedy involv
Cait
Dec 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved the book. It was well written enough to keep me interested in it. Yes jumping around from character to character at first was confusing, but after the third or fourth time of reading about one you start to understand the character a little better. The depth of the horror and uncomfortable feelings each had, you could feel with them. I will admit I was freaked out by the little demon boy.
The only bad thing I can say is I wish it would have described his time with the shaman a little bett
Karen M
Oct 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, first-reads
I'm one of those persons who, when they read a horror story, keep thinking 'scare me, scare me'. Well, this one scared me, in fact, some parts of it down right horrified me.

It had the classic slow build to a feeling of creepiness and then on to full-blown horror. You are fed the story bit by bit, person by person, incident by incident and then it starts to all tie together. The final culmination is big but you are left on a very eerie note. Very well done!

A cast of quirky characters with lots of
Jessa ♥dhanger♥ EvilDarkSide
2.5 STARS

A decent horror story. It definitely had the disturbing factor going for it. There were lots of sinister things going on in this small town and some of it was down right creepy. The downside for me was the multiple POV's (and by multiple, I mean at least 10 or so) and the bouncing around in the story/plot. I don't mind viewpoints from a few different characters but this was a bit too much for my preference. I would have also liked a little more back-story on the origins of the stone. I
Maryjo
Oct 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I won a copy of this book in a first reads giveaway.

Wow! What a good frickin book! Nothing I can say will give this book the justice it deserves. Very well written, it's hard to believe this is Mr. Day's first novel. Wow! Just go get a copy and read it and then you'll see what I mean. Can't wait for the next book from Mr. David L. Day!!!
Dennis Colburn
Jul 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
I love horror books. Especially ones set in contemporary settings. David's description of the town and the characters really helps setup the feeling of foreboding and despair that some of the characters experience. His style reminded me of both Cormac McCarthy and Stephen King.
Fredrick Danysh
Nov 12, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: advance-read
Following his father's suicide, Tom returns home after a ten year absence. His father left him a stone with mysterious properties affecting human nature. The book bounces in past and present telling the stories of several characters. This was a free advance reading copy. Autographed copy.
Rachel Palmer
Jun 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Tearstone is an unique, well - written, and gripping novel. I felt a real connection with the characters. How the novel unfolds is surprising and terrifying.

This is not the genre I normally read but this novel has me reconsidering. I would definitely read more from this author!
Carla Anderton
Aug 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Tearstone is a gripping page turner that grabs you from the get go and keeps you hooked until the final page. Looking forward to future works by Mr. Day.
Oubucks2002
Apr 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Captivating, enthralling, something about this book...I just didn't want to put it down.
Roy Huff
  • The Anomaly
  • Graced Filled Marriage: The Missing Piece, The Place to Start
  • Amid the Ashes and the Dust
  • Husk
  • The Sun, the Moon, the Stars and Maya: A Collection of Little Sayings about Enormous Things.
  • Stonefly
  • The Lydecker Mysteries: Vol. 1
  • Crossings (The Harry Reese Mysteries, #2)
  • Blood and Roses
  • Cats at Sea (Anton and Cecil #1)
  • Dead Insider (A Loon Lake Mystery #13)
  • Nick and Tesla's Super-Cyborg Gadget Glove: A Mystery with a Blinking, Beeping, Voice-Recording Gadget Glove You Can Build Yourself
  • A Search for Purple Cows