Start by marking “After Hours” as Want to Read:
After Hours

After Hours

A dangerous infatuation with a rough and ready man…

Erin Coffey has been a nurse for years, but nothing’s prepared her for the physical and emotional demands of her new position. Needing to move closer to her dysfunctional family, she takes a dangerous job at Larkhaven Psychiatric Hospital, where she quickly learns that she needs protection—and she meets the strong, over-co
Published April 16th 2013 by Intermix/Penguin

To ask other readers questions about After Hours, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about After Hours

Baba
4.5 stars. Reread May 2016. Review edited May 8, 2016

photo oie_kYGSVOfCDEKB_zpshc342xej.gif

I enjoyed Willing Victim very much, but I think that After Hours is better. Much better, that is. There is more meat to the bone and the story is longer and also better developed. Though I think that Flynn is superior when it comes to dirty talk.

After a somewhat bumpy beginning, I really did warm up to Kelly. I love his smile, his motivation for working as an orderly in a psychiatric ward and his irresistible skills as a lover. Let's face it:
Karla

4 1/2 Real Man Stars! Kelly Robak...RAWRRRRR!! I loved it!

“There’s four things a real man has to be able to do for a woman.”
“Exactly how many man-lists do you have?”
He let my wrist go and ticked the items off on his fingers. “Fix her car. Grill her a steak. Kick the ass of any guy who makes her cry. And fuck her so hard she wakes up half-crippled.”

I have a flat tire (I punctured it myself)...check, I'm hungry...check, I know just the man who needs an ass kickin' ...check, and I have a pair of
Jennifer Kyle
Jan 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
4 STARS

"We got a little something between us, don't we?"

description

I’ve come to realize that Cara McKenna never delivers the typical simple smut read. Her stories always have such depth with complex characters and in this one believe it or not, the couple meets working at a psych hospital! She even ties in Cousin’s Correctional Facility into the story from her book Hard Time. The hero in this book is a dominant personality but not to the extreme.

description

Erin Coffey is a independent big sister who has raised and
Jill
May 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jill by: ...

Kelly Robak. We call him the Disorderly.

Erin Coffey can at last put some of her hard-earned nursing skills into practice and get paid for it. After caring for her grandmother until she died, Erin lands a job in a male psychiatric ward. On her first day at Larkhaven she meets Kelly Robak, one of the orderlies. At the first sight of tall, built, bruiser, Kelly, Erin mistakes him for one of the patients. It's not too long before the attraction they both feel, heads into a sexual relationship.

Hav
SueBee★bring me an alpha!★
Mar 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to SueBee★bring me an alpha!★ by: Baba ♥♥♥ Marcus, Tyler, Tate, Dan, Ty, & Hunter

★★★★1/2! A reflective & captivating journey of personal growth & sexual explorations with a memorable, in control & sexy hero, Kelly.

“Right now, though, the world spun on Kelly’s c~ck. The sun rose and set around it, and I wanted it like I’d never known I could want anything.”

After Hours is the second book I have read by Cara McKenna. She does an excellent job of capturing real characters -genuine and tangible people with self-reflection and a non-perfect past. Though very muc
Stacia (the 2010 club)
Mar 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Stacia (the 2010 club) by: Regina

3.9 stars. Yes, I'm being difficult with going so close to the solid 4 and not giving that extra tenth of a point. While I found myself fully immersed in this dark, quiet, sinful story with no major complaints, I felt like something was a hair off kilter and I couldn't quite put my finger on what it was.

Could it have been the fact that this couple seemed like an improved-upon version of Daisy (that was the guy, believe it or not) and what's-her-face (FFS, I can't remember her name now, the young
Liz
"Something in his touch told me to trust him, so I let him hold me, feeling warm and fragile and protected, a captured bird."

description

After Hours is my first Cara McKenna read. It was highly recommended by several GR buddies. I was definitely looking forward to meeting the infamous "Alpha of all Alphas" Kelly. I can say with complete certainty the rumors are true. This book is fantastic and Kelly is one hero that I will never forget!

Kelly Robak is a 38 year old "good ole' boy". He has made a simple life
Sammy Loves Books
4.5 "Fuck Me till I'm Cripple" Stars
Kelly's an Alpha Male with a Heart of Gold

description

Erin is a new LPN starting a job at a hospital for the mentally disturbed, crazy, sometimes violent patients. She is nervous, dealing with insecurities of being a new hire yet she is a strong independent woman that has never had to rely on anyone other than herself. The last thing she needs is to find herself in a sexual relationship with a co-worker in the first week on the job. So what if she can't keep her eyes off
Mo
Apr 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Well, first of all the cover alone deserves a star. This was a hot, intense read, especially the first half of the book... when Kelly and Erin got together at his place I thought I was going to explode! But is was much more than sex. Firstly the setting, a Psychiatric Ward - interesting... Erin is a nurse and Kelly is an orderly - nice to get away from the Super Rich Badass Billionaire for a while. They had a connection from the first off. It started off being just about sex but as the storyline ...more
Wendy'sThoughts
Feb 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Cara McKenna Fans, Erotica
Recommended to Wendy'sThoughts by: Ⓐlleskelle
4 "We Have Something Here" Stars * * * *

My first experience with Cara McKenna was her book, Willing Captive. The read was strong; her way of presenting the relationship between the main characters fresh and was handled well. I saw my buddy Ⓐlleskelle reading this and she was loving it.... so, I decided to as well.

This was another type of character study... you have the classic need for control in both the main characters; one due to the drunken father and weak mother. The other due to the mothe
Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾
This book caught me by complete and utter surprise. I have never read anything by Cara McKenna before, a mistake that I will be rectifying immediately.

Anyone that knows me and follows my reviews, knows that I am all about the sexy, controlling alpha heroes…and Ms. McKenna writes one hell of a hero with Kelly.

I was intrigued from the mere description of him.
His irises were pale with a dark ring, gray like his self-designed uniform. Clear eyes, pretty and cold as ice.

”You don’t look like a Kel
Anne Boleyn's Ghost
Apr 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Begone billionaires! YES for a romance that features leads who work for a living, who have real problems, who lead sometimes difficult lives...and still have absolutely filthy and fulfilling sex, and laugh, and open themselves to love.

After Hours is an erotic, light yet complex, fun yet poignant story. It explores the burgeoning relationship between nurse Erin and orderly Kelly, co-workers in a high-security psychiatric facility. The sexual attraction is the initial draw, but their connection de
Melanie A.
Audio DNF @ 27% - no rating.

I thought the narrator gave the heroine's words a sarcastic tone that I couldn't find a lot of evidence for in the story.

Also, while the writing was fine, this author's style of alpha/hero is just not for me. But if you're a fan of Harper Sloan or Aurora Rose Reynolds, I think this would be a good fit for you.

Happy reading!
Elizabeth (Liz)
Review posted at: Swept Away By Romance

What do I love about After Hours by Cara McKenna?! A better question would be, what *don't* I love about After Hours by Cara McKenna! The answer to that is NOTHING. There isn't one single thing that I don't love! I love the setting. I love the story line. I love the dialog. I love the secondary characters. I love the main characters. I love Cara McKenna's 'voice' and gift for writing. Seriously. I love it ALL!! I've been a fan of this author for a while now
Regina
ETA: Hey! Badass Book Reviews
is hosting an interview of Cara McKenna -- stop by to read a fabulous interview (very juicy)!

Read for the first time in March 2013. Re-read by audio November 2014.

After Hours is categorized by Cara as erotica and it definitely is that. There are explicit and beautifully detailed sex scenes to justify this category. Readers looking for this will not be disappointed. But After Hours is more than that, it is a romance. Yet, After Hours doesn't neatly fit into the roman
Louise
♥Kelly Robak is a keeper!!!:)

and I loved him to pieces♥♥♥ He is just the perfect example of the quote 'don't judge the book by its cover' and honestly if I doubt him the first time I read his part and how Erin describe him, I should have had hide myself on my cute shell cos' I put assumptions on him.
at first glance you might thought of him as the same as other Alpha males out there but he's not, he's an exception and I mean that he has a good heart, a kind heart even,well okay other heroes have
Wendy
Mar 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Wendy by: Jill
Kelly Robak is the kind of hero that really makes me weak at the knees. He’s quiet, intense and domineering, but who doesn’t need to make a song and dance about it. His confidence is present and oozes out in spades.

Erin is the strong independent heroine who has played the matriarch of the family and tries not to fall for the hot and bad boy type, who is Kelly. Until one day he propositions her to spend a weekend with him and that’s when the story heats up. Boy, I definitely put my desk fan at w
Kat

Unexpectedly good. With the added (and very welcome) bonus of a heroine that never once made me want to punch her in the face Chuck Norris style because of her TSTL tendencies. And that last chapter? Specifically the pillow talk? It turned me into such a swooning, gooey mess that I read it all over again just because I wanted to keep experiencing the loveliness I felt from it for a little bit longer.
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Love this author! Big price drop to $0.99, 6/1/15!
Olga therebelreader
2.5~3 stars
Silly romance, silly plot, but...with the hottest sex scenes.
Lise *friends don't flag*
3.5 solid Kelly Robak stars!

Well… I did not love this book, but I did like it. I liked that the two imperfect main characters worked in professions that suited them, that they had realistic troubled childhoods, that they were not described as stunningly gorgeous and that they were guarded in letting anyone get too close to them yet very protective of others in their lives.

I liked Kelly’s no nonsense ‘wall-like’ attitude toward life “You can fight a man and maybe win, but you can’t fight a wall”
a
❤️ Dorsey aka Wrath Lover Reviews ❤️
Mar 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to ❤️ Dorsey aka Wrath Lover Reviews ❤️ by: Karla
** 4 Talk Dirty To Me Stars **

This is a new author to me, my first read by Cara McKenna but definitely not my last!! I loved both the main and secondary characters involved.

Erin is a LPN nurse at a mental institution and Kelly is an orderly in the same hospital. You see an instant but subtle attraction between them that slowly grows as they get to know one another. They finally get together after Kelly ask Erin to give him a weekend....what a weekend!!!!

From there their relationship progresses
Jun 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I loved this so hard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Holly
Mar 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to begin by saying that there has not been a book by Cara McKenna that I have not thoroughly enjoyed. I get so excited when a new one comes out because they are such awesome reads!! If you have ever read her you know what I mean, if not, what exactly are you waiting for??!

Erin Coffey is a nurse and she takes a job at a Psychiatric Hospital after her grandmother, for whom she was the sole caregiver, passes away. She takes the job for not only the money but to be near her sister and nephew.
Camille Adams
A very stretched and diluted version of Willing Victim.

The balanced and endearing introspection that helped shed light on Laurel's character is overwrought and chick-litty here...and annoying when it interrupts vital scenes, and creates a remove from the action, and is used as a cheap way of relaying some events.

The analysis of sexuality and self that was refreshing and insightful in WV becomes wrung out, transparent and a form of pop-psychology that is too aware of itself and thus not very seam
Awilk -never sleeps-
After an uneasy start, this book and I became very good friends.

Cara McKenna took a very unlikely hero and made him adorable. Kelly was very different in character to other male leads I have read lately. He was an alpha all the way through, but still just an everyday guy doing a normal sort of job. No ridiculously wealthy, male model looking man for a very nice change. His childhood was not great, and he had acknowledged that and moved on.

Erin was a young woman who had also started life out the
Mandy
I really enjoyed this book. My only complaints are that I REALLY needed Kelly's pov and I wanted an epilogue. I liked this couple, I liked the story and I can't wait to read more by this author.
Jess
Mar 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for_review
Review posted: Happily Ever After - Reads
Blog rating: A-

After caring for her elderly grandparent suffering from dementia, Erin takes a new job after her grandmother passes away. Her job as a nurse finds her at a psychiatric hospital, the only open position she could find that puts her in driving range of her sister and young nephew. She’s nervous and scared about her place of employment but is determined to make it work. On her first day she meets Kelly, an orderly at the hospital, whose job it
McGee Magoo
There's really nothing I can say that hasn't already been said (more eloquently, too, I'll add) in praise of this book. But handing out another 5-star rating for an all-heroine POV???? I feel like I'm making huge strides--breaking out of some sort of self-built cage or something. Or, this book is just THAT GOOD. Yep, that's it. This was really great.

First off, I love that I wasn't reading about a billionaire, firefighter, soldier, or secret-agent-man (though, I really can't get tired of the fir
Maida
My respect for author Cara McKenna only multiplies as I continue to make my way through her oeuvre. She has tremendous ability as a writer, & in my opinion, she's not an author who should be pigeonholed into one particular genre. She has incredible versatility— no two books are ever the same... and I don't even consider her to have a "signature writing style." Her style adapts to fit whatever story she's telling.

When I read Unbound, I compared McKenna to Nobel Prize-winning Austrian writer,

• The Story Guy
  • Big Boy
  • Run to You
  • Uncommon Passion (Uncommon, #2)
  • The Seduction Hypothesis  (Science of Temptation #2)
  • The Reluctant Nude
  • Beyond Control (Beyond, #2)
  • The Fifth Favor
  • Take What You Want
  • Chance of a Lifetime
Since she began writing in 2008, Cara McKenna has published nearly forty romances and erotic novels with a variety of publishers, sometimes under the pen names Meg Maguire and C.M. McKenna. Her stories have been acclaimed for their smart, modern voice and defiance of convention. She was a 2015 RITA Award finalist, a 2014 RT Reviewers’ Choice Award winner, a 2012 and 2011 RT Reviewers’ Choice Award ...more
“There's four things a real man has to be able to do for a woman."
"Exactly how many man-lists do you have?"
He let my wrist go and ticked the items off on his fingers. "Fix her car. Grill her a steak. Kick the ass of any guy who makes her cry. And fuck her so hard she wakes up half-crippled."
"Oh my God.”
76 likes
“I’m gonna fall in love with you,” Kelly said. His words hung in the darkness, bright as candle flames.” 17 likes