Start by marking “The Ayton Swans (Inspector McClennan, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Ayton Swans (Inspector McClennan, #1)

The Ayton Swans

(Inspector McClennan #1)

It is March 2003 and the world is preparing for the invasion of Iraq when the body of a young female student is found in the grounds of Ayton University.
Detective Inspector David McClennan, sent to investigate her murder, finds himself in an unfamiliar world of students and academics, a world which contrasts starkly with the Flamingo club in the centre of town where the v
Published December 2012 by Saverge

To ask other readers questions about The Ayton Swans, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ayton Swans

Start your review of The Ayton Swans (Inspector McClennan, #1)
Leelaswann
Apr 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Needs a good editor

Way, way too long a book for this story. Too many sociology text excerpts worked in to the narrative - like the author was publishing her thesis in a novel. It doesn't add to the plot, and it drags down the pace. Characters are one dimensional. For all of that, it was an entertaining murder mystery - the author has good ideas, just needs to pare down the extraneous.
Ann James
Unfinished. Tried to read twice but couldn't get beyond the endless pages of extracts from a sociology book the main character was reading. Not for me I'm afraid. ...more
Nerfzilla
Apr 01, 2013 rated it it was ok
Really surprisingly slow, boring and awful. No character development, no urgency to the crime. It was as if all the characters in the book were as bored and anxious to be done with the book as I was.
Deanna
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
The book was clever...but, too long

This first volume was filled with detail, narrative, and well-written prose. It was not concise. In fact, a good editor would have shaved off about 75 pages.
The characters were relatable and interesting enough that I will try to read the next book in the series, but the endless excerpts from the feminist- sociologist-professor's textbook were tedious and too propagandizing for my taste. I wanted to read a novel not a diatribe.
Even so, the plot was interesting a
Cathy Downs
Jan 29, 2020 rated it liked it
This was the slowest read I have ever experienced. It was not because the characters nor the story line were not good, but the pace was so slow. Also, all those long passes from the Sociology book were ponderous and did not add to the story line. I will not be following the stories of Inspector McClennan nor this author and that is very odd for me. Once I read the first book in a series, I read them all plus everything that author writes. Not this time, not this author.
Stuart Johnstone
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book!

I was surprised, I have never heard of Ms Greaves before, yet she seems to live in an area close to where I spent most of my life. I have never studied, or even thought about Sociology, but I shall be looking into that, as well as reading some more of Ms Greaves' books.
jcwolfkill
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
A bit flat but

As a first novel, the characters were flat and unbelievable and some of the plot developments predictable. Excellent information regarding social constructs. Nice plot twist but the ending was dreadful. I would read one more of the authors books to track writing style developments.
Frederick (Ted) and Barbara K. Hecht
Too long, too convoluted

This was a disappointing read. It is too long and poorly paced. The plot is labyrinthine. Convoluted. The culprit is not clearly delineated until the end and even then not effectively described.
carolie coates
Feb 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Frustrating book

Repetive plot. So many red herrings. Cease to care about characters. Do not care who murderer is. Dissappoi going mystery

Tom Jenckes
Jul 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: stopped-reading
I finally threw in the towel at 48% done. I just couldn't stand the inspector reading more of Professor Caroline's book. it got so I didn't care who done it. ...more
Pat
Mar 16, 2017 rated it liked it
I felt that for a mystery it was lacking as it didnot

keep you feeling that you just had to keep reading and just.couldn't put it down.Not enough suspence. For me. To slow.
Nancy
Jul 18, 2016 added it
Mickey Hoffman
Jul 09, 2013 rated it liked it
This book is a traditional mystery and in spite of the fact there are several bodies, there are no gory details. I don't like too much description in a mystery novel, but in this case I'd have liked more guidance about the physical appearances of the characters--not every wart and wrinkle, but perhaps more than just one word. On the other hand, there were pages and pages of "excerpts" from a feminists sociologist's tome and those were repetitive and mostly superfluous to the plot. The Inspector ...more
P.R.
May 05, 2015 rated it did not like it
At last I have finished ‘The Ayton Swans’. I say ‘at last’ because I found it a tedious and protracted read, and even the end was (in my opinion) disappointing. I had high hopes of it, but found it hard going. I also felt that the author concentrated far too much on conveying social and behavioural messages, quoting from texts which may or may not have been her own, and which it was hard not to skip. I think I’ll give the rest of this series a miss.
Angel Eyes
Sep 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love everything about this book - the clever plot, the twists and turns, the location, the characters and the inspector himself, a welcome addition to the world of crime fiction.
I think that the person who thinks it needs an editor just doesn't like the feminism - it is extremely well written and well edited.
Judy
Apr 28, 2013 rated it it was ok
Several Sociology students are killed at an English university and everyone is a suspect--including their very beautiful young lecturer. I read and read and thought that I would never finish this book. The last quarter of the book was much better than the first three quarters. However, I doubt I will read the second in the series. There are just too many books and too little time.
Markm
Nov 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I read this book because I loved 2022 and it did not disappoint. I really like this author's writing style. I loved the location, the characters and the plot. A lot happens and you have to concentrate - apparently insignificant details turn out to be extremely important clues. ...more
Avidreader
Oct 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It's a great story, with lots of twists and turns, believable characters, a pleasant setting and an unexpected ending. It is extremely well-written, complex and thought-provoking, with a lot to say about human relationships. ...more
Simone
Oct 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This novel has everything - a great plot, a lovely setting, likeable characters and a brilliant ending. It is beautifully written and - important for me -contains no swearing. I will definitely be reading the next in the series as well as other books by this author.
Barbara Spiegelman
Mar 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
couldn't put it down

Excellent characters, twisted plot, and a little romance for fun. University setting very accurately described and used to further the plot.
Phyllis
Dec 18, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
I founds the book a bit drawn out and I had a bit of trouble keeping track of everyone. I did enjoy it though although it took me longer than normal to finish it.
philip
Aug 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Pretty good first in a series, but again I will read the second to see if the author can convince me the series is worth my time.
Delany
May 08, 2013 rated it it was ok
Not a very good writer. I'm posting this review to remind myself that I've already tried this one and didn't like it enough to order it from the library. ...more
megan hunt
Belinda Brown
Jun 19, 2017
james g graham
Jun 07, 2018

• The Baby-Snatcher (Inspector Ramsay, #6)
  • A Lesson In Dying (Inspector Ramsey, #1)
  • Killjoy (Inspector Ramsey, #4)
  • A Day in the Death of Dorothea Cassidy (Inspector Ramsey, #3)
  • Murder In My Backyard (Inspector Ramsay, #2)
  • The Healers (Inspector Ramsay, #5)
  • Tell No Tales (Hidden Norfolk #4)
  • Murder in Retribution (New Scotland Yard/Doyle and Acton, #2)
  • Murder in Deep Regret (Doyle & Acton, #11)
  • Murder in Revelation (Doyle & Acton, #12)
  • The Dead Call (Hidden Norfolk #6)
  • Cuthbert's Way (DCI Ryan Mysteries, #17)
  • The Darkest Evening (Vera Stanhope, #9)
  • Murder in Spite (New Scotland Yard/Doyle & Acton, #8)
  • Murder in the Blood (Doyle & Acton, #10)
  • ROXANNE: A Kings Lake Investigation
  • Murder in All Honour (New Scotland Yard/Doyle and Acton, #5)
  • The Manor House Murder (Monica Noble #3)

Inspector McClennan (4 books)
  • The Secrets Of Seldom Seen (Inspector McClennan, #2)
  • The Curse Of The Ayton Witches (Inspector McClennan, #3)
  • A Cloak Of Pure White (Inspector McClennan, #4)

News & Interviews