Start by marking “De verloren dochter” as Want to Read:
De verloren dochter

De verloren dochter

(Inspector Pallioti #3)

In Florence vertrekt een jonge Amerikaanse studente, Kristen Carson, voor een paar dagen vakantie met haar vriend. Ze laat een briefje achter voor haar kamergenote. Een paar dagen later vliegen haar vader en stiefmoeder voor haar achttiende verjaardag naar Florence. Kristen komt echter niet op de afgesproken tijd in het restaurant opdagen en haar ouders slaan alarm. Kriste ...more
Published March 2013 by A.W. Bruna (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about De verloren dochter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about De verloren dochter

Anne
Oct 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
I really enjoy Lucretia Grindle's writing - The Faces of Angels and The Villa Triste are two of my all-time favourites, and I was hoping this one would live up to them. Pleased to say that I absolutely loved it. It starts slowly, and you think you might be reading a routine police procedural about the kidnap of a 17 year old American girl, albeit with likeable character detectives in Pallioti and Enzo. Pallioti's very much the professional policeman, the gentleman, a self contained man with stro ...more
Nicki
I've thoroughly enjoyed every minute of this book. The setting, plot, characters and pace were all perfect. I got absorbed in this story and could see all the people and places in my mind's eye as I was reading. Very well written and put together. I think I've found a new favourite author!
Nona
Nov 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: listened
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, which I chose because of the reader. I love the voice of Julia BARRIE and she did not disappoint me with this novel, and what is even more favourable is that fact that
Lucretia GRINDLE has written a great story.
The emotion woven through this story ebbs and flows and draws the reader in. At times I am urging Angela to be strong, not so infatuated with Antiono, ah but it is love.
Yes love is story here.
Highly recommended.
Ila
A deeply engaging story of a spoilt teenager traumatised by her mother's suicide, her loving step mother with a past, Italian police, Florence, Aldo Moro's kidnapping by the Red Brigade...A current day crime connected with a deeply troubled time in Italian politics and society, I remained thoroughly immersed in the tale right to the end.
Tina Stillabower
I thought this could have been a 350 page book instead of a 450 page book. It was slow in a couple of places, but by the last 100 pages, I was in it until the end. Interesting story line with some surprises in the end.
Linda Tuplin
I'm not usually one for mysteries, but I really enjoyed this one. I will have to check out her other books. Some day I'd love to visit Italy.
Faith Hazelton
Great book for summer reading. Predictable and suspenseful with a couple of good surprises.
Quirkybookworm
Nov 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I want to read more of the investigator books.....
Lizzie Hayes
Aug 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
‘The Lost Daughter’ by Lucretia Grindle
Published by Mantle, 26 August 2011. ISBN: 978-0-230-74623-7

Seventeen year-old Kristen Carson is an American student studying in Florence. When she is reported missing by her father, who has flown over from the USA to celebrate her birthday, the Italian police are not overly concerned. ‘She will turn up in a few days having been holed up in some hotel with a new boyfriend having an exciting time’, says Alessandro Pallioti, one of Florence’s most senior poli
Joanne
Oct 22, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fairly light, enjoyable read, bringing together events in Rome, 1978, when the Red Brigades kidnapped and murdered Aldo Moro, father figure of Italian politics, with an American student, Kristen Carson, who goes missing in Florence thirty-two years later. Linked to the two separate events are the notorious Antonio Tomaselli, who served time for the kidnap of Moro, and Anna Carson, step-mother of Kristen, who also goes missing shortly after arriving in Florence.

The plot is full of twi
Mary Warnement
Aug 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
I've visited the memorial to Aldo Moro's bodyguards, killed on Via Fani in 1978, not far from where I lived on Monte Mario in Rome in 1998-1999. I read a journalistic history of his abduction and murder and recall the images of his body discovered in the red car, halfway btw the offices of the Christian Democrats and Communists in what passes for the Red Brigades sense of poetic justice. Or bloody justice. Moro is only a small part of this mystery, though his kidnapping is at the center of its p ...more
Loretta
Feb 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story, set in Florence, Italy, immediately commands attention. A young teenage American girl appears to have gone away willingly with a smooth Italian middle aged Lothario but doesn't turn up for her birthday party. A hunt begins but it seems the 'Lothario' is a lot more dangerous and calculating than the police supposed and the girl is bait to hook a bigger fish. This is dramatic love story as well as a thriller. Grindle's writing is beautiful and has a cinematic quality and some really gr ...more
Dorothy
Nov 07, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: didn-t-finish-it
This was an irritating book that should've been good.

What destroyed it, for me, was the mix of tenses, for no apparent rhyme or reason: events that were set in the book's "present" were sometimes written in the past tense, yet events set in the characters' past were sometimes written in the present tense.

I'm not a fan of present tense for novels anyway, but if an author is consistent right the way through, I eventually get used to it. The constant switching in this book annoyed me so much I gav
Penny
Mar 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book - like her 'Villa Triste' it had me captivated from the opening page and I could not put it down all weekend.
Grindle lays tantalising little clues, which make you think you can guess the history/outcome, but then there will be a contradiction later and a twist in the tale so the ending is never obvious.
Her descriptions of Florence and the characters of Italy are wonderful -and the detective team are getting more rounded as their characters develop over the years -
This book st
For Books' Sake
Sep 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"This is a tale of a vanishing foreign student, and with only 70 miles separating Florence from Perugia, it’s hard not to think of the Knox-Kercher case of 2007.

Kristen Carson, a 17 year-old American student opens this novel by closing her suitcase, leaving behind a childhood toy on her pillow and her apartment on a January afternoon before heading out into the cold.

Thereafter the novel evolves into a hunt, a study of love, and what binds us and tests us within the realms of sexual and family re
Aug 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a a good read- easy to become engrossed in and focusing on a period of history that I knew nothing about. I preferred the sections of the book set in the 1970s- I didn't really warm to Anna Carson thirty years on, and we didn't really get to know Kristen very well before she disappeared, but I found the historical sections of the book very well written and evocative. I haven't read the previous book featuring Detectives Pallioti and Saenz (The Villa), but I would like to do so now as I ...more
Bowerbird
Feb 14, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
The book certainly held my attention' though it does jump about a bit. The story hinges on happenings in 1978 when a politician was kidnapped and murdered by members of the Red Brigade. However, the main story is set in the present day when a pretty American student is kidnapped in Florence. The Italian police need to identify the link before they can begin to solve the crime but somehow, her step-mother is involved.

Although the story is fiction it has been developed from real events when the R
Bibliophile
Grindle writes good crime stories, usually with interesting characters and great settings. This one, set in Florence, Rome and Ferrara, didn't live up to expectations at all. I've been to all three cities but none was as vividly described as Florence in Grindles excellent The Faces of Angels. The backstory about Angela and Antonio didn't engage me at all, and I really didn't care what happened to the abducted student or her secretive stepmother. And haven't the Red Brigades been used in fiction ...more
Michele
This is the second book I have read by Lucretia Grindle. She is doing a series of books (a trilogy) that are each about a significant political event or moment in recent Italian history. It is framed in a present day mystery, but takes you back to the 1960s and the Brigate Rosse, a revolutionary group who kidnapped a beloved Italian political leader. It is very detailed and a compelling, good read. It takes place in and around Florence Italy. I enjoyed it as my summer read.
Pam Thompson
Jan 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second Lucretia Grindle books I've read - the first being Villa Triste. I can't believe that I've only just discovered this great writer. Her characters are complex and often flawed but she has a way of making you identify with them. I will have to buy any others as my local library only has Villa Triste.
Emmi
Jul 20, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did not enjoy the book that much as it's known as a thriller. I really like thriller and mystery stories but I disappointed the total story of it. I lost interest in the middle (in part two) and after that I could not read normal. But overall the story was well written, no doubt in that.
fivethousandbooks
First sentence:

The altar was washed in shadow.

Last sentence:

Then he folded the manila envelope carefully into his pocket, and cradled the flowers in his arms as he walked across the piazza, and turned down the alley that led towards the river and home.
Rebecca Harris
Sep 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
While the first part I found slightly tedious and not very engaging, the remainder was amazing and hard to put down. Having said that, the first part is necessary to setting the story in motion. Definitely worth the read and I enjoyed learning about Italy's RB.
Steve
Dec 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4+ stars. Well-developed characters and a compelling plot. The ending was thrilling and somewhat surprising. I look forward to reading more in future editions of this series by the talented author of the 5 star novel "Villa Triste".
Katy Gaffney
Aug 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
very enjoyable thriller...plenty of twists and turns...would recommend
Georgia
Aug 04, 2015 marked it as lost-interest  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hachette
Detective thrillers are just not my thing (except for Robert Galbraith's). Nothing bad about this per se, but nothing keeping me reading eitehr
Anne Swenson
Apr 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This author is good! The Inspector and his sidekick have some interesting adventures. The author includes enough history to keep your interest.
nikkia neil
Feb 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss
Very much a thriller, edge of your seat. I like books written with more than one perspective so this was a quick good book for me.
Debora Smith
Jul 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Grabs you and keeps you engaged until the end!
A good read.

Chris Galle
Not as good as its predecessor The Villa Triste, but the chapters dealing with the period of the Red Brigades and the kidnapping of Aldo Moro made it worthwile reading.

• Return to the Olive Farm
  • A Florentine Death (Michele Ferrara, #1)
  • Recipe for Life
  • Royal Family: Years of Transition
  • The God Hater
  • Iterations
  • The Good Thief's Guide to Venice (Good Thief's Guide, #4)
  • They Danced by the Light of the Moon
  • A Murder in Tuscany (Sandro Cellini, #2)
  • Love and Death Among the Cheetahs (Her Royal Spyness #13)
  • Glorieta Pass (Far Western Civil War, #1)
  • The Ultimate Journey
  • Devotion (My Dear I Wanted to Tell You #3)
  • The Power Twins
  • Breaking Dead (Sophie Kent, #1)
  • The Half Life of Stars
  • A Rather Remarkable Homecoming (Penny Nichols, #4)
  • Something's Alive on the Titanic
Lucretia Grindle was born in Boston Massachusetts and grew up spending half her time in the United States and half her time in the UK. Continuing as she started out, she still splits her time, but now calls the coast of Maine home.

Inspector Pallioti (3 books)
  • The Faces Of Angels