Start by marking “The Rule of Thoughts (The Mortality Doctrine, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Rule of Thoughts (The Mortality Doctrine, #2)

The Rule of Thoughts

(The Mortality Doctrine #2)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  13,310 ratings  ·  1,104 reviews
From the New York Times bestselling author of the Maze Runner series comes The Rule of Thoughts, the exciting sequel to The Eye of Minds. Fans of the Divergent series by Veronica Roth and The Hunger Games will love the new Mortality Doctrine series.

Michael completed the Path. What he found at the end turned everything he’d ever known about his life—and the world—completel
Published August 26th 2014 by Delacorte Press

really liked it 4.00  ·
 ·  13,310 ratings  ·  1,104 reviews

Michelle
Dec 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Give me this book RIGHT NOW. I NEED TO KNOW.

Besides the fact that i completely fangirl over the first book (i'm contemplating reading it again), you're not allowed to just end there.

Nope, sorry. Not going to happen.

Edit: The cover. *dies*
I picked the wrong book to fangirl over.
Meh. but still.
*dies again*
wow, I died a lot.
Jacob
Aug 30, 2014 rated it it was ok
Honestly, I don't know why I read this. And I know I'm going to read the next one, although I can't figure out why I'm going to do that either. Maybe I'm just checking to see whether Dashner's writing got any better; (spoiler) it didn't. Again, the core idea is interesting (and has been done before), but the execution is terrible. On a positive note, there isn't anything more wrong with this than the first one, The Eye of Minds, so if you loved that you'll probably love this.

So, to review: the w
Lauren
Mar 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I NEED THIS BOOK NOW.

EDIT: HOLY MOTHER OF FRENCH FRIES THE COVER!!!!!! *dies*
Christopher Xia
Sep 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Rule of Thoughts is an amazing follow up to The Eye of Minds book. It showed me James Dashner's imaginative thoughts and how he would picture the future based on his writing. In the book, I was able to connect with Michael having problems trusting other people because he was lied to and betrayed a countless amount of times before. Sometimes, all you need is time to gain the trust back again. Other times, the trust would be lost forever.
Pepsi_Cola
Apr 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I NEED THIS BOOK *Looks at release date* *Sobbs* NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
LB
Jan 07, 2015 rated it it was ok
This review is also posted at http://readingnookandcranny.blogspot....

Oh, James Dashner, what have you gone and done here? Actually, I know exactly what you did. You sat at your desk and thought, 'Hey, what if I take The Eye of Minds and just reverse the plot? Now that Michael is known to be AI, we'll make him human instead of in the first book where he was known to be human and we made him AI. And then, since he thought he lived in the Wake when really he was in the Sleep in the Eye of Minds, n
Anna Steele
Sep 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
The Rule of Thoughts by James Dashner is the thrilling sequel to his first book in this series, The Eye of Minds. Having read the first book in September 2013, I was absolutely delighted when I spotted this book on my library's "New Arrivals" shelf. James Dashner's books have never disappointed me so far, so I immediately jumped in and began to read!
The first thing I noticed was how poorly he introduced the book. He seemed to jump right in, which wouldn't be a problem if you had recently read T
Nana
Oct 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
I don't even know what to say.
Siobhan
May 20, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
When everyone was crazy about young adult dystopian novels, I decided to jump into James Dashner’s The Maze Runner series. If the truth is to be known, it’s my least favourite of the popular young adult dystopian trilogies. I like to think I’m a pretty nice reader, in that I give authors multiple chances before I decide they are not for me. Sometimes I’m surprised and realise it’s just a single series by the author that is not for me, other times I am shown it is the author who is not for me.

Jam
Chayse Sundt
Jul 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Many of you might know James Dashner by his series The Maze Runner and may not notice his other series which I started out, a little rocky, but thankfully he worked his magic and wrote a brilliant sequel in The Mortality Doctrine and it brought my interest back into the series.

We follow the main character Michael as he finds out that completing The Path was all part of Kaine’s plan. Now in a new body with a new life, Michael must find a way to defeat Kaine and decide on whether he wants to risk
Lindsey
Aug 28, 2014 rated it liked it
Rule of Thoughts was fast-paced and hard to put down. I read it in a day, which is pretty typical for me with Dashner's books.

We didn't learn much in this book. It spent more time on dealing with the final twist of the first book and setting up the next book than presenting many new discoveries. There ARE some though. Dashner knows how to give us just enough to keep us wanting more. (I want to know more! How long 'till the next book?)

My biggest problem with this book, was, ah, spoiler.
(view spo
jus
Mar 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
COME ON I NEED THIS BOOK LIKE RIGHT NOW. I CAN'T WAIT FOR IT ANYMORE [VIOLENTLY CRIES]

[REAL REVIEW]
THE PLOT TWIST AT THE END THE FREAKING PLOT TWIST, dude all i want now is the game of lives.
Ryan S
Sep 29, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult
I instantly started The Rule of Thoughts after finishing The Eye of Minds. The revelations at the end of The Eye of Minds drove me crazy, wanting to understand what it was all about.
I think the first 100 pages of The Rule of Thoughts are alright. It got only worst later on. I liked how Michael tried to figure the life of Jackson out. Tried to deal with his host's girlfriend and to get in touch with Sarah again.
Talking about Sarah .. What the hell Dashner really? How long are you gonna make us w
Nicole Alycia
Dec 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was a little confused when I started this one, it had been a while since I read the first book and I didn't quite remember the ending.
But that quickly changed and everything that happened at the end of the previous book was more or less rehashed so I was no longer confused and then the story got really good from there.
I'm not a gamer but this whole world that was created is just so cool to me. It's kinda like an inception but in video games. I also really enjoy the characters, they
Julianne
Feb 22, 2014 rated it liked it
Hmm. I'm not really sure I understand what happened at the end but then again maybe I'm not supposed to yet.
Drewthereader19
Review coming soon!
Aly
Oct 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
This was a quick, interesting read.
I love James Dashner and the first book of this series was really good so of course I enjoyed this book as well. The plot was interesting and just gets crazier as it goes. It flowed very well and there weren't boring parts. Seeing Michael navigate being a human for the first time was cool, even the idea that you can put a computer program in a body and make it a real person is crazy! I kept wondering if the people helping Michael were actually good or bad and
Espe
Jul 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Una continuación muy buena que tiene mucha más acción, no paramos de ver que los chicos corren continuos peligros, la adrenalina, la intriga y el misterio están a la vuelta de cada página y no puedes dejar de leer porque quieres ver a donde va a ir a para James Dashner, cuales son los planes que nos tiene preparados y como puede acabar todo, pues la humanidad está en peligro y el malo es realmente poderoso e inteligente, un hueso duro de roer. Así que es extremadamente trepidante, un no parar de ...more
Remi Foliage
Feb 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
can I really trust agent Weber?
Virginia
Dec 11, 2014 rated it liked it
Welp, Dashner did it again. What is with authors who break trust with their readers over and over again nowadays? Why do we bother reading if in the pursuit of "the ultimate twist," nothing we read is real or makes sense?

It is beyond annoying. Why should I bother reading and investing time and energy in books that keep pulling the rug out from under me? Of course, I have to find out what happens, so I guess he wins again. But this is only because I am a Completist.
Paola
Jun 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Me encantó esa mezcla entre el mundo real y el virtual. Kaine es cada vez más poderoso y escapar de él será un duro trabajo. Tiene mucha acción y perturba un poco el hecho de no saber quienes son los malos de la historia. El final es esperanzador y me recordó al de "correr o morir" así que no me haré ilusiones precipitadas.
Ghazal Radwan
Jun 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
SOMEONE HAND ME THIS BOOK RIGHT NOW *CRYINNNNNNNNNNNGGG*
Panxokd.books
May 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OMG OMG OMG. James Maldito Dashner lo haz vuelto a hacer. Este libro me dejo mal nuevamente. No puedo esperar para leer lo que sigue *-* !!!
Josiah
Nov 20, 2016 rated it it was ok
Waiting long to start The Rule of Thoughts after finishing The Eye of Minds is hard to do in light of the mind-blowing revelation at the end of that first book of the Mortality Doctrine series. Michael, who collaborated with his hacker friends Sarah and Bryson in an effort to bring down the rogue Tangent known as Kaine, turned out to unknowingly be a Tangent like Kaine all along. Michael isn't human; he's a complex strain of computer code designed to think of itself as a teenage boy. None of th ...more
Logan Chaput
Nov 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really good book. lots of things cleared up from the first book and near the end making whole new mystery. great story in general.
Alessio
Feb 08, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: letti
Storia diversa ma sempre più simile nei particolari a Maze Runner.
Wybredna
BLOG

Jestem chyba jedną z niewielu osób, które zapoznały się z Jamesem Dashnerem od innej strony (źle to zabrzmiało). Nie zaczęłam bowiem przygody z tym panem od Więźnia Labiryntu, ale od W Sieci Umysłów, czyli pierwszego tomu Doktryny Śmiertelności, która bardzo pozytywnie mnie zaskoczyła. Wreszcie przyszedł czas na jej kontynuację, czyli Regułę Myśli.

Jeżeli mieliście już do czynienia z tomem pierwszym tej serii, dobrze wiecie, jak bardzo zaskakująca się okazała i na czym stanęliśmy. Jeżeli jedn
Daniel
Jul 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Oh NOOOO, it's happening again.

Once again, after falling in love with the first installment of a James Dashner series, the sequel has me very worried about where the last book is ultimately going to go. It's safe to say I was grossly underwhelmed by The Death Cure, so the outlook for The Game of Lives is admittedly pretty bleak. You get this sense that Dashner comes up with all of these brilliant ideas, but when it comes time to develop these ideas into multiple-book series, he loses his way a l
BRANDON SCHEER
Oct 10, 2016 rated it it was ok
PERSONAL RESPONSE:
This book is very hard to follow along with because it is fiction and does not make any sense to real life. There are programs that are made into real people with a heart and a brain. They go into a Coffin and that takes them to the Sleep, which is a digital world that they can do anything in like play games, hang out, and work. It is in the future because everyone has technology built into them like holograms and phones. I did not like this book as much as I thought I would ha
Bookreads :): Rule of Thoughts 1 2 Jan 09, 2016 08:46AM
Characters types 1 3 Nov 04, 2015 09:52AM
  • Catalyst (Insignia, #3)
  • Don't Let Go (PERSEFoNE, #3)
  • Going Dark (Blackout #0.5)
  • Other Worlds
  • BZRK: Apocalypse (BZRK, #3)
  • Twinmaker (Twinmaker, #1)
  • Renegade (MILA 2.0, #2)
  • The Breaker's Code (Fixed Points, #1)
  • Savage Drift (Monument 14, #3)
  • Divided (Dualed, #2)
  • Secret Histories (Lorien Legacies: The Lost Files, #4-6)
  • 318: Fractured Era Prequel Story (Fractured Era Series)
  • Tremor (Pulse, #2)
  • Earth Flight (Earth Girl, #3)
  • The Capture (The Prey, #2)
  • Crash (The Game, #3)
  • Polaris (Avalon, #2)
  • Stolen (Heart of Dread, #2)
James is the author of THE MAZE RUNNER trilogy and THE 13TH REALITY series. He also published a series (beginning with A DOOR IN THE WOODS) with a small publisher several years ago. He lives and writes in the Rocky Mountains.

The Mortality Doctrine (3 books)
  • The Eye of Minds (The Mortality Doctrine, #1)
  • The Game of Lives (The Mortality Doctrine, #3)
“I've met some brave people in my life. And I've met some awfully stupid people. You're one of the rare ones that are both.” 14 likes
“I don't give a crap if you're a Tangent or a really smart llama. You're my friend and that's all that matters” 11 likes