Start by marking “The Rule of Thoughts (The Mortality Doctrine, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Rule of Thoughts (The Mortality Doctrine, #2)

The Rule of Thoughts

(The Mortality Doctrine #2)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  14,036 ratings  ·  1,135 reviews
From the New York Times bestselling author of the Maze Runner series comes The Rule of Thoughts, the exciting sequel to The Eye of Minds. Fans of the Divergent series by Veronica Roth and The Hunger Games will love the new Mortality Doctrine series.

Michael completed the Path. What he found at the end turned everything he’d ever known about his life—and the world—
Published August 26th 2014 by Delacorte Press

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·
 ·  14,036 ratings  ·  1,135 reviews

Start your review of The Rule of Thoughts (The Mortality Doctrine, #2)
Michelle
Dec 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Give me this book RIGHT NOW. I NEED TO KNOW.

Besides the fact that i completely fangirl over the first book (i'm contemplating reading it again), you're not allowed to just end there.

Nope, sorry. Not going to happen.

Edit: The cover. *dies*
I picked the wrong book to fangirl over.
Meh. but still.
*dies again*
wow, I died a lot.
Jacob
Aug 30, 2014 rated it it was ok
Honestly, I don't know why I read this. And I know I'm going to read the next one, although I can't figure out why I'm going to do that either. Maybe I'm just checking to see whether Dashner's writing got any better; (spoiler) it didn't. Again, the core idea is interesting (and has been done before), but the execution is terrible. On a positive note, there isn't anything more wrong with this than the first one, The Eye of Minds, so if you loved that you'll probably love this.

So, to review: the
Lauren
Mar 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I NEED THIS BOOK NOW.

EDIT: HOLY MOTHER OF FRENCH FRIES THE COVER!!!!!! *dies*
Christopher Xia
Sep 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Rule of Thoughts is an amazing follow up to The Eye of Minds book. It showed me James Dashner's imaginative thoughts and how he would picture the future based on his writing. In the book, I was able to connect with Michael having problems trusting other people because he was lied to and betrayed a countless amount of times before. Sometimes, all you need is time to gain the trust back again. Other times, the trust would be lost forever.
Pepsi_Cola
Apr 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I NEED THIS BOOK *Looks at release date* *Sobbs* NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
LB
Jan 07, 2015 rated it it was ok
This review is also posted at http://readingnookandcranny.blogspot....

Oh, James Dashner, what have you gone and done here? Actually, I know exactly what you did. You sat at your desk and thought, 'Hey, what if I take The Eye of Minds and just reverse the plot? Now that Michael is known to be AI, we'll make him human instead of in the first book where he was known to be human and we made him AI. And then, since he thought he lived in the Wake when really he was in the Sleep in the Eye of Minds,
Anna Steele
Sep 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
The Rule of Thoughts by James Dashner is the thrilling sequel to his first book in this series, The Eye of Minds. Having read the first book in September 2013, I was absolutely delighted when I spotted this book on my library's "New Arrivals" shelf. James Dashner's books have never disappointed me so far, so I immediately jumped in and began to read!
The first thing I noticed was how poorly he introduced the book. He seemed to jump right in, which wouldn't be a problem if you had recently read
Nana
Oct 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
I don't even know what to say.
Siobhan
May 20, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
When everyone was crazy about young adult dystopian novels, I decided to jump into James Dashner’s The Maze Runner series. If the truth is to be known, it’s my least favourite of the popular young adult dystopian trilogies. I like to think I’m a pretty nice reader, in that I give authors multiple chances before I decide they are not for me. Sometimes I’m surprised and realise it’s just a single series by the author that is not for me, other times I am shown it is the author who is not for me.

Chayse Sundt
Jul 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Many of you might know James Dashner by his series The Maze Runner and may not notice his other series which I started out, a little rocky, but thankfully he worked his magic and wrote a brilliant sequel in The Mortality Doctrine and it brought my interest back into the series.

We follow the main character Michael as he finds out that completing The Path was all part of Kaine’s plan. Now in a new body with a new life, Michael must find a way to defeat Kaine and decide on whether he wants to risk
Lindsey
Aug 28, 2014 rated it liked it
Rule of Thoughts was fast-paced and hard to put down. I read it in a day, which is pretty typical for me with Dashner's books.

We didn't learn much in this book. It spent more time on dealing with the final twist of the first book and setting up the next book than presenting many new discoveries. There ARE some though. Dashner knows how to give us just enough to keep us wanting more. (I want to know more! How long 'till the next book?)

My biggest problem with this book, was, ah, spoiler.
(view
jus
Mar 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
COME ON I NEED THIS BOOK LIKE RIGHT NOW. I CAN'T WAIT FOR IT ANYMORE [VIOLENTLY CRIES]

[REAL REVIEW]
THE PLOT TWIST AT THE END THE FREAKING PLOT TWIST, dude all i want now is the game of lives.
Ryan S
Sep 29, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult
I instantly started The Rule of Thoughts after finishing The Eye of Minds. The revelations at the end of The Eye of Minds drove me crazy, wanting to understand what it was all about.
I think the first 100 pages of The Rule of Thoughts are alright. It got only worst later on. I liked how Michael tried to figure the life of Jackson out. Tried to deal with his host's girlfriend and to get in touch with Sarah again.
Talking about Sarah .. What the hell Dashner really? How long are you gonna make us
Nicole Alycia
Dec 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was a little confused when I started this one, it had been a while since I read the first book and I didn't quite remember the ending.
But that quickly changed and everything that happened at the end of the previous book was more or less rehashed so I was no longer confused and then the story got really good from there.
I'm not a gamer but this whole world that was created is just so cool to me. It's kinda like an inception but in video games. I also really enjoy the characters, they
Julianne
Feb 22, 2014 rated it liked it
Hmm. I'm not really sure I understand what happened at the end but then again maybe I'm not supposed to yet.
Drewthereader20
Aug 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I loved this book! Now I get to start on the third & final book!(:
Aly
Oct 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook, 2018
This was a quick, interesting read.
I love James Dashner and the first book of this series was really good so of course I enjoyed this book as well. The plot was interesting and just gets crazier as it goes. It flowed very well and there weren't boring parts. Seeing Michael navigate being a human for the first time was cool, even the idea that you can put a computer program in a body and make it a real person is crazy! I kept wondering if the people helping Michael were actually good or bad and
Remi Foliage
Feb 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
can I really trust agent Weber?
Virginia
Dec 11, 2014 rated it liked it
Welp, Dashner did it again. What is with authors who break trust with their readers over and over again nowadays? Why do we bother reading if in the pursuit of "the ultimate twist," nothing we read is real or makes sense?

It is beyond annoying. Why should I bother reading and investing time and energy in books that keep pulling the rug out from under me? Of course, I have to find out what happens, so I guess he wins again. But this is only because I am a Completist.
Ghazal Radwan
Jun 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
SOMEONE HAND ME THIS BOOK RIGHT NOW *CRYINNNNNNNNNNNGGG*
Josiah
Nov 20, 2016 rated it it was ok
Waiting long to start The Rule of Thoughts after finishing The Eye of Minds is hard to do in light of the mind-blowing revelation at the end of that first book of the Mortality Doctrine series. Michael, who collaborated with his hacker friends Sarah and Bryson in an effort to bring down the rogue Tangent known as Kaine, turned out to unknowingly be a Tangent like Kaine all along. Michael isn't human; he's a complex strain of computer code designed to think of itself as a teenage boy. None of ...more
Logan Chaput
Nov 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really good book. lots of things cleared up from the first book and near the end making whole new mystery. great story in general.
BRANDON SCHEER
Oct 10, 2016 rated it it was ok
PERSONAL RESPONSE:
This book is very hard to follow along with because it is fiction and does not make any sense to real life. There are programs that are made into real people with a heart and a brain. They go into a Coffin and that takes them to the Sleep, which is a digital world that they can do anything in like play games, hang out, and work. It is in the future because everyone has technology built into them like holograms and phones. I did not like this book as much as I thought I would
Daniel
Jul 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Oh NOOOO, it's happening again.

Once again, after falling in love with the first installment of a James Dashner series, the sequel has me very worried about where the last book is ultimately going to go. It's safe to say I was grossly underwhelmed by The Death Cure, so the outlook for The Game of Lives is admittedly pretty bleak. You get this sense that Dashner comes up with all of these brilliant ideas, but when it comes time to develop these ideas into multiple-book series, he loses his way a
Rose
Nov 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
This was an average middle book in a trilogy. We had the big reveal about one of the characters at the end of book 1. Book 3 will be the very exciting conclusion. Book 2 is rarely as good as either and TROT lives up to the formula.

Michael, Sarah and Byron are on the hunt for Kaine again, although this time Michael is now living in the body of Jackson Porter (Pinnochio became a real boy). This portion of the story is based more in the real world than the virtual world so it was a little less fun
♫✯Em loves Hollenstein✯♫❤the summertime and butterflies all belong to your creation❤
found it very hard to enjoy this one, which sucks as the first was great. i'll read the third, just because i'm a stubborn person. tons of needless plot and wasted time. bryson is literally the only character i don't hate.
Kaley Catron
Jun 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Ughh such a good series. Even for a second time this series is blowing my mind. I can't wait to dive right into the Game of Lives!!
Age Yglesias
May 04, 2014 marked it as to-read
Shelves: books-i-have
I NEED THIS BOOK I LOVED IT LIKE EVERYBODY ELSE!!!
WHY JAMES DASHNER, WHY?!?! THAT ENDING! :,( I CAN'T WAIT FOR IT TO COME OUT!!
Irina
Mar 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
JAMES! ARE YOU OK? :))
Jacob Kuckkahn
May 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Personal Response: The Rule of Thoughts was one of the most engaging books I read this year. The action was kept at a nice even pace and the story made sense. Unlike quite a few books I read this year, The Rule of Thoughts doesn’t rely on plot convenience for the most impactful parts of its story. The ending left some to be desired, but even if this wasn’t a sequel title this book could work well as a stand-alone.

Plot:
A young tangent boy wakes up in the body of a real human. Equally confused
Bookreads :): Rule of Thoughts 1 2 Jan 09, 2016 08:46AM
Characters types 1 3 Nov 04, 2015 09:52AM

• Behind Enemy Lines (Infinity Ring, #6)
  • Eternity (Infinity Ring, #8)
  • The Trap Door (Infinity Ring, #3)
  • Cave of Wonders (Infinity Ring, #5)
  • Curse of the Ancients (Infinity Ring #4)
  • Divide and Conquer (Infinity Ring #2)
  • The Revenge of Seven (Lorien Legacies, #5)
  • The Cydonian Pyramid (The Klaatu Diskos, #2)
  • The Power of Six (Lorien Legacies, #2)
  • The Fate of Ten (Lorien Legacies, #6)
  • The Fall of Five (Lorien Legacies, #4)
  • Fugitive Six (Lorien Legacies Reborn #2)
  • Insignia (Insignia, #1)
  • Dead Zone  (Blackout, #2)
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
  • Prodigy (Legend, #2)
  • Return to Zero (Lorien Legacies: Reborn #3)
  • I Am Number Four (Lorien Legacies, #1)
James is the author of THE MAZE RUNNER trilogy and THE 13TH REALITY series. He also published a series (beginning with A DOOR IN THE WOODS) with a small publisher several years ago. He lives and writes in the Rocky Mountains.

The Mortality Doctrine (3 books)
  • The Eye of Minds (The Mortality Doctrine, #1)
  • The Game of Lives (The Mortality Doctrine, #3)
“I've met some brave people in my life. And I've met some awfully stupid people. You're one of the rare ones that are both.” 14 likes
“I don't give a crap if you're a Tangent or a really smart llama. You're my friend and that's all that matters” 12 likes