Start by marking “Second Chance Summer (Chance, #1)” as Want to Read:
Second Chance Summer (Chance, #1)

Second Chance Summer

(Chance #1)

From the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of The Love Game and Playing for Keeps is a story of hope and the beauty of getting a second chance at the kind of love that comes once in a lifetime…

“You don’t get a love like ours and get to leave it behind.”

And Reese
200 pages
Published September 21st 2013

Start your review of Second Chance Summer (Chance, #1)
Emma Hart
Aug 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
SECOND CHANCE SUMMER is book 1 of the Chance series, and there is NO cliffhanger. There are loose ends that need tying up in both the second book and companion novels – to be announced – but I have tried my best to resolve the main story line in this book.
[~Ami~]♥Sexy Dexy♥
Sep 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
3 stars

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

I love books about second chance romance. Kia is back for the summer having left Reese a year before to go to college.

This was an nice simple romance without any crazy drama. Reese was a nice guy still waiting for the girl that ran from him and I can see other readers swooning over him.

It still beats for you Kia...Every day, every beat, it's all for you

What I didn't like was Kia and her reason for leaving last summer didn't feel justified enough for me. Then, fighting her feelings
Laurelin Paige
Aug 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It was such an honor for me to be an early reader of Second Chance Summer. Emma Hart has such an honest style of writing and, as in her previous books, she told another beautiful story with this one. She rocks her characters. They're very real and intense and I believe everything they say and do. I love how her voice isn't overly sentimental, but still filled with emotional depth. I adore Reese. And I super adore her supporting story lines. Really, beautiful.
Siiri (Little Pieces of Imagination)
Second Chance Summer starts just as your usual re-united couple stories do. Kia returns to her hometown and has a haunted past, Reese is the evercharming Southern lad who wants her back. They had a wonderful summer together and they still have the hots for each other. Kia's stubborness and past keep them apart though. We've all seen that before. It was a good novel that flew by and made me miss summer terribly. I really loved Reese and Kia grew on me, but I didn't form a true connection with ...more
books are love
Sep 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I received this book from the author in return for a honest review and boy am I glad I did.

This was so beautiful. There were some intense scenes and ones that we can all learn from but this was just amazing. Reese is another new book boyfriend. He's so precious and sweet and adorable. He is so in love with Kia and no matter how much she pushes him he comes back. He does this to show her that he is there for her no matter what that she is where he belongs.

Kia has a past that has affected how she
Alexia
Nov 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Disclaimer: I participated in a blog tour for this book.

Review:
It's hard to articulate exactly what this book meant to me. I related to Kia in a lot of ways,but there were ways that I didn't and couldn't relate to her as well. I couldn't relate to her relationship with her mother as I have a very close and loving relationship with my mother. But I related to her when it came to her father and to Reese.

When I was a baby, my father cheated on my mom multiple times and was abusive to her.
Tricia  Santos
Sep 23, 2013 rated it it was ok
**ARC provided by for blog tour and honest review**

So, this book was definitely not what I was expecting at all. I was expecting sweet. And I got insane. I mean, come on, the drama! I forgot how much drama there is in a small town where everyone knows your business before you even do. Second Chance Summer is a quick read about second chances, learning to forgive, moving on, accepting the inevitable, and letting yourself fall in love.

“You ran, and you’re doin’ it again. And you know why? It’s ‘
Sophie
Dec 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing

[review also posted on my blog http://beentherereadthatreviewedthebo...]

Before this review turns into a long-winded fangirling ramble, I have to say that other than Second Chance Summer, I’ve never read an Emma Hart book before. I had heard a lot about the author and liked the sound of her other books but none of the plots drew me in as much as Second Chance Summer did.

I don’t know yet what other readers have thought about this book, and I don’t know how it compares to other books by the same
Kayla
Sep 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Synopsis: “You don’t get a love like ours and get to leave it behind.”

“Kia James was never meant to return to her hometown of Harlan Grove, Alabama… But she has.
And Reese Pembleton was definitely not supposed to still be in love with her the way she is him… But he is.

Last summer was the summer to end all summers. It was the summer they both fell in too deep to get out, and try as she might, Kia can’t deny that whatever was there between them a year ago is still there. If she’s honest with
Sweets Books
Sep 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing

Ah to be young and to be in love. Have the fairytale life style and romance. Well if that's what your hoping to get from 'Second Chance Summer' then your going to be sorely disappointed. Cause its anything but that.

As our story starts we met Kia and you can't help but relate to her. She's a normal 19yr old girl with a shity life. But most of all she has that 1 true BFF that she can count on. Plus she has her college BFF who is the typical man-whore. But past that she actually goes after her
Tonya
Sep 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Second chance summer was a sweet story about first loves and second chances.

Kia fell in love with Reese. He was her love. But Kia is a little messed up because of her crazy family. Her dad ran out on her and her mom, her mom is a raging alcoholic and when Kia realizes just how in love she is with Reese she runs. She leaves Alabama and moves to New York to go to school.

She not only ran but hides from everything. She hides her heart, she hides from Reese and she hides her hurt and anger at her
J
Sep 27, 2013 rated it liked it
A nice romance set in Alabama about two people who had a wonderful summer together last year but then she went (suddenly) away to college in New York and left him behind wondering what happened. She comes home the next summer to deal with her alcoholic mother and she sees him again and the lust and spark is still there.

This was a well written romance, I liked the characters and the writer did really make you feel, through the dialogue and descriptions that you were in the deep south. But, not to
♠ Becka & Cerys ♠ | Spitfire Reviews
*Smacks my head on the computer desk* Why, oh why can't there just be 1 book per HEA? It wasn't a cliffhanger - thank God! But all the same, it makes me mad to have to wait 6-7months for the next installment, by which time, I won't even remember what this book was even about.
Dana
Sep 25, 2013 rated it it was ok
I struggled to finish this book. It was lacking something. I just can't put my finger on it. And the way it ends is stupid!
Jessica
Sep 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed, new-adult
4.5/5 stars

I was so happy to be a part of the cover reveal for this book! I love the cover and the blurb immediately had me hooked! (How sexy is a name like Reese?!) I jumped at the chance to receive an ARC of this book and was so excited I got offered the chance! (Thanks Emma!) To top it all off, I saw I was even mentioned in the acknowledgments! That is such a huge honor for me as a blogger- so thank you Emma! <3 <3

I absolutely fell in love with Emma's The Game series, so I already knew
Raima Rahman
Jul 01, 2017 rated it did not like it
This book was so bad that I got into a reading slump.
Isabel (Sab The Book Eater)
Come check out the giveaway on my blog for a chance to win signed copies and swag from Emma Hart!

Yet another book by Emma Hart that will make you fall in love... or frustrated that you're not in love. As frustrated as I was. But that's not the point! My point is: this book is sweet. The right kind of sweet that will fill your reading experience with plenty of happy sighs.

Second Chance Summer is the first book in Emma Hart's new Chance series. What a series opener! I've read the first two books
Kim
Sep 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Find this review and more at kimberlyfaye reads .

"This place is like a drug. It's the last thing you need, the thing you want out of your life but try as you might, you can't fight it. It keeps pulling you back in until you're broken, shattered and dependent."

"One year and Reese still haunts me. His voice is still an echo in my mind. I still feel his touch whenever goose-pimples snake across my skin, because the feelings are one and the same."

I love a good second chance love story,
Rachel R. (My Book Empire)
Jun 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, contemporary
Emma Hart never fails to make me swoon with her stories.

In Second Chance Summer, we have Kia, a teenager who wants a normal and quiet life in New York. She was trying to get away from everything, starting from her alcoholic mother up to her absent father. Then one summer, she decided to go back to Harlan Grove, and that’s when everything gets complicated once again, especially with having Reese, her ex-fling, around. Will Kia give her past a second chance? From being the small town girl and then
Jodie Squelch
Nov 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love Emma Hart’s writing ever since I read the memories series and this book was just as fabulous!
Kia James ran away from her screwed up home life to New York for college……She manages to avoid returning to Harlon Grove, a small town in Alabama all year but has to face the realities of home once summer break arrives….
Home for Kia was once a happy loving place till one night in her thirteenth year when her dad just ups and leaves without explanation…… this leaves Kia and her mom heartbroken…
Abi
Jul 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Emily McGee
Nov 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Second Chance Summer was my introduction to Emma Hart's books. Can I just say... Wow! This book is a perfect blend of all the things I love about the New Adult genre. The angst, love, heat and, of course, my weak spot a southern gentleman :) We meet Kia as she is coming back home from college for summer break. She never wanted to return to the life of a broken home and a neglectful drunk of a mother but, she had no other choice. Kia just wants to keep her head down and get back to school ASAP. ...more
Dianne
Feb 09, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
*Also posted at Oops! I Read A Book Again*

Thank you to Emma Hart for the review copy! This in no way affected my views of the novel.

Shockingly, this is my first book by Emma Hart, which feels so wrong and weird. But I've been meaning to start her The Game series ever since Sab named her Kindle Braden after the guy from Playing for Keeps. I went into Second Chance Summer excitedly and it was good until I felt tired of it.

I ended up reading this book in a span of two months because I just couldn't
Donna ~
Sep 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What an AMAZING read!!! I absolutely loved the connection between Kia and Reese. The depth of their love for one another was jumping off the page. I was happy to take their journey with them as it was filled with love, heartache, trust and the ability to overcome obstacles.

Kia James, a girl from a small town in Alabama who moves to New York to attend college and escape the pitfalls of her past. But summer break is upon us and Kia returns home after swearing she never would. Will she be able to
Holly Baker
Sep 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
*ARC received in exchange for an honest review*

I love Emma Hart's books and Second Chance Summer was no exception. True to Emma's usual style of writing, SCS is a great mix of fun, sexy and drama so if you haven't read it yet, you definitely should.

Kia James moved away from her hometown of Harlan Grove, Alabama to not only attend school, but to escape. Living in a small town where everyone knows your business and there's constant possibilities of running into the boy you gave your heart and
Zili
Sep 12, 2013 rated it really liked it

Second Chance Summer is the first instalment in Emma Hart's latest New Adult series. As with all of her books, Second Chance Summer features complicated and troubled characters who have a lot to overcome before they can find their HEA.

The Main characters Kia and Reese have known each other for forever, and after chasing Kia for a long time, Reese finally won her over. They spent the previous summer together before Kia ran off to New York to start Uni. A year later and Kia is back home and
Tamsyn Bester
Sep 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
** 4.5 Stars **
Second Chance Summer is a sweet love story about second chances… Kia James and Reese pembleton are a young couple who fall into a summer of young love and bliss, until Kia decides that leaving her home town for something better is her only option… Reese is left confused and heartbroken, and when Kia returns a year later, for the summer, his feelings for her haven’t changed.
Being back home, Kia realizes that it wasn’t Reese that she was running from a year ago – it was her fear
Mary Tatar
Sep 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Emma has done it again. She has written a book that I absolutely love. Second Chance Summer was one of those books that grabbed me right away. I loved that this book took place in the south in a small town where everyone knew everyone. This really was a sweet love story and the characters were strong and addicting. I can't help but want to be friends with them.

Kia James returns to her hometown of Harlan Grove after leaving a year ago for college. She not only left her life behind but also
Broadway Girl  Book Reviews (Beth Lattanzi)
Stars: 4.5

Have you ever wondered what it would be like to have a second chance at love? No more regrets of the past but just being able to be with that one person again?? Sit back and experience that with Kia and Reese in Second Chance Summer!

I fell in love with Reese. I thought he was so open and honest with his emotions that it blew me away. He knew exactly what he wanted and although he didn’t go right after it when it (she) left he gets a second chance. He knows that anger will only push
Jessica
Sep 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, e-books, new-adult
Kia James has had a hard life. Her dad left 6 years ago with no excuse making her mother into an alcoholic. Kia is forced to grow up and become the parent to can take care of her mother. After spending a year in N.Y.for college, she has to come home for the summer. She is dreading coming home after last summer when she fell completely in love with the oh so sexy Reese. She does everything possible to avoid him but when her car breaks down she is forced to go to his job to get it fixed.

Reese is
« previous 1 3 next »

• Noah (5th Street, #1)
  • Hector (5th Street, #3)
  • Felix  (5th Street, #5)
  • Gio (5th Street, #2)
Emma Hart is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of over twenty novels and has been translated into several different languages. She first put fingers to keys at the age of eighteen after her husband told her she read too much and should write her own.
Four years later, she's still figuring out what he meant when he said she 'read too much.'

She prides herself on writing smart smut

Chance (3 books)
  • First Chance Fling (Chance, #0.5)
  • Third Chance Together (Chance, #2)