Start by marking “Murder at the Dacha” as Want to Read:
Murder at the Dacha

Murder at the Dacha

Senior Lieutenant Pavel Matushkin has a problem. Several, actually. Not the least of them is the fact that a powerful Soviet boss has been murdered, and Matushkin's surly commander has given him an unreasonably short time frame to close the case.

Then there is the KGB colonel who seems a bit too interested in the course of Matushkin's investigation... and Pavel's womanizing
Published June 15th 2013 by Russian Life Books (first published May 24th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Murder at the Dacha, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder at the Dacha

Start your review of Murder at the Dacha
Steven
Applying five stars to a book is not, for me, based purely on literary merit. It is purely based on enjoyment. I would argue that Hilary Mantel is a finer literary writer than Alexei Bayer, but her two Wolf Hall books get five stars for enjoyment. While they happen to be highly literary as well, enjoyment also comes from plotting, authenticity, and also the context of the read. In my case, pure diversion!

This book is a really fine read. It avoids cliche, has mountains of human warmth, the plot p
Emmett Hoops
Jun 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. There's a gentleness to the writing, a decency behind so many characters -- rather the kind of people one would meet in Russia. They're not particularly bloodthirsty, though a few are beyond callous; along the way you will find interesting characters, a story that is as tightly wound as any detective novel you're likely to read in the next few years, and a new favorite author. ...more
Shari
Jun 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book and stayed up half the night to find out whodunit and why (and then had to read that part again to make sure I understood all the intricacies of the plot). Clearly, Alexei Bayer is a lot of smarter than I am (and a lot more devious).

I'd love to read another Pavel Matyushkin mystery; he's a smart, likable character trying to do his job in the midst of corruption, not unlike Donna Leon's Brunetti.
Paul Richardson
Mar 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A brilliant novel that really gives the feel of life inside the Soviet Union in the 1960s, and the life of a determined, dogged and likeable detective.
Syrdarya
Dec 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Senior Lieutenant Pavel Matyushkin is on a train, returning from the countryside with his girlfriend and her son, when he is called upon to intervene because a man is harassing a woman. He expects the result to be time consuming, but because he arrests this man, he is pulled into first an investigation into a string of burglaries and then into a murder investigation which could destroy his life.

A high-up Soviet official is found dead, and the authorities want the investigation wrapped up as quic
Daisy
Sep 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
(Thanks to the publishers for replacing my copy which was missing pages 159-166 or something--they sent a complete book to me with no questions asked. Mighty nice of them.)
David
Sep 26, 2014 rated it liked it
It's okay. As long as it's not at my dacha. ...more
Cphe
Dec 27, 2020
Meg
Mar 15, 2015

• Lovely War
  • The Whispering Skull (Lockwood & Co., #2)
  • Cibola Burn (The Expanse, #4)
  • The Hollow Boy (Lockwood & Co., #3)
  • Nemesis Games (The Expanse, #5)
  • Paradoxes of Education in a Republic
  • Know and Tell: The Art of Narration
  • Discourse on Method and Meditations on First Philosophy
  • Lord of the World
  • American Saint: The Life of Elizabeth Seton
  • One Beautiful Dream: The Rollicking Tale of Family Chaos, Personal Passions, and Saying Yes to Them Both
  • The Monsters and the Critics and Other Essays
  • The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (Chronicles of Narnia, #3)
Came to the US in 1975. Worked at a print shop on Long Island, graduated from Columbia College in 1980 with a degree in Italian literature. Studied in Bologna, Italy and got an MA in International Economics from The Johns Hopkins SAIS program. Worked for Educational Testing Service, for A. Gary Shilling, a Wall Street consultancy, Standard & Poor's, The Economist Publications. Started my own econo ...more

News & Interviews