Start by marking “Between a Rockstar and a Hard Place” as Want to Read:
Between a Rockstar and a Hard Place

Between a Rockstar and a Hard Place

Behind the music…

Being best friends with a mega-star has its perks and Nicole Wilde, music journalist, laps them up. But when said friend, Dylan King, gorgeous lead singer of The Burnouts, has zero sense of self-preservation – once a drop of alcohol hits his blood stream ‒ and an inability to keep ‘little Dylan’ in his pants, it also comes with responsibilities.

Now, Nicol
Published November 27th 2012

To ask other readers questions about Between a Rockstar and a Hard Place, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Between a Rockstar and a Hard Place

Emma
Feb 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: new-adult
Seriously I was sold on this book at the word ROCKSTAR. Top that with Portia MacIntosh’s real life experience working in the music industry I knew this was going to be my kind of book :)

I don’t usually get girl crushes but I totally wannabe Nicole or at least her BFF. Music, festivals all the elements the crazy rock ‘n’ roll lifestyle topped off with a cutting edge humour.

This novella sets the background for Starstruck brilliantly, giving a glimpse of the characters and their lifestyle. All the
Sandra
Apr 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2014, arc
The author provided me with a link to netgalley!

This was such a fun and quick read. I just couldn't leave it be. I didn't exactly know what I was expecting, but I was mesmerized by the stunning covers and the word 'rockstar' in the title. This was a novella, it had less than 100 pages and I read it in an hour or something. It was a really cool read. I would definitely recommend it, if you're also planning to go read the full novel, which I definitely am going to do soon.

This was cute. It was suc
Emma Star Crossed Reviews
This review was originally posted on Star Crossed Reviews I received this book for free from the Author in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.Firstly thank you to Portia for sending me a copy of this book for review.

This was a fun and hilarious read.

As cool as it sounds to be best friends with a Rockstar Dylan seems like a pain in the backside. He acted a little selfishly and I felt sorry for Nicole having to run around after hi
Lindsey
Amazon freebie 3/28/13
Lisa Bentley
Mar 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Before my quiet life of a book reviewer began I was a music reviewer. Music is probably my great love and when I was in my twenties and following bands around the country I often dreamed of the day that I would get to travel around with a band rather than just looking for my next gig hit.

Now, don’t get me wrong, I love reviewing books and I know for a fact that my auto-immune riddled body would not be able to handle the rock and roll life anymore but if someone said to me today that I would be a
Jessica Knox
A nice short read and lighthearted.
Alisha Tarran
Nicole Wiled has been best friends with mega-star Dylan King, since she was just starting out as a music journalist, and he tried to seduce her. There's plenty of perks, but when said rockstar, gorgeous lead singer of the Burnouts, has zero sense of self preservation, things are tricky. Once he's got a drop of alcohol in his system, Dylan only thinks about Little Dylan in his pants, and seeing as he's perpetually drunk, minding him is a full time job.

Nicole is at a day festival reporting on the
Clare Tasker
May 09, 2014 rated it it was ok
Rating more like 2.5)
This mini novel introduces us to Portia Macintosh’s main character Nicola Wilde and the rockstar in question Dylan King. We’re told that the author has enjoyed a similar rock n roll lifestyle to Nicola, after she fell in with a bunch of ‘rockstars’ at 15 years old and then “landed a job in the music industry”. We’re told Portia now wants to “spill the beans” and “share her secrets” through writing novels based on these events, and Nicola is obviously a semi autobiographical
Rebecca
Feb 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(Received from Net Galley in exchange for an honest review)

I absolutely loved reading Between a Rockstar and a Hard Place! It was fun, fast-paced and full of adventure, as well as a few gorgeous guys.

So the story begins at a festival that the main character, Nicole Wilde, is attending. When she attempts to find the lead-singer of Burnouts, Dylan King, everything goes tits up. From there on, Nicole is taken on a wild goose chase in search of the famous Mr King. Her little adventure includes a to
Simona
Feb 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*Book provided by author in exchange of an honest review*

Let’s talk about the cover for a second. I think it’s really gorgeous and catchy. The writing is beautiful and there are little details on it, which make the cover even more interesting. The colours add the right spark to it.

First of all, I’d like to say that I’m always very curious to read stories, which include music or musicians. Having a passion for music myself makes it really special to have an insight into this world.

This book is su
Isabell
Feb 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Originally posted on Dreaming With Open Eyes

Between a Rockstar and a Hard Place is a prequel to Portia MacIntosh’s novel How Not To Be Starstruck, released in March 2014.

In this novella we meet Nicole Wild, a twenty something music journalist. Nicole has been working in the music industry for a long time. Hanging around with musicians, attending gigs and write about them. She is attending a Radio Summer Road Show in a little town. She is best friends with Dylan King, best known for being lead si
Katey Lovell
Feb 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
The Blurb-

Feb 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This novella has totally got me ready to read the longer novel and I am so looking forward to seeing where these characters end up.

Bad boy Dylan is an infamous rockstar and takes his star status for granted. Sleeping with fans, partying into the morning and drinking too much champagne means he’s often late for everything. His tour manager Claire is exasperated by his immature behaviour and so hands the reins over to Nicole: the only person who can keep Dylan under control.

Dylan has to be on th
Leah
Feb 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
When Portia MacIntosh emailed me and asked me if I would like to review her novella Between A Rock Star and a Hard Place, it was a no brainer. I love books set in the music world, I love books where people are best friends with rock stars and I love it even no when there’s no agenda there (ie. them sleeping together). It’s nice to read a book about a rock star and his best friend and there be no shenanigans – although I can’t think it’s too hard for Nicole considering the sheer amount of people ...more
Stacey
Feb 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review from Fairy Tale Ending Book Reviews

Copy received as part of the Gosling Girls Book Tour

Brief synopsis: Behind the music…

Being best friends with Dylan King, gorgeous lead singer of The Burnouts, can be hard work - once the alcohol hits his blood stream, 'little Dylan' takes control!

Now, Nicole has to track down Dylan in time to play a charity gig tomorrow. Half a dozen groupies, a haunted hotel, a tattoo parlour, a reality show runner-up and a crazy bed-hopping, sleepless night later – wil
Jess Bickerton
Feb 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
First of all a huge thank you to Portia and GG Book Tours for the chance to join this gorgeous tour. I have to begin by telling you all how much I love the cover of Portia's debut novel! It is really gorgeous and eye catching!

I have to admit I am still finding it hard to believe that this is Portia's debut novel. Her writing style flows beautifully, making it an easy read. I love the fast pace of the story as it makes it a real page turner and really emphasises the crazy adventure Nicole is on t
Katie Edmonds
Jul 08, 2014 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars

See review at Bookish Treasures http://bookishtreasures.blogspot.co.u...

This was a fun novella following a music journalist’s evening trying to track down her reckless friend before he managed to destroy his career. There were a couple of things that stood out to me, the first being that she undertook this mission by choice. She isn’t some hapless PR person or some manager whose career is tied up with that of the errant rock star. She is simply a ridiculously good friend who is willing
Heidi
Feb 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Nicole, a journalist and best friend to high-profile band member Dylan, finds herself chasing said rockstar for a whole night. Yes, Dylan is often drunk and gets himself into strange situations but surely it can’t be that hard to find him and make sure he gets onto the tour bus on time for a charity event. Or can it?

I started reading this novella before I went to bed and only wanted to read a few chapters, but ended up reading the whole book in one go (it only took me an hour or so to finish it)
Kate’s Book Spot
May 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I got this eBook novelette when it was available as a free download from Amazon, I had been chatting to the author on Twitter and loved the sound of her books so I was looking forward to getting started.

It began with a quick introduction of Nicole’s friendship with Dylan, I loved the idea of being best friends with a rock star (yes I know they’re only human and they have best friends too but still – what a cool thought)! From what I could tell, Nicole really had her work cut out trying to keep h
Feb 26, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Originally posted on: http://lauraslittlebookblog.blogspot....

Nicole Wilde is a music journalist and best friends with super famous rockstar Dylan King. Lucky her you might think, but Dylan is prone to getting himself into all sorts of trouble and only Nicole seems to have the ability to find him when he goes off on one of his drunken outings. There is more pressure to find him as well as he has to be at a charity gig the very next day and if he's not at the tour bus by 6pm, they will leave with
Erin
Mar 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Firstly thank you to NetGalley and Carina UK for approving me for this ARC!

This is the novella style prequel to Portia’s full length novel “How Not to be Startstruck”.

The story is all about Nicole and best friend/rock god/bad boy/toddler masquerading as a man Dylan. Nicole is a journalist but spends more of her time running after Dylan, keeping tabs on him and cleaning up after him.

I really loved the best friend relationship in this short story. It’s something I enjoy reading about even though i
Jo Notary
195k They say when you can 19t find something the first thing you should do is look for it in the last place you remember seeing it 13 but what if the thing you have lost is a super-famous rockstar, and the last place you saw him was on stage performing some of his greatest hits in front of 50,000 screaming fans?
Dylan King is best known for being the lead singer in The Burnouts. He is less known for being journalist Nicole Wilde 19s best friend. When their schedules see them working at the same
Swati
Feb 08, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-review
Nicola Wild and Dylan King are friends like no one else. While Nicola is a journalist, Dylan is a lead singer of Burnout. While Nicola is classy, sober and sensible of the duo, Dylan is drunken womaniser. When Nicola was assigned the task to cover the music event where Dylan was performing, she knew that it was not going to be an easy task because quite often Nicola has to take the responsibility of keeping Dylan from wandering while keeping up with her professional commitments. After the gig, D ...more
Maryline M's Bookshelf
Feb 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This review was first published at M's Bookshelf - http://mssbookshelf.blogspot.be as part of a Book Tour!

How great is this cover. I mean, really. Wow.
Thankfully, the story was every bit as fantastic as this cover. It has an amazing setting: behind the scenes of the rock and roll lifestyle of the rich and famous with an easy to love, funny main character and a very hot, very famous crush. And if that wasn't enough: a missing rock star.
Nicole seems to have it all: a job as a music journalist, bac
Natalie TBGWP
May 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What a cracking little read this is. I giggled from start to finish and was pretty gutted when it ended even though I knew it was a prequel and I had more to come.
We follow Music Journalist Nicole Wilde as she goes on a wild goose chase trying to find best friend and rock god Dylan King.
Nicole is boss, she has a great sense of humour and her loyalty to Dylan is brilliant. The plot and writing style are both fast and fluent and it is honestly something that would be great for you to read as a q
karmaforlifechick
Apr 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Nicole Wilde, a music journalist and Dylan King are best friends, but Dylan is a wild one, popular rock star and also popular with the ladies. The problem is Dylan needs a mom more than a friend and this is the role that Nicole finds herself. After a concert with his band, The Burnouts, Dylan disappears and his manger seems to expect Nicole to find him. This leads Nicole to many strange locations around town to find Dylan and bring him back before the tour bus leaves without him! The relationshi ...more
Jun 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Nicole's best friend is a rockstar and after a gig goes AWOL, she is the only one that is capable of tracking him down and controlling him. So Nicole spends the whole evening racing around the town hunting him down and along the way meets a pop star to join her.

I found this book very quick and easy to read and looking forward to reading 'How not to be Starstruck' (the follow on from this novella)
Book-shelf Shelf
Feb 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A story about being friends with the stars and looking for them for most of the night! An total insight to who the rich and famous live and play. Written with a comical view the story is fun and fast and throughly enjoyable. One problem is its length. It feels like it is an intro to get to know the characters, which if it is, fantastic. But if not, it should be. Love the style of writing and the characters and look forward to seeing a lot more.
Tash
Jan 24, 2015 rated it liked it
This was a quick short read for me as a prequel to a full-length novel. It was ok, I don't know whether I will pick up the novel, but the characters were intriguing and the storyline was full of ups and downs chasing throughout the book. It really wasn't my cup of tea but for anyone who wants a starting prequel to a rockstar-tour vibe novel, this is for them.
Samantha Tonge
Feb 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great little read and a window into the wild - and sometimes wacky - world of being a rockstar roadie. MacIntosh writes with warmth and pizazz, creating a hilarious array of vivid characters. You can't help but warm to loyal Nicole. For me hot and helpful Troy was a little too good to be true at times, but provided a great contrast to selfish, yet lovable Dylan. Huge fun!
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Boy in a Band (A Morgan Mallory Story)
  • Play for Me
  • Untitled
  • Zenith Falling (Zenith Trilogy, #1)
  • Simplicity
  • Metal Heart
  • Ache (Punk, #1)
  • Rock Radio
  • No Strings
  • Trapdoor
  • Rock Chicks
  • Front Man (Front Man, #1)
  • Dazed: The Story of a Grunge Rocker (The Dazed, #1)
  • Rock'n Tapestries (Rock'n Tapestries, #1)
  • Three Steps to Heaven (The Raiders, #1)
  • Angela's Salvation
  • Trapped Under Ice (Rocking Romance, #1)
  • Conflicts of the Heart
Portia MacIntosh has been ‘making stuff up’ for as long as she can remember – or
so she says. Whether it was blaming her siblings for that broken vase when she
was growing up, blagging her way backstage during her rock chick phase or,