Start by marking “Sex, Drugs and Meditation” as Want to Read:
Sex, Drugs and Meditation

Sex, Drugs and Meditation

“Bracingly honest, funny and rewarding, this is a book you can’t put down.” Sydney Morning Herald

“Truth is more compelling than fiction.” Daily Telegraph.

"Perfection. Sex, Drugs and Meditation is one of the best memoirs I have read in years. Humble, witty and so very, very true. All I wanted was for this book never to end." Walter Mason, The Universal Heart Book Club.

Wicke
Published April 1st 2013 by Pan Macmillan

To ask other readers questions about Sex, Drugs and Meditation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sex, Drugs and Meditation

Start your review of Sex, Drugs and Meditation
Louise Cusack
Apr 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoir
This book changed me.

I'd love to leave my review at that, but I want to say more. Mary-Lou's honesty about her life humbled me,and her struggle to find peace in an unbearable situation helped me feel better about myself. I'm not quite sure why. But it did. I felt uplifted, appalled, and teary at times.

Sex, Drugs and Meditation is great raw read that speaks to the inner child in all of us who got dealt a crappy hand. It's a map to lead you away from pain and into peace. And it's funny! So funny i
Lisa Walker
Aug 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
‘Sex, Drugs and Meditation’ is ABC radio journalist Mary-Lou Stephens’ first book. This memoir about personal transformation has an unusual structure. A ten-day silent meditation retreat provides the frame and the backdrop to her story.
Mary-Lou’s decision to take the retreat is driven by a re-structure at the radio station where she works. Enter Elliott Purvis, her sociopathic boss. While radio has given Mary-Lou a haven and a purpose, she realises she may have to abandon it. Can she find a way
Ashley
Apr 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
I began this book thinking I would learn that meditation can solve everything. I feel like my assumption was justified since the technique Stephens learned appears to have helped her gain control of her 'monkey mind' and to behave in a way that she is proud of instead of avoiding nasty situations through fear. This book was full of personal learning for me and the messages I got from this book were:
-practice self-reflection to avoid being merely reactive;
-your happiness cannot be determined by e
Nene Davies
Apr 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
I loved this book and ended up feeling as though the author was a close friend. The descriptions of her time at the meditation centre were beautiful and painful and honest. Her story was wildly colourful (compared with my own life!) and I was hoping all the way through that this clever, bright, funny lady would eventually find peace. A fab read.
Rachael
May 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: home-library
I inhaled this book, purchased yesterday, finished this morning. It's already dog eared & marked, paragraphs underlined, which I've never done before. Life changing. ...more
Petra Kelly
May 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It’s a story of redemption but there is nothing sentimental about Mary-Lou Stephen’s memoir Sex Drugs and Meditation. Using the ten days of a Vipassana meditation retreat, one of the more serious forms of Buddhist practice, as a framework, her story traces her tough journey from a shadowed childhood through a wild young adulthood to the decade of her forties where she finally manages to wrestle her professional and personal demons to the ground.
But it’s not the handsome prince who saves her; Ma
Mary-Lou Stephens
Apr 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
The Get Reading review

This is the true story of a woman with a talent for self-sabotage who learns to sit still, shut up and start living and loving. With the aid of therapy and NA/AA she has overcome a tricky childhood; drama school; drug and alcohol addiction; the lure of performing in late night gigs; and her spectacularly poor taste in men. She has landed a dream job as a broadcaster for the ABC. Life is looking good. Except that Mary-Lou has a new boss, a psychopath in a suit. Determined t
Susanna Freymark
Mar 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
What an open, forthright story. I was worried at first about the story setting.
A ten- day silent meditation retreat didn't sound engaging. How wrong I was.
With flashbacks to her colourful past, her previous relationships explored and her childhood laid bare, the author managed to weave her narrative among the trials of daily life at the retreat. She lays her story bare, without judgement and explores the motives for her actions.
This was such an easy book to read. I had to read fast in my lunc
Tori
Jun 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Mary-Lou Stephens memoir is raw and honest. I really enjoyed reading about the inner-workings of the mind during meditation. I think this book can help a wide spectrum of people as so many of the things Mary-Lou writes about are things everyone struggles with whether they practice meditation or not. I really appreciate the authors honesty, she reminded me of my best friend, and I feel I have a better understanding of how other people think after reading it.
anita
Jul 27, 2013 rated it liked it
I felt a bit disturbed most of the way through - the writer's monkey mind was affecting me too! I guess I expected, by about day three or four of the retreat, it to become much calmer. That didn't come til right at the end.

I can totally relate to the displaced feeling the day Mary-Lou left the retreat centre...

The tone was much slower and calmer then and I'd have liked to read more of what happened next - the book seemed to end abruptly to me. Maybe it's in the next one? :-)
Jennifer Burge
Oct 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading this memoir and I appreciated the degree of honesty with which Mary-Lou recounted her "sins". It's a wonderful read that reminded me how we tend to believe that OUR transgressions are the worst and everyone else must be living a life of blissful ease in comparison. Sex, Drugs, & Meditation is a poignant illustration of how we are very often our own worst enemy. I look forward to reading more from Mary-Lou Stephens. ...more
Meg Vann
Stephens explores her very interesting life, filled with rock'n'roll, risky choices and their consequences. A reflective memoir, yet the author's unfolding realisations kept the story careening along with the pace of a car chase. Told in flashbacks and snippets that anyone who meditates will recognise as the hectic mind at work, this is an inspiring story, with plenty of acerbic humour to leaven the sometimes painful depths.
Skylar
Apr 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I had no idea what to expect when I won a copy of this book from Goodreads. I didn't know the author, and I'd never heard of the style of meditation she learns in the book. It was fascinating and really well written, and I totally got sucked into it. I do wonder how this book played with the evil boss...
Christine
Aug 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
I was lucky enough to hear Mary Lou speak about this book. Fascinating talk followed by an unexpected meditation session and half an hour of questions. It is hard to reconcile the intelligent, confident woman I listen to on the radio with the insecurities she describes in the book. She's a wonderful advertisement for meditation. Looking forward to her next book - it's about marriage.
Deborah Maree
Jun 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Although this book created intrigue into the mechanism of Vipassana meditation, the authors personal story was not interesting. I found it to be a badly written Australian version of Eat Pray Love (I mean I don't even want to compare it to this amazing book) with too much dirty language and emphasis on the negative ..... Until the last 15 pages. Too late for my liking!
Lyn Ryan
I felt that the author was brutally honest in her account, honest with herself and with the reader. This brave account is full of insights for anyone who has had an addiction or done any 'interior' work.
Karyn Sarbach
Feb 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant book..........once you pick it up you just don't want to put it down! If you've ever wanted to know about meditation, this book is a must read. Mary-Lou is a fantastic writer - you cry laughing.......love love love it!!
K
May 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this but do think the title is all wrong for this engaging and beautifully written memoir. It has greater sensitivity than the title would suggest.
Vicki
Mar 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Simply written and yet so raw. The concept of survival presents as an intriguing concept. Glad there is a happy ending.
swtchrypie
May 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
I thought this book was very good. I enjoyed reading Mary-Lou's journey to find enlightenment.
Melissa
Apr 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Not sure if I have the guts to do the 10 day meditation retreat, but it's fun to think about and imagine.

Maybe one day…

Great book.
Jodie Miller
Aug 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I've probably read it three times now, and each time I find a new takeaway. Disclaimer: Mary-Lou is a personal friend. Watching her journey with this book gave me so much joy and learning and her generosity and humility continues today. Right now, she's volunteering at Vipassana again. She walks her talk, is open about her life and experiences, has a wicked and wacky sense of humour. Why did I not write this review years ago when I first read your book, Mary-Lou?
Melissa
Mar 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Sex Drugs and Meditation reminded me that even though I have weird thoughts or crappy childhood memories or a checkered angst ridden relationship history, I’m okay, I’m still here and its alright and so is Mary-Lou Stephens. You don’t have to be a meditator to appreciate the turbulent mind of one. Negativity, self-doubt, insecurities and fear plague us all as do the regrets we walk around with or the self-denigrating decisions we make about who we are based on the careless actions of others. Bul ...more
Inez
Jun 26, 2013 rated it it was ok
Another self angst book. Bit of a yawn.
Nour Elgrah
Courtney Johnston
Sep 05, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 next »
The global community 1 3 May 31, 2013 12:35AM

• Sick to Death: A Manipulative Surgeon and a Healthy System in Crisis--a Disaster Waiting to Happen
  • Gulliver's Wife
  • Almost French: Love and a New Life in Paris
  • The Unwinding of the Miracle: A Memoir of Life, Death, and Everything That Comes After
  • The Wright Brothers
  • Rosemary: The Hidden Kennedy Daughter
  • Everything is Horrible and Wonderful: A Tragicomic Memoir of Genius, Heroin, Love and Loss
  • Between Breaths: A Memoir of Panic and Addiction
  • Gregor the Overlander (Underland Chronicles, #1)
  • Confessions of a Sociopath: A Life Spent Hiding in Plain Sight
  • The Empath's Survival Guide: Life Strategies for Sensitive People
  • Our Souls at Night
  • Serpent's Wake: a Tale for the Bitten
  • Hallelujah Anyway: Rediscovering Mercy
  • The Land Before Avocado
  • Nothing Ventured
  • The Complete Persepolis (Persepolis, #1-4)
I've been a radio presenter, singer/songwriter & actor. Now I write books and live in paradise. Mailing List: http://bit.ly/ZR45up

Mary-Lou has garnered rave reviews for her memoir Sex, Drugs and Meditation, the true story of how she changed her life, saved her job and found a husband, all with the help of meditation. She lives in Australia with that very same husband and a hive of killer native b