Start by marking “Love Me for Me (Safe Haven, #1)” as Want to Read:
Love Me for Me (Safe Haven, #1)

Love Me for Me

(Safe Haven #1)

A fresh start...

Published March 26th 2013 by Calluna Vulgaris Books

To ask other readers questions about Love Me for Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love Me for Me

Start your review of Love Me for Me (Safe Haven, #1)
Anna
Apr 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
4 moved-me-to-tears-stars!

Welcome to How this book schooled Anna 101

*Major major spoilers ahead but I will try not to! this is an open-book lesson so proceed if you will: graded as pass/fail gauged on how bad I wailed like a new born baby

1) Read the blurb very carefully ! Two broken souls helping each other heal.... Not one mention that Alex was a foster-care kid. I'm a sucker for this. Anna's grade : AUTO-FAIL.

2) The MAJOR Mystery of Serena and why her soul was broken. Although this story was
Vikki ~ *squee* lite ~

Meh. I though I would love this one. It hits all my buttons - abused heroine, troubled hero, saved by loved etc. but I just wasn't feeling it.

Somehow Alex had this psychic thing going on where he just knew the right way to deal with Serena before he even new what her issues were. I actually kept expecting it to come out that he knew somehow, because he was just too perfectly careful with her, pretty much from the moment they met.

We don't really get to know anything about Alex, except as it
Sheri
Mar 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Serena has gone off to college to try to start a new life for herself and try to forget her hurtful past. She is doing a good job of keeping her head down and keeping to herself until she meets Alex. Tattooed, mysterious Alex is hiding his own skeletons.

I really liked this book. Serena and Alex have amazing chemistry but both are afraid of being hurt. Their interactions were intense and incredibly sexually charged. Both characters were crafted out well with their actions being true to their
Jenna Howard
Jul 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: new-adult
I really wish Goodreads did 1/2 stars. Someone needs to get on this.

Because this was a 3.5 for me but I upped it (rare for me to do) because I loved all the characters so much.

Love Me tackles so really complicated issues and I love me dark & twisty characters. Serena has traveled across the country to get away from her past and is determined to not repeat her past self-punishments, which includes boys for the wrong reasons. But Alex is right. Oh so right. I know the blurb describes him as a
Jacqueline's Reads
Apr 10, 2013 marked it as considering
I'm a sucker for tats... le sigh.

A fresh start...

It’s been three years since Serena King learned to say no—no to the boys that were a desperate cry for help, no to the extra weight she put on in self defense, and most of all no to the abuse that has haunted her since she was fifteen. Now a sophomore in college, all she wants is to be normal. The last thing she expects is a guy who can make her want... make her want everything.

A new guy...

Alex Blackthorn is a bundle of contradictions, a sexy dark
Misty Baker
May 09, 2013 rated it liked it
**A 2.5 Review**

I get called names on a fairly regular basis. I don’t know if you have noticed or not, but I spend an exorbitant amount of time criticizing people’s livelihoods. Because of this (the criticizing) I usually shake of the name calling and contribute it to a “knee-jerk reaction.” But a few years ago (I’m going to say like 4 – I’ve slept since then) I was corned by a coworker (shortly after Tweeting “made another one cry today…2 points for me!”) and was smacked with the mother of all
Shirlyn Chin
Jul 21, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: with-reviews
The romance genre has a few recipes that are tried and true. They are mass-produced with different covers, characters, names and writing styles. Many people do not mind as those stories move them to tears every time. However, I’m one of those people whose tear ducts adapt and build up resistance over time. That and my more critical personality are all God’s gifts so gentle readers, don’t get riled up and please understand that I’m but a common reviewer while continue reading this.

Geez, that
Kathleen
May 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Can a person who is completely broken from a traumatic past learn to trust and love again?

Love Me For Me is a powerfully intense story about two broken people who come together and help each other overcome their traumatic pasts, it is an emotional story that will pull at your heartstrings.

In the first book of the Safe Haven series, author Kate Laurens weaves a heart wrenching tale written in the first person narrative that follows twenty-two year old Serena King's journey to rebuild her life
Maija

Source: I received a copy for review purposes

No matter how many New Adult books I read I can't get enough of them. They all have something special in them that makes them different from one another. If in Beautiful Disaster it was the drama, in Fallen Too Far it was the connection between the characters, then in Love Me For Me it's definitely the emotions, it's a very heartfelt and emotion-packed love story.

This book is an emotional roller-coaster, either taking you as high as love and happiness
Tana
Apr 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Love Me For Me by Kate Lauren's

This novel Love Me For Me is what we consider a new adult romance novel, Kate Lauren's writing is good, story flows well. I would say that it's a story you don't want to stop reading because you want to know what is going to happen and what secrets they are holding on too. I really liked Kate's writing style and got hooked into this story very easily.

We meet Serena and Alex who are both attending college, Alex appears to be drop dead gorgeous and when he talks to
JenniferJ
Apr 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Very realistic story! Amazing actually as it could have been describing any number of people I know or knew at some point in my life. Selena has a few secrets about her past and the one person she should have been able to trust, (her mom), fails her by not believing in her which caused a drastic measure to take place in Selena that takes years to unwind and she wont trust or let anybody get that close to her to confide in again for fear of being treated same as her mother treated her only she ...more
Deborah
Aug 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this story by Kate Laurens. Serena's inability to share the painful events of her past (even with her best friend) and her fear of being treated differently/rejected/not believed should those events come to light was written so skillfully that you felt as if her anguish and fear was yours. And Alex, what can I say? Alex was wonderful and so perfect for Serena. He had a maturity beyond his years in the way he dealt with his own demons. The manner in which he cared for Serena made ...more
Trisha
Jul 19, 2013 rated it liked it
I really liked Alex. I mean, the cover of the book helped - I love this couple. I know I've seen them on about 100 other covers, but this one is unique and they never fail to make me smile and hope for a HEA for them. *sigh* Such a lovely cover.

I really liked Alex. His story was different from the typical NA format. He had a unique personality and I really appreciated how much patience he had but also that he didn't lose himself in Serena and her problems.

it's a great beginning. I'm curious to
Wolfie
Jul 08, 2013 rated it it was ok
Been there done that.
Damaged H meets damaged h, they fall in love, yada, yada, yada. This isn't a "bad" book. It's just the same ole story as so many other books I've read. It's also pretty short for what I paid for it. :(
Sara Williams
Jul 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Amazing Stars!

Warning: If you haven't read this book, this review may potentially have some spoilers in it. I don't want to ruin it for anyone, so read at your own risk.

This is a great book! I loved it. I loved the characters, the plot, almost everything about this book. I also really, really absolutely love the cover!! It, and the title, is what really drew me in.

First of all, we have Serena. She was a great heroine. She was sensitive, secretive, shy, hesitant, and a little bit broken. But
Lyndsey Gollogly
Jan 02, 2020 rated it liked it
Didn't take long to read I felt compelled to finish it in one go. Luckily it's a short book. It flowed nicely which is why it's so easy to read. You're heart reaches out to Serena as she deals with her abusive past its a feel good ending seeing her get through the other side!
Recommended for those who enjoy a quick read.
Keren Hughes
May 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I'm not entirely sure how to proceed with this review. When I was first sent the email by RABT about participating in the tour, I read the synopsis and agreed as it seemed like the sort of thing I would enjoy. In a way I was right. Yet I later learned that it opened up old wounds. It didn't make me dislike the book, it actually made me empathise with Serena on a level I didn't think possible before I started reading.

Serena is at college. It's been a fresh start for her since getting the
Jamie
Apr 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars! This was a heartbreaking tale, but no less fantastic with its dark concepts and actions. A great start to what I'm sure will be a wonderful new series in the new adult genre.

Summary:
Serena King has secrets. Devastating, life-altering secrets that she keeps buried deep so the feelings of shame, guilt, disgust, and pain won't show. It's been three years since she changed the path her life had taken when she was fifteen. Three years of building a new Serena. Now a sophomore in college,
Cathy
Apr 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
First I have to say the author did such a great job explaining how the main characters were feeling that when their heart was pounding so was mine. I was addicted the minute I started reading. I was intrigued by the main character and wanted to immediately know more about her and what had happened to her. Everyone has skeletons in their past, some darker than others and most are too afraid to trust anyone with their secrets. That's one of the biggest points in this book; you have to learn to ...more
Jen
May 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was a cute story - I enjoyed the passion developing between Serena and Alex. The two of them had abusive pasts. Although the abuse was different, it still scared them inside the same.

Serena went to college to get away, start over, to bring her a new life. She tried hard to shut out her past. She didn't tell anyone. After all, if her own mother didn't believe her, why would anyone else?

Alex - wish they had his POV in this book - i'd love to hear his story - but what happened to him was
Stephanie- The Boyfriend Bookmark
Reviewed for The Boyfriend Bookmark

Click here for review

I am still reeling from this book. I thought this book was going to be so different than what it was. This book was a struggle to get through. Not because it wasn’t good or didn’t capture my attention but because of the desperation of the characters. It was a tragically beautiful story about loving oneself and learning to love and trust another.
Serena spent many years crying for help and the love and understanding from her mother that she
Tishia (Paperback Opinion)
May 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-ebook
Love Me For Me is the first book in the Safe Haven series by Kate Laurens. It's a New Adult romance about a college girl named Serena. She has moved away from home to get away from the painful memories of her past. She's trying to make a fresh start and become the kind of person she wants to be. The abuse she endured as a teenager caused her to act out and do things she normally wouldn't do.

Serena is scared to get emotionally involved with men. She's afraid that they won't want her after
Jennifer  Ricketts (Donnie Darko Girl)
Whoa! This was a really emotionally intense as well as a hottt book, and yep, I just used three t's! The story begins by introducing Serena, a college age girl who suffered abuse when she was a teenager. During that time, she engaged in various unhealthy behaviors in order to cope with the abuse - her promiscuity, for one. I think because she felt like an object, she allowed herself to be treated like one. She didn't feel like she should take care of herself. Once she begins attending college, ...more
Wvqueen1 Cockerham
Aug 22, 2013 rated it liked it
Overall, I like this book. It’s a story about starting over, moving on, healing the wounds of the past and learning how to love someone (when you never thought it was possible). Enter Serena and Alex: two people with a lot of baggage (and I do mean both of them). Maybe it’s because Alex has had a couple of people who could be there for him and Serena had no one, but Alex is definitely the one who’s more in control and comfortable with his emotions, his past, etc. So, it just follows that he’s ...more
Kirke
Apr 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: review
*I received a copy from the author in exchange for an honest review*

Serena has just started college when she meets Alex and no matter how hard she tries to push him away, the guy keeps coming back. He has decided he likes her, now he just has to convince her she likes him too. Not as easy as it sounds.

To say Serena is jaded is putting it mildly. Girl's got issues a mile long. What has happened to her in the past has left her wary of men, partly because it's still an unresolved issue. All this
Gayla P.
Apr 29, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: new-adult
This book was a first for me. First in the sense that this is the first book I've read that lasted for five days. Yes! almost a week. Normally, I would go through books like they were candies - one after another. But this one had me constantly on debate with myself if I gotta finish it or not. Half of the time, I was tempted to just let it go and go on to the next item on my to-be-read list but being the bookworm that I am, I sucked it up and finished it even if it takes longer than what I ...more
Ginny
Apr 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: up-for-review
Warning: If you have any trauma in your past that you have yet to heal through, this may not be the book for you. It will be a trigger for some people.

This was a difficult book to read for me. Not because it is bad but because of things in my own past. However, I really loved this book. It is about healing. It’s about working your way to being better. About learning to love again, learning to trust and learning that it’s ok to let go.

Serena has a troubled past. Something happened to her as a
Jennifer LaFon - Book Bitches Blog
Love Me For Me is a disturbing but still heartwarming story. I know that sounds silly but it is a very sweet romance story that discusses some disturbing family situations. Alex Blackthorn meets Serena King outside of their American Lit class and feels an instant attraction to her. But, Serena is so freakin’ BROKEN and is just trying to get by. She wants nothing to do with a relationship and is very confused by her attraction to Alex. At first I was thinking, no way a guy is going to be as ...more
Cierra (The Book Lover's Report)
Eh. This book was sort of one of those 'dime in a dozen', where if you sort of like all the rest, then you have to sort of like this one too.

Quick summary: both have horrible past lives, they meet, instant attraction, past revealed, "I Love You.", some more trouble (usually by the heroine), and resolved-happily ever after into the sunset.

So, I thought this book was sort of okay. I mean, a lot of books nowadays are about this type of thing, so if you like all of those, then you'll like this one
Marci
Apr 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was a 3.5-4 star for me, I rounded up this time because I really enjoyed this story and the ending, even if I wanted a little bit more of an ending or epilogue!

I very much enjoyed the supporting characters, and was glad Serena had managed to find a friend she could trust in Kaylee (who gets her own book I believe). Alex was an absolutely wonderful character, everything about him was great even if I longed for more backstory on how he came into the circumstances of his life and how he could
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
The Boy 2 30 Apr 07, 2013 09:17AM

• The Dragon's Wing (Kit Davenport, #2)
  • White Lion's Lady (Warrior, #1)
  • Apartment 16
  • Instinctual (Rise of the Iliri, #2)
  • Who's Afraid Too?  (Tommi Grayson #2)
  • The Importance of Being Alice (Ainslie Brothers, #1)
  • The Love Game (The Game, #1)
  • Crimes Against Magic (Hellequin Chronicles, #1)
  • A Promise of Fire (Kingmaker Chronicles, #1)
  • Duchess in Love (Duchess Quartet, #1)
  • The Girl Who Digs Graves (The Gravedigger Series Book 1)
  • Stupid Girl (Stupid in Love, #1)
  • Gerard's Beauty (Kingdom, #2)
  • Damaged (DI Kate Burrows, #4)
  • Avoiding Responsibility (Avoiding, #2)
  • Spirit Legacy (The Gateway Trilogy, #1)
  • Damaged and the Beast (Damaged, #1)
  • You Got Me
Kate Laurens is a proud Canadian who loves beer, coffee, kickboxing and books. She loves to hear from her readers. She writes New Adult romance and falls a little bit in love with each hero that she meets in her stories.

I am no longer writing books under the name Kate Laurens.

Why? Well, simply because it took way too much time to promote three pen names. Instead, I have rebranded the Safe Haven

Safe Haven (5 books)
  • Love Me If You Dare (Safe Haven, #2)
  • Love Me Twice (Safe Haven, #3)
  • The Way You Love Me (Safe Haven, #4)
  • Say You Love Me (Safe Haven, #5)