Start by marking “Wizard's Guide to Wellington” as Want to Read:
Wizard's Guide to Wellington

Wizard's Guide to Wellington

Nominated for a 2013 Sir Julius Vogel Award.

Two cousins from different worlds must rescue Wellington from evil wizards who want to wake a very dangerous taniwha.

Alec finds a magical book, "The Wizard's Guide to Wellingtowne," lying in the corridor of Wellington Airport. But it doesn't help answer his questions. Where is his father? Where is Perrin, the mysterious English
Published December 2013 by Coombe House (first published December 15th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Wizard's Guide to Wellington, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wizard's Guide to Wellington

Sally McLennan
May 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Alec and Perrin step in to try and locate Alec's lost father and untangle a magical plot to awaken a sea monster or taniwha! When Alec is pulled willy nilly into a magical world that underlies present day Wellington it is sink or swim — sometimes literally!

I thought this a smooth, enjoyable novel for younger readers. It is the product of a freely used imagination, a deep love and knowledge of Wellington, and great craftsmanship when it comes to writing. I think it is destined to be a classic.

My
A.J.
Apr 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Goodreads suggests that in lieu of reviews authors write short essays about the inspiration for your book - well here goes-

When my children were very little we would explore some of the magic places in Wellington, the cablecar, the botanic gardens, Eastbourne, Seatoun, the waterfront, finding "map rocks" on both sides of the harbour, pitted with holes and lines for streets.

The first ideas were written down, but they were more of an actual guide for Wellington than a story.

And then LOTR came - an
Debbie
Apr 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly loved reading about Wellingtowne, the magically unstable hotspot of Wellington. The well-known landmarks and geography of Aotearoa's capital make a fanastic setting for a magical adventure. I would have really loved this as a kid and reading it as an adult made me quite nostalgic for Wellington.

Mrs Bee stood out as my favourite chjaracter and she had most of the best lines, including her quote on the back cover, "You cannot trust anything this book says, it's all far too exciting to
Georgia
Apr 25, 2013 rated it liked it
This book is a great magical fantasy story about Wellington (or Wellingtowne) in New Zealand. It follows the journey of Alec and his cousin Perrin who search through the magical and non-magical worlds in Wellington in order to find Alec's father.

While I personally didn't find the book particularly captivating, I realise that it wasn't aimed at someone with a high reading level. The story is better suited to someone on a lower reading level, pre-teen age.

However, overall the story was good, the w
Natasha
May 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
This is a great magical story about Wellington. I personally really enjoyed it because I have grown up in Wellington , so it is fun to see all the different landmarks included in the book. This story follows the journey of Alec and his cousin Perrin who search through the magical and non-magical worlds in Wellington in order to find Alec's father.

This book is probably more suited to 8-12 years but that doesn't mean if you are older than that you won't enjoy this book. I would recommend this book
Angela Oliver
A fun and fast-paced adventure novel set in New Zealand's own capital city, Wellington. Unfortunately for this book, I read it very quickly over a two day period whilst attending a convention in the aforementioned city, and could not give it the concentration it truly deserved. However, I enjoyed the storyline, the little quirks of the characters/plot and the creativity. It reminded me a little of Diana Wynne Jones. Children aged from 7-11 should devour this book.
Karen
Apr 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
Nice little story. Fast-paced and full of action.
Kerry
Apr 23, 2013 rated it liked it
I won this book in a giveaway here on GR, and I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the book when it arrived. Hardback with a handdrawn map on the end papers, lovely crisp white paper and well laid out text. Not so taken with the taniwha on the cover and I also felt there were a couple too many fonts in use. The author was inspired by a Wellington City Council’s Writers Walk plaque from Bruce Mason's “Omens and Portents”, taniwhas, as well as the fact that Wellington is where the Tolkien ...more
Adele Broadbent
Alec, his little sister Molly, and his mum are waiting at the airport for Alec’s Dad. They are all supposed to meet up to welcome an English cousin called Perrin. But Dad doesn’t turn up and they miss Perrin who has arrived at the airport but is more worried about finding her Wizard’s Guide. She must’ve dropped it – but where?
Alec picks up the guide, completely unaware who it belongs to or that it is a magical book by the name of Ike. And this is where Alec’s amazing adventure begins.
Perrin find
Mar 29, 2013
Oliver
Jan 21, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: january-2019
I read this book a long time ago, so I gave it a quick reread before writing this review.
I was unfortunately not a fan of this book. I did not like the lore in this book, I found the world, that was created, was not one I found particularly interesting nor was it one I wanted to immerse myself in.
To be honest the book felt a little like a Harry Potter fanfiction.
Also, maybe I just missed it, but I don’t recall there ever being an explanation for why the ‘bad guys’ were doing what they were doi
Alexandra Morgan
Fee
Aug 19, 2016
Alison Stodart
Dec 16, 2016
A.J. Ponder first picked up a pen when the dinosaurs still roamed the Earth. She learnt sword fighting in order to defend herself from marauding T-Rex's.

A.J. Ponder has been writing for more years than she can count, and during that time has won a number of awards - including the 2012 Vogel Award for her short story "Frankie and the Netball Clone." Wizard's Guide was her first published novel. Sh