Start by marking “The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug - Chronicles III: Art & Design” as Want to Read:
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug - Chronicles III: Art & Design

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug - Chronicles III: Art & Design (The Hobbit Chronicles #3)

4.56  ·  Rating details ·  1,108 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug Chronicles III: Art & Design shares the design of Academy Award-winning filmmaker Peter Jackson's "The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug", the second film in the trilogy adapting the enduringly popular masterpiece The Hobbit, by JRR Tolkien. More than 220 pages long and including a special fold-out unique to this book, it is packed wit ...more
Published December 13th 2013 by Harper Design (first published December 12th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Hobbit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hobbit

Susan
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, read2017
Okay, I purchased this book at supanova (kinda like comic con but in Australia) and Daniel Falconer was there! Not only is this book super amazing for us Hobbit/LOTR nerds but he signed it as well!! 🎉🎉
Samuel
Feb 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is the fourth of these books I have purchased and read from Weta (three books on the Hobbit movies and one on Narnia) and have enjoyed every one of them! Excellent pictures, insightful text, excellent pictures ... I have to say that twice because that's what makes these books so great: detailed photos of objects glimpsed only briefly in the films and pre-production drawings of objects and moments from the films.

I was a little surprised that I enjoyed this book so much because I was more tha
Todd Ross
Dec 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This is a gorgeous book. Its beautifully bound and filled with awesome drawings, paintings, and CG renderings. It goes through the entire 2nd Hobbit movie showing Beorn's house and various iterations of his design. Its interesting reading their thought processes as they iterated on many of the designs for the film.

I of course hated all the pages devoted to laketown's master and Alfrid characters, because FUCK those guys and their shitty additions. Removing them entirely would do nothing but mak
Jeff Lanter
Jan 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Much like the last Art and Design book for The Hobbit, I thought this was fantastic and among the best art books you can buy. The design of the book, from the cover to each individual page is beautiful. It doesn't hurt that Desolation of Smaug has a lot of really interesting design choices from Mirkwood, the elves, Dale, and even Smaug who briefly appears at the end. That made this an exciting and enjoyable read. I also appreciated The Master's Portrait in the back of the book. His character was ...more
Theodosia of the Fathomless Hall
May 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: The geeks of Middle-Earth, the cinema-goers seeing The Hobbit, essentially fans of it!
Gorgeous everything, from the costumes to the scene work, the cover to the portrait of Stephen Fry's the Master of Lake-Town (Okay, perhaps not. Smaug seemed much the more apt to apply a fold-out to... but the portrait was ready-made I suppose).
Chronicles III: Art & Design does a spectacular job capitalizing off The Hobbit but well, I loved it nevertheless. Very recommended!
Mark
Apr 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
If you loved the first Chronicles that covered the art and design and characters and creatures of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey then you should know more or less what to expect in this volume. Covering the character concepts, costume and production design with some beautiful artwork by Alan Lee among others, The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug Chronicles: Art and Design delivers in depth sketches and paintings mixed in with some CGI renderings, production photos of select props and excellent ...more
Kate
Apr 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Gideon
Jul 13, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: own
As I'm reading these art books for The Hobbit movies, I'm realizing how tragic it is that they completely failed at making them good. There are things that are such good ideas and intentions that aren't borne out at all in the movies: such weird things they cite that the movies then fail at. For example, they talk about how Jackson wanted new designs for the orc and elves because he didn't want people to see the same things on the screen. Which doesn't really matter, an orc is an orc is an orc. ...more
Chris
Jan 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Once again, a great behind the scenes look at the Hobbit movie. This time it's the Desolation of Smaug (part 1), as there is a Chronicles IV which covers more of the movie. Always interesting to get the perspective of the great craftsmen that put a movie like this together. Lots of cool art, pictures, and inside tidbits from the movie. Only thing I was frustrated by, was very little Smaug in this volume...guess they are saving that for volume IV. Time to order it I suppose.
Mr.bbolt
Feb 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Ok. I didn't read this one. I re-read the hobbit, but Shelfari doesn't seem to have a way to indicate that. Tried to find another edition, but it just kept lumping it in with my original entry. Whatever.

Anyway, re-read The Hobbit. A masterpiece.
The movie ... not so much. I mean really, what that universal theme park ride conclusion with the melting gold. Gawd. Jackson is a hack.
Joyce
Dec 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
IF YOU LOVE "THE HOBBIT" BOOKS AND MOVIES YOU WILL ENJOY THIS BOOK. WONDERFUL PAINTINGS AND DRAWINGS. DESCRIBES HOW THEY CAME UP WITH THE IDEAS OF HOW EVERYTHING LOOKS. TALKS ABOUT THE CHARACTERS AND THE ACTORS PLAYING THEM. READING THIS BOOK YOU GET LOST IN THE STORY AND ALL IT'S CHARACTERS. IT IS A BOOK TO BE REREAD MANY TIMES!
Jeni Enjaian
This book, while more superficial than the second in the series, is no less amazing. This book focuses on the art and design. Consequently, the book is light on text but heavy on artwork. The artwork alone is worth the price of the book. I can't wait until the fourth book comes out so I can read about the creation of all the new sets and characters of the second movie.
Michael Alexander Henke
Apr 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: art, fantasy
Following the pattern set by the art books for the first Hobbit film, this first volume covering Desolation of Smaug has a more broad scope. You get character design, set design, prop design, commentary from the artists and gorgeous artwork on every page. The subjects include Beorn and his home, Mirkwood and its spiders and elves, Lake Town and its denizens, and of course Smaug himself.
Shaxar
Dec 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Still awesome and beautiful! I especially liked all the details on the worldbuilding for Mirkwood and Lake Town. Can't wait for the next volume!

September 2014 Update: Got it autographed! Thanks so much to Gus Hunter and Daniel Falconer for coming out to SL Comic Con with Weta this year!
Fox
Jul 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love Movie art books and the hobbit ones must be my favorite!! The art is beautiful and the paper is great quality. It is amazing to read how a movie of this size is made and designed. The amount of detail is amazing! SUCH A FUN BOOK!!!
Alexa
Feb 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fan-girl
By far the best design and concept-art collection I have ever read. Really in-depth and interesting without fluff or fan service. This is real art by real artists and it is fascinating. I want every book in this collection.
China Donapel
May 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Simply wow just amazing.
Lisa
Jan 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
love the hobbit love everything about it
Andrew Scholl
Dec 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great companion to the second Hobbit movie! The art is amazing, wish I could frame many of the pages
Jane
Feb 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
La película no me gustó casi nada, pero la verdad es que es un trabajazo y, las imágenes y dibujos recopilados en este tomo son geniales.
Joanna
Mar 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Entirely thorough and in depth. You can see the thought process of all the production design and costuming forming before your eyes. Beautifully detailed and incredibly illustrated.
Chia-Tung
Jan 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dragons, tolkien
Love it~ But I guess they moved most of Smaug's part to the other book... would love to read more about how they designed Smaug.
Kathy
Apr 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Beautiful! I loved seeing the creative process.
Bernadette
Dec 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Very good, as usual. However, I expected more of an in depth look at the development of Smaug.
Lou Anders
  • The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug - Visual Companion
  • The Art of The Lord of the Rings
  • Star Wars Storyboards: The Original Trilogy
  • The Art of The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien
  • The Music of The Lord of the Rings Films: A Comprehensive Account of Howard Shore's Scores (Book and Rarities CD)
  • The Art of Mad Max: Fury Road
  • Myth and Magic: The Art of John Howe
  • The Art of Star Wars: Episode V—The Empire Strikes Back
  • The Art of Blizzard Entertainment
  • The "Hobbit" Companion
Daniel Falconer joined Weta Workshop in 1996, shortly before The Lord of the Rings. With a degree in graphic design, majoring in illustration, Daniel has an enthusiasm for world design and the development of imaginary cultures and creatures as a means to tell stories. He also has a deep knowledge of Tolkien's Middle-earth, thanks to an avid interest in the books and associated materials, which fre ...more
More about Daniel Falconer...

The Hobbit Chronicles (7 books)
  • The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - Chronicles I: Art & Design