Start by marking “A History of the Ancient World” as Want to Read:
A History of the Ancient World

A History of the Ancient World

In a long and distinguished career, Chester Starr has written on topics ranging from early man, to the early Athenian democracy, to the role of sea power in the classical world. And one of his finest works--the product of his broad interests and expertise--has been A History of the Ancient World, long a standard work on the distant past. Now this landmark book is available ...more
Hardcover, 4th edition, 742 pages
Published March 28th 1991 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published 1965)

To ask other readers questions about A History of the Ancient World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A History of the Ancient World

Mel Bossa
This was so vast and incredible. I will try to organize my thoughts and maybe review later. But all I can say for now is: we are one race of human beings. We all have beauty, savagery and triumph inside us. No peoples have had the monopoly on war or murder. Throughout history, the torch of ignorance has passed from hand to hand. From tribe to tribe, then from nation to nation. And the most important thing I come away with after reading this, is the idea that humans have exhanged and traded since ...more
Nathan
This is a good overview of the ancient world focusing on the Mediterranean with less information on ancient Persia and China. It's hard to condense a couple thousand years into a few hundred pages and the book does its best to not be too superficial in its treatment. I honestly don't know how it could be better.

It reflects an older trend of more objective history, one that doesn't try to attribute motivations to peoples that don't necessarily share the same values as the rest of us t
Robert Palmer
Aug 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: history-ancient
I love history from any era. In college I took a few history classes, but none that covered the ancient world. So, I bought this book, which is a college textbook. It was a delightful read.
Sean Chick
Aug 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you are not called Greece or Rome he barely covers your history. Persia gets the short end of the historical stick. Yet this is a mighty achievement in historical synthesis.
Alex
Sep 24, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wanted an expansive survey and that is what I got. It dwells a lot on minutiae of governance and things like that, but to get the basics of a huge topic, it does a great job. Can be dry reading.
Michael Anderson
Jan 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All Greek and Roman Scholars
Shelves: history-greece
Takes you from the origin of Civilization to 670 A.D. Gives the big picture of the ancient western world.
Rob Shurmer
Jul 15, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ancient
Good intro level coverage. Clear, straight-forward prose.
Angela Fader
Jul 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While this book is full of information, some paragraphs are too dense making it difficult to read in sections. Overall, a great read and one of my (few) favorite non-fiction books.
Lettie Laferriere
Read this for a class at WSU.
Mai
Sep 01, 2017
Sabrina Grant
rated it did not like it
Nov 30, 2016
May 22, 2019
Keith
Dec 06, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Please correct some details and add better cover 1 12 Jul 13, 2017 04:13AM

• Religions of Rome, Volume 1: A History
  • The Roman Way
  • The Prodigal: A Poem
  • The History of Rome, Books 31-45: Rome and the Mediterranean
  • Amo, Amas, Amat and More
  • The Mammoth Book of British Kings & Queens: The Complete Biographical Encyclopedia of the Kings and Queens of Britain (The Mammoth Book Series)