Start by marking “Life by Committee” as Want to Read:
Life by Committee

Life by Committee

Some secrets are too good to keep.

Tabitha might be the only girl in the history of the world who actually gets less popular when she gets hot. But her so-called friends say she’s changed, and they’ve dropped her flat.

Now Tab has no one to tell about the best and worst thing that has ever happened to her: Joe, who spills his most intimate secrets to her in their nightly
Published May 13th 2014 by Katherine Tegen Books

Melanie
See more reviews at YA Midnight Reads

Eh. That is probably the best way to sum up my feelings towards Life By Committee. This was actually one of my most highly anticipated novels from Harper, but hopes can only go so far before reality kicks it in the butt. I felt rather apathetic towards Corey Ann Haydu's latest novel, and most of the nit-picks I had all led back to my thoughts on the characters.

So lemme talk about the characters first, since that's the case. I didn't care for them. Not Tabitha
Shoshana
Jan 03, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2014, young-adult
This was a tough read. I put it down several times, and came pretty close to not finishing it. Crux of the issue: I found Tabitha really hard to sympathize with.

At first, there was a lot I liked about her situation/set-up: her childhood friends dumped her because she developed (physically, style-wise, and boy-interest-wise) ahead of them, but she still feels she's the same person and their judgements are way too, well, judge-y; her very young parents (she was an "oops" baby, so to speak) are ha
Glass

So many mixed feelings. I don't remember last time I'd been this torn about rating a book. Or simply deciding did I like it at all. Life by Committee is a second novel written by Corey Ann Haydu and it was one of my anticipated reads after all great things I've heard about OCD Love Story. What I got in the end? Let's make a list, shall we?

Fangirling moments:

- All the parts about reading. As a bookworm, I could relate with all Tabitha's thoughts about reading and descriptions of how much she
Nov 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
16-year-old Tabitha is having a rough time. Her mother is pregnant, her father is a stoner, her friends aren’t talking to her because they think she’s too sexy, and the boy she’s falling in love with already has an overly-needy girlfriend.
When Tabitha finds the URL for an internet group in the back of a used book, she joins to find a site known as ‘life by committee’. Every
Dahlia
Jun 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Will leave a review when I am no longer mad over the fact that even when I thought I was dying of exhaustion at 1 am last night I could not put this book down and proceeded to finish it over the next two hours.
malayna
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars, favorites
MY OPINION: *****

This is one of the first books that I actually liked in a long time. I guess my view on books after reading Black City soured for a while. But I'm good again.

This was a really strong book that was unlike other contemporary novels. Let's just do a list of what I liked...

*Devon. He was AMAZING. I just loved him.
*The day when they all shared the secrets in front of the whole school. That was amazing and something that I wish could happen in real life.
*All the books in the book
*Eli
Lisa (lifeinlit)
Jul 04, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook
I’ve been so conflicted on my thoughts about this book, so writing this review has been very time-consuming and, honestly, a little difficult. I keep going back and forth. I liked it. No, I really didn’t like it. Well, I kind of liked it. Parts were awesome and I didn’t want to put it down. Then I hated it. Yes, it was one of THOSE kinds of books.

First let’s talk about the characters. We have Tabitha, who is all kinds of a hot mess. She’s hooking up with a guy she’s completely infatuated with wh
Defne (that-bookworm)
See the original review @ Creased Book Spines
I feel like this book could have been much, much better.

Life by Committee had one of most intriguing plots I've ever seen these days and that's probably why I just couldn't wait to start reading it. I don't start reading a new book before I publish the review of the previous one so I kept opening the cover of it and closing it again.

Our main character is Tabitha -Tabby- who has been left by her best friends because she apparently "changed", which mea
Jenni Arndt
Nov 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc-ebook
Upon finishing Life By Committee all I can think of is that I am... indifferent to it. I breezed through the novel and did enjoy reading it, but I failed to connect to it in any way so it was a very passive experience. This is a bit of a disappointment to me because I was such a huge fan of Haydu's OCD Love Story, but at least I did manage to enjoy the reading a bit.

I think my inability to really connect with the story was mostly due to the fact that I never felt like I got a real understanding
Emma
I struggled to decide what to rate this book but after thinking it over I decided I didn't really enjoy it. I didn't hate it but it wasn't great.

When I first read the blurb I was really intrigued and I was so convinced I'd love it. It definitely misled me; it wasn't what I expected. I desperately wanted to love it but it was pretty difficult.

Tabitha wasn't a main character I could connect with but the way everyone treated her because she "changed" was insane. Just because she grew boobs and her
Debbie Narh
good

0.5 Clouds because I'm feeling generous.

I don't even know why I tried with this one. I really don't. Everything is just everywhere and I had no clue what was going on. And I actually tried to like this one, reading until the very last page despite my many groans and screams of anger and frustration and head banging and almost throwing my E-Reader at the fucking wall.

The whole concept of Life by Committee is stupid. The whole community is insane, the rules aren't explained well and the assignme
Stacee
Nov 05, 2013 rated it did not like it

I love the idea of a secret society type thing based on secrets. Honestly, it's that part of the premise that kept me holding on. The rest of it, I didn't really care for.

I struggled with Tabitha's monologue. She comes across as manic and flighty and sort of mean and I just didn't like her. She was the main reason I wanted to DNF almost immediately. Even with the shitty way she was being treated, I couldn't bring myself to care about her.

And don't get me started on Joe. He's a sleezeb
B.A. Wilson
Mar 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: contemporary, ya
I stayed up all night reading this one. I couldn't separate myself from the characters or the story, and I think that pretty much says it all.
Sara Grochowski
A lot has changed for Tabitha in the last few months. Suddenly, guys have started to notice her… and she can’t say she doesn’t like the attention. Her friends, on the other hand, are less than thrilled. Tabitha insists she’s still the same person, just, ya know, better looking and with a sense of style, but her friends are convinced she’s traveling down a dark and dangerous path. Still, it’s hard not to wonder if maybe there is something wrong with you when you’re constantly being judged and cri ...more
Nara
Secret: I kissed someone else's boyfriend.
Assignment: Do it again.

Wow. I honestly did not expect this book to be so amazing. I have to admit, the book did start off a bit shakily- the initial chapters were basically just Tabitha pining over Joe, a classmate who she communicates with frequently online and who she apparently loves, despite his having a girlfriend. This initial drama was a bit much, to be honest. But then she found the Life by Committee website and she began testing her boundaries,
Jen Ryland
Life by Committee is sort of Gilmore Girls meets Mean Girls. There were things I really liked a lot about this book, and a few I liked less well, but overall I'm a fan.

I loved that Tabby was going through so many changes, both actual life events and shifts in the way she saw herself as a person. These changes, and how they affect her friendships, were portrayed in a extremely moving and realistic way. I also thought Tabby's relationship with Joe was a necessary and powerful part of the book, eve
Brittany
Mar 15, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: teen
Tabitha is the girl everyone loves to hate. It's the classic story of the average girl ending one school year seemingly unnoticed and returning in the fall totally transformed and suddenly the girls all hate her because she's hot and too many guys are noticing. The so-called friends she had totally drop her because they've decided she's not someone they want to be around anymore. Her hippie, stoner dad is too high to know what to do and her pregnant-again mom is too focused on the new baby and d ...more
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Aug 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
Actual rating: 3.5 stars

For more reviews, Cover Snark and more, visit A Reader of Fictions.

Back in May, I started Life by Committee and quickly set it aside. It’s not a reflection on Haydu’s sophomore novel or on any of the others I picked up and abandoned while in New York City for BEA. I just wasn’t in the mood for anything then. Haydu’s was, perhaps, especially hard to take. I was afraid that I wouldn’t enjoy Life by Committee, which I’d so much been looking forwards to after Haydu’s hard-hit
Christina
My original review of this title can be found here on The Book Hookup.

**SPECIAL NOTE:** An eARC of this title was provided by the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review. However, that did not influence this review in any way. All thoughts, quotes, and opinions will be of this version and not of the published edition.

Initial Thoughts and Rating: 3 stars! There were so many aspects that I liked about this novel, but sometimes I actually disliked how they were executed. At tim
Naoms
May 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Originally Posted on: Confessions of an Opinionated Book Geek

Tabitha has secrets. Big and small secrets. The one that occupies her mind the most is the fact that she is having a secret relationship. He tells her all of his secrets, tells her he wants her and kisses her. But, it’s all behind closed doors, because, Tabitha is the other girl in his life.

There are several things about this book that I enjoyed. The first one is the reason that you should read this book; Tabitha, the main character.
Kat
Nov 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Before I start with my review of Life by Committee, there’s one important question to consider. Do you need to like the main character to enjoy a book, or can you overlook the likability factor for a unique storyline? Life by Committee is definitely in the latter camp, because although I found it very difficult to like Tabitha, I loved where Corey Ann Haydu went with the plot.

Tabitha is struggling with who she is and how her looks influence how people perceive her. It’s interesting to read from
Stephanie
Wow, that was my first thought after finishing this book. I read an awesome review (kicking myself for not remembering which one) for this book and seeing it was about cheating kinda made me want to move along to another review bit something told me to read it. Needless to say, I ended up buying it that day and finished it pretty quickly.
Life by Committee is one of the best books I've read this year, it didn't involve anything paranormal or fantasy. It's about a girl who does make some not so g
Jessica Gilham
May 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
Grade: D
First 80%- B
Last 20%- F

Tabitha has issues. Her former friends hate her. Her father's a pothead. Her 32 year old mother is pregnant. And she's kissing a boy who has a girlfriend. Then she stumbles upon a website Life By Committee. Tell a secret. Get an assignment. Report back. Tabitha first tells about kissing Joe. Her assignment: kiss him again. Then the assignments escalate.

I enjoyed the first 4/5th of LIFE BY COMMITTEE. Tabitha wasn't the most insightful or likable character, but I fo
Erica
Nov 19, 2014 added it
I really loved this book, and it wasn't at all what I was expecting.

From the cover (which actually is very fitting with the story in the end), I was expecting a fun, light contemporary about a girl who joins a mysterious club that makes her do crazy and daring things. But in my reading, the life by committee aspect became almost incidental and more of a metaphor. From a quick perusal of Goodreads reviews it seems that some people didn't connect with Tabitha, but I loved her. And what I connected
Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner)

Taken from the "Final Thoughts" portion of my review:

Corey Ann Haydu’s Life by Committee is one of my favorite books I’ve read so far this year. It’s addictive, well-written and the way in which it constructs and deconstructs these characters just drives home the fact that PEOPLE and interactions are complex and life is messy. There are a lot of really thought-provoking themes that kept me up late at night that are woven together brilliantly with the page-turning plot that never became
Abbie
May 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Abbie by: Adrienne
I'm glad that things worked out well for Tabitha in the end. She was a really great girl and I was shocked at how judgmental her peers were. Yes, she dressed provocatively but she didn't sleep with every guy at school. She mostly kept to herself. Yes, she kissed Joe but at least she apologized in the end.
Ellice Y.
Original review posted here at Paper Riot.

I just finished reading Life by Committee by Corey Ann Haydu about five minutes ago, and, oh my gosh, my mind is REELING. As I’m typing this review, it is currently two months before this book’s publication date, and I may go crazy waiting until I can discuss it with other readers! The story is so unique; I don’t think I’ve ever read one quite like it. And I can’t say enough about Haydu’s brilliant writing. I somehow missed her debut novel, OCD Love Stor
Emma (Miss Print)
Jun 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: vine, owned, bea
It isn't Tabitha's fault that her breasts are bigger now. It isn't her fault that she likes wearing makeup as much as she likes reading margin notes in used books. It isn't her fault that Joe seems to like talking to her more than he likes talking to his crazy-eccentric-special-snowflake girlfriend Sasha Cotton.

But it might be Tabitha's fault when she kisses Joe. And when she does it again.

Normally, Tabitha would so not be that girl. But with the help of a website called Life by Committee, Tabit
Estelle
4.5 stars.

Originally posted by Rather Be Reading Blog

Perfectly imperfect is how I like my book characters and Corey Ann Haydu delivers with Tab in Life By Committee. Not only is Tab a fan of Muppet music, a book lover to the extreme, and a totally normal teenager who helps her parents out with their cozy coffee shop in Maine, but, like any of us, she can’t help what she thinks, she doesn’t always make the wisest decisions, and she’s just trying to figure it all out.

Figuring it out includes a lau
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• The Secrets of Lily Graves
  • This Side of Salvation
  • Only Everything (True Love, #1)
  • The Things You Kiss Goodbye
  • Talker 25 (Talker 25, #1)
  • Vivian Divine Is Dead
  • Great
  • The Break-Up Artist (Break-up Artist, #1)
  • Signed, Skye Harper
  • Evidence of Things Not Seen
  • The Chance You Won't Return
  • Exile (Exile, #1)
  • Guy in Real Life
  • Tease
  • (Don't You) Forget About Me
  • The Art of Lainey (The Art of Lainey, #1)
  • Year of Mistaken Discoveries
  • Wicked Games (Wicked Games, #1)
“I am a vacation. I am the Caribbean, and a fruity drink and a sunburn and a break from real life. But I am not real life. No one lives in the Caribbean. No one wants a fruity drink every day. I’d rather be water: necessary.” 5 likes