Start by marking “The Sky Used to be Blue (Karma #1)” as Want to Read:
The Sky Used to be Blue (Karma #1)

The Sky Used to be Blue

(Karma #1)

This is an 8,500 word short story based on Hugh Howey's WOOL books, published with his encouragement.

Karma lives in a Silo deep beneath the earth. She isn't sure of much else… only that the wallscreen shows an outside view that is barren and swirling with toxic clouds. Most of the others seem content—except for the ones who jump to their death from the hundred-level spiral
Published March 23rd 2013 by eFitzgerald Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Sky Used to be Blue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sky Used to be Blue

Angie Key
Apr 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: silo-stories
The SHIFT novels by Hugh Howey reveal the fate of Congressman Donald Keene, but what about his wife? What would her life have been once the Silos shut?

In this original novella set within the WOOL universe, Patrice Fitzgerald spins a story of memory both lost and found. If you loved WOOL - and have read at least the first SHIFT novel - you will enjoy "The Sky Used To Be Blue".

I am blown away by the approach Hugh Howey takes to fan fiction. It speaks to his character and (healthy) ego that he's wi
Colby
Apr 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A great fan-fic addition to Hugh Howey's Wool universe. The only way I knew Hugh didn't write it is that all the main characters stayed alive through the whole story. lol! A great read, well developed and gripping for it's short length. Will definitely pick up the next volume!
Idella
Sep 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I finished reading The Sky Used to be Blue and found that I was filled with clichés… “like coming come”, “like cool water to a weary soul”, “like finding a long lost friend”…that just happen to all be true. Hugh Howey opened the floodgates and Patrice Fitzgerald took the helm and drove that big ship into the harbor. Furthermore, if I didn’t know better, I’d think that Hugh Howey has legions of ghostwriters on his staff and Fitzgerald is leading the pack.

All this is to say that Fitzgerald can do
Lindsay Bacon
Jul 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Woolie approved. This is a fairly quick read and I enjoyed it. I feel this is the most daring of Wool fan fiction because she used the already introduced character, Karma. No one else has linked their tales so closely to the original series. I think she did the character justice and at the same time stirred my thoughts on the world of Wool.
Meg
Apr 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, read-2013
Best of the Wool fanfics I've read. Perhaps it's because of the satisfying link to an existing character, but this felt the most true to the original world. Looking forward to the next part, although this stands well on its own.
Dana Burkey
Mar 28, 2014 rated it it was ok
It was short and a little confusing. The time frame was a mess, and it was not really explained at all. Even as the start of a bigger series it did not do much to make me excited to keep reading about these characters I never really go to know.....
Jen
May 20, 2013 rated it liked it
I like that Howey is encouraging fan fiction from his Wooliverse. This is a solid addition to Hugh Howey's Silo lore.

Spoiler Alert - read the Shift series before reading this one.
Jeff Bowes
Dec 27, 2014 rated it it was ok
A short novella in the Wool silo universe. Normally such a short novella would have more of a dramatic conclusion. It feels like a prologue.
Darren Hallihan
Mar 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
If you enjoyed Wool and Shift, you'll enjoy this. It ties in very well. I do think those books should be read before this fan fiction though. I can't wait for part 2!!
Adam
Apr 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Heartbreaking, but worth it.
Karen
Apr 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
fan fiction filling in some details in the silo series. Very good.
Marie
Sep 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviews
Amazing! This has everything that made me fall in love with the Silo trilogy. I felt like Helen's story was one that needed to be told and this tells it perfectly. Defently going to be reading the rest of the Karma stories.
Quartknee
Oct 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
It's been a while since I've read the Wool series and this cute little short story/novella brought the world back to life for me. It's really well written and true to (what I can remember of) the original world.
A.M.
Sep 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: e-books, i-own
A kindleworlds short story from the Hugh Howey Wool world.
Just didn’t work for me. I probably won’t be reading on.
2 stars
Kathy
Jul 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Awesome extension of Wool and Silo

Very well written and inviting continuation of life in the silos. I have loved all these tales and this was no disappointment.
Joanne
Oct 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I guess this is an example of "fan fiction"--an offshoot of the novel, "Wool", and I have to say that it is very, very good. It tells the story of Helen, a character only briefly included in the Wood Trilogy, and we learn what actually happened to her immediately after people entered the silos. This closes a loop because we learned in the original books what her husband believed happened to her and is bittersweet in that regard. It also tells us about life immediately after the world ended and p ...more
C.L.
Oct 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Intro that does well in keeping WOOL tone

Fitzgerald's introductory novella does very well in keeping with Howey's original, WOOL. Karma remembers life below the days of silo life and gives us a glimpse of what may have led to the millions living in the down-below. I can't say this story could necessarily stand completely on its own since it is set in another author's world and is reliant on readers being familiar with the original WOOL series (references). Fitzgerald certainly creates a new pers
Ryan
Feb 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Set in the universe of Hugh Howey's excellent Wool saga, the Karma series details the events in a parallel silo to those central to the plots of the original source material.

The Sky Used to Be Blue, the first volume, explores the separation of Donald and Helen, as well as Helen's first few months in her claustrophobic world, during which she begins to remember about life before the incident in Atlanta.

It's a different style from Howey, but in amn expanded universe, that it actually far from a hi
Lacey
Aug 09, 2014 rated it liked it
A great short story based on the Wool series. I really enjoyed seeing this world through the viewpoint of Helen/Karma, she definitely is someone with a story to tell. The wish the story was longer and more detailed. The important parts were there like what Karma was feeling but I really wish I could have gotten that claustrophobic feeling that was so pervasive in Wool. I would have liked to see more of Karma's relationship with her husband Rick. She feels she can't trust him but other than that ...more
Nikki "The Crazie Betty" V.
I really enjoyed this Kindle Worlds story set in Hugh Howey's Wool. I would suggest having read the entire Wool series before picking up Karma as it correlates with Shift, the 2nd book of the Wool series. I was pulled right into this story and was so entertained I often forgot that this was not originally part of Hugh Howey's world. The characters were believable and I appreciated that even though there isn't a lot you can change with the Wool setting, the author made this feel like their own wo ...more
Jennie
May 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, dystopia, series, 2013
This is a spin-off of Hugh Howey’s Wool. Patrice did a great job of recreating the Wool universe in her spin off. This reminds of when I first picked up Wool and was sucked into the mystery of how it all began. Patrice did a great job of making Karma come alive and her personalized journey in the Silo. A small complaint is that I wished the story would have continued at a slower pace. It went through 5 years in this short story. It was easy to invest in Karma’s story and I will to continue to fo ...more
David Caldwell
Yet another free short story download.

I am not really the right person to be writing a review for this story. I was not aware of this series or of the one from which it is based(by a different author). Therefore while I was reading this story, I liked it but was pretty much lost as well. In fact, I only knew about the main series because there is an interview with the author at the end of this story. I am sure that if I had read the main series, I would have both understood and liked this story
Jenna
Mar 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dystopia, fiction
I didn't realise when I downloaded this book that it picks up where Hugh Howey's Shift series leaves off. As I haven't yet read those books, I shall wait until I've done so to read the rest in this series and write a review then. If the rest of the series is anything like this first novella, I'm sure I will really love it. Patrice Fitzgerald has really drawn me in to Karma's world, limited as it is, and I'm very eager to read more!
Geoff
Jan 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Fan-fic short story (don't be fooled by references to this being a book or a novella, it really isn't - took about half an hour to read), set in Hugh Howey's Silo world.

It's well enough written, but I do wonder why it exists. Doesn't really add anything to the existing books, doesn't really have much of a story structure. I have to suspect that the author enjoyed writing it rather more than I enjoyed reading it.

Still, a passingly diverting read, nonetheless.
Helena
Sep 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Not as good as the Silo series by Hugh Howey but still a good read.
And since I really wanted to know more about Helen is a good way of knowing how a fan of the Silo series, like me, thinks her story went!

I may read the next, but not right now... I don't want to compare it to much to Howey, it's not fair (as I think Patrice writes pretty well)!
September
It seemed the author grew in her craft before my very eyes. Odd stilting instances disappeared. The prose began to flow more smoothly. I was soon able to lose myself in the story instead of closely evaluating the composition.

I enjoyed reading things from Karma's perspective, especially learning of her history, without giving anything away. I look forward to reading more about her. :D
Jerilyn Dufresne
Jun 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I was so engrossed in Hugh Howey's books. Then I heard my friend Patrice Fitzgerald was writing stories based upon the Wool universe. I know she's a really talented author but I had my doubts about this story. It didn't take long for me to learn how wrong I was. Karma's tale is as exciting as the original Howey books. All I can say is: Keep writing, Patrice.
Netanella
I've seen a lot of the fan-fic of Hugh Howey's Wool-iverse, but I've not read any. Until now.

Patrice Fitzgerald does a wonderful job with the universe of Wool, and I'm pretty sure I need to start looking for more of the Karma series by this author. Kudos to the author for such a great piece.
Lyndaa
Mar 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
A really good addition to the Hugh Howey fanfiction collection. It covers the story of what happened to Helen from Hugh Howey's original work brilliantly. I've only read the first one of these stories but I'm definitely going to read the rest!
Raqui
Jan 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a great post apocalyptic short following a young woman Karma during her time living in the Silo. This was such an interesting and quick read. I would love to know more about the world Karma lives in and how it came to be. I will definitely need to read Wool by Hugh Howey now.
  • The Runner (The Runner, #1)
  • Greatfall: Part 2
  • Deep Dark (Silo 49, #2)
  • Refuse
  • Solar Storms (Orbs #0.1)
  • First Light (After, #0.5)
  • Third Shift: Pact (Shift, #3)
  • The Apocalypse Ocean (Xenowealth #4)
  • Apex Cypher (Code Breakers #0)
  • Outcome (Breakers, #0.5)
  • The Onset (Contamination #1)
  • It's Better This Way
Patrice Fitzgerald has had many incarnations, including lawyer, writer, publisher, singer, mother, wife, and redhead… though not necessarily in that order.

She has many tales set in the WOOLiverse, and more to come. They include:

The Sky Used to be Blue, Karma #1
Cleaning Up, Karma #2
Deep Justice, Karma #3
Rising Up, Karma #4
Last Walk, Karma #5

SILO SECRETS: Daniel

Be on the lookout for more of he

Karma (5 books)
  • Cleaning Up (Karma, #2)
  • Deep Justice (Karma, #3)
  • Rising Up (Karma, #4)
  • Last Walk: a Silo story (Karma #5)