Start by marking “Americashire: A Field Guide to a Marriage” as Want to Read:
Americashire: A Field Guide to a Marriage

Read Excerpt

Americashire: A Field Guide to a Marriage

When an American woman and her British husband decide to buy a two-hundred-year-old cottage in the heart of the Cotswolds, they're hoping for an escape from their London lives. Instead, their decision about whether or not to have a child plays out against a backdrop of village fetes, rural rambles, and a cast of eccentrics clad in corduroy and tweed.

Americashire: A Field
Published April 23rd 2013 by She Writes Press (first published April 21st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Americashire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Americashire

Start your review of Americashire: A Field Guide to a Marriage
Rebecca
(2.5) A memoir by an American woman married to a Brit and adjusting to English village life was always going to appeal to me. Richardson and her husband, “D,” had a tiny West London flat but bought a weekend cottage in the Cotswolds with his inheritance, eventually choosing to live there full time while he continued commuting to London.

If you approach this as a set of comic essays commenting on the habits of the English, it’s enjoyable enough. The rich toffs she encounters in her new village
Rebecca
Sep 04, 2013 rated it it was ok
This was free on an Amazon daily deal, and it was worth the price. Since the book was advertised as the memoir of an American who settled in England with her husband and was on the brink of motherhood, it was rather startled to learn that she chose not to have children and moved back to Los Angeles shortly after the end of the book. I liked the style of the writing and the depiction of the beautiful English countryside, but did not ultimately find much about the author to love.
Julia
May 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Rather like the Cotswold rambles in its Field Guides, this is a beautifully written memoir of the ups and downs of modern womanhood described with humour and honesty. Read it.
Hilary
Nov 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bio-memoir
Americashire details the ways in which Jennifer and her husband buy a house in the country. Even though they are initially somewhat shocked by housing sizes, they soon settle in and, desperate not to be seen as weekenders, throw themselves into village life. (On the weekends, of course.) This leads to phrases like "The autumnal social calendar included a bingo fund-raiser for the cricket club in the village hall", which any Brit - particularly the English - will recognize. She goes on to explore ...more
Pamela DeWolf
Sep 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Pamela by: goodreads
An amusing quick read about an American expat in England, it made me wish for a British husband so I, too could buy a country house. Full of amusing stories about the local social scene, typical english-countryside events, and the odd characters that made up their life in the Cotswolds.
Thanks to goodreads and the author for the book won in your giveaway.
Nancy
Jan 04, 2014 rated it liked it
More good vacation reading. Makes me want to spend time in England, as I suppose any halfway decent travelogue should! The lives of the author and her husband held my attention and made me curious about how things would turn out for them. But in a year I'll have no memory of what this book was about.
Shelley
Dec 31, 2014 rated it liked it
Cute entertaining quick read. I particularly related as it is an American "fish out of water" story and I am also an American living abroad.

And I totally related to the bit about Target. I had an anxiety attack my first time back.

Renee Roberson
May 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
As I was reading Americashire: A Field Guide to Marriage, my first thought was that the book would appeal to readers who enjoy memoirs and travelogues such as Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert, particularly because of the rich descriptions of Richardson's adventures with the various festivals, foods and drinks. During the time that Gilbert was writing Eat, Pray, Love, she had many personal issues she was grappling with, and in Americashire, Richardson is also searching for answers, ...more
Anglotopia
Sep 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I'm a sucker for a book about an American attempting to live in the UK. Several of my favorite books about Britain were written by Americans who moved to the UK. So, I was delighted to take a look at Americashire: A Field Guide to a Marriage by Jennifer Richardson.

Jennifer is an American who happened to marry a Brit and after a glamorous life in London, the couple decided to buy a Cotswold weekend cottage and attempt to live in the Great British Countryside.

To hilarious result.

Jennifer is not a
Betsy Fasbinder
May 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I read--or rather devoured--Americashire on the plane from San Francisco to Dallas. When I landed at DFW, rather than feeling exhausted by the flight, it seemed as thoughI I'd spent the entire ride listening to the story of a good girlfriend. Jennifer Richardson is a skilled and concise storyteller who paints a vivid and detailed picture of rural England. While her book is likely going to be promoted as a travel book (and it should, I'm dying to find the idyllic England she found) it is also an ...more
Jan 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book! I think the idea of the actual "field guides" i.e. rambles in and around the Cotswolds are a clever and fun idea. Unfortunately I have a very old Kindle which does not link well to the web- but I will try to access them another way.
Otherwise, the story is amusing when discussing the wonderful oddness of British country life- and very touching as Richardson shares the difficulties of making life decisions in the face of potentially debilitating illness.
Petrea Burchard
Jun 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I won this book in a blog contest. I really wanted it, too, because Ms. Richardson lived my fantasy: an American woman in a Cotswolds cottage. There's more, of course: the English husband, the wonderful characters, the wine bar, and the birth of lambs. There's even more than that: the things she and her husband must deal with give Richardson's story depth to go along with the delight. If you are an Anglophile like me, I highly recommend this book.
Helen
Sep 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
#absolutelycharming- a short novel written travelogue-like of an American expat and her English husband living the bucolic country life in Britain. I love her voice and humor all parceled into stories of their favorite Chinese take-out, country fairs and animal husbandry, all indelible to the very last word.
Nancy Kennedy
Jul 14, 2014 rated it liked it
I enjoyed the heck out of this book. A Florida woman, married to a Brit, decides to move to England. London was fine, but they decide to get a weekend cottage in the Cotswolds. What a journey! Her two-year journal, funny and inciteful, left me wanting more. Eat, Pray, Love in the English countryside, with a lot of wine thrown in!
Marilou Johnson
Aug 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: free-books
Life in England viewed through the eyes of an American . . . loved it. As an Anglophile, I found myself smiling and laughing at the little idiosyncrasies of the British lifestyle.
While the title kind of fooled me, this is less about marriage and more about fitting in and learning a new way to live life in a completely different environment.
Very enjoyable!
Jonathan Garrett
Apr 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book from a Goodreads first reads giveaway and I enjoyed it. It was an easy and quick read (I finished it in two days). At times I felt like it was too much rambling but at others I loved the memories that it brought back of my time living in Cambridge. Overall this book was fun and I would recommend it!
R. Kernochan
Apr 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A wonderfully smooth potpourri of unbelievable-but-true, coming-of-middle-age story of a couple told with humor, irony, chauvinism, love, in-laws, friends, relatives, family, English and American characters and even hiking maps. Literally couldn't put it down and laughed most of the way through.
Kim
Aug 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
I received this book as a GoodReads giveaway. I was interested enough when reading the the description that I would have requested it from the library.

I liked the descriptive writing about the author's relationship with her husband, and the travel aspect of their living in the Cotswolds.

Annette Reynolds
Aug 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-these
Loved, loved, loved this little memoir for a myriad of reasons: the author's style, the setting, the humor, the information. (Oh, and it was beautifully edited.) The only thing I didn't love: I wanted MORE.

Laurie
Dec 15, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
Not bad for a freebie Kindle ebook. A light easy book which is just what I wanted right now. Her husband sounded like something of an ass though. I would be kind of surprised if their marriage survives.
Jill
Sep 13, 2013 rated it it was ok
I didn't think this book was really a field guide to a marriage, it was more like a field guide to living in the UK. I picked it up because I had heard it involved making a decision about whether or not to have a child, that ended up being about 1/8 of the story.
Katrina
Sep 11, 2013 rated it it was ok
I loved the premise of the book. But by the end nothing had really changed for the characters: the ending wasn't even that positive. It didn't feel finished. I felt like I was waiting for a climax that never came. We could have wrapped this up chapters before 'the end.'
Kim
Sep 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
I enjoyed the difference between the UK and US. The book was more a series of stories than a single story. I felt that it ended rather abruptly. There was so much more that I wanted to learn about the main characters.
Aug 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
A lovely account of life in the Cotswolds narrated by an American woman. It made me long for England in no time... The narration is vivid and very colourful. A must-read for all people who are in love with England.
Conrad
Sep 26, 2013 rated it liked it
Are the Brits quirkier than Americans? Is that why an American moving to Britain is more entertaining than a Brit moving to America? It was a cute read - good way to pass a few hours on a plane.
Rodney
Oct 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Rodney by: 100
A lite enjoyable read
Shirley
May 06, 2014 rated it did not like it
Boring! I could not get past page 100! Ugh!
Andrea
Aug 31, 2013 rated it liked it
Loved the stories about life I Cotswould but felt like she never wrapped up the story.
Deb
Mar 29, 2014 rated it it was ok
I just didn't get it -- especially the subtitle "A field guide to a marriage." It was a quick read, parts of which were interesting. But overall, just blah.
Cami
Dec 03, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: travel, funny, britain
This read like a series of blog posts. I wouldn't go out of my way to read it but if you find it free on amazon like I did, it's entertaining enough.
Haaave Ya Met...: Americashire Free Kindle Promo 1 7 Aug 29, 2013 05:55AM

• Scraps of Paper (Spookie Town Murder Mystery, #1)
  • In Times Like These (In Times Like These, #1)
Jennifer Richardson is an American Anglophile who spent three years living in a Cotswold village populated straight out of English central casting. Fumbling aristocrats, gentlemen farmers, and a village idiot—a role she mostly played herself—all provided the source material for her memoir, Americashire.

She is married to an Englishman who, although not the village idiot, provides her with ample