Start by marking “Nightworld (Adversary Cycle, #6)” as Want to Read:
Nightworld (Adversary Cycle, #6)

Nightworld

(Adversary Cycle #6)

This is the way the world ends...not with a bang but a scream in the dark. It begins at dawn, when the sun rises late. Then the holes appear. The first forms in Central Park, in sight of an apartment where Repairman Jack and a man as old as time watch with growing dread. Gaping holes, bottomless and empty?until sundown, when the first unearthly, hungry creatures appear. Ni ...more
Published May 22nd 2012 by Tor Books (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Nightworld, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nightworld

Karl
Oct 01, 2017 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dark_harvest-own
This slipcased hardcover is numbered 223 of 300 signed editions signed by F. Paul Wilson.
Mark
Mar 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Nightworld is the climax of the Adversary Cycle. It uses the characters introduced in the first five books and concludes the over-arching plot introduced in Reborn. It's an apocalyptic Lovecraftian tale of the end of the world. I believe that it does fulfill the promise of the previous books: it's action packed, hard to put down, and epic in scope. It's a good read.

The Plot

Rasalom, the baddie from the very first book, The Keep, has returned and he's recharged his batteries with the fear, pain,
Leigh Terry
F. Paul Wilson wrote the Adversary Cycle in the nineties -- six books about the Secret History of the World, and a cataclysmic battle between the Ally and the Adversary for all of the Earth. Then, he wrote more than a dozen books about one of the characters, Repairman Jack, expanding his particular mythology and wrapping in the details of the Adversary Cycle to boot. Then, Wilson edited several books in the Adversary Cycle to supposedly accommodate this expanded presence of Repairman Jack.

It did
Graham
Sep 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who can read
The final installment of the Adversary Cycle, Nightworld is possibly my favourite book of all time. Thanks to its epic storyline, cast of wonderful, rich characters, and the tieing up of all loose ends, this book is a joy to read.
Beginning a short while after the climax of Reprisal, the newly reborn Champion of Chaos, Rasalom begin his final march toward victory. Having discovered that his ancient adversary, Glaeken, is now powerless and decrepit, Rasalom is unnopposed for the first time since t
Dave
May 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, I just finished Wilson's 'new' version of Nightworld. Let me explain:
I read the 6 book "Adversary Cycle" in 93-94. LOVED it! The 1st 3 books can be read as "stand alones"-The Keep, The Tomb, and The Touch. Reborn and Reprisal draw from events in the Keep and add to events in the Touch. And the last novel Nightworld (1st written in 1992) draws ALL the books together. A GREAT series. Reprisal gave me nightmares. Again, A GREAT series!!!!!!!
Repairman Jack, the main character in The Tomb, and
Neil
Sep 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I honestly do not know where to start with this review. I think I can honestly say I have never read a long series such as this with such a satisfying ending. After reading this, I'm honestly surprised that anyone who has read the entire Adversary Cycle/Repairman Jack story arc could rate this book anything less that 4/5 stars.

I started reading Repairman Jack quite by accident. About book 4 or 5, I realised that I was missing something and upon a quick google search learned of Mr. Wilson's Secre
Skip
May 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, horror
The final Adversary novel has been significantly revised by author F. Paul Wilson some 20 years after its first publication to dovetail the ending of the Repairman Jack series. Rasalom begins the process that will bring about the end of the world, starting with a bottomless sinkhole in Central Park, unleashing nightmarish creatures seen earlier in the Florida swamps on NYC. Glaeken and Jack have to assemble a weapon from Hawaii and Eastern Europe as well as rally various disbelievers to their ca ...more
DeAnna Knippling
Once again, a book in the series that I didn't especially care for but that was a masterful, unputdownable page turner. This brings all the various threads in the series together as parts of an overall plan--lots of "aha" reveals.

What I didn't like about it was the sense that the theme of the book was "people suck," while portraying people as caricatures and then demanding that people not suck in order to resolve the book. I could do one or the other but not both.
Kevin Lucia
Dec 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. Just...wow. What a way to end. A very satisfying ending. The only bad thing is...no more Repairman Jack....
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After 20+ books and other stories, at last the Secret History of the World is fully told. The long and very involved story had a few lows but many more highs, spanned Jack's life from school through to its grand finale, and I'll certainly miss it. 4.5* overall
Joe Grass
Best one yet

Gripping! Keeps you on edge the whole time, great book! Wish this wasn't the last of the series, but it was the best one to end with!
Aug 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Note: This review is of the 2012 heavily revised edition which is, frankly, a gift from the author. Repairman Jack grew to be such a major character since its original publication, and the author took the time to weave the backstory of the additional 14 books and their characters into this one. I've never read the original version, but as for this one:

Wow! After 24 novels, 2 short story collections and a number of miscellaneous short stories, the massive Secret History of the World from F. Paul
Marina Fontaine
Three stars... That means I liked it. Didn't love it, not after investing so much time and emotion into the series. As I said in one of the progress reports, the general problems with Wilson's writing are still here, and probably this final chapter is a condensation of the whole series, the problems are distilled as well. Massively stupid decisions by characters who are supposed to be smart, both heroes and villains continues to be my main problem. Militant atheism is at this point just a distra ...more
Ann Werner
Jun 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! I've been a fan of F. Paul Wilson ever since reading The Keep years and years ago. In Nightworld, a body of work by this prolific author is bought to fruition. Those who haven't read the Adversary series and the Repairman Jack (one of my all time FAVORITE characters!) series, won't have a clue about what's going on. But the silver lining is, you get to read all those wonderful books to find out!

Nightworld opens with the late rising of the sun, a portent that signals the final
Michael
Oct 22, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, fantasy
This is like the 14th or 15th book in the series. It did a good job at closing up the series. I have liked the books less and less over time. I really enjoyed the earlier stories of Repairman Jack and the vigilante justice he imposed on bad guys. The problem is the series is such a commitment and the stories become sub par towards the end. I don't know if I would recommend the series to anyone. Why did I keep reading? The first 5 or 6 books were entertaining enough that I kept reading. Then I re ...more
Frankie C
Apr 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Most of what I read are long drawn out epic series. Unfortunately, when it comes time to wrap them up they fall short of expectations on occasion. This was not one of those times. A fantastic ending to what has been a fantastic series. By far the best book in the adversary cycle. Not my favorite Jack book though. Now that I am completely through both series I can say with all certainty that you must read the adversary cycle and the Jack books in their entirety to truly be able to enjoy this book ...more
Becky
Jul 19, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am usually a big fan of the repairman Jack series. It is generally well written, even though it's pretty easy reading, so I was looking forward to this final installment in a very long series of books. This time, however, it felt choppy and I had the hardest time caring about what was happening. The most interesting parts of the story were never fully resolved, though I did enjoy the way that the heir was ultimately revealed to everyone.

I give it three stars, because it's still better than a
Nov 12, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
A pretty good horror book (much more horrific than the Repairman Jack books, though I don't know whether the style fits the other Adversary Cycle books), but melding the Jack book series into an already completed novel (back in 1992) and making it the end of everything doesn't work that well. Most of the Jack characters (except Jack himself, who is much more important) are either superfluous or wiped out without any ceremony whatsoever.

It just seems forced.
Eric
Aug 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my favorite F. Paul Wilson book- the end of many of his series, principally started in "The Keep", but included his cross-over work from "The Tomb" and "The Touch". One of the best apocalyptical novels I've ever read! While you do not need to read all of his other books to enjoy this one, I do recommend reading "The Keep" first. This was a very, very good book- a true page-turner!
Brent Ecenbarger
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: repairman-jack
**Note - This is a review for the 2012 revised version of Nightworld, not the original**

If you're a Repairman Jack fan and have just finished The Dark at the End, before picking up Nightworld I would recommend reading the other books of the Adversary Cycle first. It's not a lot of extra reading, as it's only a six book series and fans have already read The Tomb and Nightworld itself is the last book in the series. By doing so, you'll spend some time getting acquainted with several of the main ch
Dec 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hats off to F. Paul Wilson! This is the final book of his "Secret History of the World" and it exceeded my expectations in just about every way. The "Secret History" spans God knows how many books. I have read all bu the "Young Jack" and the prequel trilogy. Each of these books is entertaining, some are downright fantastic in terms of imagination and plot. The last couple in this series dragged a bit because Wilson was transitioning towards his big finish.

And, a big finish it certainly is. The p
Chris
Jun 25, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
John
Aug 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Heather
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It has taken me twenty years to find a copy of this version of this book. I fell in love with Wilson’s writing as a middle schooler, reading The Keep in between chapters of my history homework. I later found and devoured all of the Repairman Jack books, one after another as they came out. I finished with the revised version of this book. It took me ages to find an original copy of this and it was finally spotted by my sister at a flea market, in Egypt of all places. After (somewhat) patiently wa ...more
Lin
Jun 19, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not the best in the Adversary or Repairman Jack series, but not the worst, either. I enjoyed the final battle, and the connection of the two series storylines for one epic conclusion. I agree with the author, though, that both certainly have reached the end of the interest (Wilson noted that he's done with writing for these characters, don't ask anymore, he needs to move on...) for me. As much as I love Jack, there are only so many fights he can blaze his way through, evils he can conquer, and t ...more
Foster
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic closing to both the Adversary Cycle and Repairman Jack storylines. It ended in ways I hadn't thought and also, in ways I really wanted it to. I still have to read a few of the prequel Jack stories, but I thoroughly enjoyed Wilson's story telling thus far. I strongly recommend this writer and epic series.
Justin Vonsik
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent novel! Making a belivable a hellish setting, seamlessly wrapping the entire story together.

Excellent series. The adversary cycle was entertaining, horrifying, and really brought thought to the nature of humanity. I definate reccomended read. But do start with, The Keep.
Jan
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
What a ending to a terrific series. While labeled Adversary Cycle #6, the 2012 edition is also Repairman Jack #16. A must read to end the Repairman Jack run. The little girl with the puppy was particular fitting at the end.
Deborah Replogle
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Somehow around 2012 I must have been busy with other things, because I missed the last book in the Repairman Jack series. And it was just as good as the others, and doesn't end quite the way I thought it would. Doesn't matter, really good read.
Mystery Theater
Aug 25, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Bloated with hundreds of pages of filler. I could get more detailed but this book isn't worth the effort. Two stars instead of one because it does tie off the story.
  • Kill Whitey
  • Graverobbers Wanted: No Experience Necessary (Andrew Mayhem #1)
  • The Bridge
  • By Bizarre Hands
  • Writ in Blood (Serenity Falls, #1)
  • Chasm
  • Dead Man's Hand: Five Tales of the Weird West
  • Three Complete Novels: Dragon's Gold / Serpent's Silver / Chimaera's Copper
  • Lovedeath
  • Hallowed Ground
  • Ripper  (Special X, #4)
Francis Paul Wilson is an author, born in Jersey City, New Jersey. He writes novels and short stories primarily in the science fiction and horror genres. His debut novel was Healer (1976). Wilson is also a part-time practicing family physician. He made his first sales in 1970 to Analog and continued to write science fiction throughout the seventies. In 1981 he ventured into the horror genre with t ...more

Adversary Cycle (6 books)
  • The Keep (Adversary Cycle, #1)
  • The Tomb (Repairman Jack, #1)
  • The Touch (Adversary Cycle, #3)
  • Reborn (Adversary Cycle, #4)
  • Reprisal (Adversary Cycle, #5)