Start by marking “G.I. JOE Volume 1: Homefront” as Want to Read:
G.I. JOE Volume 1: Homefront

G.I. JOE Volume 1: Homefront

(G.I. Joe 3rd IDW #1)

The truth is out: the world knows the G.I. JOE team is real. Now Duke leads his squad directly into the public eye, confronting COBRA on American soil! Fred Van Lente and Steve Kurth lead the charge taking G.I. JOE in a new direction.
Published August 27th 2013 by IDW Publishing

To ask other readers questions about G.I. JOE Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about G.I. JOE Volume 1

Start your review of G.I. JOE Volume 1: Homefront
Paul W.
Mar 21, 2020 rated it liked it
Surprisingly good and fun. The villains needed more introduction and explanation but overall, a really great re-introduction to the GI Joe Mythos. I especially LOVED that the original GI Joe toys showed up as mentors, including Bulletman! This introduces a millennial social media influencer soldier, Hashtag. But it's not laser that are not doing any damage like the cartoon. They are shooting and killing people. I would recommend it to fans of the GI comics and cartoons but not for kids.
Simon MacDonald
Jan 09, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Part of a bunch of books I got in a HumbleBundle. It reboots the GI Joe continuity from the previous IDW books. I'm only one volume in on this one but it seems more cartoony than the previous IDW volumes.
Shane Amazon
Jul 06, 2013 rated it liked it
I admit that I haven't kept with all of the comics since I first started reading them back in the eighties, but even now I clearly remember the main themes introduced by the first issues released way back then. G.I. JOE at its core is supposed to be an elite squad of U.S. military specialists activated to end the threat posed by Cobra Commander and his henchmen. As always, GI Joe has kept close ties with current events that happen in the real world. In the eighties the Soviets were a constant ...more
jordan
Aug 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
A few caveats. It has been more than a decade (maybe even two!) since I last picked up an issue of GI Joe. What I recall is the old Marvel book, with its huge cast, often terrible art, and only a few characters developed to any degree of depth (apologies if Im misremembering, but like I said, its been DECADES). Still, perhaps out of nostalgia as much as anything else I picked up this book. And what a great surprise!

Fred Van Lente may be writing a book that has its origin in a Hasbro toy line,
Fallon
Aug 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
I have read so many GI Joe books lately, and really it is probably not that many but it seems like a lot and they are all of varying qualities. This particular graphic novel or collection of 5 comics is a better one. Now, lets just say I grew up being one of the few girls I knew that loved and watched GI Joe, I had GI Joe action figures that married my barbies and I ran around yelling "Yo Joe" but I'm still not an avid comic reader, though I do seem to read a heck of a lot now a days. That was ...more
C
Sep 22, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: yo-joe
Probably my least favorite of the IDW Joe volumes. Some thoughts:

- I was under the impression that this new "season" of Joe was not to be a hard reboot, that it would continue on from the earlier issues. While the other recent volumes worked with the previous "season," this absolutely did not. And some changes seemed to be the very definition of arbitrary. Duke and Cover Girl together while having Shipwreck on the same team?

- The overall story has been told many, many times in past Joe comics
Gayle Francis Moffet
More 3-1/2 star than 3, but Goodreads still doesn't do have stars, so.

I haven't cared about the GI Joes since I was about seven years old watching the cartoon after school. But there was a sale, and I dig Fred Van Lente, and I've always liked the idea of the Joes, so I grabbed it.

It's a good read; it's paced well, has some nice background for newbies like me, and it's an interesting take on the story: The Joes go public, and now it's black ops with a PR crew. I like how everyone works together,
Wayne McCoy
Jul 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Now that G.I. Joe is out in the open, they are sent on a small mission that's supposed to end with press coverage. Eight Joes head to a small town, but they are ambushed by COBRA and a militarized population of townspeople who believe the Joes are part of a government conspiracy.

With the team split in 2 and no way to communicate with the outside world, the team must reunite the medic with the severely injured team member. There is also a new team member who is unskilled in combat. In addition,
Stabbing
Nov 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: idw-comics
I got a trial month of Scribd to try out and this is the first thing I picked.

I had read some of the old Marvel G.I. JOE series but this is the first of the IDW G.I. JOE comics I've ever read. Maybe it's just the nostalgia but I really liked it despite it getting off to a bit of a snarky start. At about the halfway point I got sucked right into the story and finished it pretty fast. I like the art in this volume too, there are some great images of my favorite villainess The Baroness in here. I
John Shaw
Feb 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
GI Joe was a staple of my childhood
Forgotten for a number of years
it was brought back with a bang
by IDW a few years ago
Homefront is a hard hitting story
that manages to be thoughtful as well
Showing not only some of the ugly side of warfare but
also what might drive ordinary people into extremism
that's a lot to ask from a comic that came out of an 80's toy line
Angel
Aug 28, 2013 rated it liked it
I posted my full review of this on my blog, The Itinerant Librarian. Click on the link to read it. By the way, I gave it 3.5 out of 5, but we all know GoodReads by now.

Link to review: http://itinerantlibrarian.blogspot.co...
Stephen
Jul 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic
Fun read. Lots of action and it was fun remembering a lot of the JOES call signs. Definitely looking forward to the next volume.
Robert
Aug 06, 2014 rated it liked it
good story but cartoonish artwork
Jon

• Cosmic Ghost Rider: Baby Thanos Must Die
  • Red Sonja: Worlds Away, Vol. 2: Back Roads
  • Alienation
  • Red Sonja: Worlds Away, Vol. 1: World's Away
  • Detroit Metal City, Vol. 2 (Detroit Metal City, #2)
  • Secret Empire: United We Stand
  • The Punisher, Vol. 3: Street by Street, Block by Block
  • Detroit Metal City, Vol. 1 (Detroit Metal City, #1)
  • Vagrant Queen Vol. 1
  • Exorsisters, Vol. 1
  • The Interceptor
  • Daredevil, Vol. 2: No Devils, Only God
  • The Incredible Hercules: Secret Invasion
  • Hiver nucléaire
  • G.I. Joe: The Fall of G.I. Joe Volume 2
Van Lente was raised by a mystery-loving mother (who preferred Dorothy Sayers to Agatha Christie, but we won't hold that against her) and a wisecracking Woody Allen-lookalike scientist father in what appears to be some kind of genetic experiment to write his first novel, TEN DEAD COMEDIANS, even though neither parent nor the son himself would know it for many years.

Van Lente spent his time

G.I. Joe 3rd IDW (3 books)
  • G.I. Joe Volume 2: Threat Matrix