Start by marking “Fatale, Vol. 3: West of Hell (Fatale, #3)” as Want to Read:
Fatale, Vol. 3: West of Hell (Fatale, #3)

Fatale, Vol. 3: West of Hell

(Fatale #3)

The third arc of the hit series hits stands the same day as the next one begins! From the dark days of the depression, to the middle ages and the old west, these tales of horror and myth and the mystery of the Femme Fatale reveal secrets even our heroine doesn't know about yet. Bold and experimental, this is pulp noir horror at it's finest.

Collecting: Fatale 11-14
Paperback, Trade, 128 pages
Published June 5th 2013 by Image Comics

To ask other readers questions about Fatale, Vol. 3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fatale, Vol. 3

Sr3yas
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Guess what? Things are getting weird over here!

Let's just say nightclubbing in the 19th century was really bold!

I can explain this volume of Fatale in Brubaker's own words:

❝ Every time she thought she understood the nightmare, another layer fell away and a new horror was revealed.❞

Hell, yea! This volume features four short stories set in four different timelines and locations. Each one chronicles Josephine's destructive life and the men she ruined unwillingly. One of the stories even featur
HFK
Jul 17, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paidkindle, graphics
Third volume of Fatale is a good reminder of that I should read graphic series in a short period of time instead of keeping them as hostages on my cloud, waiting for the right moment to be devoured. I, again, found myself in a spot where I needed to memorize what really did happen in the previous volumes to get myself on track of how to valuate the whole journey from the start to the middle.

West of Hell collects the issues 11 to 14, giving a solid four issue arc that brings the reader behind the
Jan Philipzig
More fatales, more worship, more misery: set in different historical eras, the four one-shots collected in this volume make it quite obvious that Brubaker has no idea where to go with his mystery. But what the heck, as long as things are as stylish as this I ain't complaining...
Forrest
Jun 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I admit it, my background as a writer has influenced my enjoyment of this volume a great deal. I started as a short-story writer and themed anthology editor before turning to the novel form. I just felt like a more natural short-story writer. It came quite easily to me, maybe because I was raised in the MTV generation and have a short attention span. Or, perhaps it's because I am a slow reader and a slow writer. Or maybe I'm just lazy.

Whatever the case, I can appreciate a good short-story, well-
Sesana
Aug 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Unlike previous volumes, this Fatale collection is more like a series of short stories, each set in a different time and place. Really, it serves as a form of exposition, explaining (somewhat, sort of) what Josephine is, who is pursuing her, and who has gone before her. Not everything is explained, which is good. A little mystery around the edges of the story keeps me interested. I liked meeting women like Josephine through history. They are all somewhat similar, but I can chalk that up to being ...more
Ronyell
Fatale

Introduction:

After reading the first two volumes of Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips’ awesome horror series “Fatale,” I just have to pick up the third volume of this series “West of Hell” and I found this volume just as enjoyable as the previous two volumes!

What is this story about?

Let us take a break from the adventures of Nicolas Lash and explore the dark secrets that surround the mysterious beautiful woman Josephine in her past adventures before she met Nicolas Lash. There are a total of f
Gavin
Sep 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Well I still liked this Volume of the series, but where it was in Volume 1, it's not quite gone where I thought it was. I realize Fatale is the title, so that it follows the femmes makes sense, but when they keep introducing more femmes (even in standalone stories), you start to lose focus on who's from when and what they're doing.
Luckily, half the book covers Jo, our protagonist, in the 1930s Texas, and then in WWII when she first meets up with one of the men from the first volume, as he is dr
Crystal Starr Light
Bullet Review:

Four short stories about the life of Josephine...or Mathilda...or Bonnie.

I think what really helped me enjoy this one was that we finally get some hints of answers. Some idea of who Josephine is, what's going on, and why she can live for so long.
Dave
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
I've read a number of novels lately with themes about reincarnation and different lives through time. It's therefore fitting that I found a graphic novel that echoes those same themes. In this third volume in the Fatale noir horror graphic novel series, we learn about a number of Josephine's past lives as we find her in the Middle Ages in France burned at the stake, out in the Wild West captured by Native Americans, in the roaring Twenties, and captured by the Nazis. She may not yet know what sh ...more
Tom Mathews
Four linked stories featuring the same (sort of) character throughout history. Pretty good although the WWII story is rather cheesy.
Caitlin
And back to amazing! The Lovecraftian influences really dominate this volume and I loved every second of it!

This volume makes a return to the more compelling horror aspects of the first volume and builds on the reader's understanding of both what has happened to make Josephine the way she is now and also exactly what this book she's stolen from the cult really is. It's split into four interlocking stories. The first and the last involve Jo and the book and the middle two stories involve other wo
Bram Ryckaert
Mar 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
I liked this volume better than the previous one, because we got more insight into Jo... and her predecessors. 'West of Hell' begins and ends with Josephine, but we also learn that there have been women with her gifts since the middle ages. It's even possible that Josephine is just a reincarnation of Mathilda and Bonnie, since their looks are very similar. Either way, we travel through four different time periods and that gives this volume a lot of variation. Not just in terms of story, but it a ...more
C. Varn
Feb 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
If this series has a five act structure, Ed Brubaker takes this volume and expands on the mythology of the Fatale in a way that is both interesting and baffling. There are three tales that may or may not be different characters for Josephine, and in three radically different time periods. The earliest character is an origin story but also seems the least like Josephine in art style, but each letter story the character physically resembles Jo more and more. Matilda in 1282 has a clear origin “A L ...more
Austin Zook
Jun 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Another excellent installment; instead of moving the overarching narrative forward, this volume is focused on fleshing out the history of the series. It takes the form of four interconnected short stories, two of which focus on Josephine--in Depression-era Texas and with Walt during WWII--and two focus on her predecessors, one in the Middle Ages and one during the 1800s in the West. They're all gorgeous (as always) and quick, enthralling reads. A worthy addition to this top-notch series.
Rwan Snow
Aug 25, 2013 rated it it was ok
when I reached the end of the story I flipped the cover to check if there's another part but guess what? the one I was holding was the another part! lol no wonder why I didn't understand the story. will try to get the first two parts then re-read the comic again
Jaqueline Miguel
Brevemente...
Foi o meu favorito até agora.
Aildiin
Mar 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
A bunch of one shot that dig into Josephine's past.
Better than the previous book in my view.
Christopher (Donut)
Ugh. This entire volume was a waste of time, IMO.
The story does not really advance, just backtracks.
To medieval France (gosh) and, wait for it, Nazi-occupied Romania.

Be still my beating heart! What will Brubaker think of next?

Wank wank wank wank.
Brennan Miles
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
4 overall - Another solid entry in the Fatale series. This one focuses on some loosely related back stories. Not as exciting as the main story, but it’s world building at its finest. Brubaker and Phillips are a helluva team.
Casey
Jul 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, noir
Volume 3 of Fatale is stronger than the previous stories, as it pulls away from the romantic relationships and attempts to give more backstory on Jo and the mystery surrounding her.

In this volume, two new characters are introduced from the past, Mathilda and Bonnie. Mathilda lived in 13th century France; Bonnie in the 1880s of Colorado. They have lives eerily similar to Jo, but this volume isn't giving away any answers. Both are able to easily attract men and have been hunted by that crazy cult.
Kat
May 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
I LOVE THIS SERIES!!!!
So far, this is my favorite. So much background information, and a lot of what's not said is left up to your interpretation, unless of course, Brubaker & friends address it in the next volume.
Anyway, this series has been a big topic of discussion between me & the owner of the local comic book shop. There is literally something for everyone in this series. Demons, damsels in distress, badass bitches, murder, revenge, love, horror, monsters, religion. You name it, th
Morgane
Nov 12, 2013 rated it it was ok
This volume is finally, kind of, starting to break the pattern of "pretty lady is pretty, pretty lady is in danger, pretty lady narrowly escapes danger". But it's not bringing a whole lot more to the table.

The art is getting redundant too. The whole thing is getting complacent. I wish the series were over so I could read the wikipedia page on it, find out how it ends, and move on with my life.
Edward Rathke
Jan 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Thought I'd rate this one especially since it's my favorite of the books so far. Less focused on the generic noirish love entanglement and more interested with all the weird horror happening beneath the previous two books. Definitely the most interesting of the bunch. Waiting to get my hands on the conclusion.
Krystal
Aug 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013
A prequel of pure awesome. I love how they don't explain *everything* with Josephine's origins. You really only get the highlights of things she remembers, and I felt this explained a lot about her character without over doing it. And my favorite, evil octo-face, makes an appearance. A blend of old world magic, occultism, nazis, cults... You can't go wrong.
Morgan
I actually kind of liked this one? It was more like short vignettes of women who all look the same as Jo/Josephine from as far back as the middle ages. Some of that time it's a woman called Mathilda. Then Bonnie.

Of course there's still no real -- here's what is going on.

Just "HEY HAVE SOME MORE TENTACLES AND DEATH."
Jason
Dec 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
While this volume doesn't flow as well, Brubaker expands the world he's created exponentially by introducing us to possible previous incarnations of Jo throughout history in what amounts to a short story anthology that works even if you haven't read the previous volumes.
Daniel
Jul 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Another fine installment in Brubaker and Phillip's increasingly brilliant horror/noir series. The lack of answers is a little frustrating, but I'm sure they know what they're doing, and already vol 3 is bringing together elements from the very start of Fatale.
Ahmed Jadaa
Aug 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book reeks of Lovecraft. Another page-turner that proves the story is going somewhere. I am actually glad this one did what I wanted and followed Josephine's perspective throughout the whole book. Good stuff. My only problem is I dont have the next book with me at the moment.
Kelly Lynn Thomas
This volume has a bunch of short stories about other "fatales," but it also had a few shorts about Josephine's past. I liked it because it was non-linear, but I'm also left wondering what's going on in the main storyline.
Stephen Lord
Jul 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
In a change of pace from previous volumes, West of Hell offers four distinctive yet connected stories that shed more light on who Josephine is and where she came from. Or do they?
  • Stumptown, Vol. 2: The Case of the Baby in the Velvet Case
  • Revival, Vol. 6: Thy Loyal Sons & Daughters
  • MIND MGMT, Volume Two: The Futurist
  • Scalped, Vol. 10: Trail's End (Scalped, #10)
  • The Manhattan Projects, Vol. 2: They Rule
  • Sweet Tooth, Volume 6: Wild Game
  • The Sixth Gun, Vol. 4: A Town Called Penance (The Sixth Gun, #4)
  • Mind the Gap, Volume 2: Wish You Were Here
  • The Unwritten, Vol. 6: Tommy Taylor and the War of Words
  • Rachel Rising, Volume 2: Fear No Malus
  • Chew, Vol. 11: The Last Suppers
Ed Brubaker (born November 17, 1966) is an Eisner Award-winning American cartoonist and writer. He was born at the National Naval Medical Center, Bethesda, Maryland.

Brubaker is best known for his work as a comic book writer on such titles as Batman, Daredevil, Captain America, Iron Fist, Catwoman, Gotham Central and Uncanny X-Men. In more recent years, he has focused solely on creator-owned titles

Fatale (5 books)
  • Fatale, Vol. 1: Death Chases Me (Fatale, #1)
  • Fatale, Vol. 2: The Devil's Business (Fatale, #2)
  • Fatale, Vol. 4: Pray for Rain (Fatale, #4)
  • Fatale, Vol. 5: Curse the Demon (Fatale, #5)