Start by marking “Fatale, Vol. 3: West of Hell” as Want to Read:
Fatale, Vol. 3: West of Hell

Fatale, Vol. 3: West of Hell

(Fatale #3)

The third arc of the hit series hits stands the same day as the next one begins! From the dark days of the depression, to the middle ages and the old west, these tales of horror and myth and the mystery of the Femme Fatale reveal secrets even our heroine doesn't know about yet. Bold and experimental, this is pulp noir horror at it's finest.

Collecting: Fatale 11-14
Paperback, Trade, 128 pages
Published June 5th 2013 by Image Comics

To ask other readers questions about Fatale, Vol. 3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fatale, Vol. 3

Start your review of Fatale, Vol. 3: West of Hell
Sr3yas
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Guess what? Things are getting weird over here!

Let's just say nightclubbing in the 19th century was really bold!

I can explain this volume of Fatale in Brubaker's own words:

❝ Every time she thought she understood the nightmare, another layer fell away and a new horror was revealed.❞

Hell, yea! This volume features four short stories set in four different timelines and locations. Each one chronicles Josephine's destructive life and the men she ruined unwillingly. One of the stories even fe
Jan Philipzig
More fatales, more worship, more misery: set in different historical eras, the four one-shots collected in this volume make it quite obvious that Brubaker has no idea where to go with his mystery. But what the heck, as long as things are as stylish as this I ain't complaining...
Anne
Aug 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
So, who is Josephine?
More importantly, what the hell is Josephine?

description

Josephine doesn't know the answer to that question, either. But in these issues, you get a glimpse of her past life/lives and you kind of get a feel for a bit more of the scope of her story if nothing else.

description

Wacky stuff happens. <--it's a wacky concept, so what do you expect?
You do get some answers, but not really, because you get even more questions to go along with them.

description

I'm just on the edge of my seat and ready to go wherever B
Forrest
Jun 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I admit it, my background as a writer has influenced my enjoyment of this volume a great deal. I started as a short-story writer and themed anthology editor before turning to the novel form. I just felt like a more natural short-story writer. It came quite easily to me, maybe because I was raised in the MTV generation and have a short attention span. Or, perhaps it's because I am a slow reader and a slow writer. Or maybe I'm just lazy.

Whatever the case, I can appreciate a good short-story, well-
Sesana
Aug 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Unlike previous volumes, this Fatale collection is more like a series of short stories, each set in a different time and place. Really, it serves as a form of exposition, explaining (somewhat, sort of) what Josephine is, who is pursuing her, and who has gone before her. Not everything is explained, which is good. A little mystery around the edges of the story keeps me interested. I liked meeting women like Josephine through history. They are all somewhat similar, but I can chalk that up to being ...more
Ronyell
Fatale

Introduction:

After reading the first two volumes of Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips’ awesome horror series “Fatale,” I just have to pick up the third volume of this series “West of Hell” and I found this volume just as enjoyable as the previous two volumes!

What is this story about?

Let us take a break from the adventures of Nicolas Lash and explore the dark secrets that surround the mysterious beautiful woman Josephine in her past adventures before she met Nicolas Lash. There are a total
Gavin
Sep 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Well I still liked this Volume of the series, but where it was in Volume 1, it's not quite gone where I thought it was. I realize Fatale is the title, so that it follows the femmes makes sense, but when they keep introducing more femmes (even in standalone stories), you start to lose focus on who's from when and what they're doing.
Luckily, half the book covers Jo, our protagonist, in the 1930s Texas, and then in WWII when she first meets up with one of the men from the first volume, as he is dr
Crystal Starr Light
Bullet Review:

Four short stories about the life of Josephine...or Mathilda...or Bonnie.

I think what really helped me enjoy this one was that we finally get some hints of answers. Some idea of who Josephine is, what's going on, and why she can live for so long.
James DeSantis
Jan 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was great, up until the last issue, which was okay.

Fatale takes a break from a long narrative to tell basically 4 individual stories all revolving around the centeral character. In doing so we get a lot of different time lines and locations. It doesn't reflect the modern story at all, which could be a plus since last volume it was the weakest part. But do we get any answers?

Each story is interesting and I'm eager to see if we do get a answer on who she is. I also love the art still, Sean
Dave
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
I've read a number of novels lately with themes about reincarnation and different lives through time. It's therefore fitting that I found a graphic novel that echoes those same themes. In this third volume in the Fatale noir horror graphic novel series, we learn about a number of Josephine's past lives as we find her in the Middle Ages in France burned at the stake, out in the Wild West captured by Native Americans, in the roaring Twenties, and captured by the Nazis. She may not yet know what sh ...more
Ed Erwin
Feb 09, 2020 rated it liked it
Four more short stories of the immortal femme fatale, Josephine, as she is chased by Lovecraftian horrors. This time there is American noir, European witch hunts, American wild west, and WWII. I would prefer a long-form story rather than these short snippets, but still quite good.
Scott Rhee
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When I read Ed Brubaker/ Sean Phillips’s graphic novel series “Fatale”, I hear Electric Light Orchestra’s classic song “Evil Woman” playing in my head. Granted, it’s a bit unfair, since the anti-heroine of the series isn’t evil, per se, she’s merely a vessel of evil. Okay, that sounds bad. She’s merely a woman who unwittingly brings death and destruction down upon every man that she encounters. No, wait, that sounds horrible, too...

So, she’s the archetypal femme fatale: the woman in literature a
Tom Mathews
Four linked stories featuring the same (sort of) character throughout history. Pretty good although the WWII story is rather cheesy.
Caitlin
And back to amazing! The Lovecraftian influences really dominate this volume and I loved every second of it!

This volume makes a return to the more compelling horror aspects of the first volume and builds on the reader's understanding of both what has happened to make Josephine the way she is now and also exactly what this book she's stolen from the cult really is. It's split into four interlocking stories. The first and the last involve Jo and the book and the middle two stories involve other wo
Bram Ryckaert
Mar 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
I liked this volume better than the previous one, because we got more insight into Jo... and her predecessors. 'West of Hell' begins and ends with Josephine, but we also learn that there have been women with her gifts since the middle ages. It's even possible that Josephine is just a reincarnation of Mathilda and Bonnie, since their looks are very similar. Either way, we travel through four different time periods and that gives this volume a lot of variation. Not just in terms of story, but it a ...more
BellaGBear
Dec 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
The story is getting more and more intriguing. However, this volume is more an interlude in the storie with short background stories. Probably to show us more of the world and mythology around the Femme fatale.
C. Varn
Feb 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
If this series has a five act structure, Ed Brubaker takes this volume and expands on the mythology of the Fatale in a way that is both interesting and baffling. There are three tales that may or may not be different characters for Josephine, and in three radically different time periods. The earliest character is an origin story but also seems the least like Josephine in art style, but each letter story the character physically resembles Jo more and more. Matilda in 1282 has a clear origin “A L ...more
Austin Zook
Jun 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Another excellent installment; instead of moving the overarching narrative forward, this volume is focused on fleshing out the history of the series. It takes the form of four interconnected short stories, two of which focus on Josephine--in Depression-era Texas and with Walt during WWII--and two focus on her predecessors, one in the Middle Ages and one during the 1800s in the West. They're all gorgeous (as always) and quick, enthralling reads. A worthy addition to this top-notch series.
Christopher (Donut)
Ugh. This entire volume was a waste of time, IMO.
The story does not really advance, just backtracks.
To medieval France (gosh) and, wait for it, Nazi-occupied Romania.

Be still my beating heart! What will Brubaker think of next?

Wank wank wank wank.
Rwan
Aug 25, 2013 rated it it was ok
when I reached the end of the story I flipped the cover to check if there's another part but guess what? the one I was holding was the another part! lol no wonder why I didn't understand the story. will try to get the first two parts then re-read the comic again
Jason
Dec 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
While this volume doesn't flow as well, Brubaker expands the world he's created exponentially by introducing us to possible previous incarnations of Jo throughout history in what amounts to a short story anthology that works even if you haven't read the previous volumes.
Licha
Aug 04, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Still not sure where this is going. Is this woman a succubus? Am I supposed to sympathize with her? Hoping some clarity will come soon.
Artemy
Sep 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: image-comics, comics
This was much better than previous volume. It opens up the story a bit, adds some more mythos and explores some interesting time periods.
Aildiin
Mar 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
A bunch of one shot that dig into Josephine's past.
Better than the previous book in my view.
Jacob Mendelsohn
Feb 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This volume contained a series of one off stories that help to build the world and history that makes up Fatale. Each story builds up to a degree the same sort of sense the first two volumes contain. I cannot wait to read the next volume. As side note, every since I read Twenty Days of Turin I immediately associate brutal invisible murders with it.
Brennan Miles
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
4 overall - Another solid entry in the Fatale series. This one focuses on some loosely related back stories. Not as exciting as the main story, but it’s world building at its finest. Brubaker and Phillips are a helluva team.
Koen Claeys
Apr 04, 2020 rated it liked it
I liked it but most of the stories suffered a bit because of the high doses of predictability. The last story read more like a mediocre Hellboy-comic (and god knows we have enough of those...)
Paul Swanson
May 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
More occult horror. More mystery. Less classic noir.
Short stories and stories within stories.
And Nazi killing.
Good ol' Nazi killin.
"Die you chicken-$#!%-^&@*s!"

Good writing. Good art.

Wing Kee
Oct 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
I like anthologies, if they are done right, and here, it's done right.

The central mystery of Jo and her condition has been the main focus of this series since the first page of this wonderful series and finally we get some insight on her history and a whole load of world building, done as an anthology that time jumps per issue, this collection is an awesome wonderful read.

World: Phillips art is wonderful and the different eras that this anthology travels through is great as it shows his abilit
David Schaafsma
Feb 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gn-crime
I said in my reviews of the two previous volumes that I wasn't so into the noir-horror mashup that is the foundation of this series, so I stopped reading it for awhile, and then just picked up the next two volumes, and as is kids typical of me, I find myself liking the world I am revisiting, it feels familiar and interesting to me. Why does that happen?! But if you are a writer you would go crazy trying to imagine all the reasons readers might NOT want to read something… and you just have to pow ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Once & Future, Vol. 1
  • Nailbiter, Vol. 1: There Will Be Blood
  • Rachel Rising, Volume 2: Fear No Malus
  • Die, Vol. 2: Split the Party
Ed Brubaker (born November 17, 1966) is an Eisner Award-winning American cartoonist and writer. He was born at the National Naval Medical Center, Bethesda, Maryland.

Brubaker is best known for his work as a comic book writer on such titles as Batman, Daredevil, Captain America, Iron Fist, Catwoman, Gotham Central and Uncanny X-Men. In more recent years, he has focused solely on creator-owned titles

Fatale (5 books)