Start by marking “The Fire Rose (Elemental Masters, #0)” as Want to Read:
The Fire Rose (Elemental Masters, #0)

The Fire Rose

(Elemental Masters 0.5)

San Francisco, 1905: Rosalind, a medieval scholar, is hired by Jason, a powerful sorcerer. Jason's enemy offers to restore Rosalind's family fortune if she will betray Jason. And then the earthquake strikes. . . .
Published November 1st 1996 by Baen (first published January 1st 1995)

Miriam
May 04, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This adaptation of Beauty and the Beast cuts out the merchant father and sisters mourning their sudden impoverishment. Instead of a formerly-wealthy beauty, our heroine is the recently-orphaned daughter of a professor. Highly educated herself, but lacking family or funds, she perforce accepts a position as a governess in far-away California. But it turns out there are no children, only a Beast who needs someone to translate some dead languages...

This was a fun book. It would be better if Lackey
Kathleen
Hadn't read Lackey before, but she's prolific, and some reviews are very positive, so I was looking forward to her take on Beauty and the Beast in historic San Francisco. What a disappointment! For those who want romance, there is not so much as a kiss despite the HEA wedding -- no great loss, since I dislike the hero, Jason Cameron.

I had more respect for the heroine, Rosalind (Rose) Hawkins. But not much. Blame it on Lackey's introduction of this young bespectacled historian.

Some spoilers ahe
Mariel
Jul 12, 2009 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: the bangles
Recommended to Mariel by: an untrustworthy (it is clear to me now) amazon reviewer
You know the old cliche of something being so bad it is good? Some cliches and stereotypes got started in the first place for a good reason. They say that to indicate the bad stuff you enjoy that gives you indigestion afterwards. Well, The Fire Rose is almost so bad it's good and then so bad it's back to being plain old bad again. Throwing up your hands in frustrated disgust bad. (I feel like those chicks from the yoghurt ads. "Good... Unbutton your pants and cut up your credit cards GOOD!") It' ...more
Jane
Jan 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was wonderfully surprised by this book. I thought it might a retailing of the Beauty and the Beast story, but I was very surprised by the ending.
It is the story of Rose Hawkins and Jason Cameron. Jason had invoked, through pride, a powerful spell that transformed him into part wolf. Rose is hired to help him translate ancient text, for he is looking to reverse his mistake.
I loved the fire salamanders character's. Also the Chinese mages.
Rose character is a strong intelligent woman, in a time
Leeanna
Apr 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: i-own
The Fire Rose, by Mercedes Lackey

Do NOT judge this book by its cover!

"The Fire Rose" is a gem, a masterful retelling of the Beauty and the Beast story.

The Beauty is Rose Hawkins, a booksmart Chicago native working toward a doctorate at university. The Beast is Jason Cameron, a San Francisco rail baron, and a man trapped by hubris in the body of a wolf.

Left penniless when her father dies, Rose has few options for survival. She could work as a governess or a teacher, but pursuing her cherished d
G.
Feb 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
She might be stepping off into the unknown, but it was not with a sense of adventure.

No shit.

And yes, that's all I'm gonna say, because The Fire Rose was so utterly meh that I have nothing to add.
Jojo
Mar 11, 2008 rated it it was ok
Jessica
May 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. It's a retelling of Beauty and the Beast, set in San Francisco just prior to the Great Earthquake of 1906. As always, her characters are so real that I felt like they were friends immediately: smiling with them, nodding when they talked. . . . You just get drawn right into this time and these people.
~M~
May 02, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Should I even get into the one dimensional Paul du Mond? The entire book, I was waiting for him to tie Rosalind to Cameron's railroad tracks, and then twist his mustache while laughing mockingly: "MWAH-ha-ha-ha-haaaa!" It's the only cliche the author missed including.

I loved Mercedes Lackey in college but sometime in my 30s I became tired of her simplistic characters, and especially of the chip she has on her shoulder regarding organized religion. If I had to read one more time that non-orthodox
Jun 12, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, fairytales
I was excited as hell when I saw that Lackey had done a fairy tale retelling, as I tend to like her work, and I love fairy tale retellings.

However, I found this book rather a disappointment. Robin McKinley is 100 times more talented at the retelling, and honestly, I don't think Lackey put her best effort into this.

A decent read, but not really worth the effort.
LG (A Library Girl's Familiar Diversions)
This book is set in the early 20th century. Rose Hawkins is a young scholar in Chicago who finds herself having to make some tough decisions after her father dies and creditors take nearly everything she has left. With no other options left to her, she accepts a position as a governess for the children of Jason Cameron, a wealthy rail baron in San Francisco. When she arrives at her new home and workplace, she discovers that Cameron wasn't entirely truthful. While he doesn't actually have childre ...more
Jennie
Jun 17, 2008 rated it it was ok
I did not enjoy this book. The author took a beautiful fairy tale and tried to make it "grown-up"... which defeats the whole purpose. It was good to read, but I will never read it again. I read it in response to claims that is was "better than Beauty" by Robin Mckinley, which is SOOOO GOOOD!!! Well, I didn't like it. 3/4 of the way through it I was just reading to finish it, not because I was enthralled or wanted to know what happened. My biggest... dislikes were: 1) the beast never changed. I k ...more
Rachmi

This Beauty and the Beast retelling reminds me of Jane Eyre, in a way. Rose, the heroine, is like Jane Eyre, is so determine to have the same position with Jason Cameron, the hero, even when he is her employer. She's highly educated, smart and witty and a bookworm too. I cannot help not to love her. Jason is also easy to love, though I have to admit that I don't like the way he’s keeping an eye on her. It isn't a good thing to do, if you ask me.

These lovable main characters make me enjo
Matthew
Oct 24, 2015 rated it liked it
This book felt rather like it was written by a teenaged girl as Beauty and the Beast fanfiction without an editor. The villain was totally one dimensional and stupid. There were glaring gaps in continuity and so many plots that were started but not properly followed up upon. The worst example was a Chinese herbalist who gives Rose four packets of four different colors and then she uses the wrong colored packet in the next scene and the other three packets are never mentioned again.

But despite al
Heather
Mar 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
So each time I reread this book, I think I like it a little less. For one thing, random quotation marks are everywhere and random quotation marks drive me INSANE. Rose was too smart to be a "proper" "lady" and the "good" "Christians" objected to her "modern" ideas. Arg! Death to random quotation marks! For another thing, ML has certain canned rants about religion and the oppression of women that get old, especially because they're not particularly sophisticated canned rants. I've started skippin ...more
Carien
Jun 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
This book in the The Elemental Masters series is often overlooked as it is published by Baen and not by DAW as the rest is and I think that's a shame as I think this one is the best!

Now I must confess that Beauty and the Beast is one of my favourite fairytales so that might be why I love this book as it uses that fairytale as a basis for this story.

The story is set in 1905 and Lackey sure did her research to create a believable setting and her characters are all well thought out and vary from li
Graylark
Jun 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Retelling of Beauty and the Beast. Was a good read, but last chapter felt like a letdown after all the buildup. Ended with a fizzle rather than a bang.

Also, I don't know what the blurb writer was smoking, but "Jason's enemy offers to restore Rosalind's family fortune if she will betray Jason" was not in the book.
Darnell
May 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
I had some issues with how this book was constructed, but Lackey's writing is good enough that I still enjoyed it anyway. Considering this is a precursor to the real series, I'm definitely interested in reading more.
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
This was an entertaining read although I did feel things did drag on a bit on the second half of the book, with nothing much happening.
Anna
One of the reasons I love this book - the core story is a re-telling of Beauty and the Beast
Aphelia
Jun 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a light read that drags a bit around the middle and doesn't finish as strongly as it could have, which was a little disappointing.

The Fire Rose is a loose retelling of the Beauty and the Beast fairy tale, set in Victorian San Francisco. It is part of Lackey's long running Elemental Masters series but can be read as a standalone. Indeed, I'm not sure why this novel is classified so oddly; it seems to be the 1st in the Elemental Masters series, but when it's listed with that series, it's u
MargaretDH
I've always thought that if I had to relive a fairy-tale, I'd like it to be Beauty and the Beast. I love books, so the big library appeals to me, and I'm pretty good at solitude, so that part wouldn't freak me out too much. Plus, who wants to do dishes and laundry for seven dudes? Or sleep so long everyone you know is dead? And I do love swimming, so having a tail would be cool, but I'm less into the part where I lose my voice and walk on knives.

Anyway, I'm not much for straight up romance, but
Sarah Baker
I tried to give this one a go, I really did. But I just could not get into the story. And while I know that we're supposed to find duMond repulsive, I really didn't need to know what he did with his free time. So I'm giving up at 34.18%. Maybe I bailed too early, but I've got other books to read.
Darrell Hoberer
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books. Loved it on audio.
Sasha Russell
Jun 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I thought this book was awesome. Not perfect, but the story really drew me in. It wasn't too romance novel-ish and it was set in a semi-realistic setting.
Kat  Hooper
Apr 18, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Originally posted at Fantasy Literature. http://www.fantasyliterature.com/revi...

Mercedes Lackey’s ELEMENTAL MASTERS is a series of ten (so far) novels that take place on an alternate Earth where some people are born with the ability to learn to control fire, water, air, or earth. Each book is also a fairytale retelling, though you may not notice that if you’re not looking for it in the story.

The first ELEMENTAL MASTERS novel, The Fire Rose, is based on “Beauty and the Beast” and is set in 1905-
Ariel
Quick back story: I bought the second and third books in the series by accident in Hawaii on vacation with my family when I was in 9th grade. I came home from vacation with more books than I had taken with me. It was awesome.

Anyway, found out by just searching Mercedes Lackey that there was actually 1) more books in the series (woot!), and 2) theres an actual first book that I overlooked! *gasp*

I love Rose. I love how fiesty she is, I love how she's so decisive and tries to take charge of her ow
Rosemarie
Sep 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I first read this book before Goodreads existed, and although I always think of it as one of my favorites, I didn’t feel that I remembered enough to really do it justice in a review. I recently reread it though, and am happy to say it does stand up to the test of time. It was also the first Mercedes Lackey book I ever read and have since read many others because she is an outstanding writer.

I love that this book is set in San Francisco. I once took the train there myself and so I can very much r
Bryce
Oct 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reread
This is a book that I first read and loved as a teenager that I like to return to when I need the literary equivalent of a comfort binkie. Most of Mercedes Lackey's works are like that for me: easy, familiar, homey, comfortable.

In The Fire Rose, impertinent female scholar Rosalind Hawkings has fallen on desperate times. Her father has died, leaving her penniless and the creditors are circling. She's saved by a fortuitous and unexpected job offer from rail baron Jason Cameron. She's to tutor his
Madison Mega-Mara...: The Fire Rose by Mercedes Lackey 1 3 Jan 16, 2014 07:56AM

• The Valdemar Companion
  • Once Upon an Autumn Eve (Faery, #3)
  • Tiger Burning Bright
  • In Celebration of Lammas Night
  • Elvenborn (Halfblood Chronicles, #3)
  • If I Pay Thee Not in Gold
  • Rose Daughter
  • To Ride Pegasus (The Talent, #1)
  • The Charmed Sphere (Lost Continent, #1)
  • Heart's Blood
  • The Wild Swans
  • To Visit the Queen (Cats of Grand Central, #2)
  • Stranger at the Wedding (Windrose Chronicles #4)
  • The Godmother (Godmother, #1)
  • The Raven Ring (Lyra, #5)
  • Competitions (The Blending, #2)
  • White as Snow
  • The Wind-Witch (Warhorse of Esdragon, #2)
Mercedes entered this world on June 24, 1950, in Chicago, had a normal childhood and graduated from Purdue University in 1972. During the late 70's she worked as an artist's model and then went into the computer programming field, ending up with American Airlines in Tulsa, Oklahoma. In addition to her fantasy writing, she has written lyrics for and recorded nearly fifty songs for Firebird Arts &am ...more

Elemental Masters (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • The Serpent's Shadow (Elemental Masters, #1)
  • The Gates of Sleep (Elemental Masters, #2)
  • Phoenix and Ashes (Elemental Masters, #3)
  • The Wizard of London (Elemental Masters, #4)
  • Reserved for the Cat (Elemental Masters, #5)
  • Unnatural Issue (Elemental Masters, #6)
  • Home from the Sea (Elemental Masters, #7)
  • Steadfast (Elemental Masters #8)
  • Blood Red (Elemental Masters, #9)
  • From a High Tower (Elemental Masters, #10)
“Mister Cameron - I have read the unexpurgated Ovid, the love poems of Sappho, the Decameron in the original, and a great many texts in Greek and Latin histories that were not though fit for proper gentlemen to read, much less proper ladies. I know in precise detail what Caligula did to, and with, his sisters, and I can quote it to you in Latin or in my own translation if you wish. I am interested in historical truth, and truth in history is often unpleasant and distasteful to those of fine sensibility. I frankly doubt that you will produce anything to shock me. ” 57 likes