Start by marking “Redwood Violet (Redwood Violet, #1)” as Want to Read:
Redwood Violet (Redwood Violet, #1)

Redwood Violet

(Kate Reid #1)

Katie Reid is living the quintessential Southern California life. A dream job and her college sweetheart, Spencer top it all off. However, she can't seem to shake the terrible dreams that have been tormenting her nights these past few months. After seeking help to find relief from the exhausting effects of these dreams, it becomes apparent that Katie is dealing with someth ...more
Published March 20th 2013 by Createspace (first published March 13th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Redwood Violet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Redwood Violet

Sue
I won "Redwood Violet" by Robin Mahle through the Goodreads Giveaway Contest. This is a fast-paced psychological suspense novel. If you start this book, you better be prepared to stay up and finish it. It is that good.

Katie Reid and her fiancé, Spencer, live in San Diego, California. Spencer was in prelaw and Katie was studying social sciences when they met seven years ago. They moved in together after finishing college, almost two years ago. Now Spencer was an intern at the law firm studying fo
Sydney Mugerwa
I am going to be brutally honest with this book. I found the writing style rather bland; the characters were too perfect like in a Hollywood drama; rather cliche. the story was a bit of a drag too, the dialogue plastic. The climax at the end was too short-lived. I was just getting warmed up for it and then it was over, just like that.

Much as I have said all that, I was not bored, reading it and never did it cross my mind to abandon the book. In many ways, the author has a subtle way of holding
Kate Sherwood
DNF at 4%. Usually I'd give a book longer than that, but this one is just too painful. The line of dialogue that broke my spirit?

"Katie, when we met in college, I had no idea that the 5'6" brunette beauty who stands before me now would turn out to be my soul mate..."

I mean--this is his PROPOSAL, and the author uses it as an excuse for an info-dump about their backstory and her appearance. Blech.
Judy Churchill
Oct 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a ride! I was so involved in this story I couldn’t put the book down. This is the definition of a thriller. Local San Diego police, FBI, a serial killer and all that goes with it kept me on the edge of my seat. Characters had amazing depth which is often missing in this even the best of this genre. I can hardly wait to start the next book in this series.
Beth
Sep 17, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I usually don't review something that I could not get more than a quarter of the way into...but I felt that I needed to counter all the glowing reviews. The premise sounded interesting, but this is a hot mess. Grammatical errors abound with no sign of editing. Is the main character Kate or Katie? The characters are cardboard. How does someone get through high school and college without having set foot in a library since age 12, as claimed by the main character? I am glad this was free through Ki ...more
Bob
May 21, 2015 rated it it was ok
I didn't receive this book from the author in exchange for an honest review, but I'm going to give an honest review - because it helps no one to give a dishonest review.

First the good stuff. The book was grammatically correct, as was the spelling. Wow, what a difference from most Indie first time attempts. The plot was current and could have been the front page, above the fold, headliner. The story progressed logically with consiststancy. Despite everything, I never considered not finishing the
Donna Alexander
Feb 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent story

The beginning was a little slow but then it picked up. You will find yourself torn with Katie's romance but also desparately pulling for her success.
Dr. Simone J. Simone
And So It Begins . . . . .

I started into this series by reading one of the later books. It captured me so thoroughly that I HAD to acquire the rest of the books to understand more clearly. This book was the perfect genesis. Too bad I'll have to waste time at work instead of immersing myself in this continuing story.
Susan
Apr 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Redwood Violet by Robin Mahle is one of those books you should not open unless you have time to read it because you won't want to put this book down. From page one I was hooked on this fascinating mystery/crime solving read. The relationships and characters are all well developed and believable. (Although how can anyone really know if they are believable unless they were put in that circumstance but I imagine it is possible for them to act the way they do in the story.) The plot was complete and ...more
Robbie
Oct 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A decent mystery about a strong-willed woman intent on learning about a catastrophic event in her childhood. The character was likeable, maybe sometimes too focused on end results and not enough on ripple effects. I rate this one 4.4 stars.
Mary K Kohl
Oct 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book

I enjoyed this book. Kept my interest and was anxious to turn the page. I would recommend it to anyone.
Lauren
Oct 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
To be completely honest, I didn't even realize this was a series until I looked up the blurb on Amazon. But it makes perfect sense that this could not be contained to just one book. I would have been very, very, very upset with that.

Poor Katie, she has been living her whole life not knowing something that had a HUGE impact on her whole family, but mostly herself. These nightmares aren't just regular dreams, they are memories that have been suppressed for almost twenty years. Now that she knows t
Lynda Kelly
Apr 24, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: deleted
This was a tricky one to score. A very good story indeed, I really liked it and it held my interest (aside from Katie's continual crying) but the mistakes totally wore me down. They continued from start to finish as well........it got very, very tiresome and a few times I was inclined to pack it in altogether.
I was only on the second page before speechmarks were missed and that happened a LOT throughout.
She writes bride's maids which I've never, ever seen written that way yet used bridesmaids th
Carol  MacInnis
Aug 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Katie Reid lives in San Diego after leaving her home town of Rio Dell, North California where her parents still reside. Her relationship with her parents was never a particularly close one, although she does have very early memories of a happier childhood, it seemed very short-lived. Now in San Diego with miles separating her from her parents, she has a happy life in a job she loves and lives with the man of her dreams who she met in college and have been inseparable ever since. But for the past ...more
Annemarie
Feb 22, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-english
There were just too many things about this book that bothered me. Katie was so stupid, reckless and illogical, that it just became frustrating to read. (view spoiler) ...more
Elaina
Feb 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book caught and held my attention from page one to the end. The story revolves around Katie, who suffered through a terrible event and now needs to end the pain, not only for herself, but for others who endured terrible loss at the hands of a murdering madman. (I don’t want to spoil it by giving too much detail)

The book is long, and thank heavens! The reader is taken on a journey of discovery, getting to know the characters, while the story unfolds, without feeling rushed by the plot. I tho
Michelle Frontani
Sep 19, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Seriously?!?!

If I had known the purpose of this book was just to make you read the next one I wouldn't have bothered. I can't stand when authors don't give you resolution and force you to read their next book in order to find out what happened. If I want reality I will read the newspaper or watch the news...I expect resolution in the books I read.

Unless you plan to read this authors next book, then don't bother with this one if you like stories that have an end to the story line.

Count me out. I
LooseBoots
Jul 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't sure if I was going to like this but I read some of the negative reviews about how often the name Katie was mentioned and some of the positive reviews.
Personally I thoroughly enjoyed this book. As the story unfolded it became a more intense thriller . I would thoroughly recommend this book and I already have the next book in the series lined up to read and review. Very dramatic at times but well worth it.
bonnie kirchner
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All the Shiny Things

This is the first book in this series. I really loved it . I could not put this book down. This is a very exciting thriller. This is a book you do not want to put down. You will need to finish this book I recommend this book.
Lynn Axsom
Aug 10, 2015 rated it did not like it
Lesson learned: Just because a book is free does not mean I need to download it on to my Kindle. Characters were boring, unhumanly nice, and too perfect. Don't get me started on the dialogue...boring and unrealistic. Horrible; pick a different book.
Ozetta Goodwin
Sep 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great mystery

I enjoyed this novel very much. The characters were exceptionally good and likable. The story line began a little different and continued to interest me. I am looking forward to reading another book by this author.
Crystal w
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So i loved the first one and this one was great as well. It was very interesting and dramatic and had its twists and turns. It has a great pace. I really loved it. I loved to read about the growth as a person of the main person Kate. She is a completely different person by the end of this book.
Amazin2843
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Long lasting and intriguing. Grammar almost perfect.
Patricia Hankins
GREAT

This is one if the best novels I've read in a long time. Phenomenal writing, showing emotional an character growth throughout the story,
Elizabeth Jones
May 18, 2014 rated it did not like it
Juvenile writing. The dialogue is terrible.
Kimara Nicholas
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Page Turner

Excellent read. I was rooting for Kate to get the peace and give peace to the families. Fantastic characters, suspense and superb storyline.
Susan Visser
Dec 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle
I had saved this book to my Kindle at some point and I'm sure it was one of the freebies that I downloaded. While on vacation, I couldn't connect to the internet, so I had to read what was on my Kindle. I chose this one because it fits into the realm of books that I tend to read.

But.... the book is poorly written, the characters are one-dimensional, and most of the dialog and conflict seem contrived.

This is the author's first attempt at writing, but I'd suggest she begin working with a stronger
Lynda
Feb 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kathy
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story, good characters

The story kept me wanting to read. The characters were mostly easy to identify with. Well, except for the fiance anyway.
It did seem to go around a bit repetitiously, but that could have been my impatience.
The writing and editing started off better than the average ebook, but about half way through it was as if the technical editor got tired or sloppy. Using the incorrect word, even if spelled correctly, breaks the rhythm of the story.
By the way, chile is the stuff th
Don
Aug 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
- A very interesting read putting a life together. I didn’t think it would hold my interest but it did, very well written until 3/4 through when Mahle made Officer Miller, a dumb bell! Leaves Katie left unguarded just to get her folks home, why not wait for a guard to show for Katie? Then there’s dumb Marshall and the FBI, how dumb can Mahle paint these people? Was a great story line till this point, now we’re suppose to expect this from law enforcement? Other than this big disappointment it was ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
The Perks Of Bein...: Free this wknd for Kindle(4/19-4/21) Redwood Violet 1 20 Apr 18, 2013 04:28PM
The Perks Of Bein...: Free ebook for honest reviews. 23 117 Apr 04, 2013 09:07AM

• Depraved Difference (Detective Shakespeare Mysteries, #1)
  • Chasing Bristol (The Finding Trilogy #2)
  • Designed to Kill (Greg McKenzie Mysteries, Book 2)
  • Bad Publicity (An Isobel Spice Novel, #2)
  • Before They Find Us
  • Post Pattern (Burnside Series #1)
  • Darkness
  • In Her Shadow
  • Love and Punishment
  • Secrets and Lies (Cassie Scot, #2)
  • The One We Love (A Letty Whittaker 12 Step Mystery, #2)
  • Deadly Memories
  • Close to Home (Jesse & Sarah, #3)
  • Wanton Regard
  • Shameless
  • An Act of Deceit (Sarah Woods Mystery Series, #2)
  • The Silent Swan
  • The Billionaire's Desires Vol. 2 (The Billionaire's Desires, #2)
Robin Mahle, Mystery and Suspense author, lives with her husband and two children in Arizona.

Kate Reid (9 books)
  • Law of Five (Kate Reid, #2)
  • Gone Unnoticed (Kate Reid #3)
  • Blackwaters (Kate Reid #4)
  • Endangered (Kate Reid #5)
  • The Pretty Ones (Kate Reid #6)
  • Last Word (Kate Reid #7)
  • Deadly Reckoning (Kate Reid #8)
  • To The Bone (Kate Reid #9)
“I’m glad your parents will be at the wedding. It’s important for you to see them,” 1 likes
“another” 0 likes