Start by marking “The Valdemar Companion” as Want to Read:
The Valdemar Companion

The Valdemar Companion

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  1,706 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
Fifteen years ago, Mercedes Lackey put pen to paper to write Arrows Of The Queen, her first novel about Valdemar, a fantasy kingdom replete with magical races and magical creatures, enemies and allies both sorcerous and mundane. This ancient land of mystery is unique even among fantasy realms, for it is protected by an elite corps—the Heralds. These men and women gifted wi ...more
Published December 1st 2001 by DAW Hardcover

Serena
Jun 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
It may interest some to know that Mercedes Lackey put out a cassette/CD called "Sun & Shadow" which does not follow any of her Valdemar books yet is strongly suggested to be a part of the history of Valdemar. You can sample some of the songs on YouTube, although the only place to buy it is from the Firebird Arts and Music website.

1. Valdemar (Espinoza)

2. I Found a Land (Espinoza)

3. Two Young Fools - part I (Espinoza)

8. Sun & Shadow (Lackey-Espinoza)

10. Windrider Unchained (Lackey-Espinoz
Jeremy Preacher
Ten years ago this would have been an invaluable reference - now, it's totally superceded by the internet. It's still an impressive collection of trivia, interviews, and ancillary fiction, though.

The short story is astonishingly unmemorable (which may have been the point - it's supposed to be a story of a totally average Herald, and I suppose it's a handy fill-your-name-in-here tool for dreaming about being Chosen) but the interviews, although not earthshaking, are neat, and the extensive conco
Kit MacConnell
Jun 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I reread this now and again, the short story it contains, and the entries that call to me. I will always be a fan of Mercedes Lackey, the rich world she built, and the characters that you just can't help fall in love with. The Heralds of Valdemar are a flawed ray of hope in a darker world, and I'll never get tired of them.
Kris Irvin
May 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
I love Mercedes Lackey. I love Valdemar. I love everything about this lady and her imagination.

This book is great because you can learn a lot about Lackey. She has a long interview and it's interesting to see how her brain works, and where she came from and what she does now. The book is also worth reading for the novella about Herald Tafri. I wanted more of that story!

It didn't necessarily need the gigantic encyclopedia thing at the end. I don't know that people need every single word defined
Terra
Jul 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was fun to finally read this over. I'm a huge fan of Mercedes lackey. her world was a safe place to go to when you wanted to be accepted for who you are and loved. no matter the race or sexual preferences. I've Always wanted to be a valdemar citizen.
Graylark
Dec 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Read just the novella. Light, pleasant read.
♥Xeni♥
Apr 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: valdemar fans
This was a very factual book, but for all that still vastly interesting to read. Comprised of a few stories but in actuality a lot more of information collected for any Valdemar aficionado, this is a wonderful book to read AFTER you have read all in the Valdemar series. It ties up some loose ends, explains the summaries of all the books, and even has a glossary if you forget who someone was or what something meant.

Or, perhaps this is the perfect book to have alongside as you read the novels and
Deborah Ideiosepius
Mar 26, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Major Valdemar fans
Shelves: fantasy
I found it disappointing.
There were a lot of lists; lists of the novels, lists of songs, lists of names and places and words and more. I don't get that at all; I read the books and liked them but why would I want lists of all the things in the books?

There was a refresher course in Valdemar history (really? why? why would you want one?), a few maps that did not really give much new information as far as I could see.

There was one new story and an interview. Other that that this is a book for only
Carin
Aug 14, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lackey-mercedes
I haven't read the novellas yet, but the concordance could have been done much better and the maps are practically illegible.

Update:
The novella was interesting, also the "traveller's guide", but the "companion" is still mediocre at best. A few google searches will give far more practical background than the concordance did.
Gipsea_rose
Dec 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
vary good book, it is very helpful for any reader of Lackeys Valdemar books. if you want to see where ever ones is in the modern times of Valdemar (Arrows onward) this is book with the maps for you. sadly it dose not have any of the older maps that would help one tell where people are in the books set in the past.
Elizabeth
Aug 17, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2004, fantasy
I am re-reading the Valdemar series chronologically and so the indexing terms is proving especially useful as a refresher this go around. However the section of maps is woefully incomplete and doesn't even contain all of the maps included in the individual novels. Also, the fact that the book has been published without the chronology included in all the novels is odd as well.
Donna Hutt Stapfer Bell
Jul 23, 2009 rated it did not like it
Oh dear ghads, this was awful. I think there are about 25 pages in this book worth the trouble - and the rest is pure dross and faffing.

If you are going to note the music associated with this specific body of work - why oh why would you only put the TITLES in a reference guide and not the poetry/lyrics as well?

*whines*
Ramoths Own
Oct 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
this book was so much fun to read because it gave a little capsule of so many of the stories that I am currently reading. I had to be careful not to spoil myself but I found myself smiling over revisiting some of the stories this way. The essays were fun too.
Alison (Lady Coffin) S
Mar 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Love Valdemar the stories are amazing, and a few new fun ones in here with lots of other great info.
Megan Sewell
Feb 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Anyone who has read the Valdemar series needs to add this book to their collection, excellent!
Heather
Lovely and lovingly made, but over ten years out of date.
Patty
Sep 07, 2008 rated it liked it
An enyclopedia of her world where Valdemar is, this is a book any fan of her series really should own.
Emily
Mar 04, 2011 rated it liked it
Good overview of the world, but up to this point. Would be happy to get an update edition integrating in new Valdemar mythology from the last decade or so.
Margaret
Nov 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
I liked the Companion story in this book. It is good to see an ordinary person being chosen for duty. The rest is information on the series and articles. I disliked the tour story.
Duxcaelo
Jul 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Jacob
Jan 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Very insightful and full of handy, detailed information about the world of Valdemar; I learned many new things from reading this.
Emily
Jul 27, 2011 rated it liked it
It has some useful information in it although its kind of outdated. I liked the stories too. It probably would be better to read after reading a few of the books but its not necessary.
Layla Ishler
Apr 01, 2008
Nov 11, 2008
Alice
May 07, 2014
  • Sun in Glory and Other Tales of Valdemar (Tales of Valdemar #2)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Sanctuary (Nomad, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Wired (Wired, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Bandwidth (An Analog Novel Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sufficiently Advanced Magic (Arcane Ascension, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Bees
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Land: Founding (Chaos Seeds, #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Mists of Avalon (Avalon, #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Fool's Assassin (The Fitz and The Fool Trilogy, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
  • Friday
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Dhalgren
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Homeworld (Odyssey One, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Recurve (The Elemental Series, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Out of the Black (Odyssey One, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Acacia: The War with the Mein (Acacia, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Menagerie
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Black Bird of the Gallows
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Eighth Grave After Dark (Charley Davidson, #8)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Red Mars (Mars Trilogy, #1)
  • The Gods Themselves
  • Making History
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Heart of Matter (Odyssey One, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lumière (The Illumination Paradox, #1)
  • The Birthday of the World and Other Stories
    $11.49 $1.99
  • Obsidian Son (The Temple Chronicles, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49