Start by marking “Song of the Spirits (In the Land of the Long White Cloud Saga #2)” as Want to Read:
Song of the Spirits (In the Land of the Long White Cloud Saga #2)

Song of the Spirits

(Neuseeland-Saga #2)

Song of the Spirits continues the soaring saga begun with In the Land of the Long White Cloud, as the founding families of colonial New Zealand experience trials and triumphs of friendship, romance, and unforgettable adventure.

Elaine O’Keefe is the radiant grand-daughter of Gwyneira McKenzie, who made her way to New Zealand to take a wealthy sheep baron’s hand in marriage
Published August 20th 2013 by Amazon Crossing (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Song of the Spirits, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Song of the Spirits

Start your review of Song of the Spirits (In the Land of the Long White Cloud Saga #2)
Cat
Mar 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2014
In this second book, Sarah Lark takes back to new Zealand, to the sheep farms of Christchurch and the town of Queenstown. There we will find Gwyneira, still managing Kiward Station, and Helen, now the owner and manager of a pension. The two women who travelled to New Zealand some forty years before to get married are now strugling with their families, especially their grandaughters. Elaine is the daughter of Fleurette and Ruben O'Keefe and has fallen in love with a newcomer called William Martyn ...more
Anne
Jul 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: the ones who liked the first, which you don't have to but should know!
Oh my god, I think I have another favourite author - though this second part of the saga is told in far less years than the first one, it is not boring or too detailed but you feel as if years and decades would pass till the end which is so amazing and let my heart jump and the hair of my neck went straight. I am so very looking forward to the next (and also already for the one after that...)!
Therese
My favorite part of this book was definitely the (platonic) relationship between Kura and Elaine. I loved the way you could see their friendship develop slowly.

I'm obviously not an expert on the history of New Zealand, but I doubt this is very historically accurate. I still think it's a great series and I hope to read the next (and last) book very soon.
Terry
Nov 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, audiobook
A wonderful continuation of the saga of the families that was begun in IN THE LAND OF THE LONG WHITE CLOUDS. I loved this generation of characters as much as I loved the first generation. Looking forward to continuing with the next book in the series.
Rhona
Sep 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Very good, loved it just as much as the first book
Melodie
Aug 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Song of the Spirits is the sequel to In the Land of the Long White Cloud. It follows the next generation of Gwyneira McKenzie. Her children and grandchildren along with their various loves make for an intriguing if long winded generational read.
Gwyneira's grand-daughter Elaine is the focal point of the story,though through her we are introduced and follow the loves,dramas and misadventures of the other children and grandchildren. And drama there is a plenty.
This was only historical fiction in
Frannie
Apr 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Amazon
Loved Book 1 and now Book 2. I'm looking forward to reading the final book in this series. It was rich in description of New Zealand at the time of the early settlers. The description of the coal mines and the people who worked the mines, the sheep barons and the Maori was thorough and fascinating. But the best part of this multi-layered story is the characters. They seem so alive. The author really brought them to life for me. I love historical fiction and this book covers generations of severa ...more
Melissa Storm
Jul 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow, this was a long book, but I really enjoyed taking the 700-page journey into historic New Zealand. While I didn't love this book quite as much as the first in the trilogy, I still gobbled it right up. I think what I missed most this time around was all the insights into the Maori culture that the first book brought. Still great, sweeping storyline with fantastic characters, settings, plot points. The final showdown at the end had me on the edge of my seat, which I was not expecting. I went a ...more
Kevin Kern
Jul 30, 2019 rated it liked it
This is an interesting book, but it is like reading a soap opera, because lots of things just drag on and on. The premise is great, but she does not really talk about the land in this one. Or the Maoris, who are the indigenous people of New Zealand . They are featured, but not enough is revealed about their music or customs, excepting the sexual ones.
The book is by a German author and translated by an American, neither one who seems to have visited New Zealand.
Neil
Dec 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
The second of three novels set in New Zealand is as good as the first. I'm a sucker for a good saga and this has the added bonus of being set here. Written by a German, who was done meticulous research, it is a great read. The books are nice and long as you'd want and expect in a good saga and I will most certainly be picking up the third soon to finish the series off.
Shannon
Mar 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another really great read in this series. In my opinion, not quite as good as the first book, especially in the beginning with the somewhat boring courting and flirting, but it definitely rivaled the first book toward the end. I love the way all the old characters come back and how the families are followed over the years, a bit like Outlander, and I'm really looking forward to the third book.
Shannon
Aug 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
I received this book in the mail today to review. What a beautiful cover. I love the historical aspect and being set in New Zealand will be a fun adventure for me. It is a long book but looks very worth the effort!
Carla VJ
Jan 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A seriously good book. It is a page turner from page one to the very last one!
mary brenchley-hole
Although I enjoyed the book I felt the American translation by a German author did not lend itself to the story. The use of certain Americanisms and someone stating that the time was five after one instead of five past one did grate on me a little. However it will not stop me reading the next book in the series.
Sabah
May 25, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gr-2018
Anniina
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Susan Palmer
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lark recounts...the sometimes peaceful, sometimes uneasy relationship between the Maori natives and the pakeha--the colonists. And the land, which can be rocky and formidable and also breathtakingly beautiful, is as much a character as anyone else." --Historical Novel Society

New Zealand, 1893: William Martyn is better educated and more cultivated than the other men breaking their backs searching for gold near Queenstown. William is the son of landed Irish nobility, and he comes to town ready to
Oda
May 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
This doesn't live up to the first book in any way. The handy coincidences have gone through the roof and every character is one-sided and ridiculous. They show character growth troughout the book, but not much is given to justify this growth. Also almost everything takes place in a whole new place with new people, so we see very little of the people we know and love from the first book. I absolutely refuse to think Helen could be that stupid. And I'm growing very tired of sexually sadistic villa ...more
Deborah
Mar 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book in a series about a family whose matriarch emigrated from England to New Zealand as the new country was being settled. This story was about the second and third generations of the family, with a focus on the young women of the growing family during a time of expansion in NZ. I enjoyed reading the descriptions of the country and the bits and pieces about the Maori. The writing style of the author allows you to read about the love lives and marriages of the women without be ...more
Roxanne M.
May 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing series!!!

I’m not sure I can convey exactly how amazing this authors books were! I was caught up and absolutely spellbound by her fantastic characters and story line!! One of the best authors I’ve had the privilege to discover. I fell in love with her strong female characters, who endured unspeakable pain at the hands of some nefarious men, including their husbands! The plot twists kept me gasping at each turn in utter amazement! Excellent excellent writing!!
This author deserves 100 star
Mike Hirsch
Oct 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have read this and book one of this 3-book series and am currently about 20% into the final installment. I have enjoyed this series. If one likes historical fiction then these books are for you. I have learned a lot about British people, New Zealand and life in the 19th and early 20th century from the books. I have also learned how to treat and how not to treat a spouse! Sometimes it is a little hard to follow who everyone is (there are a lot of characters) but the author usually leaves little ...more
Candace Fluckey
May 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
It took lovely Elaine 3 chances to find her beloved. Her whole unfortunate encounter with the Sideblossoms could have been avoided, but I supposed we make choices and sometimes find out the hard way they are wrong. I hope the third book continues their love story. The adults agravate me. Gwyneira has more of a backbone, than shown in this sequel. I wish someone would taken Kura over their knee and spanked her. Elaine and Timothy were the only story I cared to read about. Now she can find peace a ...more
Margaret
May 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Continues the story from book one with grand-daughter Elaine O’Keefe who inherits the land and spirit of the farm in New Zealand. When an Irishman William Martyn comes into her life her life is shattered when her half Maori coursing Kira steals him away. Both young women must endure hardships and difficult times with the choices they have made. I enjoyed the descriptions of life in NZ at this time and felt an drawn to the country probably because I have family who were first settlers to this lan ...more
Cindy Woods
Feb 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great

Second book of this series and just as good ad the first! I took several days to read this book and hated putting it down for even a minute! Great plot; wonderful characters, well described and defined as the story continues. The action and fast moving plot is well written and enthralling. Readers of historical fiction and women's books will definitely enjoy this exciting series. Anxious to get onto to book III.
Patricia
Jun 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have now read the entire Trilogy....it's a very good read. Very engaging. Since I went to Australia & New Zealand last year this was perfect.....just enough factual information to bring back memories for me and a good story with so many characters. At the beginning I made a chart of the ladies/girls who went from England to New Zealand for two reasons: marriage and a job in service for orphans..... ...more
Corinne
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Song of the Spirits seamlessly transitions the narrative from Gwyneira McKenzie to her granddaughters Elaine O’Keefe and Kura Warden. It easily weaves in new and dynamic characters, each with their own goals and motivations. The backdrop of colonial New Zealand is carefully researched. This was a 700 page book I didn't want to end. Fortunately there is one more in the series!
Susan Samuelson
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful

If possible, this book is better than the first. Sometimes when reading a trilogy you miss the characters in the first books, not so with these. This author develops each character better than any other author I can think of. She takes you from sheep farms to the coal mines. I wonder where she is taking me next!
Terralyn Brown Barfield
4-4 1/2 🌟
Though I do question the authenticity of the level of tolerance for diversity portrayed during this period in history, I admit very little knowledge of New Zealand history. Perhaps, New Zealand was more progressive than the rest of the English speaking world. I thoroughly enjoyed both this story and the 1st book in the series. I look forward to reading Call of the Kiwi.
Toni
Jun 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook-read
This is book 2 and the same disconnects continued from the first audiobook. That said, it's still a very enjoyable family saga. I still got what I wanted out of this book, interesting and twisted characters, a fast-moving plot/storyline and historical insight into New Zealand's European colonial beginnings.

Would recommend to family & friends.
Kathy
Feb 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed the NZ historical aspect and the author gives a realistic account of life as it was during the Gold rush and coal mining days down south.
Characters were varied and real. Passion, heartache, bullying, brutishness, arrogance and love intertwine over the changes in circumstances for the main characters. Really good read
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Emerald Affair (The Raj Hotel #1)
  • The Girl from the Tea Garden (India Tea #3)
  • The Secrets of the Tea Garden (India Tea #4)
  • Lands Beyond The Sea
  • The Tea Planter's Daughter (India Tea #1; Tyneside Sagas #1)
  • El legado de la villa de las telas
  • The Draper's Daughter
  • The Photographer's Saga
  • In the Far Pashmina Mountains
  • The Tea Planter's Bride (India Tea #2)
  • The Jarrow Lass
  • Regreso a tu piel
  • Las hijas de la villa de las telas
  • La mansión. Tiempos gloriosos
  • A Distant Hope (The Hansen Family Saga #1)
  • Summer at my Sister's: A delightfully uplifting and heart-warming, summer romance
  • The Jasmine Wife
Christiane Gohl (* 1958 in Bochum) ist eine deutsche Autorin. Gohl veröffentlicht ihre Romane auch unter den Pseudonymen Ricarda Jordan, Sarah Lark und Elisabeth Rotenberg. Neben Kinder- und Jugendbüchern rund um das Thema Pferde veröffentlicht Gohl auch Romane für Erwachsene.

Sie studierte Pädagogik und arbeitete als Fachjournalistin und Werbetexterin. Neben ihrer Tätigkeit als Autorin betreibt Go

Neuseeland-Saga (3 books)
  • In the Land of the Long White Cloud (In the Land of the Long White Cloud Saga #1)
  • Call of the Kiwi (In the Land of the Long White Cloud Saga #3)