Start by marking “Whodunnit? Murder in Mystery Manor (Whodunnit?, #1)” as Want to Read:
Whodunnit? Murder in Mystery Manor (Whodunnit?, #1)

Whodunnit? Murder in Mystery Manor

(Whodunnit #1)

A grand estate. Ten unsuspecting guests. A diabolical game of life and death.

A companion to the upcoming show Whodunnit? on ABC

Ten excited guests arrive at the Westlake Estate, expecting a lavish retreat. They are the winners of a sweepstakes to "Live Like a Billionaire for a Week." But what was supposed to be a promising escape soon turns into a horrific nightmare.

Within
Published June 18th 2013 by Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about Whodunnit? Murder in Mystery Manor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Whodunnit? Murder in Mystery Manor

Eustacia Tan
Jun 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
This is a whodunnit that is quite unlike most I've read. It starts with the butler (GIles) who is employed by some mysterious person. Then the guests come and no one can leave.

And like Then There Were None by Agatha Christie, they start dying one by one. Until the murderer and one other gust is left (that guest "wins"), which I guess is a huge difference from Then There Were None. But the whole murderer among the guests thing is the same.

After each murder, the remaining guests/victims are given
Steven
Jul 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
A fun mystery, set in the exact style of the current series on ABC. Not the same characters, locales, or murders, but Giles the butler does get some much needed fleshing out of his character that the show doesn't provide.

I'll read the next one! Fun and easy read!
Deneé
Jun 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Originally posted at Novel Reveries

“They will be playing a game. A game with the highest of stakes.” (loc. 174)

Oh, goodness! For me this book was beyond fantastic as it took elements of my favorite mystery of all time (Agatha Christie’s And Then There Were None,) and mixed it with some CSI, Clue, Ellery Queen, and even the Saw franchise to create a truly chilling, reader participation murder mystery as everyone tries to find out whodunnit. I was hooked from the very beginning and I couldn’t put
Carmen DeSousa
Oct 04, 2013 rated it liked it
Though I’m disappointed in the overall story as a mystery, because it was well written and the eight murders were creative, I’ll still offer ‘Whodunnit’ three stars.

I will also offer that I was correct. I had the killer pegged in the first scene, but I always figure out ‘whodunit’. The only time I am incorrect is if the author resorts to trickery. Sadly, I feel he did. I never write spoilers, so I won’t start now. But I feel he could have done exactly what he wanted without misleading the reader
Beatrice ~ Confessions of a Pinay Bookaholic
I've seen this first as a TV show and find it fascinating because I have never seen such game before. I'm still watching it and I hope there will be a second season (view spoiler). I discovered that this game shown on ABC was inspired from a book.

It's my first time to listen to an audiobook and I had difficulties at first because I fell asleep. My second attempt,
Doreen
Jul 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Eminently readable, if you're a fan of the show (which I am.) I guessed whodunnit about halfway through, and thoroughly enjoyed the creative ways the deaths were staged, but the real reason to get this book is to figure out what's behind whodunnit. I'll probably wind up getting the sequel in order to see if there are more clues, as well as to see what's befallen poor Giles next (and also for more creative murders--blame Agatha Christie for that predilection!)

(view spoiler)
Peter Wright
Jul 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
The book was promoted as the origin story of Giles, the butler on the TV show. In a way, it is, but the excitement in the book didn't really start for me until we got to the murder mystery. The game is set up in the book the same way as on the show, though the characters are different. At first, I found it difficult to remember the characteristics of 10 contestants in the book and was constantly flipping back to that chapter for reference.

As I said before, the book didn't really start getting i
Sheryl
Jul 16, 2013 rated it did not like it
I got this audiobook free from audible. I can see how some people might enjoy this book but I did not. I could not bear to listen to the whole thing. I thought it was twisted and a bit disturbing. In addition, from what I read of it, it's not really a mystery you can solve so much as one you just kind of follow along with the characters. I made it through the first murder and investigation but when each person received a note telling them whether they were "spared" or "scared" (that is to say, a ...more
Patience
I tried to give this book half a star, but that doesn't seem possible. It is a very interesting idea as a promotion for a new reality show, but reading it mostly just reminded me how much I prefer good books to most TV. The writing is terrible (Was there no editor?) and bland, the characters could only charitably be described as one-dimensional, and the plot sits on the border of disturbing and just unbelievable.
Laura Cushing
Sep 03, 2013 rated it liked it
I 'read' the audiobook version on my Kindle, as it was free from audible, but I am still counting it as a book read. I enjoyed watching the Whodunit? tv series for the crimes and murder solving - but the contestants were annoying and shallow. This book at least gives you characters who are genuinely in that situation of being murdered, not just faking-scared to try and win money. So I definitely liked that aspect of it. And I loved that it was read by the actor that plays Giles the butler- he's ...more
Quenya
A very good story done in the vein of “And Then There Were None” by Agatha Christie is filled with unique characters, great tension and a main character, the butler, who is very easy to root for.

The story is really engaging even though it doesn’t take much to figure out who the killer is. Mr. Zuiker does have a way of coming up with great deaths and a way of keeping you guessing about how the death was actually executed and who the next victim will be. The characters are very diverse even thoug
Karsyn
Aug 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic companion book to the new ABC series, Whodunnit. My hubby and I enjoy the show and listening to the audiobook, read by the butler of the show, was a fun read. I really liked the book and I look forward to more, plus watching the rest of the series. If you are a murder mystery fan and haven't checked out ABC's Whodunnit, I recommend it. It's good, if cheesy, fun!
Theresa Sivelle
Oct 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really liked both of these Whodunnit books. They were entertaining and I was surprised by both endings. Sure wish there was more of these out there.
Gidg
Mar 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery lovers
Recommended to Gidg by: audible
This was a fun book to listen to as it was as fun as the ABC TV show that it inspired; I wish the ABC network had gave it another season. Like the TV show the story had you guessing and trying to solve each murder along with the characters. Where some clues were obvious and easy to solve, there were some clues that weren't so obvious to the reader/listener and only made sense after one of the characters explained. Kind of like how in some Agatha Christie mysteries are only clear when Miss Marple ...more
Christian Hernandez
This is my absolute favorite book I've ever read of all books I have read. It's just like the tv show, but the murders are more gruesome and disturbing. It's about these guests who are playing a game of murder, where one of them is the killer, but they don't know who.

Game format:

An evil game of life and death, 10 guests, and one of them is the murderer. The game, solve how each murder happens and work together. If they do well in their murder solution as to how the murder occurred, those will b
Teddi
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
The set up was similar to a couple of other books in which the guests are forced to play the game of their life. What really fell down in this one is the ending which offered up no motive for the murders nor why the guests were selected - were they really randomly picked just so the killer could go on a spree or what?
I'd give the book 4 stars but the ending maybe 1 star.
Madeline
Jul 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery

An interesting and unusual locked room mystery.

There were pages of repetition, that slowed the story down, for me.

Highly improbable and unrealistic.

Not sure of the ending?!?
Louise d'Abadia
Apr 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. The murders were really creative and I found Giles a really compelling character. I certainly wasn't expecting to enjoy this book as much as I did. It's a refreshing must read for murder mysteries/whodunit fans.
Kassia Poties
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-pause-reading
Excellent Mystery

I loved how each mystery was played out. The ending was absolutely excellent. Had me in complete shock. Had me wanting to read it all over again just to see what I missed the first time.
Jake
May 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Murder Mystery Fans
Recommended to Jake by: iTunes
Very suspenseful and interesting book. I love that there is also a reality TV show that is similar and that Jiles the butler in the show is the narrator for the audiobook. Strongly recommend.
Alison Giese
Sep 20, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. Fun and clever. I really enjoyed this trying to solve the murders myself. I wasn't very successful, although I did correctly guess who the killer was near the beginning of the book.
Ashley
May 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-s-t, audio, media, 2019
This was fun. Kind of like a murder mystery weekend, but very EXTRA.
Kim
Sep 27, 2017 rated it liked it
A pleasant enough read. It reminded me of Agatha Christies "And Then There Were None"
Evan Phillips
May 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Not Your Average Vacation
Ten guests made their way up the stairs toward the elusive mansion, expecting that they would be enjoying a week to themselves after winning the "Live Like a Billionaire for a Week" sweepstakes. Instead what they got was a game of murder that left 8 of them dead, one of them arrested, and one as the sole winner of the game. I would advise anyone who is an avid fan of murder mysteries, or if they enjoyed the hit reality TV show Whodunnit, to read this book.

The story begin
Lory Marshall
Feb 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a traditional Clue type story, however, if you're ok with that, it's awesome! I never saw the show, but after reading this I am definitely interested! I wasn't sure who the murder was till the very end! The only thing I could think of to improve is that after we find out "Who Dunn It" I would have liked a little more of an explanation. Other than that I liked the book a lot more than I thought I would!
Cindy
May 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was such a fun book to listen to. I downloaded for free on Audible and wasn’t exactly that interested in listening to it at first, but I finished off the book I had chosen with my book credit for the month, so I decided to give it a go, and I am glad I did. Whodunnit? takes place on Mystery Manor where, similar to Agatha Christie’s And Then There Were None, guests are trapped in a manor and must find the killer before the killer gets to them. Although very similar in the plot, Whodunnit? ha ...more
Alysia
Sep 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Did you ever play the board game "Clue"? Remember, Ms. Plum did it in the library with a candlestick. LOL! I know that was decades ago but just image having a group of ten people in a huge mansion and one of them is killing them off one by one. Of course it is a game to the killer. The killer wants the guest to figure out not just whodunnit but how. This book is like "Clue" but an extremely gruesome version. The guest die in some of the most complicated and intricate ways. This is not a simple g ...more
Jeff French
Apr 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Agatha Christie's 'And Then There Were None" is a seminal mystery story. It has been retooled and retold so many times, but it's a formula that works. Zuicker takes that formula, puts a modern spin on it, and while not creating a superb novel, writes something that was fun and entertaining.
You know the drill; a group of guests have been invited to a mansion by an unknown host, they cannot leave, and one by one, they are murdered. The difference is the guests have access to only one of three area
Kayla West
Sep 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Ten guests arrive at Westlake Estate expecting a week of pampering and leisure. What they do not realize until it is too late...there is a killer among them. On their first day, during a wonderful dinner to kick off their week, one of the guests suddenly bursts into flames. The guest slumps to the floor dead, leaving the rest of the guests in horrored shock.

They are soon given the rules to a horrific game of life and death. A game that forces them to use their imaginations and their deductive re
Nay
Oct 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Ten lucky winners of an online competition are given the chance to live like a billionaire in a luxurious estate in the middle of nowhere, for a whole week. Sounds like heaven. But it's not long until they find out that it is in fact, Hell. Once they are there, they are told by the professional British butler, Giles, who is just as much a prisoner as they, that they must find evidence and solve various murders - their own. One by one, the host - who is also masquerading as one of the guests - ki ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• A Crime of Passion Fruit (Bakeshop Mystery #6)
  • Homicidal
  • An Intimate Murder (Catherine O'Brien Mystery #3)
  • Game of Clones (The Clone Chronicles, #3)
  • My Zombie Hamster
  • Sacrifice
  • A Chunk of Hell
  • Collateral Damage: An Annie Ogden Mystery
  • Stop, Thief!
  • Endangered (Kate Reid #5)
  • Doodle Adventures: The Search for the Slimy Space Slugs!
  • The Middle Aisle (Lancaster House)
  • Killer Sweet Tooth: A Daphne Martin Cake Mystery
  • Island Ghosts
  • Young Junius
  • King of Paine
  • A Pinch of Poison (A Lady & Lady's Maid Mystery, #2)
  • Dog Gone! (Good Crooks, #2)
Anthony E. Zuiker is the creator and executive producer of the American television show CSI: Crime Scene Investigation. He produced all three editions of the CSI franchise: CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, CSI: Miami and CSI: NY. Besides his work on CSI, he also founded the murder mystery show Whodunnit?. He also assisted in the writing of Terminator Salvation. He is currently involved in Blackbox ...more

Whodunnit (2 books)
  • Whodunnit? Murder on Mystery Island (Whodunnit?, #2)