Start by marking “Dead Beat (The Dresden Files, #7)” as Want to Read:
Dead Beat (The Dresden Files, #7)

Dead Beat

(The Dresden Files #7)

4.43  ·  Rating details ·  102,728 ratings  ·  3,361 reviews
When a killer vampire threatens to destroy head of Special Investigations Karrin Murphy's reputation unless Harry delivers the powerful Word of Kemmler to her, he has no choice. Now Harry is in a race against time to find the Word before Chicago experiences a Halloween night to wake the dead.
Mass Market Paperback, 517 pages
Published January 1st 2006 by Roc (first published May 3rd 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Dead Beat, please sign up.
Rob Malcolm says in the campfire scene that he's allowed to contact Harry now because one of the Fallen has made direct contact with him (when "Sheila" ta…moreMalcolm says in the campfire scene that he's allowed to contact Harry now because one of the Fallen has made direct contact with him (when "Sheila" talks to Harry in the bookstore.) It's implied here but stated clearly in later books (this is a very, very minor spoiler that doesn't really give away anything important) that angels in the Dresdenverse are limited as to what they are allowed to do in that they can only "balance" things done by the "other side." This implies that, while Malcolm himself is not an angel, he appears to be working on their side at the moment. So, I would chalk up his manifestation in Harry's waking life as "angel stuff."(less)
Rob The theory primarily comes from Jim Butcher saying that time travel will, at some point, come into play in the books. Since the book is told from Harr…moreThe theory primarily comes from Jim Butcher saying that time travel will, at some point, come into play in the books. Since the book is told from Harry's point of view, the implication is that Harry himself will time travel. Thus, fans have been looking for places that might have already shown signs of future!Harry's activities. Since Cowl's true identity is one of the larger unresolved mysteries in the books, many fans have put the two together to say that Cowl IS future!Harry. Proponents can point to some minor clues that could theoretically point that way, but nothing remotely solid. Many people theorize he's someone else entirely, with just as much proof.(less)

·  102,728 ratings  ·  3,361 reviews

Start your review of Dead Beat (The Dresden Files, #7)
Patrick
Jun 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
"Polka will never die!"
Petrik
Jun 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5/5 stars

We human don’t deserve dogs, but how about Tyrannosaurus?

“Time after time, history demonstrates that when people don't want to believe something, they have enormous skills of ignoring it altogether.”

Dead Beat, the seventh book in The Dresden Files series, revolves around the race to attain the Word of Kemmler. The case was given by a killer vampire that threatens to destroy Karrin Murphy’s reputation unless Harry Dresden recovers the Word of Kemmler and all the power that
Chris
May 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, wizardry
Book Twenty-five

Dead Beat by Jim Butcher

"Hell's Bells" count - 13

While I was on my long commute to work (not so bad, as it affords me more reading time), I wondered what the Harry Dresden from Storm Front would have made of the Harry Dresden from this book. I imagine he probably would have been scared. And to be honest, I don't think I would be able to blame him.

There's necromancy afoot in Chicago, and as much as he doesn't want to be, Harry is in the middle of all of it. He's been charged by on
Lyn
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Dr. Peter Venkman, Dr. Egon Spengler, Dr. Ray Stantz, Winston Zeddnire and Dana Barrett all sit watching The Big Lebowski and discussing Jim Butcher’s 2005 Harry Dresden novel Dead Beat – the seventh novel in the series.

Venkman: We have to drink every time we hear an F-Bomb.

All drink.

Egon: Butcher has done another outstanding job explaining and expounding upon his paranormal universe, this time returning to many of the themes he explored in his third Dresden novel Grave Peril involving ghosts an
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)

Harry Dresden fans, do you know you can get special Dresden character tea blends like this Butters one?? Just food, er, drink for thought.

Wonder what he tastes like. Corpses??

I'm 100% in love with the audiobooks for this series. James Marsters gets better and better with each book, and I'm addicted to listening to him narrate. His character vocal differentiation is improving with each story, and his inflections are spot on. He is amazing, really amazing.

In terms of plot, this one was pretty fr
carol.
The one where it really starts to get good. Has several priceless scenes, especially in the last third, that had me re-reading this book. Best dinosaur scene ever.
Heidi The Reader
This entry in The Dresden Files has wizard Harry Dresden fighting necromancers to protect his friends and contemplating his own mortality. We also get to hang out with a few side characters and see a fascinating new side of Bob, who just happens to be one of my favorite characters in the whole series.

"Because that Kemmler was a certifiable nightmare," Bob said. ... That got my attention. Bob the skull was an air spirit, a being that existed in a world of knowledge without morality. He was fairly
Daniel Greene
Apr 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Best Dresden yet. CAN WE GET CONSISTENT QUALITY PLEASE?!?!
Jody
Jan 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
“Normals looked at me like I was insane when I told people I was a wizard. People who were in the know didn’t look at me like I was insane. They looked at me like I was insanely dangerous.”

Harry Dresden is set again to hit the streets of Chicago in this seventh installment of The Dresden Files. It’s amazing to me how Jim Butcher manages to make each story in this series just as fun much as all the previous stories, sometimes even more so. In Dead Beat, Harry is set with the task of t
Tommye Turner
Apr 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy-read
SPOILER FREE

If it hadn’t been for the positive reviews for this book and the later books in the series, I probably wouldn’t have read another book in The Dresden Files after Death Masks (#6). I am so glad that I did!

This book feels like The Prisoner of Azkaban of The Dresden Files: things are getting darker; the stakes are higher; and there are several threads that are yet to be rounded off so it feels like it will only get worse before it gets better for Harry Dresden.

I loved the new character
Lindsey Rey
Jul 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, 2015
This had one of the most creative and fun uses of magic I've ever seen without creating an entirely original magic system! Also some serious character development and story progression!! You rock, Jim Butcher!
TS Chan
Jun 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars.

The best one so far.

Brief RTC.
David - proud Gleeman in Branwen's adventuring party
The chaotic events in his life may have Harry Dresden feeling Dead Beat...but his books have never been more energized!

dresdenad
As an accountant, when I have a bad day at work, it often means I spent hours poring through various mind-numbingly dull spreadsheets trying to rectify a discrepancy. Now here's Harry Dresden's version of a bad day at work. One of his most dangerous enemies has pictures that could destroy the life of Harry's closest friend and ally. In order to stop the evil vampire-sorceress Ma
Luffy
May 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This seventh book in the Dresden Files series, took me on a roller coaster ride tread by many of the fans, yet managed to make the experience nearly pristine and virginal. The book was at first a slow starter, then became a precocious child, then became an overachiever, then, a late bloomer. The entire novel was the work of a workaholic, of that I'm sure.

The series follow a formula only in the broadest sense of the word. I wish to tell Jim Butcher to ditch his cliffhangers. I mean, by that, hi
Steven
Apr 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017, reread
Polka will never die!

#ilovebutters
Israt Zaman Disha
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
“Son. Everyone dies alone. That's what it is. It's a door. It's one person wide. When you go through it, you do it alone. But it doesn't mean you've got to be alone before you go through the door. And believe me, you aren't alone on the other side.”

About this book, it's like any other book of Dresden Files just nastier. When you think things cannot get any worse, all hell break loose something happens to worsen everything. And I cannot help but be surprised at how much will Harry has and how fa
Lena K.
Dec 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Polka will never die!

Such a stark comparison to the previous book. This one was the best I've read so far in the Dresden files. Sue killed it! Bob ruled. Butters is a hero. Thomas is fun. Harry is... well, Harry.
I missed Murphy in this one.

Over all, a great entry and I hope the next one will be just as good.
Wanda
Best Dresden book so far! I approve of the zombie T. rex Sue and all the mayhem that she causes!

Harry, like any good noir detective, is a bit soft-headed when it comes to a dame. This gets him in trouble in every book and this one is no exception. His wry sense of humour helps him deal with the situations that his instinctive responses get him embroiled in.

At least in this installment, Harry gets to know members of the White Council better (and vice versa), finds out that he has fans among the y
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

I had a great time with my re-read of this book! I originally read this series years ago and enjoyed it so much that I decided to pick up the audiobooks to experience it all over again. I have been slowing working my way through the series for a second time often working a book into my reading schedule when I need a bit of a lift. This seemed like the perfect time for a little Harry Dresden and it proved to be a wonderful escape.

Alth
Meg
Aug 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
10/30/13: The one with lots of necromancers. Also the one where the series really solidly shifts into higher gear, in my opinion.

8/25/11: I noticed something about this character last night that I think speaks well of Butcher as a writer: he's managed to write a somewhat sexist character but not sexist books. It's not just because the character admits to being somewhat sexist, but because it's just the main character who has those views. The narrative and development of the supporting characters
Evgeny
Oct 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
I was not sure whether with book deserves 3 or 4 stars until I was introduced to Butters and Sue. Thanks to Sue, the book has the most epic ending of all Dresden Files books so far; the rating jumped to 5 stars - the highest of all Dresden Files book for me.

It starts innocently enough. Mavra, a vampire from Black Court (think Dracula on steroids) who happened to be one of the most powerful Dresden's enemies made an offer to the only official wizard which cannot be refused: find the last book of
Audrey

It took me over two months to get this from the library; some punk had it and returned it over a month late.

“In the action business, when you don’t want to say you ran like a mouse, you call it ‘taking cover.’ It’s more heroic.”

The book begins on my birthday (cool, eh?) and ends on Halloween night: Harry has three days to prevent competing necromancers from using an obscure book to summon immense power that would kill thousands in the process, etc.

With necromancers comes …

… zombies!

Mea
seak
Jan 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Pretty much on-par with Blood Rites. I had a good time, though definitely felt that it was my second Dresden book in a row. I usually try to break them up because I end up feeling trapped if I read a whole series all together (I'm crazy I know), but even moreso with Harry's constant descriptions of his foibles as if he needs to describe them all to new people in the 7th installment of the series!

Other than that, I had lots of fun and a good break from vampires, which I've felt have been a bit ov
Faye, la Patata
Oct 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Did I say the last book was the best installment yet? I WAS OBVIOUSLY KIDDING. No, THIS books is the best installment yet. What is it about this series that just keeps getting better and better and better and better? I just adore how the stakes keep getting higher, and how our dear wizard Harry is always overcome with hurdles that even I am biting my nails in suspense, unsure if he'll even come out of it in one piece. And when he does overcome them in unconventional means, I can't help but sigh ...more
Donna
May 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
I have two GR friends who have said that this series gets better and better with each book. I believe that to be true because these books really do get better, probably because I already love the characters. Harry is a great character. He is constantly evolving and I like that I'm learning something new about him with each new book. The new characters are also just as fascinating, as well as the returning ones.

I like all the fun twists that keep the story moving, often in unexpected ways. The w
Jody McGrath
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Harry Dresden's home is getting crowded. Too bad none of those residents are female, or human. But he doesn't have too much time to complain. Murphy is out of town and an old vamp from the past has pictures that could not only get Murphy thrown off the force, but possibly thrown in jail. Dresden has no choice but to make a deal with this vamp to get the pictures and negatives back. All he has to do is find the word of Kemmler. Not that he has any idea what or who that is.

Needless to say we get
Ashley
Re-read June 2017: So I never actually wrote a real review of this book the first time I read it. It was the end of the year, and I just half-assed something in about two minutes. I just wanted to read it and enjoy it and then be done with it. But seeing as how this is the first truly wonderful book in the series (and don’t even argue with me about this), it really does deserve a full considered review.

This is very nearly a perfect urban fantasy book. It comes soooo close. If it weren’t for Harr
Em Lost In Books
Feb 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014, 4-star, 2000-09
4.5

Its the best book in the series so far (and that extra half star is for Butters and Sue)!!

With Halloween just days away, Harry finds himself blackmailed by Marva into finding “Word of Kemmler”. But Harry even doesn’t know what “Word of Kemmler” is and what it can do or where to find it. If thats not enough three more wizards/necromancers who are powerful than Harry wants “Word of Kemmler” for themselves. And what follows next is endless action and fun.

This book was one hell of a ride right fr
Iryna *Book and Sword*
3.5/5 stars. (rounded down for GR)

Is this a filler book? It feels like a filler book. The previous 2 books were terrific, this one didn't do much for me.
However it still had great moments and the ending was quite good.
Hoping it picks back up in the next book.

My WEBSITE
My INSTAGRAM
My WORDPRESS BLOG
Nicole
Sep 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
There's something so addicting about this series makes you not worried that it's over 20 books.
The Dresden Files...: Book 7: DEAD BEAT (No Spoilers) 1 28 Mar 16, 2020 06:54AM
Play Book Tag: Dead Beat/Jim Butcher 4.5 stars 4 16 Mar 18, 2017 05:41PM
Dresden Files: Thoughts on Dead Beat 2016 5 53 Mar 04, 2017 05:12PM
Saucy Wenches Boo...: Dead Beat (The Dresden Files #7) by Jim Butcher 7 9 Jan 18, 2017 01:54PM
Goodreads Librari...: Page Number Confusion 14 42 Dec 03, 2016 09:07PM
A Million More Pages: 7 - Dead Beat (Dresden Files): Jun 15 84 30 Jun 30, 2015 12:43PM

• My Big Fat Supernatural Wedding
  • Blood Lite III: Aftertaste (Blood Lite, #3)
  • My Big Fat Supernatural Honeymoon
  • Under My Hat: Tales from the Cauldron
  • Many Bloody Returns
  • Straight Outta Tombstone
  • Chosen (Alex Verus, #4)
  • Blood Lite (Hellchaser, #0.5)
  • Fated (Alex Verus, #1)
  • Hexed (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #2)
  • Starsight (Skyward, #2)
  • Cursed (Alex Verus, #2)
  • Hounded (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #1)
  • Our World (The Dresden Files Roleplaying Game, #2)
  • Tricked (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #4)
  • Hammered (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #3)
  • Hidden (Alex Verus, #5)
  • The Burning White (Lightbringer, #5)
Jim Butcher is the author of the Dresden Files, the Codex Alera, and a new steampunk series, the Cinder Spires. His resume includes a laundry list of skills which were useful a couple of centuries ago, and he plays guitar quite badly. An avid gamer, he plays tabletop games in varying systems, a variety of video games on PC and console, and LARPs whenever he can make time for it. Jim currently resi ...more

The Dresden Files (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Storm Front (The Dresden Files, #1)
  • Fool Moon (The Dresden Files, #2)
  • Grave Peril (The Dresden Files, #3)
  • Summer Knight (The Dresden Files, #4)
  • Death Masks (The Dresden Files, #5)
  • Blood Rites (The Dresden Files, #6)
  • Proven Guilty (The Dresden Files, #8)
  • White Night (The Dresden Files, #9)
  • Small Favor (The Dresden Files, #10)
  • Turn Coat (The Dresden Files, #11)